Wittenberg University

« See more reviews of Wittenberg University

Greek life is a growing population on campus. About 30% of students are Greek. I am Greek but I don't think that it is the same type of organization portrayed on TV or in movies. Sororities and Fraternities are social organizations however they are a way to take leadership positions and get involved. Athletics is another organization that a lot of students are involved in. Every spring WittFest takes place in the hollow. WittFest is a day full of music, games, food and craziness. A semi-famous band plays in the evening but any other band or musical group can try-out to play during the day. The whole thing is FREE and the majority of campus attends. Parties are a normal thing to find in off-campus houses or apartments. You can expect a plethora of parties to occur on any given night, especially on the weekends. There are two bars in walking distance of campus that Witt students frequent almost any night of the week.

We have a vibrant social life, and it is a lot of fun! Big nights to go out on campus are on Wednesday (academically permitting), Friday, and Saturday nights. There are plenty of other things to do though! Supporting Tiger athletics is one of my favorite alternatives to partying, as well as finding a group to watch a movie with. Students leave their doors open in the dorms, and its a great way to meet new people! Lots of students date, but its not the culture where most of your friends are engaged by junior or senior year. If you're awake at 2am on a Tuesday you're probably cramming! There are tons of campus traditions, stepping on the seal, a kissing bridge, streaking the hollow, the Witt vs.Wooster basketball game, a CBS walkout, homecoming football, and a beautiful outdoor commencement ceremony.

There are tons of activities going on around campus at all times. There is rarely a night where some club is not giving away free food or doing something ridiculous to raise money for a good cause. Joining clubs is something I strongly encourage as a means to get to know new people here on campus. The Society of Physics Students, which I am president of, is co-sponsoring an ice cream social this week, and as a member of the outdoors club, I have the chance to go skydiving at the end of the month. I am also involved in greek life and I love it, but I wasn't involved with it my first three years on campus and I still enjoyed campus-life immensely so I do not see fraternities or sororities as things that are dependent on you having fun. And lastly, people party hardy here.

There are many organizations on campus to engage any student's interests. If you can't find an organization to satisfy your needs, there is a straight forward process to become a University recognized student organization through the Student Senate. The degree of involvement varies from student to student, from one organization to ten. The social life is limited, but I've seen a lot of improvement in my first three years at Wittenberg. Opportunities to drink are available for those who choose to do so, but these are not the only weekend activities available. The new game room in the student center offers hours of entertainment for students.

With over 80 student organizations, there is always something going on around campus. The newly renovated games room called “Doppelgangers” or campus activity space/pub “Founders” also provides evening opportunities for students. Witt is a college institution and students do consume certain beverages of the weekend at house parties. But, don’t worry if that isn’t your activity of choice. Many students go out and decide not to drink alcohol at parties but rather just hang out with friends. Also, there are plenty of other activities going on during the weekend to keep students entertained and having a good time!

Sports teams are huge on campus. The Women's Volleyball team and Men's Football team are especially good. Intramurals are huge, as everyone competes for the coveted Championship t-shirt. Dorms are one big family, and there is almost a uniform open-door policy. I met all of my closest friends through social activities that the Student Activities office organizes (things like movies, comedians, etc.), classes, and in my dorm. There are always events on campus, from political speakers to authors, movies (last year we showed Avatar and Milk, among others), and Wittenberg's own comedy club Pocket Lint.

I think sports are big thing on campus, along with Greek life. Although there are plenty of other activities if those aren't for you. But to enjoy the campus, you have to get involved somewhere. Students would leave their doors open more if the RA's kept their promises to give them door holders. And the new set up of mixing sophomores and freshman was a terrible idea that didn't work. I was far more connected to all the freshman that lived on my floor than the freshmen that I live with now are to each other. New Dorm being a freshman dorm was a great idea.

Greek life and sports are big at Witt. I am involved in Greek Life and I LOVE it! It was definitely the best college decision I have made, I would highly recommend going Greek to anyone! Athletic events are extremely popular, and performing arts acitivities such as One Acts and Just Eve are popular to attend as well (it makes it especially fun since you are going usually to see your friends perform). Although Witt takes pride in its academics, it is definitely a school where you can get rowdy; every night of the week you can find students willing to drink.

Witt puts a lot of effort into social event for students. There are Witt Wednesdays (alcohol free) where there might be a game show in the cafeteria or a band play in Post 95 (the cafe). Also once a year they bring in a major band or artist to perform for Witt Fest, this year it was hellogoodbye. Greek life on campus is big. Sure there is a drinking scene, where isn't there, but there is a lot of stuff on campus that doesn't involve that. Student groups and activities in Springfield like movies and restaurants.

Social life on Witt's campus is quite diverse. As I like to think of it, if you want to go and get wasted, you can do that... but if you prefer to hang out, you can do that too. No matter what your 'style' is, you can find someone who is right there with ya :) I myself don't drink and I have never had any trouble finding something fun to do on campus! The university is great at providing ways to have fun without the use of alcohol :)