Winthrop University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Winthrop University

Bayley

I have dreamed of going to Winthrop University since I was a little girl because I have had multiple family members either attend temporarily or graduate from WU. Winthrop is also very close to my hometown and that played a fairly big factor in me deciding to attend WU. But the main reason why I chose Winthrop is because I want to be a kindergarten teacher and the education program at Winthrop is the best in the state. So far, I have not regretted my decision to go to Winthrop because I have been blown away with how incredible most of my professors were during my freshmen year. I could tell they were all passionate about teaching us and helping all of us get one step closer to reaching our degrees. Winthrop has a very home-like atmosphere that I appreciate and I feel safe on campus. Because of all of these things, I can't wait to see what the rest of my college career holds as a Winthrop Eagle.

Sarah Kelly

I love Winthrop University because of it's beautiful campus, ideal location, and quaint small-town vibe. Located in the heart of the Carolina's, Winthrop holds connections with major business cooperations in nearby Charlotte and boasts a talented art and theatre program. The science degree programs are particularlly outstanding. Perhaps my favorite aspect of this college is the small class sizes (they cap all classes at 30 students.) It is refreshing to have professors who care so much about their students' success. My overall experience with Winthrop Universtiy has been positive. I love my school!

Savannah

Winthrop has a great campus and overall is a very positive environment. Class sizes are small which is ideal for me. I feel very safe and students are friendly. Faculty and staff are always willing to help. We are required to attend cultural events and they are always fun and entertaining.

makayla

Winthrop is a great place to find yourself and find what you love. You have people that will love you for you and accept you for who you are. There are many different types of people here and they are overall very genuine. The teachers really do care and you are a name and not a number. Though there are things that could use improvement I would recommend this school to anyone.

Janie

I believe it is a very inclusive environment. It is inviting and warm and there is a place for everyone on campus. I am very satisfied with Winthrop as a whole. The school makes sure that us students are taken care of and get the entire picture.

Hayley

I think the school is a great fit for me. I went to the school having one idea of what I wanted to do and it accommodated that perfectly. But once I changed my major I was worried that I was not going to find the right thing for me. But once I figured out there were so many other options I found the right one for me. I am highly satisfied where I am now and I think that I am getting the most out of what I am paying for. I do not see myself going anywhere else. Also joining Greek life on campus has made the experience so much more worth my time.

Winthrop is a great school and very open to diversity. The university makes students feel very at home with all the various opportunities at Winthrop. The students are very diverse and with all the events that go on at Winthrop, it is very easy to make connections with new people.

This is my dream school and I love absolutely everything about it. The faculty and staff are always smiling and there is always a smile on their face. There is never a dull moment on campus and there is always plenty of fun stuff to go out and do no matter what time of day it is.

Kreason

Overall Winthrop University is a good school. The class sizes and availability of the professors make success in the classroom relatively easy. However, campus housing could be slightly better; there were issues with pipes bursting and elevators do not always work. The campus is beautiful and if you pay attention you will find many things to do on campus. The students are kind and are willing to lend a helping hand to their peers, professors are always willing to help.

Deminique

Winthrop University is not like most colleges. I know a lot of people usually say that, but it's true. We are a very diverse community from different race, color, languages, backgrounds, and sexuality. This is not a place where you get excluded, everyone is welcomed. There is no labels or separation between people. When you come to this campus, you can be yourself and you will be accepted. There is love all around.

Kalie

Winthrop is a very nice school. I am very excited about starting college and I feel Winthrop is the right school for me. Winthrop has a very safe and protective campus. It is very clean and well organiszed. Overall I think that Winthrop is an awesome university.

Bethany

The view and the campus itself is absolutely breath-taking and I can't wait to go there for my freshman year! Everyone is friendly and engaging when conversing with each other and you can always find people with similar interests with you who you can relate to and become quick friends with. I greatly enjoyed the variety of people around as well as the bright and optimistic atmosphere that always surrounds the campus.

Melanie

I love Winthrop! I am so glad I go there, and it is the best school in the whole country for my major. They have many different majors at Winthrop, and people come from all over the world to go there. You wouldn't think that a small school in a small town would accrue so much interest, but it does. It's a wonderful place!

Alyssa

It is an okay school. I feel like, academically, they could be a lot better. Some of the faculty and staff are difficult to deal with, but there are also those who genuinely care about student achievement. For a graduate student, their doesn't appear to be many opportunities to get involved

Keia

Winthrop University is now a place I call home. I am very comfortable here and feel as if I can reach my full potential here. There are various activities and opportunities to be a part of. I love the student to teacher ratio and how accessible the professors are. Winthrop is a great door opener.

A really good school, I recommend others to enroll. The class sizes are typically small so it's not overwhelming. Everyone is extremely friendly and making friends is never an issue. There are tons of clubs and groups to join to become more involved with the school. However, the weekend can be very boring. Majority of students go home during the weekend just because the only thing to do around here is going​ to Charlotte, but that is very expensive.

Kristina

The Winthrop Experience was great- the courses are challenging, appropriate class sizes, passionate professors, beautiful campus. There is a little bit of everything at Winthrop if you're looking for a small-mid sized university that promotes liberal thinking and exposure to different cultures.

Cara

Winthrop University is a good choice for undergraduate students who don't want to feel like they are just a number. Class sizes are small, so the student is able to receive more one on one attention with the professor. If more attention is needed outside of class, professors make their office hours readily available for students to come see them. Overall, Winthrop is a great choice for undergraduate students because the school offers endless opportunities for students that they may not receive at other institutions!

Jillian

I have visited WU and love the campus. The layout is beautiful and I can't wait to be a future eagle in January 2020!! The sport teams are D1, but WU is missing a football team. We are working to make one and make WU an even more exciting school. I have heard the Pre-Dentistry program is absolutely amazing and I look forward to graduating with a pre-dental major.

Yasmine

Winthrop is a great public 4-year institution for students. It has been my dream school since I was in middle school. I do wish for more funding in the school and the tuition is really high so I do wish that they lower their tuition fees, especially for those coming from out-of-state. Overall, Winthrop is a great campus and I would recommend this university to a family member or friend.

Jazlyn

I think that Winthrop University is an excellent school to go to especially if you would prefer to be in an environment where professors know you by name. The campus is small and quaint, but there is still plenty to do on and off campus. There are a variety of clubs and organizations to fit all tastes, whether you incline to help the community or to jump from a plane from 30,000 ft willingly; to each his own. The size of the campus is very convenient because instead of having to waste gas driving to each of your classes as you would have to at a huge college, students can walk to all of their classes, therefore saving gas and working out at the same time. How pleasant! Winthrop has an awesome gym right next to the student center at the heart of the campus for the students who want to attempt to stick to their new year's resolutions. Fantastic! Unfortunately, unless you are an avid Walgreen's shopper, then there are not many shops nearby that one would be interested in. However, there is an Earthfare down the street a couple of blocks if you are feeling organic, you will have to drive there and utilize that gas, but that's okay because you can use the gas that you didn't use on campus! Outstanding! Plus, you can't put a price on good health! Now I must be honest when I say that if you are a freshman, chances are you will not like freshman housing, but one must expect this. Let's just say, it gets better as you go up in the ranks like pay in the military. Overall Winthrop University is a great school, and I would recommend students to come and join the eagle family.

Yesmine

It is a amazing school. There is something to do for everyone. The dorms could be a little bigger and nicer for freshman. Also there is always something to do on and off campus. The academics are also good especially since it’s a smaller class size compared to their colleges. There is a more hands with the professors as well.

Nia

The price is incredibly high and honestly not worth it. I faced several obstacles as a student of color due to lack of diversity among faculty and staff. Overall I felt unsupported by the university when I was a current student. The quality of the education is slightly above average, but ultimately varies depending on the program you are in.

Be

There could be more equality in every academic college because it is not equal. The diversity is only there when it benefits the college. If there was as much funding going into the colleges as much as the athletic programs there would be equal footing for every student.

Keandra

I am just a visitor but I plan to enroll in Fall. Winthrop University is a beautiful school with a nice campus . The people there are very nice. The classes are small and the professors are great as well. Overall , I have heard that Winthrop is a teaching school and that’s what I want to major in. I absolutely love just about everything about the university.

Ariana

Winthrop University is a very well put together college and a very cool and calm environment. It is so easy to make new friends and get along just fine with professors and do the very best you can. Winthrop is one of the best colleges there is in the US.

kierra

It's a great liberal arts school with many opportunities in order to get involved and meet new people. There is always room for improvement for every college, however, Winthrop becomes a second home once you know you're way around and the surrounding areas.

Katelyn

My overall opinion of Winthrop University is one of high appreciation to the campus and its professors. I was a student at Winthrop for two years before transferring to another college for personal reasons. I developed some of the most valuable relationships with the student body and my mentors that I will cherish them for the rest of my life. Winthrop University is a truly amazing school.

Brianna

My overall opinion of Winthrop University is that it is a good school. Everyone there-faculty, staff, students- is so friendly and welcoming. The professors are very willing to help you-even outside of class. Some of the classes that are required seem pointless or are drawn out too long. For example, ACAD, the "College 101" class this class did help with my adjustment to college; however, after a certain point, the class was busy work and took much-needed attention away from other classes. Some of the resources that they have are ASC tutoring and the writing center. Winthrop also offers many on-campus job opportunities (such as tutoring). The campus is beautiful (when it is not raining) and feels very safe. I feel very safe at night because there is the police forces' presence due to locking up buildings and doing rounds. The dorms are very nice and pretty clean. The only time that they get messy is on the weekends because the custodial staff is not there. Rules are enforced and followed and campus-wide there are not a lot of problems that arise.

Alexander

Winthrop is a mediocre school. There is no football team, which makes the school more depressing than you think as that's one less social event to attend. It is a suitcase school, this place is a total ghost town during the weekends, so if you want to have that college experience, you may want to look into a different school. On campus housing is poor and the food has given a number of students (myself included) food poisoning. Professors are okay, a lot of them contradict themselves and do not show up to office hours. Some teachers do not care if the entire class is failing and the institution is slow to recognize poor professors which causes a lot of students to suffer. The school overall is not bad, but it does tend to carry a depressing vibe on campus.

Hijarah

Winthrop University is a great school, but it has its flaws. The class size is small which is great for me because I feel that I get more attention and help from the instructors. The food is ok but it could be better. The dorm rooms are ok but we did have problems with rodents and fire alarms

Da'von

Overall is great!

Trinity

I love Winthrop because it’s small and class sizes are small! The campus is also BEAUTIFUL and you also stay connected. The food is great I love that they have Chick-fil-A, and a cafeteria with good food. The professors are nice and always willing to help students by offering office hours.

Macy

Its a very good school that could be a little cleaner.

Kendall

I have found Winthrop to truly be my home away from home. I knew the first time I toured that Winthrop is where I wanted to spend the next four years of my life. The people are so nice and genuine and you feel so welcomed stepping on the campus. There are so many organizations that Winthrop offers that accommodates every single student. My favorite thing about Winthrop are how caring the professors are. Every single one of my professors know my name and you don't see that often at other Universities. At Winthrop, you are more than just a number. They also have office hours that are reasonable so if you have any questions or just want to talk you can visit them. If someone is looking for a college where they feel comfortable and homey, I would definitely recommend Winthrop!

Alexis

I do not believe they offer off-campus housing. It is a requirement that 1st and 2nd year student live on campus unless you live within a 50 mile radius. There are always so many activities to be apart of and to be involved in. There is a group for everyone to be apart of. The sports that they do have are fairly good, and the intramural leagues are almost as important as the athletes on scholarship. The campus is very clean and has an "homey'' feeling that comes with it.

Winthrop is a good school if you like a small class size and a small campus. The food is terrible and the housing is not the best. Teachers are easy to reach and usually willing to help, which can substantially improve grades. Partying does happen a good bit but usually only every other weekend. Overall it is not a bad school.

Amber

Winthrop is an amazing school with a friendly and helpful environment. The teachers really care about you, take time to know about your life, and want you to succeed. The variety in extracurricular activities is superb, ranging from a sky diving club, quidditch team, baking club, exercise science club, political party clubs, and so many more. There is really something for everyone on the campus. Additionally, the school always puts on really fun events for free (or really cheap) such as concerts, hypnotists shows, holiday events (cookie making, ornament making, visiting Santa), build your own stuffed animal, make your own sand art, and the campus shows movies at select times in their movie theater. RA's on the Freshman floors also put on some really fun events that help students make friends easily and get to know each other during the first year when the transition to college life can be hard. The school has numerous programs in place as well to help you succeed not only at college but after you graduate as well, such as resume workshops, career fairs, and job listings via email. The school is big enough to have plenty of people and a rich culture of diversity, while also being small enough to know many other students on campus. Winthrop also has many foreign exchange students, so it is really fun and interesting making friends from other countries and learning about their unique cultures. Although Winthrop does not have a football team, basketball is the huge sport students go all out for. Overall, Winthrop University is a wonderful school that actually cares about their students, gives their students a multitude of options to succeed, and pushes their students to do well in life.

Autumn

I am so proud of this school and the opportunities it gives the students. This is my dream school, and I am forever thankful I was able to come here. This is one of the state's best schools for aspiring teachers, which is why I applied. The teacher education program is PHENOMENAL.

kolbi

Winthrop is a well rounded campus. I like seeing the students so involved in their academic studies as well as their extra curricular activities. The campus personnel are very friendly, and they try their hardest to make sure we are taken care of in every way.

Kathryn

Overall my time at the University haas been a positive experience for me. There is a huge emphasis on learning an experiencing other cultures hence the cultural event requirement for graduation but, if that is something you value you shouldn't have much trouble with that. Another positive is that I have not had to hide my political views. There seems to be this stereotype that colleges are overwhelmingly liberal and will suppress conservative opinions, and yes, I would say that overall the majority opinion on politics here is liberal, but I have not encountered anything like that from professors. I have been able to write papers on issues such as gun control and birth control without penalty (considering I got 100% on those particular papers). Some students might dislike you for your opinion, but unless its an election year I haven't experienced many problems in this respect. Despite this I would not recommend this school if you have a disability. The Winthrop campus technically has ramps and elevators to help students with disabilities get to classes but, they don't look well maintained. Also I have very little faith in their Office of Accommodations. A friend of mine had a very severe back injury and had to avoid even mild physical activity to prevent worsening it. This was difficult considering she lived on the third floor of a building without an elevator. Luckily, though there was an empty room on the first floor that they would allow her to move into, the next semester. Despite her and her roommate pestering the school board they would not let her move in sooner. Her injury worsened and it really became unsafe for her to use the stairs. Thankfully, they were able to find a place mid semester that was not far from campus but, unfortunately that is only one battle she had with the School. It's a good campus but, if you do have a disability it might be wise to look elsewhere.

Kaci

Winthrop is a university in my home town that I never intended to attend. Everyone who lives in Rock Hill looks down on Winthrop because it is so close and views it as more of a last resort type of school. However, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Winthrop. My professors are easy to talk to and they are good at their jobs. The class size is small, which allows for better connections with students and professors. I did not think that I would enjoy Winthrop, but it really is a great school.

Portia

I think that Winthrop is an amazing school. The faculty there are very nice, and are always willing to help students with any kind of questions they may have. The campus is nice overall. It’s always clean and in order when I visit, and the food is always healthy and efficient.

Charles

My overall rating for Winthrop University is a four out of five stars amazing people amazing atmosphere however there are some things they can approve on such as freshman dorm room.They are a little bit nasty in my opinion and I’m only free to the bathrooms when I say this with other freshmen boys can get really complicated I feel like the freshman should be split up between upperclassman

Tyion

It is a great campus and place to study, filled with great people and awesome places. It gives people the feel of big city living without all the traffic, plus it’s only 30 minutes away from Charlotte. The class sizes are small and the professors learn/know the students name. They are very easy to reach either by email or during their office hours.

Kyle

Winthrop University is one of the most diverse universities in South Carolina regarding student population. This diversity makes it easier to share differing ideas and have thorough discussions into certain topics and subjects. The diversity seen on campus also makes it a very open and accepting campus where anyone can feel free to be themselves without fear of judgement, this helps make for a good learning environment because you don't have to worry about what others may or may not be thinking about you. Another aspect of Winthrop that helps make the academics exceptional here, and a reason we are one of the top schools in the Southeast region, is the fact that the average class size is right under 30, with biggest being offered is not much above 60. This allows for more one on one interactions between students and the professors, who are here to help each student succeed and not hinder their success as a student. These are just a few of my opinions of Winthrop University and why I think it is such an amazing university that helps to foster the success of each student while allowing everyone to be themselves and express themselves and their ideas.