Worcester, MA
Worcester Polytechnic Institute

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Worcester Polytechnic Institute

Worcester Polytechnic Institute is a university filled with bright and accepting students who undergo a vigorous courseload of math, science, and engineering while also allowing for project based learning.

I would tell myself that I know what I am doing and just trust my judgement. I was nervous that I made the wrong decision when I chose between my top two schools, but now I can see that this was the correct choice for me. Every one was so supportive and accepting. All of the staff and students truly want to see me succeed. It is a very vigorous course load and goes by so fast. I would tell myself how I can handle that and everything life throws at me. I would say just to enjoy yourself. College is already going by so fast, so just telling myself to stay and treasure each moment would be helpful. I would say just be yourself and that it is really easy to be yourself at WPI because every one has so much in common. My last piece of advice for myself is to try new things and meet people. I would just build up my confidence even more to make the most out of college. Already, I am making the most out of my experiences and loving every second.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the WiFi. You would think for a technology-based school with so many students adept at computer science and programming, the WiFi would be better. It is slow and spotty in most places on campus, but ethernet works great and they give you free ethernet cables on the first day of Freshman Orientation. However, this does not change the fact that WPI WiFi sucks.

Angela

Learn how to pick yourself up after you fall. You might not always do well on the first test, but as long a you can learn from it and do better you can say you've gained something.

People who know what they want to do after college should come here. There is a large variety of personalities and interests on campus..

People who are unsure about going into a STEM feild should not go to wpi. It is very hard to have a liberal arts degree from this college.

Jonathan

I knew when I started applying to colleges, Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) was my top choice and, sadly, I was waitlisted. I resolved that I was going to the local state college UVM; unfortunately they didnt have the major I wanted, Robotics. When I was accepted by WPI from their waitlist, I was ecstatic; however, it came with a $120000 price tag. After much indecision I finally decided on WPI when reminded of what Id said in my baccalaureate speech, “Only you are standing in the way of your own success.”So now Im here, two years later. Picking a college was biggest choice that Ive ever had to make and I made the right decision. I followed my passion. I pursued what I loved and didnt let anything stand in my way. My suggestion is, if you truly want something; dont let financial fear stand in your way. Lifes too short to spend it doing something you dont love. You will be successful and everything will work out in the end. I havent found many people who truly love the college they are at; I do though. Every day I say, “Im living the dream.” Its true, I am!

WPI is one of the few schools in the country with a Robotics Major. I decided to attend specifically for that reason. They continue to refine the different courses in the major to make them more applicable to what you need to know for future employment. The school provides an enviroment where you truly feel like you are part of a community. I found a place that I can call home.

Anyone who considers themselves in any way a nerd or geek this is the school for you! If you love working in groups on projects, if you love learning about something you love with people who have the same interest. You can always be yourself and find people who are just like you. As the president said in his welcoming speech, "Welcome home nerds!"

Courtney

I would tell myself not to rush through highschool. I was so eager to get out that I graduated a year early taking only the bare minimum. I was convinced college would be easier, not realizing I would still have to take math, english and all those other classes I thought I did not need in highschool. I would tell myself to talk to a counseler and set myself up to go to a 4 year university even if I wasnt sure thats what I wanted at the time. Now that I am going to a community college to get my RN degree I am taking all those classes I skipped, when I thought I was going to be a hair dresser.

To go back and talk to my senior self would be a dream, but I’m not sure if I would listen. At 17, I was stubborn and bullheaded. I had got caught up in making money at a job I had that I didn’t think school was for me. I would tell myself that 7 years from now at the same job school is going to be to only escape. I would also inform myself that taking the time off from school was a good choice because now I’m to the point where I want to be at school and I’m not forced to be.

Narimane
Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

WPI is a technical school that has a lot of engineering majors. An increasing number of student joining the Business department s growing. Also, WPI has a system of 7 weeks term so its face paced and that allows students to double major, finish with a masters in 4 years, or even finish in 3 years and save $$.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

WPI was one of my top choices. I loved everything about ever since I thought about going to college. Also, WPI is one of the few schools with Aerospace Engineering around my area plus its engineering program its highly rated.

WPI’s most popular activity is being part of Fraternities & Sororities. It is pretty common to find girls especially be part of a fraternity. There students who are part of band and other activities. I guess there is some of everything and students pick any activity they want. The cool thing at WPI is that students can start their own organization and club by only having a certain number of members and a professor to be their advisor. This year a new club, collab lab, was started by a freshman. Its robotics oriented and involves lab work.

Academics at WPI depend from class to class. Freshman classes like chemistry and physics are in big lecture halls so the professors don’t even know your name; however, math, humanities, and social sciences are a good size where the professor will get to know most of the people. Also, when take courses within your major professor have a good idea about all of their students even if it’s a big class. My favorite courses at WPI are math, humanities, social sciences and engineering science. So far all of those courses I took in those departments were great. Professors explain well, hold conversations, available to help whenever needed, and nice professors. However, when talking about the science department, physics and chemistry, their system is pretty low and the overall grade is based on the four exams you take. This works with students who already had a good science background in high school but for those who don’t they might have to spend a LOT of time studying. Student at WPI work hard I would say there is only a small percentage of students who don’t care, and other who do care but are not hard workers. It’s pretty common to walk around WPI and hear students all around you talking about their exams and homework. It is typical to have more than one exam a week. WPI’s overall academic requirements are pretty good and manageable and the education you get from here is geared toward both getting a good job and learning.

The main stereotype about the student body at WPI is studying and working hard. There are some who party, but since we have a term system of 7 weeks, everyone needs to be studying everyday.

d

If you really want to be a good engineer, then you'll love it. You'll have access to million dollar equipment even in freshman year. Labs are 24/7 accessible. Also the academic system is made in a way that you help each other more than you try to win against each other. I wish TA's knew better English. School size is perfect for undergraduate. You are not lost between many people, or you are not bored because there are less people. Most of the time adults ask me if I was going to WPI, and generally they start smiling. Many of them ask a funny but motivating question about me attenting WPI. In short, what people think is mostly very positive. As a double majoring student, I spend many times at the labs, but I always try to balance it with social activities on campus. WPI is definitely not a city school. It is very isolated and it has a very nice and quite campus. However there are many universities closeby that you can go by taking the free shuttle, and Boston is always an hour away from campus. Administration is I think is doing a very good job. They have been expanding the school alot recently. Lots of new career options, new labs, new buildings, better professors, everything for better and innovative future. I am not familiar with any significant controversies on campus. Most people love their school, love the "gompei", love being a tech, love not being a MIT student. However, don't expect crazy amounts of school spirit going on. The secret society, "skull". Male students complaint about the ratio and quality of female students. However people say that its improving every year.

Ting

I have never attended such activities and groups. Sorry about that!

I have never attended such activities and groups. Sorry about that!

Some professors know my name since this is a relatively small school. Amount of student is not so large. My favorite class is mechanical vibration. My least favorite is design for manufacturability. As I know, we Chinese students study a lot. We can see lots of american students study in the library. Therefore I think they are also very hard-working. Yes, they do have intellectual conversations outside of classes. They are competitive because everyone want to get the first prize of their projects or classes. Dynamic signal. This class is very interesting because it requires lots of experiments and reports. My major is mechanical engineering and it belongs to mechanical engineering department. Yes, since we always meet lots of problems and have to discuss with professors. The academic requirements of the school is very strict. The education at this school is geared toward making you a good engineer who will contribute to the society.

Stefan

WPI offers an amazing education through the use of laboratory and group exercises. I have to say that working in such a hands-on environment really cements the concepts that are taught in lecture. Furthermore, by working in a group, I felt that it is a great asset to have in the "real world" job market. Currently, WPI is expanding at a fast rate. In my opinion, I feel as though it will loose some of the charm that initially attracted me to it. The smaller class sizes made for a much more interactive experience with the professors. However, once a student moves up the higher classes, the class size does tend to stay small, which is quite good. The Interdisciplinary Project is a requirement for all students, and typically involves going abroad and working in a field outside of your major. My project took me to Puerto Rico, where I worked closely to one of the most rare places on Earth, a bioluminescent bay. This is an experience that is not offered in many other schools and is quite fantastic. Worcester, is a fairly small city for me since I'm from New York city, but there are 8 other colleges in Worcester. I wouldn't consider Worcester to be a "college town" but there is a nice feel that you are never too far away from another school, and are typically kindly accepted into their circles. Bottom line, WPI is a great school, and though the growth may be off-putting at first, new professors are being hired, and the close-knit relationships to them will be maintained. I am very pleased with the school as an overall.

WPI has a unique academic system. Instead of having the typical 2 semesters, it has 4 terms. Each term is 7 weeks long and a student takes 3 courses, or overloads and takes 4. With this type of system, an exam occurs every few weeks for each class, so it keeps you on your toes. The professors are very good with contact outside of their regularly scheduled office hours. They make every effort to help a student learn the subject matter. A great professor that I have encountered is Prof. Emmanuel who does not let you leave his office until he is convinced you understand the concept. It is this type of support that can be felt throughout most of the professors around campus, they all want to see the students learn and succeed. Class participation is highly encouraged by all the professors. My Major is Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE). It is considered to be one of the toughest majors at WPI. The main building for ECE is Atwater Kent (AK). AK has a lounge/lobby when you first walk in that has students gathered all the time working on HW, talking, or just relieving stress after an exam. It is a great place to meet new people in your major field that can help when you might be stuck on the homework.

WPI, being an engineering school is prone to the stereotype that everybody is either a geek or a nerd. I have found that in my time here, people can be considered geeks, but all that really means to me is hard working. Everybody at WPI puts their best foot forward and works very hard, including the athletes.The stereotype is accurate, but you'll find that the geeks here tend to be social and willing to help.

Worcester Polytechnic Institute administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.