Springfield, OH
Wittenberg University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wittenberg University

Brandy

Wittenberg is a beautiful spot to learn from great teachers.

Wittenberg is a beautiful spot to learn from great teachers.

I have gotten an education, which is a priceless thing to have. Studying political science has expanded my world view and the way I look at everything in society. It has made me more in tune with society.

It is a fun, quaint place with lots of good opportunities.

Everyone here talks about the "Witt Light" and the "Witt Family," and while these sound really corny to prospectives, you learn within the first weeks and months what these really mean. You learn to embrace and pass on your light and that the people you're spending these four years with will always ask how high if you say to jump. Wittenberg is my home away from home.

Witt is definitely a student-run campus, and these people are definitely people that you will stay friends with for the rest of your life. There's not much else to say, other than that it really is family.

A lot of times, people ask me why I would leave Massachusetts, which is often regarded as having some of the best colleges in the country, to go to a small college that they've never heard of in Ohio. And all I have to say is that it felt right. The minute I stepped on Witt's campus, I knew this was the place I HAD to spend the next four years of my life, and it really is the fairy-tale college experience. I heard about Witt from an alum, and one other thing I love about Wittenberg is the passion that students, faculty, staff, and alumni alike all share for this place. It's the people that make the place so special! Tiger up :)

A lot of kids are from Ohio, yes, and we do have a lot of student athletes, but SO many of the students wouldn't be able to be here if it weren't for some sort of aid. There's a good racial mix. Witt has a lot to do once you stop hitting the books, other than drinking, if you know where to look.

Witt's a small, liberal arts college, and it definitely has that feel. I've been on a first name basis with countless professors, many of them will invite full classes over for dinner at the end of a semester, and you really do get cell phone numbers on many of the syllabi. Professors will go out of their way to make sure you're understanding the material, and will generally be available outside of office hours-even just to say hi. The resources, such as the Oral Communication Center, the Foreign Language lab, the Math Workshop, and the Writing Center, are priceless.

There's so much to do at Witt. Nobody's ever bored. Somebody always wants to do something, and there's always somebody else to do it with. While we do sometimes tend to stay "in the bubble" of campus, leaving campus can provide some fun and memorable adventures. Intramurals are so much fun, and so competitive, and the championship shirt is definitely worth it. There's definitely stuff to do on campus other than drink, even if some people say that's all there is at Witt!

Witt kids are typically rich, white, athletes from Ohio. There's nothing to do other than study and drink.

Amy

The best thing about Wittenberg is the friendly atmosphere. Walking to class during the day, I always see people to say hello to, and I always feel like a valuable part of the community. More than just seeing friendly faces, I am surrounded by beautiful scenery and green space every day.

Although Wittenberg's student body may appear to be rather homogeneous, diversity does exist here. While the university is affiliated with the Lutheran Church, this affiliation is in no way, shape, or form an overbearing aspect of campus life. Spirituality is what you make of it here at Witt--there are many opportunities to worship, but nothing is forced upon the students. Students here really find their passions and work to pass their light onto others by getting involved with clubs and other student organizations.

Streak the hollow. Love the traditions. Tiger up.

Our professors are amazing. They are so open to their students, and they want to get to know us as people, not just as another face in a classroom. I have had dinner at my professors' houses before and I can feel the love they have for their subject matter and their students every day when I go to class.

Sports teams are like families here at Wittenberg, but that doesn't mean you have to be part of a sports team to have friends on those teams. The campus as a whole is very supportive of each others' activities and events, with non-Greek students attending Greek philanthropy fundraisers and with student athletes of one team going to cheer on another team. There is so much going on here on any given night-from comedians to student performers to movie nights, students are only bored if they refuse to leave their room.

Wittenberg students tend to be very involved and have a lot of school spirit. Students are very friendly and generally love Witt.

Regan

Wittenberg holds a lot of faith on traditions: no stepping on the seal, sledding down the hollow on first snow, W-day, Wittenberg vs. Wooster rivalry, the kissing bridge, etc., but I feel like there's a lot of merit to the creation and fostering of your own traditions. Whether that means a tackle football game on the football field during the first blizzard, a semi-annual rootbeer float party, jamming all your friends onto one table at the dining room for a birthday, or buying a pizza after every intramural victory.

Wittenberg is a very small school so if you're active on Wittenberg's campus, you're going to meet most of them. Our student body is very active through our 100+ student organizations on campus. They're not exclusive either: a member of the track team doesn't just stick with the track team, they usually have friends that span different orientations - friends from bio class, from greek life, from their intramural team, or from their dorm room. Seeing the amount of networking that goes on between all these different groups is really interesting and extremely encouraging.

Wittenberg is awesome - take advantage of Founders Pub by the time you're 21, don't kiss Wally Witt, and go outside of your comfort zone.

The stereotype may be accurate, but through scholarship funds and broadened admissions practices the stereotype is slowly being dismantled.

Academic life is great because of the professors. They're always, always, always willing to help a student out if they need some aid on homework, studying for a test, or for any other number of reasons. Talking to a professor is as easy as shooting them an e-mail, calling them on their provided phone numbers, or walking into their office during office hours. I have an interesting point of view just because I have one class where it's only two students and one professor so I get a lot of one on one time with the professor, increasing my understanding of the material exponentially.

There are tons of activities going on around campus at all times. There is rarely a night where some club is not giving away free food or doing something ridiculous to raise money for a good cause. Joining clubs is something I strongly encourage as a means to get to know new people here on campus. The Society of Physics Students, which I am president of, is co-sponsoring an ice cream social this week, and as a member of the outdoors club, I have the chance to go skydiving at the end of the month. I am also involved in greek life and I love it, but I wasn't involved with it my first three years on campus and I still enjoyed campus-life immensely so I do not see fraternities or sororities as things that are dependent on you having fun. And lastly, people party hardy here.

I do not think that there are any prevalent stereotypes that proliferate around the student body other than what admissions statistics tell you: majority of students are middle class Caucasian.

Jesse

The school is the perfect size in my opinion. It is small in a sense that you will always recognize someone no matter where you go, but at the same time there will always be a face you do not recognize. It is this perfect balance that allows Wittenberg to feel the perfect size to me. Wittenberg students are very proud of their school and show it in every campus activity possible! Tiger spirit is the way to go!

Wittenberg is a diverse campus and is only striving to become increasingly diverse every year. Students wear sweatpants, polos, skirts, anything really! All different types of students interact no matter what you wear, how you look, or what activities you associate yourself with.

They are not, seeing that Wittenberg is a top-ranked, liberal arts institution at which students succeed and strive to do their best.

Academic life at Wittenberg is definitely challenging, but even more rewarding. I have personal relationships with all of my professors and know that if I ever struggle with anything- be it academic related or not- they are there for me to talk with. I am a biology major but an english minor, allowing me to balance my relationships with the science faculty as well as the humanities faculty. This was an excellent choice for me and also makes me stand out for graduate school applications as it shows that I am capable of using both sides of my brain!

Social life is fantastic at Wittenberg! Everyone knows each other (for the most part) and you always see friends out on the weekends. I enjoy hanging out with lots of friernds over the weekends and there are always activities going on on-campus- be they drinking or not drinking related. It is perfectly acceptable to abstain from alcohol on this college campus, which is a rarity at a lot of other college campuses. Students in dorms are very friendly and always leave doors open in the hopes of meeting new people and making new plans for the day/evening.

A stereotype about Wittenberg students is that we are all play and no work. But this is not the case! Wittenberg students exhibit the perfect balance between playing hard and working harder. We enjoy having fun and social experiences while at college, but are also very good at factoring in school work, academic commitments, and extracurriculars.

Alex

Wittenberg is not too small and it’s not too big. You can go to class and know one or two people but yet make a new friend and see people you have never seen before. It is really like a big extended family.

The student body at Wittenberg is very diverse, and full of people not only from around the country but from around the world. The first night I was here I met a kid from Delaware, Germany, and Austria. In the dinning hall people are very friendly and willing to let you sit at their table and talk to you. The student body at Wittenberg really is like a big family and by your senior year you won’t want to leave.

Wittenberg was the last school I looked at in my college search and it was clearly the best. I encourage people to come visit the campus and see what it is all about.

We are a small school but not as small as people say. We have a spread out campus over a beautiful piece of land. Also you can go to class and know one or two people and come out knowing everyone in the class.

The Academic life at Wittenberg is very impressive. The majority of students are very focused on getting good grades, and succeeding later in life. The professors are amazing, whether it’s there willingness to help you or there friendliness outside of class. They invite classes to their homes for dinner and have a very personal relationship with their student (unlike big schools). Wittenberg's academic requirements also help students find what they want to do later in life. They make you take classes in fields that you may not be comfortable in, but it is worth it. You get a great taste of other majors and departments.

There are plenty of activities that are available to kids here at Wittenberg. Unlike a big school it is easy to get involved in many activities on campus whether a club sport or an organization. it is also very easy to start a club sport or organization. Kids are very willing to join and try out new things they have never done before.

A stereotype about Wittenberg is that we are a very small school

I have learned so much about political science including those that are related to foreign policy and philosophy. It has been valuable because I have made many friends who are like minded like I am. I was a poor student in high school who's GPA was a 2.8 and a poor student in my previous college (my GPA was below a 2.0 at that time). However in my first semester I received a 3.5 GPA and was put on the Dean's List. In one of my classes (Modern Political Philosophy) my professor gave me a an A- in that course and when that course started I thought I would be happy if I received a C. In that class I read so many interesting books including those written by Marx, John Locke, J.S. Mill and Rousseau. I was also able to intern in Washington D.C. and work for the Heritage Foundation. Interning there gave me the opportunity to see famous people such as Jim DeMint and Art Laffer.

That I was not allowed to bring a rice cooker in my dorm.

Brendan

Wittenberg is a liberal arts school with around 2,000 students located in Springfield, Ohio. My favorite part about Witt is the family atmosphere. Inside of the classroom, professors are always willing to go the extra mile for their students whether it is tutoring beyond office hours or being a friend to a stressed out student. Outside the classroom, Witt is a gorgeous campus filled with friendly students. Since you see at least ten people you know on your way to class, students are always smiling and saying hello to one another.

The student body is what makes Wittenberg’s campus IMPECCABLE! At Wittenberg, we truly have a “Tiger Family.” Since Witt is a small campus, you always see someone you know from point A to point B. Witt students are always active with sports, academics, student organizations and/or being leaders of tomorrow.

The naked truth is that Wittenberg is awesome. From the outside looking in, Wittenberg may seem like a minuscule school with nothing to offer. After a visit or an over-night, one will realize everything Witt has for its students. From the traditions, sports teams, student organizations, Greek life and academic opportunities, Wittenberg University is one of the top universities within the state of Ohio!

The truth of the matter is Wittenberg has plenty of academic and social opportunities for students. Recently, Wittenberg was voted by the Princeton Review for having the best professors who care about their students and the in class experience. Each year Wittenberg graduates are accepted into top graduate/medical schools, professional jobs or enter into volunteer organizations. On the other side of things, Wittenberg has over 85 student organizations. From Union Board to Student Senate or Athletes for Christ to Astronomy Club, Witt has it all. Also known for their “Witt Wednesdays,” a comedian, musical artist or trivia night are offered as activities for students. With top tier sports teams, a student can always find something fun and exciting to attend.

The academic life at Wittenberg is serious. You will be required to spend time outside of the classroom studying and properly preparing for class. Students are unable to just breeze through a course and not put any effort into their class work. Besides the remarkable professors who are always willing to help, Witt has numerous academic services including the Oral Communications Center, Math Workshop and Foreign Language Lab to provide assistance to struggling students.

With over 80 student organizations, there is always something going on around campus. The newly renovated games room called “Doppelgangers” or campus activity space/pub “Founders” also provides evening opportunities for students. Witt is a college institution and students do consume certain beverages of the weekend at house parties. But, don’t worry if that isn’t your activity of choice. Many students go out and decide not to drink alcohol at parties but rather just hang out with friends. Also, there are plenty of other activities going on during the weekend to keep students entertained and having a good time!

One of the biggest stereotypes about Wittenberg is that the campus is too small and there is nothing to do for students. Another stereotype is that students are unable to receive a high, superior education like you could at a major state school.

For me, Wittenberg is the perfect size. There are enough students that you don’t get bored but it is small enough that we all feel like a big family. The campus is beautiful and everyone is very welcoming and friendly, which is something that stood out to me on my campus tour. The best part of Wittenberg is probably the faculty.

Wittenberg students come from all over the country and we have multiple international students. We are working on improving our racial diversity. Everyone is welcoming so no matter where you come from or what year you are; you will feel comfortable on campus.

Wittenberg is a great school where you will meet amazing people and make memories that will last a lifetime. It is a lot of work but it is also a lot of fun!

Absolutely false. Yes, Wittenberg’s ticket price is pretty expensive, but many do not pay near that amount. The financial aid office will work with you to help find every option possible to help you afford Wittenberg.

The professors are very accommodating and you can build a one-on-one relationship with them because of the small class sizes. The classes are challenging but still interesting.

There are tons of student organizations on campus and if we don’t have an organization that you are looking for, it is really easy to make the group. It is a small school but there is always a lot to do on campus and most students choose to stay on campus during the weekends. Campus is close to multiple restaurants, movie theatres, and malls. Also, we are close to Columbus and Dayton so you can also explore the bigger cities on the weekends if you so desire.

There is a stereotype that all Wittenberg students are wealthy.

Jesse

Wittenberg is a smaller university, with a student:teacher ratio of 12:1 which is awesome, because class sizes stay smaller and work with profs is more personal. Everyone acts like a family, in that they really care for you on campus, students and faculty alike. School pride is amazing, like Code Red games when everyone becomes a sea of red in the stands, or just a normal football game can get packed. This is a great school for someone who wants to build friendships for life.

We have a great diversity on campus. We have people from most states and quite a few countries, and everyone learns side by side and many study side by side in the library too. There are lots of clubs where someone can find people that are from their belief system/religion/background/etc. but at the same time there are lots of ways to reach out and make new friends as well.

Wittenberg is a fun place to be, where people can be on campus, try spreading their wings, and not have to fear about falling because someone will be there to pick them up and someone else will be falling next to them. Everyone here is learning to become mature while having fun and learning life skills, it's just a wonderful place.

ABSOLUTELY NOT! There are tons of people from tons of backgrounds at Witt, which is part of why Wittenberg is so awesome.

Classes are small and professors take a personal interest in those that are willing to put forth the effort to learn. This isn't a school that takes kindly to people that think they can just get by not paying attention with no real drive to learn, but for the person with learning and fun on their mind, this is the place to do it!

There are a multitude of clubs on campus, and from all over the spectrum. Gaming, sports, science, reading, and more are all covered and there isn't a day that some club isn't meeting or doing something fun on campus. There are also lots of places to hang out on and off of campus, including the pub (which you have to be 21 to drink at but not to eat at) and game room on campus or the bowling alley off.

That because the university is expensive everyone comes from a well off family from well off neighborhoods and only one walk of life.

Wittenberg University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.