Winston-Salem State University

« See more reviews of Winston-Salem State University

Since beginning college, I have tried to do my best in all subjects, no matter how boring! My major is nursing and I knew from the start that in order to get into a competitive program - I had to get good grades! There were times that I wanted to bang my head against the wall and cry in frustration, but perseverence truly became an action word in my life and I kept pressing on. I also gained alot more confidence in myself and my abilities through it all. College has broadened my view of the world and has given me opportunities that I never thought possible. I have really worked hard for my grades, but I believe that the harder you work for your goal, the sweeter the goal when achieved.

The advice that I would give myself is to try alot harder when looking for scholarships so that I could be financially stable in the future. Also, I would say, do not take the sciences in high school for granted because if you digest the information in the beginning it will be alot easier to remember it later on in college. I would also say continue doing well in school and making good grades because it will assist you in making it into college. I would also recommend myself to join in more extracurricular activities and be even more active, because even though academics is the main attention of most colleges, "what you can bring to the table" is also weighted as much.

I think if I had the opportunity to go back in time and give myself advice about college knowing what i know now i would tell myself to keep my priorities in order and to never procrastinate. I would also tell myself to stay focused and take all the necessary precautions so that when its time for you to attend college you will be fully prepared. Be active and open-minded in everything that you do. Be confident in yourself and believe that you can do anything that you put your mind to. Last but not least i would tell myself not to turn down someone that is trying to help you, yes be independent but not to independent that you feel like you in this alone, cause your not.

Granted the chance of going back in time , I would advise myself to remember who I am and keep focus on my goals. When I first attended college I had lost sight of those things and did not handle certain situations the right way. Getting used to college life was not hard at all for me. I found it fun, making every single decision on my own about where I was going and how late I should stay out. When it came to doing things for myself ,that is where I lacked skills.I was making decisions for me based on other people that were counting on me to live on their dreams,and although I experienced the hard way I had learned what is right for me is the only right thing!

The most important thing is to have a base of support in school. Dont room with friends because you are both growing and may grow apart, living apart will give them that space and may improve your relationship. you get out as much enjoyment from your school as the effort that you put into it. Participation in extra curricular activities will improve your overall college experience. stay on campus if you can, it will save you money on gas and rent and is more convenient overall. though college is a big deal dont stress about it, plan well and be prepared to pick up the pieces because no matter how prepared you sare college will throw you curve balls

If I could go back in time I would tell myself in high school to apply myself more. I used to think that was something that only parents and high school counselors tell kids but I really wish I knew then what I know now. I would say do not procrastinate. I can't even count how many times I wanted the last minute typing papers and staying up all night and up until the morning when my class began. I would walk in class with red eyes and bags under them when the professor would be at the door with his/her hand out to collect the pages that I spent hours slaving over. Work comes out better when it is not rushed. I would teach myself time management.

The most important thing of any college experience in my opinion is to not waste any money or future career opportunities. In other words, there are too many people in the world who would like to attend college, but do not have accessible funds to do so. Take your college seriously. Encourage your children to go to ALL of their classes and soak up as much knowledge as they possibly can! This world is nothing but a competition, neck to neck, and there is always going to be someone who has one more thing to offer, or is better at a skill than you....LEARN TO NEVER SETTLE FOR AVERAGE!!! someone great once told me "DONT JUST BE GOOD..BE GREAT!!!"

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that college is possible. Having a family or not being financially sound does not mean college has to be put on the back burner. There is so much assistance available to those who want to make a future brighter for themselves. Being a college student doesnt mean life stops. The opportunity is there to find new friends, make life long connections with people whom share alot of the same interest. Although at times it can feel as though it gets tougher, it's really getting easier, so hang in there! In the end the sense of accomplishment smoothes the rest of lifes highway out for you.

I would go back and tell myself to go ahead and go to college as soon as I graduate because now most of my friends are graduating and Im still pushing towards my goal of finishing college. After high school I stay out of school a year and a half and just worked trying to grow up fast and make some money soon realizing that working and paying bills was hard when your only making eight dollars a hour. So I decided to go ahead and enroll in a community college and then transferred to Winston Salem State. So I would tell myself to slow done and keep pushing and focusing on my goals go straight to college don't waste time.

From my humble amount of experience, I advise students to take a very active approach in finding scholarships and universities during the summer preceding their senior year. This is so they may focus on their studies and not be distracted by the prospect of college. In addition, I encourage my fellow students to look specifically at the SAT, GPA and other requirements of a school so that their chances of being accepted may be maximized. To the parents, I only ask that they make sure their children and my peers do not let up in their efforts to find and earn placement in a quality institution of higher education.