Worcester, MA
Worcester Polytechnic Institute

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Worcester Polytechnic Institute

WPI contains a large variety of different student backgrounds - students of all financial types, ethnicities, religions, and orientations. Because of this, WPI's atmosphere is quite accepting of new and/or different persons, and celebrates their diversity. Although a large percentage of students are from Massachusetts due to proximity, the range of countries represented in the student body include, but are not limited to: China, India, France, Ecuador, Venezuela, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Congo, Nigeria, Bolivia, Bangladesh, and Saudi Arabia; as well as exchange student programs and study abroad programs to and from Germany, Canada, United Kingdom, Italy, South Africa, Morocco, Japan, Russia, Puerto Rico, and major U.S. cities. In addition to international relations, WPI has a very active LGBT organization on campus, the WPI Gay-Straight Alliance; an active Religious Center with a variety of organizations and religions outlying the community, including a Christian Bible Fellowship, Muslim Students' Association and Hillel, the Jewish Student organization; and several active political groups on campus, including the WPI Republicans, WPI Democrats and WPI Libertarians. In short, WPI loves diversity!

Although the academic work is generally rigorous and fast-paced, many students find they prefer the work environment of WPI to other schools. Student study rates tend to be higher than typical colleges, partly due to its being a technical school, and partly due to the competitiveness of the students. Some positives about this, however, is that the professors realize this, and are incredibly helpful and approachable when it comes to student inquiries - and so are your fellow students, who can often help you as well.

As a technical school, the general stereotype is that many of our students tend to be, 'engineers', 'geeks', or 'nerds'. This stereotype can be more or less accurate, depending on the person; however, oftentimes this stereotype is used to our advantage, as many companies and institutions are looking for new hires who are exactly that!

While WPI is not perfect, it is pretty darn close in my opinion. I love the small school atmosphere, where the professors know your name, even in the big lecture hall on campus. WPI runs on the quarter system, which is different than most colleges. We have four seven-week quarters and during each you take three classes. While each quarter is intense, it also has some high points. For example, if you do not like a certain class or professor, it is over in the blink of an eye. Another unique aspect of WPI is the projects a student must complete to graduate. In their junior year, each student must complete their Interactive Qualifying Project (IQP). This project is an interdisciplinary project where students examine problems where science and technology meet societal issues. Students must also complete their Major Qualifying Project (MQP) in their senior year. The MQP is a project in your major field. These projects are a great opportunity for students to gain experience solving real world problems. Project centers are located all over the world and many students have the opportunity to complete one of there projects abroad! One of the best things about WPI is that it is a tight-knit community with a huge amount of school pride. Everywhere you go there are people there willing to help. Every professor, student and staff member is extremely supportive and friendly. WPI provides students with an excellent education and experiences.

Starting ansAcademics at WPI are fast paced and rigorous but there are plenty of resources to ensure success. Professors have office hours every week and are willing to schedule a time to meet if you cannot make it to office hours. Professors are also willing to meet and talk with students about future plans and offer advice about courses and any other academic concerns you may have. The Academic Resource Center is also available to assist students with their academics. Students can sign up for one-on-one or small group sessions with a tutor. MASH (Math and Science Help) offers weekly help sessions for general math and science courses. One of the best academic resources is other students. Instead of a sense of competition between students, there is a sense of camaraderie. Students are always willing to help other students with academics. Intellectual conversations between students are common outside of the classroom setting. The amount of type that students spend studying and working on homework, largely depends on the student, but a good rule of thumb is approximately two hours per class per night. wering!

When you hear the words Polytechnic Institute in the name of a college, you immediately think one thing: nerds. You would think that all we do is our homework and play video games. While this is true of some students, WPI includes students of all kinds. There are your typical tech school nerds, right alongside jocks and everything in between, although even the jocks have a slight nerdy flair. No matter what kind of person you are, it’s easy to find your niche on campus. In reality, a typical WPI student is usually overinvolved in campus activities, there are so many clubs to get involved in that we can’t pick just one or two! Our campus activities and school work keep us busy and make us work hard, but we also know how to have fun and there is always something fun going on.

Jamillah

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would stress how important it is to take college seriously if given the chance to attend. There are those who may not have a chance to attend, so for that, it is very imortant to take complete advantage of the opportunity. I would also state that in order to cross the threshold from a high school student to a college student one must posses a completely different attitude to accomlish what is needed of you. I would give the advice that it is crucial to have great time management skills and to always save time for your personal life. If not one could become stresses out about the pressures of college life. One must also be able to differentiate when it is a good time to have fun and when it is time to get serious and study. Having specific study times throughout the week is vital for one just entering into college. Lastly, I would tell myself not to take the college opportunity for granted.

Shea

My classmates - the entire student body in fact - are friendly and easy to get along with, and you can always find at least one or two classmates who share your interests.

Had I the opportunity to talk to my past self, I would give three pieces of advice. First, I should have listened to my parents and began sincerely applying for scholarships as soon as I finished college applications. My remaining time in high school and in the summer would have been less stressful had I done that much to help my parents. In addition, I would have reminded myself to continue applying when the college term began, considering all the down time between and after schoolwork. Second, I should have brought quarters for the laundry because the electronic card reader was and is still broken in the dorm’s laundry room. Third and most important, I would advise myself to start exploring the area outside and around campus early on. Had I taken the time to research the transportation options available, I might have spent less free time stuck on campus and more time hanging out with friends, finding new restaurants to eat at, and taking full advantage of what the surrounding city has to offer. Fortunately, I don’t need time travel to make sure I do these things. I am still a freshman; I have plenty of time.

I consider WPI’s term-based system to be best compared to those of other schools. WPI’s academic calendar goes be terms, or quarters, rather than semesters. As a result, my school tends to have more breaks and vacation periods. Not only can I return home to see my family more often, but I can also use the breaks to swap out clothing according to the changes of the seasons. And though not everyone agrees, I find focusing on at least three classes per term easier than working on five or so over each semester.

Fernando
Describe the dorms.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms are comfy depending where you stay, if you stay in the freshman dorms then you will see less space but if you are in the upper class men dorms then you will have a living room in your dorm. The benefit of having a dorm is you have a secure source of cable, heat, electricity, internet, and it is closer to campus than living off campus.

The athletes are the most popular group but everyone gets along fine. I am involved with the athlete group, because i play sports. Some student do leave their doors open and some don't, it all depends on comfort level. Events are popular depending on whats going on that night, if students don't have anything better to do then they go to the events. In college a lot people don't really date, brings a lot of unnecessary drama. Every year there is a spring concert, but depending on the artist the event is usually filled with students. People party up to 3 days a week, depending on the students priorities. At my school we have a lot of them so i would say they are very important. Last weekend i went on a job interview, i am more focused on my future and i party if i have spare time. Saturday i usually hang with my friends. I rarely go off campus, i live staying on campus

They are all type of students at my school, some really rich and some less fortunate. I blend in with many different types of social groups because i am an athlete and because i am different from many people they always want to get to know me. You have your jocks, your tech nerds, your minorities, and your rich kids but they all get along. when it come down to it all we all need each other to get by at this school.

The best thing about my school is that everyone is so excepting of each other that it is very hard to be an outcast their. I wouldn't change a thing about my school, i like it the way it is. My school is just right, i like that it's not too spread out because you wouldn't be able to meet everyone. When i tell people i go to WPI, they assume i am a nerd or rich which i'm not. I spend a lot of time either in the gym or in the library, doing work or working out. I feel the administration is very helpful, coming from a public school system private school can be very overwhelming. They help me get my things organized, which i appreciate. There isn't many controversy that i am involved in because i am either in the gym or library. My school is very traditional, so school pride is huge their. This is my first time going to a private school, so everything is unusual to me. The experience i will always remember is living with my friends from home at school. You get to know your friends a lot better after living with them. The most frequent student complaints is that supplies at school are very pricey.

People outside of the WPI community assumes that every student at my school is a rich nerd, and this is not accurate at all. There are all types of students there, with very different characteristics and qualities.

Tammy

The best thing of WPI is the project experience we gain at the same time as taking classes. WPI's motto is theory and practice and for almost all the classes (major or non-major), WPI pushes students into team work and projects. It will be a good school for people who don't have any project or teamwork experience in high school (like me==!). Teamwork is very much valued in work and I feel the project experience from WPI has benefited me a lot for my internship and work later. One thing I'd like to change is to strengthen the humanity and arts teaching in WPI. Known as an engineering school, many literature classes (not English but eg rhetoric) are required from school to use materials with technology. For students who want to be an engineering as well as someone who loves literature and art, WPI will let people down somehow on the latter. To reword myself a little bit, it does offer many HUA, literature, art classes as well as Chinese, Spanish, German (not French), it's just not strong in those areas. WPI is small. It takes people 30-40 min to walk around the whole campus. School is building a new gym right now and will be put in use in 2012 which is brilliant. We have an old gym and a Harrington auditorium that could be used for sports. Expectation: people (especially in New England) will say: Oh, yeah, I know WPI. That's a good engineering school. Pretty intense right? (=> WPI has a lot of work and not like some school that can graduate easily) I spent most of the time in library, Campus center and gym. No idea of college town. School admin's good. Hard to say. They are spending money to build more dorms and hardcore facility on campus now which is good. Many places have been renovated this year and past year which led many alums couldn't recognize their old campus. The school also invested a lot into Bio research center. They built 1-2 buildings for research recently. Hope school of business can get more buildings too!! haha Controversy: WPI is not a school that has a lot of politics or extreme activities going on. People use their free time with friends and sports. I never see a really extreme/ dangerous event (we have activities for straight people, gay or les but it's not weird and uncomfortable) going on in campus since i came here. Not much school pride. Students will say I like WPI so much but now I'd proud of WPI and its spirit. I feel WPI hasn't been that much influenced people mentally. Students complain about DEKA's food. Haha. We hope we can get better food.

It's really hard to say. There is not a really dominant popular club in WPI. SGA(Student Government Association) is big, powerful and popular. There are similar organization like residential representative that cares for on campus living. There are philanthropic activities organized by sports teams, fra & soros and others. There are activities organized by specific studies, eg aerospace will organize group projects to students who are interested like making rockets. I have a friend who voluntarily offer to teach python to students who are willing to learn. There are a lot activities going on, like fencing, chess, games etc.

Many different students (from different places, religion race etc) are in WPI. Students wear school hoodies or casuals to class. Not a place for starts to come. Project schedule strengthens communication between different students. Four table ( sports team, sorority, friends?? dorms- people who live on same floor). You will also see Asian students together but it's a phenomenon existing almost everywhere. Most students are from New England. WPI gives many financial support to students (including international students) so students are hardworking and many Americans are doing work study at the same time/

Professors will usually know people's name when the class is small (10-20). For big classes, some professors will remember every student registered for his class. Most professors will remember the name if students go to talk to him after class or act actively in class. I like one class I am taking right now. Computer networks. Very very challenging and prof is pushing so hard but giving so much to students as well. He requires lots of reading before each class so we will be familiar with materials he teach ( he elevate the class with many real world cases). We have quiz bowl every class to test our reading which is a random list of computer algorithm that will show people's name with questions so that student is expected to answer. We also have project works which is hard coding of real server, routers etc. Students study every day. I am a junior and each class expects 9-12 or 13-21 hours/ week and I am taking 3 classes. 3 classes/ term is normal, 4 classes/ term is overloading. 4 + is fine (up to you). *WPI is operating on quarter not semester. Class participation is common. Professors are nice to answer questions you have (both in big and small classes). The students have a lot of conversations outside class because of project and teamwork are so common for almost every class. Students are competitive, not everyone of them but most are. My major is Management Information System (school of business) and minor in computer science (CS department). My major serves as the bridge of communication between business people and technical people in a company, eg a business analyst in a IT department is a typical job for MIS people. But MIS people can do whatever they want and it's very flexible depending on your interest. Good major for people who like CS and business at the same time. I spend time with prof outside of class. Prof has many office hours and easy to get appointments. The academic requirements are demanding for some major (ECE, robotic eng etc). For school of business, we have a foundation course that requires all business students to take. Other than that, each major has additional requirements. WPI is unique for its IQP (interactive qualifying project, junior year) and MQP (major qualifying project) which is required for all WPI students. Both credit can take one term to three terms to finish and can be done by individual or teams ( individual is rarely). WPI offers abroad opportunities for both but MQP is limited because you can only consider the place based on your major. These two experiences are the things valued a lot when WPI students go out to find jobs. They have first-hand experience in the industry to talk about before they graduate. WPI is willing to get students ready for jobs after they graduate. But I feel it's the student's responsbility to differentiate about real learning or just enough for jobs. For every class we take, it's up to us of how we can get out of it rather than totally decided by prof.

I'd say GEEKS are the common stereotypes of students here because Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) is known as an engineering school. We do have a lot of sports competitions going on and many frat house around campus. Among the 4 listed characteristic, I'd say geeks> jocks> frat kids + stoners It was more accurate when I came here as a freshman and I see guys are really crazy about computer games etc. But WPI has been recruiting more and more girls these years and the ratio from men- women is like 6-4 now. I take computer science classes and work as the school's IT helpdesk. I guess that's the reason that I've met more geeks than others.

Sharon

At the time I attended WPI, it was possible to design your own program of study. While I followed the established curriculum for electrical engineering, I had friends who developed their own programs for environmental science. The project work at WPI is also a unique aspect of the curriculum that provided an opportunity to team up with other students and a faculty member to work on an interesting and often cutting-edge project.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself just prior to embarking on my first college experience, I would say this. Go with an open mind. While college is certainly about choosing a career path, it’s also about finding out what kind of a person you are and what matters most to you in life. It “takes a village” to figure this out and fortunately, college is just that. It is a microcosm that provides tremendous opportunities to interact with people in many different ways. This can be overwhelming at times. Reach out to your professors, teaching assistants, counselors, and administrators when you feel confused about things. They are there to help you. Be deliberate about making friends and keep in mind that shared experiences in college forge a strong and lasting bond. Look for kindred spirits whose values and outlook on life resonate with your own. My hope is that you learn not only how to be a successful student, but also how to be a good friend, a good person, and a valued member of the community. This is the time of your life. Make the most of it and have fun!

I found WPI to be a very supportive environment for a young woman starting out in a technical field. When I attended WPI, there was a much high percentage of men to women and it was a bit intimidating. The administrators were particularly supportive and it was with their encouragement that I was able to complete my degree. Today, WPI has a special program that brings in alumnae as mentors to help the undergraduates learn more about what it's like to be a woman in their field of choice.

Caneshia

Fresh on the heels of graduation, there is a sense of optimism, as if life lies ahead waiting for someone to bring the change needed. Make no mistake; there shouldn't be false expectations of changing environment causing a changed individual. Opportunities waste without one willing to take a chance. So take a chance. Bring action to your thoughts. Bring movement to your ideas. Passive discontent is useless. Accustom to excellence, you must know that success you achieve so easily will come only through contrived struggles. You may come to question your abilities. Being a small fish in an ocean, there will always be someone smarter, stronger, or more articulate. You can only bring to the table your best. Being surrounded by these individuals, will help your best become better. Independence has been kryptonite to those undisciplined in its ways. The key to success is to moderate newfound freedoms. Don’t overindulge. I promise that instant gratification's rewards are worthless compared to those that come by time and effort. Most importantly, remember you're going to university to be productive. Find your niche. Take classes that don’t pertain to your major. Join an interesting club. Exploration is imperative.

WPI is private so academic standards are not mandated by the government, which makes a better teaching environment. The majority of classes squeeze into a seven-week period. This is good because it teaches you to learn quickly and simulates real-world experience. The only issue with this teaching style is somtimes subjects, in an area, are skipped over or not thoroughly ingrained in your mind.

There are tons of opportunities at your disposal. In terms of leadership, academic help, clubs e.t.c, WPI is not in short supply. There is an organization for everyone. The campus is beautiful during spring and early fall terms. All the employees are accomadating and nice. The atmosphere is open and inviting. Most importantly, the standards are high. Graduating with a degree from WPI will more than prepare you for a career.

Daria

The project requirements at WPI make a WPI education very unique. WPI students are required to complete 2 projects before graduation, an Interactive Qualifying Project (IQP) and a Major Qualifying Project (MQP). The IQP can be in any area and the MQP is completed in the major field. These projects are exciting because they allow students to work on real-world problems. Both projects are team based and topics are chosen that give back to the community in some way or solve some community problem.

While I have gotten so many things out of college, such as a sense of community, research experience, and the opportunity to learn from wonderful professors, I feel that one thing stands out above the rest. The major thing I've gotten out of attending WPI is seeing first-hand how undergraduate students can make a huge difference in society. Whereas many colleges tell students that they can't work on real-world problems until after graduation , WPI believes that its students have great and applicable ideas right now, and don't write them off as too young or inexperienced to make a tackle these problems. Attending WPI and knowing that my professors not only think that my ideas have merit, but expect me to develop and apply them in the world, has instilled me with a sense of worth and determination to solve problems that I didn't expect to gain until much later in my career. I believe that gaining this sense of confidence now has kick-started my enthusiasm about my future career, and made me that much more determined to change the world, and I credit WPI for giving me this drive.

I wish I had known more about the scheduling system at WPI. Rather than the 6 course semester system, we have 7 week terms with 3 courses per term. Though I knew this, I didn't know how difficult it would be compared to the semester syste. However, I now think that this system is really useful because it teaches students time managment abilities and how to learn new concepts quickly. Both of these are skills that will be crucial in both graduate school and the workforce.

Worcester Polytechnic Institute administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.