Worcester Polytechnic Institute Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Worcester Polytechnic Institute

Vanessa

I believe that WPI is a great school and its especially good if you are a person who learns visually and likes hands-on activities, researching and working with teams on many projects. WPI also works on a quarterly basis when you have 3 classes for 7 weeks and then you move on to other classes. So if you like a fast-paced environment with a focus on Technology and STEM-related subject then WPI is defiantly for you.

Erica

Worcester Polytechnic Institute is a decent school. The campus is nice, the facilites are well-maintained and the student body is friendly and inclusive. The overwhelming majority seams to be upper-middle class students from the New England area, but there are also many international students. Greek life is big, but the frats have a reputation for being incredibly friendly and welcoming. That being said, academics rank high on everyone's priorities. The quarter system is intense; three classes for seven weeks may not seam like much but you have no room to fall behind and the material comes at you fast. Did I mention you need a C minimum to pass? Anything below that is called an "NR," as in no record - no grade, nothing. It won't hurt your GPA, but too many of those can make graduating in four years hard. Switching majors is fairly common; although certain majors can be more competitive than others. How difficult getting into classes is largely depends on your major, from Robotics classes that can have mile-long wait lists to Biology courses where its no problem getting into classes a week or so after registration opens. On campus living is not particularly popular, but required for freshmen. Dorms are co-ed, but there are no gender-inclusive options for freshman as of yet. It is a typical tech school in than the arts are woefully underrepresented unless you are an IMGD (Interactive Media and Game Design) major and then it is mostly digital art. If you like a fast-paced environment and don't mind a somewhat ugly town, WPI is the place for you. If you need to have creative outlets, love Liberal Arts, or crack under stress, I would recommend looking elsewhere for you post-secondary education.

Dominic

Worcester Polytechnic Institute is a leading institution in STEM Education. the curriculum is innovative and students are expected to stretch themselves and operate at a very high level.

Sophie

At the beginning of high school, I was completely unaware of the existence of Worcester Polytech, but now that I'm here I love it. While the food and housing could be better, it is better than other schools. Because it's a small school class sizes aren't crazy and you have the ability to really talk to professors if you seek them out.

Worcester Polytechnic Institute has become my home away from home. I felt welcome the moment I stepped onto campus and I have learned so much in just a few months. All my professors know me by name and they are always there to help me and others. What impresses me the most about WPI is how they set their students up for success. Whether it's in the classroom or the million resources there are on campus (Career Development Center, Math and Science Help, Writing Center, etc.), I can feel myself growing everyday. The campus is beautiful, including the people who make it who it is; that brings a smile to my face every single day.

Swarnadeep

Most of the people are friendly, helpful and respectful. Academics is what you want it to be. You can take easy classes or the hardest one, its always your choice. Professors are always there to help. Greek Life plays an important role keeping integrity among student body. You won't feel left out if you aren't a part of Greek system though. Clubs and Organizations are super active on campus ranging from Professional societies, social organizations to gaming societies, humanitarian groups. Facility peoples work really hard to keep everything going. Career Development Center is nationally acclaimed and one of the best in U.S. More than 200 companies recruit in two of our big Career Fair ( Fall and Spring). Campus is small but beautiful and close-knit. Last but not least, we got the coolest President ever Dr. Leshin and coolest mascot - Gompei.

T

WPI is a great school. The best part of WPI is easily the people and culture. No matter who you are you will be sure to make friends and find people who have similar interests, but even outside of your friend group people are incredibly nice. The short terms are tough and a little overwhelming but the friends you make and the clubs you join will get you through. Most classes are taught by great professors as well. As a bonus, the campus is gorgeous nd the walk between classes and sports and clubs is actually quite pleasant. My only complaint would be the food but you can still find good eats and there's lots of off-campus options as well.

Sam

Wpi as a whole is not that bad. However, if you're there for Imgd it would be better to just burn your tuition money as that would at least save you time. This program is run by children who will make fun of students with disabilities and beat you down if you try question them. They let professors teach topics that they know nothing about and prevent you from learning what you want to. Most of the classes are just busy work that don't even help you get portfolio pieces. If I had been able to, I would have transfered out of WPI. The only reason I don't feel hopeless is because of the Computer Science department. Overall, if you want to go to WPI for something other than IMGD you should do it. If you want to go to WPI for IMGD, be prepared to be disappointed and have the worst experience for the next 4 years.

Colleen

WPI was a school that barely existed during my application. I barely gave it a second thought compared to my top choice, where I was ultimately rejected. I began to learn about the school that would be the best choice I have ever made. At WPI, I am challenged to become the best student, leader, and person I could be, and I am grateful for the opportunities I have been given here.

I love it here! It is everything I ever wanted in a college. I enjoy the extracurriculars. In academics, I always had trouble with math so it was helpful to see that the professors are available. Great resources such as tutors and office hours. Did really well with them!

Khadir

WPI is a high stress, technology driven campus filled with a diverse group of students. Failure is not an option. With the high cost of tuition, the desire to succeed is compelling. Access to faculty, staff and fellow alumni is always readily available.

Tyler

I believe that Worcester Polytechnic Institute is one of the best schools in Massachusetts. The increased pace of the terms makes for faster classes, and the professors genuinely want you to succeed. The campus life is rich, and there is a club for everyone.

Hunter

Worcester Polytechnic Institute is a medium-sized, private college focused on technology and engineering. The campus is just under an hour west of Boston, but I found that there are plenty of shops, restaurants, and other things to do within walking distance of the school. The meal plans are a little overpriced, but the food is quality, and the staff are very friendly. The professors are established and the classes are very comprehensive—it is an engineering school after all. I really enjoy my time here, and would make the decision again in a heartbeat.

Connor

I looked into many schools when applying for college, but WPI stood out to me the most. It offered so many different opportunities in different areas that I could not pass up the chance to apply. Being here for now a school year and a half, I can say I choose the right school. The academics are fantastics, the professors offer their help and are reliable, and the student community is very close and energetic. The facilities are in great number and are all very resourceful. The food and housing is also great. I would not want to be at any other school, thats why I give WPI five stars.

Jeffrey

WPI is known nationally for their engineering program, especially their biomedical engineering program. It's close to Boston and their co-op program helps students gain experience, earn pay, and get used to the work expectations that this growing STEM job community has.

Richard

h

Davina

It's a great school where you can always find someone to help you with your math homework. We have a bond over the fact that most of us are engineers, and that bond enables us to study together and to understand each other better. The campus is easy to traverse and to fall in love with- and everyone has a go to study space! The faculty wants us to learn and will go to further lengths than many to either help us understand better, or to connect us with others to help.

My last two years at WPI have been very enjoyable. The classes are extremely challenging but there are plenty of resources and people that are willing to help you. The atmosphere of the campus and classes are very collaborative and it is a friendly, non competitive campus.

Manuel

WPI is a great institution. It is well recognised academically and this is reflected in a variety of rankings. On the other hand, it will also be reflected on the amount of work you have to do, it is a tough school. The biggest academic difficulty most students complaint about is time constraints. If you work hard you will do well. If you like to party and fill like this school is not for you, give it a second thought. It is way cheaper than Boston and your have a lot of transportation options to go there as well as Providence. Between Frats, House Parties, going to Boston and Providence (or any other places), you will definitely enjoy your college life. Lots of non academic activities offered by WPI. Definitely, recommendable you will have a good time and your hard work is statistically expected to pay off. GOAT BIG OR GO HOME.

Kristen

WPI is a great school. The atmosphere is so nice; everyone really loves being at WPI. The professors are great (for the most part) and they're always willing to provide office hours to meet and help you if you're struggling. The food quality depends on where you go to eat. The Campus Center has much better food than the dining hall in Morgan, in my opinion.

Janette

I am very happy I chose to attend WPI. The community is very friendly, all the professors and staff are all very helpful, and WPI feels like a second home. The food from the dining hall is also delicious. WPI also has seven-week terms, so it is easier to focus on a certain amount of classes at a time rather than having to take classes for a whole semester.

Karly

I could not have been more terrified as a high school student being shipped off to college. I expected to hate college and miss everything about home, but even a week into school I knew I loved this place. The campus may be in the middle of a city, but it is enclosed and has its own community feeling to it. While it may be closed off from the city, it is very easy to go off campus and walk down the street to a restaurant. There are so many activities to do on and off campus. WPI offers a variety of different clubs, sports, and societies. I, as a freshman, have even started a Spikeball club with some of my friends. Whatever passion you have, WPI will have it or will support you in it. I came to WPI expecting there not to be much of a nightlife, since it is known as a nerdy school. While there are people that will stay in and do homework on the weekends, there are a lot of people that go out to parties too. There is something going on almost every weekend night. There are many fraternity parties which are the most fun. Greek life is a huge aspect of the WPI social community. Even when there are not frat parties, people also throw parties at apartments. Most students live off campus after freshmen year, yet upperclassmen housing is offered. There are many apartments occupied by students less than a 10-15 minute walk away from campus. Also, since most of the occupants of the apartments are students, it is a safe area. Students must live in dorms for their freshman year and most dorms are triples and some quads. The dining hall is in the same building as two of the dorms, so it is convenient to not have to walk outside to eat. The dining hall food is not bad, but definitely not the best. The best thing that WPI students will say about the dining hall is their cookies. Most importantly, WPI is known as a high academically performing school. While students are involved in a variety of activities, schoolwork is always the priority. The best and most unique thing that I like about WPI is how there are four terms instead of two semesters. Each term is seven weeks long in which students only have three classes. This is beneficial because it allows you to focus on only a few subjects at a time. Overall, WPI is an amazing school with much to offer.

louise

You have to know what you are getting in to. The quarter system means you are taking 6 classes + labs in a Semester instead of 4 (in other places) . It is very intense. It is great for students who want to double majors or have minors. But it means you need to have a strong background from a College prep private school or from a school like Bronx Science. The first years you will have to take core classes (chem, phys calc) and you better have taken all those AP classes in High School because Professors are not available for office hours. They are involved in Research and lecture 100s of students in a huge lecture hall. There is no time for support. Because the quarter is a short time, there is few tests. THose core classes have only 2 exams. Tutors are quickly taken and its hard to find one. Once you get to the projects (like IPQ) they only take the best GPA to study abroad. Most of the students will stay on campus. In short it is no for students who come from public high school with weak STEM programs. It is designed for College prep students or Bx Science HS. Also they are not very generous in financial aid.

Donna

It can be the worst four years or the best four years depending on the person you are. If you are someone who thrives in smaller environments and who has a genuine passion for STEM, then this is the place for you! If you like big cities and maybe want to explore different majors outside of the field of just STEM, I would not recommend WPI as the college for you.

Devin

A rather unique project-based learning institution. The opportunities presented to pursue activities related to one's major are endless, and they very much so push students to begin internships their freshman year. With the quarter system, students will complete a course in 7 weeks, and enrolled in minimum 3 courses per term, by the end of an academic year a student has completed 12 courses (hopefully). Many professors have obtained high degrees in their respective fields, and are extremely knowledgable regarding their subject of study, often times doing paid research through the institution. Campus has a friendly environment, many students are looking to meet and engage with other students. Although in Worcester, the campus and immediate surrounding area is cleanly and quiet, especially for a city environment. Overall, it is a campus of friendly people; both students are staff, that are devoted to learning and engaging their minds.

Lilly

This school far surpassed my expectations. I am a pretty normal person who likes to play sports, go out on the weekends, but also has a passion for school. I was worried about the students here and that I wouldn't find my group, but I was very wrong. Joining Greek life especially helped me find people more like myself and to make more connections with other people who value the same things that I do. The schoolwork is very hard and a lot of professors are hard to understand and it can be frustrating, but if you meet with them they will help you

Ethan

Overall, it is a great school. A place where students have many opportunities to succeed. Class size is a plus because they aren't too big and they aren't too small; the perfect size. Really nice people and professors and overall a very happy campus. The only bad thing I will say is WPI does the most to get every dollar out of you they can. The school is extremely money hungry.

Jacob

WPI is a very good school to obtain a STEM degree. It is also a very good place to gain plenty of opportunities to apply the theory learned in the classroom to student clubs/activities, coops, and internships, all of which will help to ensure a well paying, satisfying job immediately after school.

Laura

I am currently a freshmen here at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. When I decided to come here, I wasn't completely sold on what the school had to offer me. I hadn't toured very much, but I knew coming here was my best option for academics. However, once I got here I knew that I had made the right choice. There are so many clubs to join, all that want new and eager members to come to one of their meetings. There are constantly events being put on by the school, clubs, or Greek organizations. Here, there is never a question of if there is a way to be involved. This school lets you be whoever you want to be, and will encourage you to chose the path you feel is most suited for you. The academics here I feel speak for themselves. They are rigorous, but there is such a great community that will help you if you are struggling. This school has a great combination of difficult classes that will really challenge a student and prepare them for the work force, while also providing students with safe options to get involved with groups on campus!

lewis

The college looks really amazing from the outside, and the campus makes you feel at home. The dorms are really good for sleeping and to talk to your people and friends. You can be yourself and they have lots of extracurriculers that can keep you motivated to do more things in the college.