Winston-Salem State University

« See more reviews of Winston-Salem State University

There are many things I wish I could go back and tell my high school senior self from dealing with boys to books. If I had to go back though and say one thing in preparation for college with the college knowledge I have now I would tell myself to get more involved. I'm not saying that I was not involved, because I was in a few clubs and things, it is that I wasn't really involved in the community and business. Being in college I wish I would have thought more of the future and got a job or did more community service. Now because I didn't get involved in those things it is harder to do some of these things and reap the benifits they provide now in college. So I would have pretty much told myself to get a job or something and start making those much needed connections now for later.

Out of my college experience I have obtained so much. First of all the experience is a great opportunity for me. I have learned so much more than I did when I was in grade school. I've exceled in classes such as chemistry and chemistry labs. My writing skills have been improving tremendously. I've went from downhill to uphill since I've been here because I had to open up my eyes and realize the opportunity given to me. Many people don't get this opportunity but I am taking advantage of it. I am on the road to success. College has been very valuable to attend because it has opened up doors for me to enter. It has placed new people in my life and some of the greatest professors. Overall this is a great school due to the great learning experiences and numerous programs offered.

Being a college freshman is a very different experience from high school. There are many things I wish I knew back in high school that could have better prepared me for the big transition. The advice I would give myself is to make sure that I have done all the preparations necessary to make the transition easier. I think the most challenging thing is not leaving home and being away from family but the work that is given and expected in college. The academic level of studies that you are used to in high school is completely different from college. In college you must work harder and stay focused, it?s not like in high school where it was easy to "get by" with work. So I would sum it all up by telling myself to get organized, get focused, and never procrastinate.

As a college student I would advise parents and/ or students to find the right college by doing tours and research. It is improtant not to focus on one particular college, but have options. Be sure to consider accreditation of not only the school, but also the schools programs. Doing research can take some time, but it could also save a student from unnecessary pain. Other information to consider would be the cost, the surrounding area, and the campus life. Is it worth what you pay? Is it a safe community? Does the campus facilitate activites to inspire growth? When you step on that campus it should feel like home in your heart. With any major move in live it should give you that anxious feeling of what it has to offer and challenges that are worth a fight.

Starting your college search early key and essential in selecting the right school. Take advantage of high school workshops and campus visits when offered, and the earlier the better. This will assist in the process of selecting the schools that you really love and eliminating the schools that you thought you would like, but upon visiting realizing the school really isn't for you. Once you've completed the search process it definately makes life a lot easier for the selection process, freeing up time for the search of college money!! School is very expensive especially if attending out of state, therefore ensuring that your focus and dedication are there prior to attending is another definate must in order to make the most of the college experience.

When you try to figure out what school you would like to attend after high school you have to sit down and really think about why you would like to chose this school and how their academics are and how the staff and professors are. You really have to think about it this is a school that you will attend for the next 4-10 years of your life so in choosing you ahve to make sure that this is where you want to go. When getting to college you have to life your life to it's fullest. It's alot of hard work and you really have to focus. It's okay to go out and have fun with friends but if you have work to get done make sure it's done before you go. The college experience is great but it starts with you you have to make it fun.

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be know what your capable of doing ,be open to all colleges, and apply to many as possible. In order to know what i am capable of doing I have to take risk and challenge myself more and then I would really know how strong I can be and encourage myself to do more. This would help me create stronger confidence in myself, which will motivate myself to keep working harder. No matter how tired I am to a certain situation I will always keep going because every thing is not the same there is always on certain piece that can be different. That is why I would be open to all colleges and be able to apply to many as possible because their are many perspectives.

College experience has helped me grow as a person from a kid to a grown man. I've gone from depending on my family for almost everything, to understanding that they will be there all the time to help. So I had to believe in myself to survive each and everyday. So by just attending a university away from home has made me appreciate the little thingsin life. I probably wouldnt have appreciated these things if i was in my comfort zone back home. I feel its valuable to attend college because you experience adulthood and also as an individual you find out things about yourself as you grow. Also you are going to school to do a career you are going to enjoy when you graduate and support your family in the future.

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior about college life and making the transition, then I would begin by telling myself that as soon as I get into college I should start applying for different organizations and clubs, that way I would be able to extend my network of people I know even further. And to also make sure that even though I am just getting into the institution to try and maintain the close relationships with the people that I know in high school still that way if I need them for anything later on in life I can depend on them being there. So that is what I think I would tell myself if I was to go back into the past to my high school self.

My advice to parents and students is to do as much research as humanly possible of the schools you are interested in. Come up with a plan A, B, and C as far as the schools you like and start applying. A lot of young students take for granted their education when someone else is paying for it. I am an adult student attending college and i take it more serious than a lot of other students. My advice to students would be to treat college like a job and take it serious. You can still have fun while there but use your time wisely. These four years come before you know it. Make the most of your college experience by making yourself available for every beneficial opportunity that comes your way.