Wittenberg University Top Questions

Mallory

Mallory, don't be afraid to dream big and always go with your gut instinct. Life is sometimes about going big or going home. You will always want to go home. Home is not a physical place, it is the place you belong. When you find home, go big and live to your greatest potential.

Rebecca

Looking back on high school and myself as a senior, I would tell myself to not worry so much. You will realize that college is a big transition, but it is not even close to unbearable. You will be nervous and excited on move in day and leaving your parents might be cool or it might be tough, but the college experience is definitely worth the emotions that come with it. College is a time in which you can discover more about yourself and what you want to become in the future. You will make amazing friends who share similar interests and make memories that will last a lifetime. The transition into having more independence should not scare you because you are not alone. You are entering into this transition with a lot of other people who are in the same place as you, so you just have to relax, have fun, and not worry so much! Being independent (but not totally) allows for you to dip your toes into what the future is like, but you have four years to dip your toes, so make the most of it. Relax! It will be okay!

Jacob

i would tell myself to make sure my grades stay up and to enjoy going to college because it is going to be one of the best times of your life so take it all in.

It’s the fall of my senior year in high school, and I’m standing at the sidelines at half time waiting to march for the last time on this rugged football field. We didn’t have much at our high school, but we sure had pride. Standing under those bright lights for the last time, feeling the anticipation of the crowd awaiting our performance, was a feeling like no other. In that final moment life felt infinite, however I felt the future lurking in the back of my mind. Who was I going to be in the world? I had spent so much of high school participating in marching band, student government, and community service. I didn’t really know what all of this did for me until this moment. Suddenly I understood that what matters in life is that I always have something to be proud of, something in life that pushes me to be a better person and to help make the world a better place. Looking back now, I would tell myself to trust that instinct. The instinct that with faith and good will, we will always find our way in a sea of insecurities.

Heath

If I were to go back in time to when I was in high school I would tell myself to be interested in college early. We are always told during our freshman year that college is too far away to worry about at that moment. I honestly wish I would have went ahead and started looking and had really taken an interest in college at that point. A college decision can be stressful and it doesn't help that we are encouraged to hold off thinking about college until our junior and senior years. I would tell high school students today that they should start looking and thinking about where they want to go and what they might want to do during their freshman year of high school. It could change but gathering information early is an easy way to take stress off of you at a later date when you also have graduation and financial aid to worry about. It also will give you space to make a much more informed decision that might save money and put you on a better path for your education.

Sabrina

If I could go back in time and tell my high school senior self anything it would be to focus less on grades and more on being a well-rounded student. I was one of those students that took difficult classes, but only the ones that I knew I could get good grades in because I was convinced all colleges cared about were my grades. Wittenbeg University has taught me that , while grades are important, being well-rounded is essential. For example, in high school I would never take politic classes because I assumed I could not succeed as well as in other classes. It is part of Wittenberg's motto to be a well-rounded student; therefore, I took a political philosphy class and learned more than I could ever imagine. While I did not get as good of grades in that class as I'd hoped, I've learned that it's not the grade that matters but rather the information that will help my future self. If I'd had this adivce in high school I would have focused on being well-rounded and learned more about myself than I ever could've focusing solely on grades.

People will tell you that college is the most exciting, most liberating, and best experience of your life! Well, they're right. But what they leave out is that the amount of time you should spend on academics is more than the amount of time you spend doing everything else! Yeah, you know you're going to college to get an education, but the effort needed to make the grades is immense. Just remember to plan and stay on top of your work and you'll be fine! When you get to college, remember to have fun. College will be what you make of it. You have the choice to go out, get involved, make memories and lasting relationships! Or you can stay in your dorm and watch movies all weekend and despise college. The choice is yours. As you make the final decsions on which university is right for you, remember to choose the school based on what you want. Ignore other people's opinions because this decision will be your life for the next four years. Don't stress too much in the college decision process, because you're about to enter the best years of your life!

Audra

If I were to give advice to my high school self, I would, without question, begin by telling myself that everything can, and will, work out. The biggest mistake I made throughout my senior year and my college transition was putting too much stress on myself to predict the future. I can see now that this is both irrational and unhelpful. While there have been--and will be--bumps on the road, the only thing I can do is to trust that I have a bright future ahead, whether or not it turns out "as planned". The next thing I would tell myself is that the real key to college is finding early on a balance between academia and activities/social life. Don't burn yourself out on studying, and don't lose your focus halfway through the semester. Take a moment to reflect on where your priorities lie, and then schedule accordingly, while still leaving yourself some open time to clear your head (so that you don't lose it). Lastly, I would tell myself not to be afraid to sit back and take a deep breath; college is a wild ride, but the best one of your life.

Irene

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would say, "If you want to be happy and to be successful in college, then you will be." I would continue on, saying that having a good college experience does not depend on the location, on the price, or on the size; college is what you make of it. I would tell myself to stop being so shy and to get involved in everything that I possibly could. It is a new beginning and a once in a lifetime oppotunity to start out fresh. I would finish with the advice that everything is going to get better. Let go of the past, embrace the present, and work for the future.

Rhiannon

Don't worry about the money. Go to a school where you feel truly at home and don't look at the "pricetag". College is a once in a liftime oppurtunity and you want to go to a place where you feel comfortable and a place where you can thrive and grow as an individual. Knowledge has no pricetag so go to the college where you feel like you will really benefit by having an education from that institution.

Audra

My advice to my high school senior self would first be to consider everywhere when applying to schools. You will never know which places you like, where you can get in, or where you can afford until you give all kinds of places a fighting chance. The second thing I would tell myself would be to try and make connections as soon as I get to college; it is so worth it to feel comfortable and have people you can go to. College is overwhelmingly different from high school and its easy to crawl into your shell in the first semester, but the longer you wait, the harder it will be, and afterwards you will be so glad to have people to connect with. The third thing I would tell myself is to try and figure out how to live a healthy lifestyle of your own accord. Sure, it was easy at home when mom made you eat vegetables with every meal, but it's a little harder when you have a food court with the option of pizza and fries every day. Your health is important; fight that freshman fifteen! But most of all, enjoy this while it lasts.

Michelle

I would definitely tell myself to spend more time with the great friends I had in high school rather than study so much and to remember that high school is temporary. Those mean and hateful people there usually peak in high school and you are bound for bigger and better things than them. Keep your head up and reach for the moon, kid.

Abby

I would advise myself to stop and take a deep breath, relax. The application process is stressful, especially when it comes down to making a final decision. But in the end, you end up where you are meant to be, and life starts to fall into place. I would advise myself to apply to everywhere I was interested, even if I thought I never had a chance, because Wittenberg was one of those places where I never expected to be accepted, and here I am. I would also tell myself that it is going to be tough, no matter where you go. The social life is tough, having a roommate is tough, the academics are even tougher, but most of all the transition is tough. But you will make it. You will make it and you will thrive, so long as you put in the effort. Also, be sure and make some time for yourself every once in awhile.

devonta

I would give myself the advice of knowing how to be more determined in academics. In college i have found things that have motivated me to want to be successful in the classroom. I would have told myself in highschool that it wasnt just going to be a social life, and that it requires a Full-Time type schedule to be a successful student. Biggest piece of advice i would give myself coming out of highschool would to not be so nervous.

Nathaniel

Originally, I attended American University in Washington DC. If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell him not to--Wittenberg University, although not my first choice of college, is my home. I wish I could have spent 4 years here instead of having to spend my last 3 here, because this is where i truly belong.

Kaitlin

I know what you're thinking. You're not just a high schooler, you're a SENIOR. And somehow that word makes you feel entitled, smarter than you really are, and overly confident. Please don't think that way. You have so much to learn, whether it be in your studies or in the real world. If you thought high school classes were demanding, just wait until next fall. Don't worry though, you still have plenty of time. Budget it wisely! The better you are at juggling a busy schedule, the easier it will seem when it really matters. Even though high school is incredibly crucial to your academic development, you're still in the minors. You're lucky though, come next fall you get a clean slate when you enter the major leagues. It is truly a privilege to attend college, so make the most of it. Take pride in yourself for making it this far, but stay motivated to go even farther. Take each day as a gift, fill your brain with all the knowledge you can, and strive for excellence. Be confident in yourself and your abilities and you will be just fine.

Courtney

Courtney, get ready to meet so many new people, learn how to interact with them and don't be nervous! Be confident in yourself. Not only in your ability to achieve highly, but also in your ability to make friends. Don't be afraid to talk to professors, you will look back and laugh at the time you were nervous to ask your advisor what he thought you should minor in! Be excited! Know that you can't plan every detail, and stop trying to! Plan for the unexpected to happen, and just let yourself have fun! You are going to love college; be prepared to change, and to learn so many new things. Don't worry about memorizing every detail; focus on getting the main ideas and learning the parts that interest you. (Everything is interesting by the way). This is college, synonymous with so many things: fun, focus, knowledge, hard work, discipline, and joy. So let it be all those things, and more. You need to relax and enjoy the ride because you are going to love every bit of it. PS, you are very prepared for this, its almost like high school, but more fun!

Susan

If I could go back in time I would advice myself to try my best in high school. I wouldn't slack off and do all my work. The harder you work in high school the easier college is and the less classes you have to worry about taking. It also would've saved me more money to have passed some of the classes i took in high school due to the fact that some classes in college if you got a grade of C or better in high school you don't have to take them in college. This helps save money on classes you don't need to retake. This is what i would've adviced myself if I could go back in time.

I would tell myself that college is the chance for a new beginning. The transition requires that you step outside of your comfort zone. Take advantage of everything college has to offer. The memories of high school are great, but let go of them. College is an experience that you will only have once and you should keep that in the back of your mind. However, do not forget that you are paying for education, not fun. Take charge of your education. Professors are helpful, but only if you approach them. You are now an adult. There is no one responsible for education but yourself. Remember to have the best experience you can. Play hard, study harder.

Ryan

If I could travel back in time and advise myself as a high school senior, I would not. As a high school senior, academics ranked number one on my priority list. An "A-" was not acceptable (in my opinion), and I fought for the title "Sixth-in-class" with Annie, the senior class president. In short, I took school seriously. During my first semester of college, I still ranked my education as number one; however, I found college less challenging than I expected. Eventually, I fell victim to boredom as my schoolwork did not require a lot of time to complete. On my spare time, I took a fancy to partying, and by the end of my freshman year, I received my first "B+" since the fourth grade! After realizing partying interfered with my ability to do well in school, I reevaluated my priorities. I was so caught up in the exclusiveness of the small-town university I attended, that I lost who I was and what I stood for. Therefore, if I could have traveled into the future as a high school senior and advised myself as a college student, I totally would have.

Emma

My high school self was always scared. I was cautious and worried about how welcoming my college environment would be. How could people that I've never even met before be comfortable with my being gay when I could hardly admit it to myself? How woud I ever tell my roommate that I had a girlfriend without her being uncomfortable? Would I be ostracized because I went to a religiously affiliated school? If I could go back in time I would find that frightened girl and would tell her that she'll be safe; she won't have to hide who she is in the future. There won't be any hurtful words said or cruel jokes stabbed at her. In college, she'll finally be free of the secrecy that surrounds her every day. I would hold that girl, pull her close, wipe a tear from her worried eyes, and say "You will be loved."

Sara

I would tell myself first and foremost, that the fact that I am really great at managing my time wisely will come in handy at Wittenberg. I would tell myself to not be afraid to ask questions and explore, because you may not be talking about it in class, but that does not mean it will not come in handy in the future. Don't be afraid to talk to people, and I mean everyone. Everyone wants someone to talk to. Don't be afraid to talk to that girl on move in day that looks like she could use a friend. Don't be afraid to talk to your professors outside of class. Don't be afraid to cancel plans because you have a lot of homework to do. It may stink to do homework on a Friday night, but it will definitely reward you later. Lastly, don't be afraid to try something new. It may end up being "your calling."

AJ

Being a new student orientation assistant this year, I gained a lot of insight into my own college experience by hearing the stories of the incoming freshman class. A frequent question was how to be successful at Wittenberg. I did not have an immediate answer the first time I was asked that question. After digesting my thoughts for awhile, I came up with a very simple answer: be yourself. When I was going through the college search process, Wittenberg did not just tell me what it could do for me. Everyone at Wittenberg cared about what I could do for the school. I am sure that most college campuses place the same value on student participation and initiative. College is about finding your calling and the only way to do that is by being yourself from the moment you step on campus. That is what has made me so successful here at Wittenberg. In life, we do not always appreciate something unless it is taken away or we imagine it being gone. I appreciate being at Wittenberg every day because I am constantly humbled by the school and my classmates who have taught me to be myself since day one.

I would tell myself to do the work in high school in a timely manner and to not put everything off until the last minute. I would tell myself to actually do the reading that was assigned when it was assigned. I need to also save my money now and not blow it on pointless things. The money I save now will help me later in life.

victor

The advice I would give myself is not listen to sh!tty brochures like I did because half of those stupid things are entirely true. The things not mentioned in brochures are the crappy food, the transportation to stores for neccessities and the fact that there are crows on campus that splat on the school.

Kiley

College is a completely different experiene than high school. In college students are more independent and this requires more responsibilty. The courses are tougher, but they are preparing you for the real world. College is a great way to meet people and getting involved in different activities gives you a better chance to create friendships that will last for the rest of your life. I've just started my college career and I have already found friends that I am closer to than my friends from home, and I know our relationships will stay the same for years to come.

Brandy

I have gotten an education, which is a priceless thing to have. Studying political science has expanded my world view and the way I look at everything in society. It has made me more in tune with society.

I have learned so much about political science including those that are related to foreign policy and philosophy. It has been valuable because I have made many friends who are like minded like I am. I was a poor student in high school who's GPA was a 2.8 and a poor student in my previous college (my GPA was below a 2.0 at that time). However in my first semester I received a 3.5 GPA and was put on the Dean's List. In one of my classes (Modern Political Philosophy) my professor gave me a an A- in that course and when that course started I thought I would be happy if I received a C. In that class I read so many interesting books including those written by Marx, John Locke, J.S. Mill and Rousseau. I was also able to intern in Washington D.C. and work for the Heritage Foundation. Interning there gave me the opportunity to see famous people such as Jim DeMint and Art Laffer.

Joshua

I have gotten the ability to plan ahead for important events, as well as always being prepared. If there isn't any prepertion, then not only are you able to have fun with no worries that will hit you in the head in the meer future, but but also, if you are prepared, then you are a couple of steps ahead of everyone else, allowing yourself to open your mind to learn more.

Raelyn

College has been very valuable for me. I recently became a single parent of a baby girl. Furthering my education and earning a degree, will help me support my child. Keeping up with college classes and taking care of a child is hardwork. But paying for both is even harder. I'm afraid without scholarships, I'll be forced to take out loans. Getting into debt is one of my biggest fears. I want to be the best mother I can be. In order to do that, I need to continue going to college.

DORANDO

As a minority student and an immigrant from Jamaica I was raised around pure ambition and taught at a early age to set a goal then, without any compromise, attain it. Nothing more exemplifies this aphorism than my Mother?s move from Jamaica to the United States. She left her comfortable white collar job in an insurance company for the sole purpose of improving my brothers and I lives through educations an other opportunities. College taught a lot of life lessons I intend to pass on. A few that come to mind are the importance of helping others as I grow. There has been time when the stress between work, school, and family left me feeling overwhelming. But having a few friends that were supportive kept me on track. The extra motivation can be priceless. Being in that position I can relate to others struggling at different point in their life and always try to lend a helping hand or something as simple as a motivational conversation. It is also a constant reminder of how good time management skills are a necessity in life. Without it, the work load would pile up until it became overwhelming and unhealthy.

Before I came to Wittenberg University, I had no sense of what of family was. There was trouble at home, and I was begging for an escape. Finally, on August 20, 2009, I arrived on campus as a freshman. Over this year, I have gained friends, sorority sisters, responsibility, and learned things that I never knew. Making the transition educational wise was a struggle for me because the high school that I attended had not prepared me for a private liberal art school education. I struggled through almost all of my classes and found it difficult to read the music in band. However, since then, I have grown to understand French, strengthened my writing, studied religion, and improved my ability to read music. Wittenberg has taught me to step outside of my shell and join clubs such as Swing Dance Club, Concerned Black Students, Union Board, Residence Hall Association, Kappa Delta Sorority, and even more activities than that. I have been granted many opportunities such as being a Resident Advisor for my sophomore year. When I?m at Wittenberg, I feel like I am at home and I know that I am never alone.

Claire

It has definitely made me step out of my comfort zone. In high school all I did was run track and field and participate in a few clubs. At college, its made me want to try all the new things that it offers and it has taught me how to balance school, work, clubs, and a social life. Before college I thought I would just focus on school and maybe a job...and NEVER join a sorority. Now, I'm in a sorority, have a job, am in Cave Club and Habitat for Humanity, and I'm still able to do great in school. I've taken classes I never thought I'd take and I've enjoyed them. Goin to college has really opened my eyes up to all the great things life has to offer and it has opened my eyes up to how much potential i have.

Hannah

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life, I would advise myself to resist senoritis. Getting into the habit in the last year of high school of not studying and slacking off is one of the worst things for someone going to a competitive university. In order to do well at Wittenberg in particular, students need to study much more than in high school. Senior year is when you need to really cement good study habits. Another thing I would advise myself is to not be overwhelmed with the amount of food available. If the freshman 15 or more is gained, you will want to lose the weight, and spend time in the gym that could be spent studying. Third, don't stay up till all hours of the night. Set a good and repetitive sleep schedule. That will help you to be more awake in class, and while doing homework. It also increases your metabolism and helps you stay positive. Its hard to be positive when you are only running on five hours of sleep. That said, Good Luck in college!

Ivy

Do not go to a school you know you'll hate just because you got accepted. Get ready for a lot of homework and studying.

Maria

Z, don't listen to the people who tell you that you can't make it at college as you are now. You don't have to completely change to impress anyone at Wittenberg. You don't have to drink, go to parties all the time, join a sorority, or secret society. You'll love the college classes and workload that you'll get. Ask the professors for help or for more work if you need an extra challenge! Be brave, but realize that asking for help from advisors, upperclassman, and professors is not a sign of weakness. Besides, you want to get every cent out of college, right? Try out for all those quarky things you couldn't do in high school: swing dance, astronomy, D&D, or international club. Go for walks around campus to see what the town and the school has to offer; you'll find a lot of secret treasures that way. Remember to keep in touch with the family at least once a week. And, for heaven's sake, keep a planner!! It will help you stay on top of your school and social life. Learn a lot, but have fun!

The advice that I would give myself would be to keep an open mind and get as involved as possible. It's okay to keep to one group of friends, but when you branch out and get to know a lot more people, that is when you are having the most fun. It is always possible to drop some activities if you get too stressed out, but at least try to do as much as possible. Plus it keeps you busy so you won't be so homesick! Also, don't go home for the first couple months because it is always hard to go back to school and make new relationships at school if you are at home all of the time. If you truly get homesick, see if it is possible for your parents to come and visit you at school for a couple days, it makes the transition a lot easier. As long as you keep busy, you will make a lot of great new friends and have the best time of your life living it up at college.

Reva

Make sure you chose a school based on interest. Do not worry about the money. It is more important to get into a career that interests you and by doing that debt can be paid off.

George

When trying to find the right school, i would first say to keep all options open and have many back up plans in case your first choice does not accept you. Next when you visit each school, see how the people are at each school by telling whether there nice and get a sense of what the atmosphere is becasue depending on how big the school is will tell u a lot about whether its for you. Finally, fill out and complete all of the scholarship oppurtunities for each school to get the maximum amount of financial aid toward the school you plan on attending.

When you visit a college, take a look at the current student body. Choose a place where the people you see look like potential friends. You should feel at home when you step on campus, and see your own potential in the academic programs and available experiences. Look for a place where you can envision a grown version of yourself, and like what you see. Inevitably, the college you choose will influence your future. Make sure it is a place where you feel confident being yourself, and are encouraged to develop your individual talents. Ideally, a person will begin college, try new things, meet new people, and somewhere along the way stumble across the person they had hoped to become. The best way to give yourself opportunities for grow is by remaining open to new experiences, and creating connections to your goals. Don't be afraid to step off of the beaten academic path to explore a different perspective, and open your own eyes a little wider. It is amazing how much of your college education takes place outside of the classroom, and the extent to which a single encounter can change your whole outlook in life.

Adam

Start looking for the right college early, the process is very tedious especially when someone has no clue what they are looking for in a college and want to visit multiple ones before deciding on the right choice. Just like everyone else says time management is very important and it is, if you don't stay on top of classes right from the beginning it is hard to catch up midway through the semester. Also make sure you have fun because college is a one time thing and if you let it pass you by you are going to regret it forever.

Sergei

make sure they are fine with staying away from home and can make friends easiely

Many things must be considered when attempting to locate the best college for you. One of the first steps is deciding the size of the school that you wish to attend, because it will be much easier to make your decision if you know what you want going into it. From personal experience I would recommend determining the distance you are willing to travel from home as another vital step to be taken early on in the college search process. Some people are okay with traveling whatever distance necessary to find a great school, while others need the option of visiting home on a regular basis, so it is important to figure out which kind of person you are. A final main point to consider is your financial sitiuation as compared to the amount of fiancial aid the school offers. But even after making all of these preliminary decisions, the most important thing is to keep an open mind and to pick the school that you love. The worst thing is to end up at a school where you will not be happy, so follow your heart. You will know what school is best for you when you find it.

John

I think that it is very important for the student to stay overnight and learn what it is really like. I know ass soon as i stepped my schools campus and started interacting with the students (without my parents right next to me) I felt at home and found the school to fit my personality. I would also suggest looking at big and small schools and see determine hich one you like better after visiting. For parents I would want to ask them to encourage the student who is applying and be with them, but give them space when they are deciding what school and major. If you, the parents, are making all the decisions then the student probably will not have a full heart into what they are doing and therefore not preform to the precieved expectations. It will also discourage the student and might lead to more deviant behaviors such as excesive alcohol or drug use (Rebelling against their parents ideas).

The best advice I can give in finding the right college is to not stress out too much about it. Don't put too much pressure on yourself; it's not worth it. Know your preferences - number of students, distance from home, size of campus - and visit campuses that fit that description. You'll know when one feels "right" to you. There's a very good chance you'll be happy wherever you end up, and you will make those years the best four years of your life. As for making the most of the college experience, the key is finding the right balance. You obviously don't want to shirk your academic responsibilities in favor of partying with your newfound college friends, but all work and no play is not a good idea either. School should come first (that's why you're there in the first place), but be sure to find time for relaxing with friends, too.

Amy

I believe an important part of the college decision process is to take several campus visits to schools you are interested in. Perhaps meet a professor who's major you are interested in and spend the night with a student so you can get a sense of the social life. Never visit a school when classes are not being held because you do not get to witness the interaction between the students. Look at each schools extracurricular activities that they offer. The most important advice to making the most of your college experience is to get involved with campus life. Find clubs or activities that may interest you and give them a chance. You will meet new people this way and gain many memories in the process.

Kaitlin

Finding the right college can be both exciting and extremely difficult. My advice for parents and students making decisions about what college to attend would be to start this decision process early, keep an open mind, make a list of colleges that you think would be a good fit, and visit the college campuses that you are interested in attending. You should take into consideration the missions and values of each prospective school along with what academic programs (majors/minors) they offer. Ask yourself the question: "Could I really see myself here for four years?" Parents and students also need to take into consideration the cost of tuition and scholarships available at your prospective universities. No matter what school you finally decided to attend just remember that college life is what you make it; so take your time, don't stress, and make sure you are happy with your final decision.

kaitlin

In choosing a college, you need to look for the school that has your major academic interests, and find the learning environment that meets your learning style and needs. You should look for the campus that feels like home. It will be important to connect to the community availabe to you to feell safe and happy in your new home. Walk the campus and talk to other students about what they like or dislike on their campus. Try to choose the geographical location based on how close you want to be to your family, and consider the cost of traveling home. Consider weather as an option to relocating to a different climate, such as a warmer city. if you are considering playing a sport, spend time with the team and see if you fit in . It will be more important to love your teammates, as you will be spending many hours with them., working hard towards common goals. Most of all, enjoy the process!

Jasmine

In order to really know what a school is like, you need to ask everyday students questions rather than only staff members and students who are paid to be very enthusiastic about the school. An everyday student will be able to give you an unbiased view of what the school is really like. Don't forget to ask students about the social life on campus! You should also visit a few classes to see what it would really be like to attend the school. See if you like the size of the class, the professors, the way classes are run, etc. One of the main reasons I chose Wittenberg was because I loved the classes I visited before I got here. There were usually about 10 to 15 students in a class and they were always seminar style where the students got to talk just as much as the professor. Eat a meal on campus and visit the dorm that you would be living in so that you can really get the feel of what living on campus would be like.

Brittani

I would say that college is going to be the greatest teacher you will ever have up until now. It doesn't matter if you think you're open-minded, you're completely set in your ways, you feel like you're already independent, or your mom's done everything for you since you were an infant, you will learn so much about who you are, or have the potential to be, and it will astound you! Your values may stay the same or stretch to accomodate all the new information you're getting, so don't be afraid. Don't count out any one school or place because you think it won't be right. Explore all the possibilites , and try things you wouldn't usually. Your parents idea(l)s are not yours. Use that wonderful brain of yours, and let them find comfort in the fact tha they raised you, so no matter what that means, good or bad, you can make it on your own. Remember that college is not just about grades, and you won't be excellent at everything. That's ok! Enjoy the overall experience because it's over before you know it!