Worcester Polytechnic Institute Top Questions

WPI is one of the few schools in the country with a Robotics Major. I decided to attend specifically for that reason. They continue to refine the different courses in the major to make them more applicable to what you need to know for future employment. The school provides an enviroment where you truly feel like you are part of a community. I found a place that I can call home.

Shea

I consider WPI’s term-based system to be best compared to those of other schools. WPI’s academic calendar goes be terms, or quarters, rather than semesters. As a result, my school tends to have more breaks and vacation periods. Not only can I return home to see my family more often, but I can also use the breaks to swap out clothing according to the changes of the seasons. And though not everyone agrees, I find focusing on at least three classes per term easier than working on five or so over each semester.

Sharon

I found WPI to be a very supportive environment for a young woman starting out in a technical field. When I attended WPI, there was a much high percentage of men to women and it was a bit intimidating. The administrators were particularly supportive and it was with their encouragement that I was able to complete my degree. Today, WPI has a special program that brings in alumnae as mentors to help the undergraduates learn more about what it's like to be a woman in their field of choice.

The best thing about my school is the structure of classes. Instead of taking 6 classes for 12-14 weeks, you take 3 classes for 7 weeks. Though you still have the same amount of work, the terms are better by a long shot. It's much easier to keep track of three classes than six, and you can focus more on each individual class. During the week, there is usually one day where you have barely any class at all, which is a great way to catch up on work. I would not want to study any other way.

The best thing about my school is the seven week term system. With this, you only take three classes at a time. This allows you to focus more on the few classes you do have. Since the classes are only 7 weeks long, if you do not like it, it will be over soon. If you do like it, it moves at a brisk enough pace to keep you engaged.

The variety of activities available to students outside of class and the focus on hands-on projects related to course material. WPI also has an excellent global studies program.

The school is very project based. Little time is spent learning abstract concepts in a classroom environment. Students on average have 1 project to be working on at all times. These projects usually are very meaningful and teach a lot.

In my mind one of the best things about Worcester Polytechnic Institute is that the 4 term, 3 course system of class scheduling allows both those who procrastinate, and those who are more preemptive about finishing their work to excel academically.

the size of the school and the size of most classes. also the surprising number of women on campus

The availability of resources and help for classes and homework. There are a lot of ways to get help and make sure you understand the material. Also, WPI does a very good job of giving their students opportunities for internships and careers.

I think that the people, professors, and overall environment are the best things.

Ivan

The vast array of academic and social resources available to students.

The best thing about my school is the size. It is tight knit, and everyone is here with the same basic goal so we enjoy helping each other out.

Jaime

The intellectual students that take pride in their work and themseleves. Everyone has their own unique identity, and for the most part, no one discourages others based on this.

The best thing about WPI is the world-class education you receive as a student there. Our university is one of the top engineering schools in the country, and our management program has won acclaim worldwide. Our school's prestigious reputation precedes it. I can't count the number of times a professional has asked me what school I attend, and upon hearing I go to Worcester Polytechnic Institute they rave about the school, remarking how they just hired a recent graduate of the university, or the great experience they've had hiring WPI graduates.