Wittenberg University

« See more reviews of Wittenberg University

Wittenberg doesn't have to be a bubble if you're willing to explore the Springfield area. There are many service and social related opportunities to interact with members of the Springfield community in a positive way.

Nope. 1. A lot students here are broke and most of the students that are well off, are not flashy or arrogant 2. Many students are, especially if you're from where I'm from, but being friendly is a good thing!!

Not at all! I do not come from a "rich" family, so affordability was key. Through scholarships, grants, and loans, I was easily able to pay for it without much worry.

The stereotype may be accurate, but through scholarship funds and broadened admissions practices the stereotype is slowly being dismantled.

for the most part, yes. but they can be taken in different ways. to me being preppy isn't a bad thing, but to someone else it could be.

These stereotypes aren't accurate, Witt students are very hard working and have high standards to follow.

No, not necessarily. Most students are on some form of financial aid.

Yes, to some extent. But I really like the bubble!

Yes, for the most part

I wouldn’t characterize Witt students as poor, but to say all students are extraordinarily wealthy is inaccurate. Witt is extremely generous with its aid packages. Most students will be the first to admit that without their scholarship, they couldn’t afford to come to Witt, and the package is a big part of why they’re here. I have friends who have taken out significant loans to come to Witt, whose parents aren’t paying for any or much of their education. Witt is lacking in racial diversity as well as having a high number of international students. Yet this is also something that the institution recognizes and is working on increasing. Hopefully it should be changing in the next few years. In general, there are a lot of students from Ohio at Witt, but the number of Ohio graduating seniors is on the decline, forcing Witt to look to other geographic areas to recruit students. The class of 2012 had a closer to 60/40 split in terms of Ohio/out of state. The “Witt Bubble” is what students make of it. Wittenberg requires students participate in community service to graduate (27 hours + time for reflection), which forces students to get off campus and into the community. It makes students aware of the issues faced in the Springfield community. Witt also subscribes to the New York Times, with copies available in academic buildings, dorms, and the student center. This helps expose students to what is going on off campus at a national and international level as well Finally, while it may feel like everyone is Greek during recruitment or Bid Day, in reality, only 40% of the campus is part of Greek life.