Springfield, OH
Wittenberg University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wittenberg University

Emma

Even though it's a small school, Wittenberg embraces diversity in every class that attends; it may be daunting to go to a new place where there is no familiarity of home, but at Witt there is always someone that can be related to.

My high school self was always scared. I was cautious and worried about how welcoming my college environment would be. How could people that I've never even met before be comfortable with my being gay when I could hardly admit it to myself? How woud I ever tell my roommate that I had a girlfriend without her being uncomfortable? Would I be ostracized because I went to a religiously affiliated school? If I could go back in time I would find that frightened girl and would tell her that she'll be safe; she won't have to hide who she is in the future. There won't be any hurtful words said or cruel jokes stabbed at her. In college, she'll finally be free of the secrecy that surrounds her every day. I would hold that girl, pull her close, wipe a tear from her worried eyes, and say "You will be loved."

I wish I would've known that Wittenberg is a safe, friendly environment and that the professors are good, genuine people who want to see success in every pupil. My experience just in this first year has been life-altering; WIttenberg has exceeded my expectations time and time again.

Sara

Wittenberg University offers a unique education to their students by being a liberal arts institution that provides their students with the tools they need to be successful in their studies as well as any and all of their future endeavors.

I would tell myself first and foremost, that the fact that I am really great at managing my time wisely will come in handy at Wittenberg. I would tell myself to not be afraid to ask questions and explore, because you may not be talking about it in class, but that does not mean it will not come in handy in the future. Don't be afraid to talk to people, and I mean everyone. Everyone wants someone to talk to. Don't be afraid to talk to that girl on move in day that looks like she could use a friend. Don't be afraid to talk to your professors outside of class. Don't be afraid to cancel plans because you have a lot of homework to do. It may stink to do homework on a Friday night, but it will definitely reward you later. Lastly, don't be afraid to try something new. It may end up being "your calling."

I brag about our professors because they are the absoulte best! They always provide the class with their personal numbers and often have the class over for dinner a few times a semester. They are really flexible with their time and are willing to work around your schedule to make sure you are provided with the attention you need and deserve.

AJ

Coming from unique, rich backgrounds, all Wittenberg students have common values that are the foundation of what makes our traditionally warm campus such a close-knit family.

Being a new student orientation assistant this year, I gained a lot of insight into my own college experience by hearing the stories of the incoming freshman class. A frequent question was how to be successful at Wittenberg. I did not have an immediate answer the first time I was asked that question. After digesting my thoughts for awhile, I came up with a very simple answer: be yourself. When I was going through the college search process, Wittenberg did not just tell me what it could do for me. Everyone at Wittenberg cared about what I could do for the school. I am sure that most college campuses place the same value on student participation and initiative. College is about finding your calling and the only way to do that is by being yourself from the moment you step on campus. That is what has made me so successful here at Wittenberg. In life, we do not always appreciate something unless it is taken away or we imagine it being gone. I appreciate being at Wittenberg every day because I am constantly humbled by the school and my classmates who have taught me to be myself since day one.

I would tell myself to do the work in high school in a timely manner and to not put everything off until the last minute. I would tell myself to actually do the reading that was assigned when it was assigned. I need to also save my money now and not blow it on pointless things. The money I save now will help me later in life.

I wish I had known how different college was from high school.

I love my school. There is nothing frustrating about it.

victor

The advice I would give myself is not listen to sh!tty brochures like I did because half of those stupid things are entirely true. The things not mentioned in brochures are the crappy food, the transportation to stores for neccessities and the fact that there are crows on campus that splat on the school.

The registration for classes are a pain in the butt becuase you have to scedule to meet with your advisore before scheduling any class that you want. In the meantime classes will be leaving left and right because all of the students will try to get all of the easy and most needed classes which leaves your options as a freshman to a hold because the rest of the classes suck. Wittenberg isn't the place for me but it might be the place for you. Goodluck and have fun but I will not be stepping foot in Springfield, OH.

A person that shouldn't attend this school is someone who is from a big city because there is nothing to do in the city.

Kiley

Wittenberg is a tight-knit university. We are small and personal, which is one of the reasons I chose to come here. I also came here to further my athletic career. I'm in my second semester of my first year and I have loved it so far.

College is a completely different experiene than high school. In college students are more independent and this requires more responsibilty. The courses are tougher, but they are preparing you for the real world. College is a great way to meet people and getting involved in different activities gives you a better chance to create friendships that will last for the rest of your life. I've just started my college career and I have already found friends that I am closer to than my friends from home, and I know our relationships will stay the same for years to come.

The best thing about our school is, again, how personal it is. Classes are small, usually around 30 students. It very easy to meet people around campus. The student-athletes are also a very close community within the school, but non-athletes here find just as good as a niche to be a part of.

Brandy

Wittenberg is a beautiful spot to learn from great teachers.

Wittenberg is a beautiful spot to learn from great teachers.

I have gotten an education, which is a priceless thing to have. Studying political science has expanded my world view and the way I look at everything in society. It has made me more in tune with society.

It is a fun, quaint place with lots of good opportunities.

Everyone here talks about the "Witt Light" and the "Witt Family," and while these sound really corny to prospectives, you learn within the first weeks and months what these really mean. You learn to embrace and pass on your light and that the people you're spending these four years with will always ask how high if you say to jump. Wittenberg is my home away from home.

Witt is definitely a student-run campus, and these people are definitely people that you will stay friends with for the rest of your life. There's not much else to say, other than that it really is family.

A lot of times, people ask me why I would leave Massachusetts, which is often regarded as having some of the best colleges in the country, to go to a small college that they've never heard of in Ohio. And all I have to say is that it felt right. The minute I stepped on Witt's campus, I knew this was the place I HAD to spend the next four years of my life, and it really is the fairy-tale college experience. I heard about Witt from an alum, and one other thing I love about Wittenberg is the passion that students, faculty, staff, and alumni alike all share for this place. It's the people that make the place so special! Tiger up :)

A lot of kids are from Ohio, yes, and we do have a lot of student athletes, but SO many of the students wouldn't be able to be here if it weren't for some sort of aid. There's a good racial mix. Witt has a lot to do once you stop hitting the books, other than drinking, if you know where to look.

Witt's a small, liberal arts college, and it definitely has that feel. I've been on a first name basis with countless professors, many of them will invite full classes over for dinner at the end of a semester, and you really do get cell phone numbers on many of the syllabi. Professors will go out of their way to make sure you're understanding the material, and will generally be available outside of office hours-even just to say hi. The resources, such as the Oral Communication Center, the Foreign Language lab, the Math Workshop, and the Writing Center, are priceless.

There's so much to do at Witt. Nobody's ever bored. Somebody always wants to do something, and there's always somebody else to do it with. While we do sometimes tend to stay "in the bubble" of campus, leaving campus can provide some fun and memorable adventures. Intramurals are so much fun, and so competitive, and the championship shirt is definitely worth it. There's definitely stuff to do on campus other than drink, even if some people say that's all there is at Witt!

Witt kids are typically rich, white, athletes from Ohio. There's nothing to do other than study and drink.

Amy

The best thing about Wittenberg is the friendly atmosphere. Walking to class during the day, I always see people to say hello to, and I always feel like a valuable part of the community. More than just seeing friendly faces, I am surrounded by beautiful scenery and green space every day.

Although Wittenberg's student body may appear to be rather homogeneous, diversity does exist here. While the university is affiliated with the Lutheran Church, this affiliation is in no way, shape, or form an overbearing aspect of campus life. Spirituality is what you make of it here at Witt--there are many opportunities to worship, but nothing is forced upon the students. Students here really find their passions and work to pass their light onto others by getting involved with clubs and other student organizations.

Streak the hollow. Love the traditions. Tiger up.

Our professors are amazing. They are so open to their students, and they want to get to know us as people, not just as another face in a classroom. I have had dinner at my professors' houses before and I can feel the love they have for their subject matter and their students every day when I go to class.

Sports teams are like families here at Wittenberg, but that doesn't mean you have to be part of a sports team to have friends on those teams. The campus as a whole is very supportive of each others' activities and events, with non-Greek students attending Greek philanthropy fundraisers and with student athletes of one team going to cheer on another team. There is so much going on here on any given night-from comedians to student performers to movie nights, students are only bored if they refuse to leave their room.

Wittenberg students tend to be very involved and have a lot of school spirit. Students are very friendly and generally love Witt.

Regan

Wittenberg holds a lot of faith on traditions: no stepping on the seal, sledding down the hollow on first snow, W-day, Wittenberg vs. Wooster rivalry, the kissing bridge, etc., but I feel like there's a lot of merit to the creation and fostering of your own traditions. Whether that means a tackle football game on the football field during the first blizzard, a semi-annual rootbeer float party, jamming all your friends onto one table at the dining room for a birthday, or buying a pizza after every intramural victory.

Wittenberg is a very small school so if you're active on Wittenberg's campus, you're going to meet most of them. Our student body is very active through our 100+ student organizations on campus. They're not exclusive either: a member of the track team doesn't just stick with the track team, they usually have friends that span different orientations - friends from bio class, from greek life, from their intramural team, or from their dorm room. Seeing the amount of networking that goes on between all these different groups is really interesting and extremely encouraging.

Wittenberg is awesome - take advantage of Founders Pub by the time you're 21, don't kiss Wally Witt, and go outside of your comfort zone.

The stereotype may be accurate, but through scholarship funds and broadened admissions practices the stereotype is slowly being dismantled.

Academic life is great because of the professors. They're always, always, always willing to help a student out if they need some aid on homework, studying for a test, or for any other number of reasons. Talking to a professor is as easy as shooting them an e-mail, calling them on their provided phone numbers, or walking into their office during office hours. I have an interesting point of view just because I have one class where it's only two students and one professor so I get a lot of one on one time with the professor, increasing my understanding of the material exponentially.

There are tons of activities going on around campus at all times. There is rarely a night where some club is not giving away free food or doing something ridiculous to raise money for a good cause. Joining clubs is something I strongly encourage as a means to get to know new people here on campus. The Society of Physics Students, which I am president of, is co-sponsoring an ice cream social this week, and as a member of the outdoors club, I have the chance to go skydiving at the end of the month. I am also involved in greek life and I love it, but I wasn't involved with it my first three years on campus and I still enjoyed campus-life immensely so I do not see fraternities or sororities as things that are dependent on you having fun. And lastly, people party hardy here.

I do not think that there are any prevalent stereotypes that proliferate around the student body other than what admissions statistics tell you: majority of students are middle class Caucasian.

Wittenberg University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.