Wittenberg University

« See more reviews of Wittenberg University

Wittenberg is a place that I have really come to know and love. I love the campus, but more so I love the people that make up the campus...peers and staff alike. I also love the motto of Wittenberg, "Having light we pass it on to others." When asked, "Why Witt?" The universal answer is "it just felt right" and I think that this has a lot to do with seeing the Witt light on campus when you first visit. Another popular motto around here, which was said by Wittenberg's President, is "Bringing the world to Wittenberg and Wittenberg to the world." As much as we tend to be stereotyped as a "bubble" I see the balance between our bubble and the world and that has been a very enriching experience for myself and many others. I have come to love the city of Springfield as well as the opportunities that we are afforded here at Witt. This summer, I will travel abroad to Lesotho and make a deeper connection to the world. One other thing I love about Witt is the passion the Alumni still have for this place. It may sound silly but I can assure you, I will feel the same way once I graduate from this place. It is truly wonderful!

I think at times, Witt can be unreasonable. Sometimes there is a lack of help with what students REALLY need. Like the fact that the bathrooms in firestine have mold everywhere and the heaters break on a regular basis. I think that every student would agree that we'd rather have on less Witt Series speaker and put that money to improving the DAILY lives of students. Sometimes big things are emphasized and the little things, that usually have much more of an impact are put on the back shelf. As far as exclusion goes, it can be very easy for a student to be excluded from campus or to feel powerless. I personally haven't felt this way, but I've witnessed it many times. Between the possibility of being rejected in rush and the very public secret society system, students can feel unimportant and small. Once you are here, it's easy to feel deceived into thinking that Witt is one big happy family when it's not. The same people run the same stuff.

Wittenberg University appears to be just like any other private, liberal arts college on the surface. Somewhere between the professors, the students, the lectures, and the labs, something is unique to the university. Maybe it's the professors who can step off of their highly educated platform and really speak to their students on an intellectual and emotional level. Maybe it's the closeness of the students that makes the campus feel like a home. I can't pinpoint what exactly makes Wittenberg unique, but if one just steps onto the brick pathway, you might begin to understand.

Witt is a great place. It not only gives you an education but grows you as a person. When I fist came here I had no idea what I wanted to do. I didn't even have a direction, but Witt shaped me into the person I am today. I have made friends here, both students and professors, that I will have forever. I feel like I am prepared for the real world outside of college, and I know I have Witt to thank for that. I would recommend Witt to anyone looking for more than an education. Who is looking to learn as well as to grow.

It's big enough ,but not so small that you're not always meeting new people. Friends here really do become your family away from home, and I know that I'll be bonded with these people for the rest of my life. You can just be yourself here. Of course there are "groups" formed, but your membership in any one group, doesn't affect your ability to hang out with people from other groups, or to traverse through several at once. I really like that! The other schools I considered would've just made me a number.

All the schools I looked at generally had a lot of the same characteristics. I wanted a small liberal arts school so that I could get close to my peers and professors and explore different subjects that interest me. But what set Wittenberg apart from the others was the atmosphere. Not only is the campus gorgeous but there's something in the air that made it feel right. The people would walk by and smile even if I didn't know them and I could see myself living here for the next four years of my life.

There are students of different races, different talents, different majors, and different hobbies on our campus. When people come to Wittenberg, they notice that no one looks the same, and that is what college is supposed to prepare you for. Because our campus is so small, everyone is friendly and helpful to one another. We hold doors open for each other, give gifts to each other, and care about one another. It is a really personal school, which is something that every university does not have.

I have never felt so at home as I have at Witt. I'm moving into an apartment with two girls that I know I will be best friends for life with, and one, who can't move away from the dorms, may just be there all the time too. Witt is a place where you can feel like you are home without your parents and still be completely comfortable to make daring moves and mistakes, because everyone else is doing that too and they are all together at Witt to help each other get back up and learn!

The Naked Truth is everything that I've said earlier. Wittenberg is a great institution with great faculties, students, and community. I contemplated transferring and I thank God that I didn't. Wittenberg turns girls and boys into Men and Women who can go out in the world and be successful. It's weakness, as I mentioned earlier, is in diversity. They have a low faculty and student population who are minority students and I think there is a lot more that they can do.

Wittenberg's campus is diverse in more ways than ethnicity or race, including all different religions, extra curricular acitivities and majors. A joke around campus is that everyone is too involved, but that's only because there are so many great opportunites, from kayaking club to the Greek Life. Though we are all very different people, there is a stong sense of community and everyone offers a helping hand when it is needed.