Worcester, MA
Worcester Polytechnic Institute

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Worcester Polytechnic Institute

Jenna

WPI is the school where one will work hard through all 4 years, and be rewarded by having a strong, good career ahead of him or her as well having the confidence from experience of constantly working in groups to solve real world problems.

In high school, I never had trouble with classes. I would go to class, do the work that was required, and would do fairly well and that was that. I was never really challenged and therefore my motivation to actually do work outside of class was practically non-existant. What got work done was the fact that I knew it would benefit me in the end and that teachers and family were working hard to make sure I had a good education. Thanks to those people, I got into a fantastic school, , but now here I am in my sophomore year, in the middle of my chemical engineering courses, wishing I had learned how to manage my time so I wouldn't be pulling all nighters. At a school this intense, the work load is not taken lightly, despite taking only 3 courses each term; the amount is not impossible to complete in a logical amount of time, but one needs sit down and work without distraction. Each minute used to procrastinate is taken out of your sleep schedule, not your free time for later. Time is not an hourglass, one cannot turn it over to have more time.

What is most frustrating about WPI is that a student is almost constantly working . WPI is based one 4 7-week terms and so while a normal semester would be having midterms, a student at WPI would be having finals and had his/her midterms 3 weeks before. It is a very fast pace school and myself being a student majoring in Chemical Engineering with a minor in Materials, the only time I get to relax and have time to myself is when I am sleeping., because during the day is schoolwork as well as activities I am part of.

Andrew

WPI forces individuals to reconsider constantly, while at the same time repeatedly reinforcing the principles that all engineers must rely upon.

The most sincere advice I can offer to both parents and students about finding the right school is to look deep into what it means to be a student at the given institution. There are three aspects to consider when choosing between schools. Tangibly there is the academics and the social life, but you also must rely on a "gut feeling" you get when you tour and explore campus. I strongly suggeset trusting your inner sense and first impression of a college, and always remember transferring is never out of your options if you decide later that you are not comfortable. Always trust yourself and choose what is truly the best decision for you.

A student who loves learning, working hard, and enjoying the rewards of attending a rigorous academic institution. WPI is tough academically but has much to offer after school both in the social life, as well as job placement in the future.

Tiffany

This university is filled to the brim with diverse students from all over the world with different interests but they hold one common trait, determination.

I know that I spent hours upon hours upon hours deciding where I was headed for college. I asked all my friends, all my teachers, my family and still had trouble reaching a decision. I didn't decide until 3 days before the deadline. What I realized was that making the decision was my own, no one could help me - granted they all gave me advice. I get to choose the final word. It's important to realize that you shouldn't go somewhere because of your friends, your mother [like I almost did] or any othe r reason than one you have for yourself. Ultimately, it's where you will be spending the next four years of your life, not your friends, not your family, you. It's where you will meet friends that you will still keep in touch with after college, where you will fall in love, where you will experience things you will never experience elsewhere. It's your time to be independent and learn. Learn. That is the only thing you should remember to do. Not just learn information, but learn about others, learn about skills, and most importantly, learn about yourself.

What's frustrating isn't the material, it's the amount of the workload that we recieve and the nonstop assignment after exam after project that we recieve from week to week in such a short amount of time.

Thomas

They are sort of geeky but very smart and articulate.

They are sort of geeky but very smart and articulate.

My advice about finding the right college is to find a place where it seems like you will fit in. Make sure to visit the college campus before deciding to go there! Most important is to meet the people on campus and see what they are like while you visit. When you're on campus, ask yourself: "Can I see myself walking around campus here?" It's sort of a hard question to answer, but if you meet the people around there and see what they are like you'll probably be able to see if you fit in there.

Stephen

My classmates are all friendy and very intelligent.

My classmates are all friendy and very intelligent.

My school is best know for its academic excellence. It has a great math and science program.

I would tell the kids to choose what they want and not what they think their parents want. Think about size and major mostly when selecting a school.

Lisa

As for finding the right college, research schools that have the major you're interested in. Looking at them online gives you the general feel and you'll automatically know which ones you're interested in or not. Visit the ones you think you might like. After visiting them you will definitely know which one is for you. Do not pick a school based on friends or a boyfriend. You will make your best friends at college. Making the most of your college experience is important. Do study hard and focus on your schoolwork; make sure it is your first priority. Do not, however, forget about the social life. Get out there and meet people. Join clubs and groups on campus. Leave your dorm room door open and meet the people on your floor. These are the people that you will see all the time, and they are the people you will be friends with throughout the rest of your college experience. Focus, but have fun.

Someone who doesn't like to work hard and study a lot should not attend this school. You have to be driven and focused or you could fall behind before you even know it's happening.

The social life is way better than you expect. It's not just a bunch of nerds playing video games all the time, which is what you expect going to a school that is so hard to get into. The fraternities and sororities make the campus. The best part is, there's one for everybody.

WPI has something for everyone- it literally has activities that range from "larping" (kids who organize epic battles with foam weapons) to varsity football to a FIRST robotics team.

Visit the college. When I was looking at colleges last year, my mom brought up the idea of visiting WPI. I was completely against the idea- what could this school possibly have to offer me when I hate snow and grew up in the very built-up suburbs of New York City? Why would I want to go to a school in seemingly the middle-of-nowhere, Massachusetts? I ended up visiting BU and BC and absolutely hating both. On the way home, my family and I stopped at WPI and as soon as I stepped onto the campus, I fell in love with it. I knew this was the school I wanted to attend as soon as the tour guide mentioned something about a nuclear reactor. That was when I truly realized that I was a science-geek at heart and that I wanted to go to a school where everyone else would be more than willing to accept that.

The campus itself gives off a free-spirited atmostphere. It has exactly the right amount of urban vs rural scenery. Sure, Worcester is a big city in New England, but gafter rowing up around New York City, Worcester has a refreshing connection with trees and greenery and just overall freedom that I never experienced anywhere else.

Diego

They are very Focused on Studying, but know when to have fun.

They are very Focused on Studying, but know when to have fun.

Every college is different, I would advise to chose a school with a good balance of academic reputation, as well as being known for extracurricular activities. In the end college is about the time you spend there and what you get out of it, therefor visiting the campus and talking to active students is a key part of chosing the right school. Also look at what alumin are doing with their lives, make sure they have made a living with what they have done in that particular college, because you are paying for a future, so you better know what you are going to get out of it.

That I am going to be making more money when I hraduate than they are.

John

WPI's unique project based curriculum is unparalleled. All student's are required to complete three projects before graduating. First, a humanities based project involving five courses and a culminating seminar enriches student's minds. Next, the Interactive Qualifying Project brings together groups of students from different areas of study in an attempt to solve real world social issues. Last, the Major Qualifying Project requires in depth knowledge, creativity, and maturity in the student's field of study. It is, again, completed in groups, in an attempt to ward off harmful student competition, ushering us into the real work force.

Take the price of a college into account last. It may make mom and dad squirm, but the school you are happiest at will always, in the end, be the best choice. Scholarships and financial aid of all shapes and sizes can be found but who would complete the applications just to stay at a school that doesn't meet their needs? College will be expensive, so make sure you're paying for something you want. Going to college is the teenage equivalent of climbing out of the crib. It's time you started working to shape your future so get into gear the moment you arrive. Meet new people, join clubs, participate in campus events, and, most importantly, get your degree (That's why you're there, right?). Every step you take is now a strand you weave into the quilt of your life and there's no turning back. College campuses churn with opportunity so carpe diem!, seize the day and grasp every opportunity you find. The world awaits. All you have to do, is take it.

Self-motivated, learning-oriented people should attend WPI. The teachers always teach what you need to know, but there's always an added pressure to excel accompanying a heavy work load per class. The comparatively small number of student's and the large number of club and organizations means positions of leadership are always available but only to those leaders who step up and take them.

Lisa

It's small enough, which can be a good thing, and it's big enough that you don't know everyone but you can still make a lot of friends. It is challenging academically but as long as you have a good work ethic you will do fine. Overall it is a very good school and I am glad I didn't go anywhere else.

There is a lot of diversity because there are many international students. The school is mostly male, but being a female, it's not really that big of a deal. There are a lot of typical "nerdy" kids but there's still a good amount of "normal" kids too. Friends from other schools have visited and commented on how nice and non-judgmental many WPI students are.

Try to have an idea of what you want to major in while you're applying, even if you aren't sure, you should have some idea of what you're good at. Make sure you don't go to a tech school, for example, unless you're absolutely sure you want to do something with math, science, or engineering. If you aren't sure, it's better to go to a school that has a wider selection of majors, to avoid needing to transfer later. Don't go to a school you don't feel right at when you visit. Don't go to a big university if you feel more comfortable at a smaller school. As for making the most of the college experience, I would suggest not partying on weeknights and concentrating on schoolwork. Don't let your social life get in the way of something more important that you or your parents are paying a lot of money for.

Worcester Polytechnic Institute administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.