Xavier University of Louisiana Top Questions

Gerard

Have more fun. College only happens once. Stay focused but enjoy yourself more.

AVanti

Never give up on your dreams. People are crazy, so beware. Always trust in yourself, you have been reared by an excellent woman, you have what it takes to be the best!

Antonia

Do not go to a HBCU. Do not listen to your parents when looking over acceptance letters. Go to the college that you want to go to. Be ASSERTIVE!

My advice to myself as a high school senior would consist of three things. First, keep an open mind when deciding your major. As a Senior I always thought that biology would be the major that only interests me, however once taking elective classes that did not pertain to my major, I realized that minoring or even switching my major is something I am definitely considering. Second would be to participate in clubs that are completely different from the ones you choose in highschool. Although in highschool, I was active in the student body, I mainly had friends to rely on to keep me company or influence me to join their club. But once in college, you don't have that same group of friends to do that with, so join clubs that interest you and even one or two that you normally would not in high school. Its a great ice breaker and a chance to meet new people. And lastly, priorize and use time management skills. College is the worst place to have the case of procrasination as I did. The stress alone can affect your mood, performance on test, and your overall attitdude. Manage your time wisely.

Ronisha

Although you are very excited to leave Texas, don't be too eager and take things slow and don't get too crazy although you won't. The school is very challenging and you need to take it serious or you shall fail. But, you are young and think you know everything which is common but you know nothing, so behave yourself. Also, boys are idiots and if they don't like you don't fret. You is fine, you is smart, and you is important.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself in high school, there would be so much discussion and advice. First, I would talk about the importance of applying for scholarships early. Financing a college education is so costly in today's economy with schools being so frugal. Next, I would tell my former self to make more campus college tours to get a better perspective on the university. This probably would of changed my current college career plans. I would probably not be attending my current institution although I love it now. Next, I would tell my former self to examine people carefully. In life, there are acquaintances and friends. In college, many are acquaintances due to networking around campus. Therefore, it is best to be with people that support my interests. There is a fine line between a friendship and a networking opportunity. Finally, I would tell myself to save more money and not spend it unwisely. In college, unexpected costs like books and fees happen quickly. College is an amazing journey to take but difficult to survive without thinking wisely.

Dear Old Self, Hey man its me Josh in the future. Im in college sitting here writing you this letter because we have a few things to discuss. Stay focused man, work hard in those AP classes because it will prepare you for college. Josh make sure you go to class and study; these girls and your friends will be there in the long run. Take an oppurutinty to apply for sholarships so you can make it easier on your parents because the money is out there. Dont wait until the last minute to study for test Josh because it wont help you in the long run. Making notecards for yourself does actually help. Im not saying be so school driven that you dont have fun in high school. By all means have fun but make sure you do things in moderation kid. Take care of the family and help out mom with your sisters and brother as much as you can. Most importantly in life yo will see obstacles thrown your way but Never, Never let anyone tell you you cant do something. Phillipians 4:13 carry it with you, Sincerely, Future you

Elizabeth, there is so much you need to know before you go to college. Here are a few important tips to ease your transition from high school to college. Make sure you have a steady sleeping schedule. You need to get at least seven hours of sleep every night, or you will regret it during class the next day. Save as much money as you can. College tuition is expensive, and textbooks and supplies make attending college almost impossible. Take very thorough notes. If your professor allows you, record his or her lectures and take even more notes when you get home. Also, read the textbook or assignment before you go to class so that you understand what your professor is lecturing about during class. Either form study groups with quiet, focused individuals, or don’t form them at all. If you make study groups with your close friends you’ll just end up talking the whole time, and you won’t get any actual work done. Don’t procrastinate; do your homework as soon as you get it, otherwise you won’t end up getting everything done in time and your work won’t be good quality.

Ronise

If I knew then what I knew now, I would have told myself to stay focused no matter what distractions may have come in my way. I would have told myself that although I will have to sacrifice somethings such as a social life and my time, in the end it would pay off. However, if I knew my brother would be murdered my junior year of college, I may not have come all the way to New Orleans from Buffalo, NY. However, If I knew then what I knew now, I would appreciate those in my life that I love and my time a lot more than I have in the past. I would also have been better equipped myself with better time management skills. That is essential in college.

Kia

I would have told myself to research the school myself. I did not conduct any research at all when making my decisions on coming to Xavier. I would also tell myself to talk to the student you left the school and what was their rreason for leaving. Last thing I would have done differently is I would have went to visit the campus first and also the city I will be living in.

Once I go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that there is nothing to worry about. I will tell myself that it is everything that I had imagined. The stress and the hard work to get to the top is all there. I would also tell myself not to worry if I have a hard time making friends because by the time I hang out with a few people, I will gradually be able to make friends with them. It may take some time at first, but it will be worth it in the end because they are the ones who help you get by at school. Another piece of advice I would tell myself is to practice planning out my day so that once I'm in college, I would be able to follow that plan easily and not get distracted. Also, I would tell myself to lay low on the unhealthy foods as I go through school because it's going backfire in a few years.

Ashanti

If I could go back in time and speak to my high-school self, I would give myself several words of encouragement. I would remind myself that I have the work ethic, ambition, and skills needed to do well academically, and that I shouldn't expect anything less than the very best from myself. I would remind myself to keep in touch with old friends, teachers, and employers, because who you know is an invaluable asset to many opportunities. I would also instruct myself to form relationships with my professors and make myself known as a studious, competent individual. However, while I was encouraging myself to be a great student, I would also tell myself that it is important to give myself a break every once in a while. I would attempt to get myself to be more sociable and make new friends, provided that they are the right kind of people to hang around. I would encourage myself to surround myself with supportive, studious individuals so that we can all support each other. I would tell myself most importantly not to stress over things I can't control, be patient, and enjoy the experience.

Kathern

I would have studied a bit harder and applied for scholarships. Not having enough student loans to cover school is a constant worry and I just wish I had a scholarship to help me from worrying so much.

Save a lot of money towards college cause you are going to need it. Be ready to focuse and dedicated to your work.

Monique

If I was entrusted with the gift of time travel, I would give myself two nuggets of advice. First, never settle for mediocrity for the comfort of the majority. Flashback to freshman year biology- my teacher complemented me on a question I asked and someone behind me mumbled a critical remark. In my effort to fit in, I began to withhold my enthusiasm for the subject matter and my grades suffered. On the other hand, I would say, “Monie, passion pays!” Later in my college career, I rediscovered my love for Spanish and my heart’s desire was to study abroad. To my surprise, my idea was met with the stern disapproval of my advisors in the biology department, but I couldn’t let that stop me. I needed to be able to look myself in the mirror in ten years say I made the right decision. So I went anyway and after just one year in Mexico City, I had earned enough credits to qualify for a Spanish degree! I now hold B.A. in Spanish and a B.S. in Biology and I have no lack of job opportunities!

LaShawn

As a high school senior back in the 1996-97 school year, I was very prideful and thought I had it all together. My GPA was a 3.71 and I was in the top 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of my class. I did not want to settle for anything less than becoming a doctor because for me this profession represented power and control. I never wanted to be in any position(s) that required me to be an assistant or technician in which I had to submit to someone over me. Currently, I am working as a high school paraeducator in severe/profound in the Lafayette Parish School System and am working on my M.A.T. in Special Education at Liberty University. Knowing what I know now I would tell myself not to shut people out especially those giving sound advice. Take a profile test and determine what are your likes and dislikes because this way you will be able to make an intelligent decision about your major. Apply for as many scholarships as possible so that you don't have to struggle and that way you will be able to pay for college, buy a car, and meet your needs.

Dominique

The advice that I would give myself is to complete as many scholarship applications that I possibly can, no matter how many essays that have to be written. As well as, take advantage of all the information that is given.

The best advice I would give myself was to study HARD and to fend for myself because highschool is where a lot of the teachers baby you. You have to fend for yourself in college. No one is going to baby you, no one is going to be in your ear telling you what to do and what not to do. No one is going to give you guidelines on how to pass. Everything is up to you and how much you want to recieve the best quality eduction.

Breia

I would tell myself to join more extra-curricular activities. Though academics are important, its also important to be social and well rounded. Also start looking for scholarship and financial aid as early as possible. When transistioning into college, slow down take a deep breath and enjoy each moment. Just relax and take each day as it come.

Timmy

The advice that I would give myself is to never give up on my dream. I would always have to prepare for the best and expect the worse. Every year changes drastically. It is alright to make mistakes, but make sure you make the effort to make up for it. Follow your instincts. If you're happy with what you have, stay with it. If it does not make you happy, find something that will. Apprecriate for what you have such as the education that mom being the single parent work so hard to give. Take your time. The only person that can only do it for is you! And, remember be happy for who you are and in what you do, because even thought there are dark moments along the way, the future is still very bright.

janay

If I could go back and give my high school self some advice is stay focus. There will be some obsatcles that you would face that you do not want to interfer with you learning. You would also have to adjust to sharing a room with human being you may not have anything in common or even not get along with but do not let that affect you either. One major thing to remember is that college is extremely different from high school. You will be faced with work loads you can not even imagine so it is best to be organized and stay ahead of your work. Just remember to stay on top of your work. Its better to work first and play later!

Shanti

Actually try and study. Keep all the notes from the classes especially the sciences.

Porche

The one thing I have gotten out of my college experience is that education is free but college does not come cheap, and if you are going to college just to get away from home, that is not a bright idea. I started as a college freshman at Houston Baptist University and my grades were not where I wanted them to be so I figured I would transfer to a college away from home to take me out of my comfort zone a little bit. When I transferred to Xavier University of Louisiana, things started out rocky, but I was able to adjust. I ended up having to start over in my major and take on a second major being that I was scammed when it came to accepted credits, resulting in an additonal two years added to my graduation date. This came as a valuable lesson to me, because now I am learning to appreciate my classes that much more. I am a first generation college attender in my family, and attending school has allowed me to gain some understanding of how things work from the mistakes I make. I have a new understanding of "make your decisions wisely".

Johnnie

From my college experience I have gotten an appreciation for knowledge and a desire to gain more. My experience has been valuable to me because it has opened to many other oportunities for me that other wise wouldn't have gotten if I wouldn't have gone. Prior to going to college my only options were death or jail because that't the usual outcome coming from the evironment of which I grew up.

Xavier has high expectations as far as academics and they push you to succeed. This school is also very active in the community. All students volunteer, especially on Martin Luther King Day, I personally have volunteered at a church and a charter school. Xavier also makes its students more aware of worldy issues. There are plenty of fourms on diverse topics, I went to a fourm on HIV /AIDS epidemic in Louisiana. Xavier creates a learning environment that produces well-rounded, educated individuals.

Chi

From my college experience, I learned that I should not screw up my semesters. I have to stay concentrated if I want to succeed.

During my college experience, I have realized that life is a balance and nobody is going to carry you through life. It should be taken in a serious manner but at the same time it doesn't hurt to stop and have fun. I have learned that the best thing to do is be myself. So many events have occured during my time here at Xavier good and bad but It is my responsibility to keep my head up and keep pushing forward whatever the circumstances. I have learned that I am not afraid to speak up for what is right, stand my own ground and let my voice be heard because If I don't say something about what is going on around me, nobody else will. It is valuable to attend college because people need to find their personality iand in college they actually got a chance to sit down with their thoughs and focus on the goals and paths they want to take in life. In college the most valuable lesson that I have learned is to keep God first and everything else will fall into place.

LaBentria

My college experience ultimately prepared me for all the challenges that I have faced in life thus far. The foundation instilled in me by the Xavier University family has forced me to push myself beyond my physical and mental abilities because for me there are no limits and no boundaries. My college experience provided me with an opportunity to enteract with people of all races and ethnicities removing any preconceived notations that I might have had as it relates to others. At Xavier I learn, "the highest expression of Love is to give with out expecting and to accpet without exceptions." This has allowed me to "do, serve, and give in abundance." My undergraduate experienced help me to realize that the only thing constant in the world is change and because of that today I take life as it comes. I am able to stand in a world and not feel inferior. I am able to critically think about things even when I have not had exposure to them. I am free and able to be who I am without regressing into what society wants me to be.

Demondria

I started off college at a 2-year college, being in college is very hard. It's nothing like high school,the teachers are not riding your back about your work , and they don't care if you attend or not. Everyday I wake up and think to myself if i don't get up and go to school who will get that degree for me?? NOBODY. it's very important for me to get a degree in a field that I LOVE. Im not like most freshmans in college. I go to school FULL.TIME and i also work FULL.TIME! college means everything to me, but right now im looking for scholarships that will help me. I payed for schooling out of my pocket the first two years, and well now my pockets are running a little low, I will do whatever it takes to go to school next semster, rather I have the money or if I don't. I think it's pretty sad that I don't have any kids and i cant get one scholarship!

Charmelle

I've mostly been getting information about various medical schools. I've also been getting information about what I could be doing to improve my college experience and increase my chances of getting into college. This is information that I haven't gotten on my own or from my high school. This information is preping me for what I want to be in life. That is why it is valuable. Even with the twists and turns I can count on the fact that I am getting what I want.

Diamond

I have only been in college for a month and what I have gotten out of my experience in college is that you studies comes first and you must be serious about schoolinn order to succeed. There are many other students here trying to make it into medical school and the moment you stop being serious is the moment you will lose your spot in the race to becoming something you had plans on becoming. The process is not hard if you are willing to work hard and be a successful. No one cares about your feelings and no one really care about if you do your homework. Life is a tad bit harder when you become a college student!

Jazzmine

While in college the responsibilities increased. I had to make sure I was always punctual and gave every assignment 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}. I made exceptional grades and that, in turn, allowed me to receive many awards and Valedictorian of my class. My college experience taught me to really appreciate the education I was receiving; I understand the full value of an education. Lately, it has been very difficult applying to enroll back into school, to receive a Bachelor’s Degree, for financial reasons. College taught me to be an adult. I had to care of everything on my own; so, I became a more responsible, dependable young adult. In college, I had many presentations, which increased my charisma skills. Also in college, I gained amazing friendships that I do not believe could have happened anywhere else and made me a more sociable individual. In all, my college experience made me a better overall person. I undoubtedly understand and respect the importance of a higher education.

Shelly

My experience at Xavier University of Louisiana has impacted my life in a major way. Eventhough, I have had only one year of experience, I feel like a more mature person. I have truly grown in various areas while at Xavier. Because of maturity and growth I can value Xavier's worth. Xavier's prestige is not manifested until one is an enrolled student. One thing I love about my school is its liberal arts education. Here, you get to have your cake and eat it too! From live Opera performances on campus to trips to Allen Ailey Dance Concerts., It has certainly broadened my horizons. I value this part of my education in particular because it is such a privilege. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. I feel extremely proud to call myself a Xavierite

holly

It has been a valuable experience because i plan on transferring to a 4 year university to earn a bachelors degree. with the degree i can get a better job than i would be able to get without one. attending college has introduced me to new ideas and an opportunity to meet people i otherwise wouldnt have. College has given me the opportunity to find out what i do and do not want to major in.

I have learned a lot of valuble life lesson while attending college. Most of all, it has made me a responsible adult and I am very appreciative of that.

Gina

Ou tof my 5 years of community college, I have received good education but what next. An associates degree really does not cut it. I have to aim higher. One importatn thing that i will always remember , is to not crap around and take easy classes because you will be in school longer than you think.

Talanisha

My college experience have been life changing as an individual. I learned to have more respect and confidence in gaing a future for myself. It will be a goal I reached all alone, that I can truly say I accomplished by the grace of God and my own encourage. Although there is support of my family and friends....I push myself the most. College life is the entertrance step of being an adult the way I look at it, and I wanna make all the right choices in order to pass the step and continue on my journey of being a succesful individual. And hopefully inspire others to the same as me!

i've matured as a person but im still myself i realize that having my parents pay out of pocket for my education is something to appreciate. anytime that i mess up on a test or quiz i feel as though im letting my family down. being away from them only make me stronger and i know that I have no choie but to succeed..or i'll be home.

Faith

My first year at xavier I have learned how to be an even better writter then before. Also, my experience here helped me develop my interpretation skills as well as the skills to mutitask and solve any problems I have individually. I experienced the learning experience of a lifetime.

Semaj

If I could go back in time and talk to myself I would definitely tell myself to get involved in as many extracurricular activities as I can handle, study early and hard, don't be afraid to talk to professors when help is needed, choose associates and friends wisely, depend only on yourself, form study groups with dependable classmates, and always have an open mind when trying new things no matter what it may be.

If I were to go back in time to the year 2009 to talk to myself as a high school senior I would remind myself that this would be the biggest transition in my life. I would tell myself to enjoy my last moments in high school because those memories are forever. College and high school are on two opposite ends of the spectrum, be prepared to work a lot and learn how to manage your time. The amount of time that you spent studying in high school, doulble it. Prioritize. Call your parents and thank them often. Most of all be prepared to be treated as a responsible adult because eventhough the years have passed quickly, you are an adult now. Lastly never forget how much time you've spent and the hard work you've done to get where you are. Remember that, so that you never loose sight of your goals. That is what I would tell myself if I were to go back in time.

Travis

I would have told my self not to procrastinate. I started off late applying for schools and didn't really get the oppurtunity to visit all the schools I really wanted to. I also took the ACT late and only got one oppurtunity to take the exam but I came out with a score of 22 so I knew if I had took more tries at it I could have improved my score. The only way I recovered was all thanks to the greatest counselor in the world. She knows alot of people and pulled some strings and somehow ended up gettin me a awesome deal of a scholarship. So as if I had any choice, I took the scholarship and I love Mrs. Noojin forever for that. The thing I most regret procrastinatin is my financial aid. Not really knowing how financial aid works in college I thought I was able to get it in time with the school but I didnt. I'm really paying for it now but out of the whole process and how it ended, I would have done the same thing. Xavier is really a good school.

Planning for finances during high school can help you enjoy college life significantly more and make the transition much less stressful. Take the time to sit down with your parents and figure out what your expenses will be for everything, including tuition, room and board, books, and travel. Saving during high school and working during summers will give you a great deal more time in college to focus on academics and have a social life instead of trying to balance academics and a work schedule, which becomes even more difficult when you are taking upper level classes. Practice time management early on, even in high school when things can sometimes be easy. Being able to juggle several different commitments is important in making the most of your college years- if you know how do this effectively, you will be strides ahead of your peers and significantly reduce your stress level. Most importantly, remember to take time for yourself- sometimes the transition and the academic load can be a little overwhelming, and it's crucial to clear your mind and relax on a regular basis (even for just an hour or so) for your own mental well being.

Iesha

If I had the opportunity to time travel and talk to myslf as a high school senior with the knowledge have now about college life I would inform myself about so much so I can be prepared emtionally. As a high school senior I wasn't oblivious to college life. I know more was going to be expected of me. I knew I would have prioritze my responsibilities if I wanted to exceed. What I didn't know is that I was looking at college from a high school stand point. I still had a high school mind frame, study habits is not a major issue. I thought it was something everyone have. It has to be practice like eveything else. I was under the impression that time mangemnt came with prioritzing, didn't realize that priortizing is putting what is best in your life first. In college every course you need is best in your life. Time management is knowing how to set time frames for subjects. Know that sometimes you have to change time frames because classes demand differently. If I could back I would be looking at college life from a college frshamn stand point.

The most important lesson is to study hard always. It's important to take a couple of short breaks while studying so your brain doesn't overload. Another important word of advice is that college is not all about partying. When I first started college in the fall of 2008 I didn't think that it would be but many students have had that impression. There are many party schools but Xavier University of Louisiana is not one of them. Since it's not, it helps you to be more focused on your work and studying. Another piece of advice is make time to exercise. When you are on campus and the cafeteria food is not that great you do have the choice to order out, but after awhile you can pick up a couple of pounds if you don't exercise. It would be a good idea to make up an exercise schedule and to buy healthy foods from the grocery store. Make sure to study hard and to be healthy. My last words of advice is choose your friends wisely. All of the tips mentioned are helpful to me and I hope they will be to someone else..

Britany

If I could go back and talk to high school me I would tell her that college is not high school, things won't come as easily as they always have. I would tell her to take her time and not get overwhelmed at the new experiences that she will go through. Most importantly I would tell her that all people are not good people and you have to be careful because there are things that can happen that will try and hinder your progress. I would tell her that if the obstacles that she will encounter are unavoidable, then she should always have faith in herself. Stay strong ask for or seek help when she she feels that she can't go on. That she isn't alone even though at times she feels she is and that even if she makes mistakes, anything is possible to come back from.

Chloe

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to buy ear plugs and be more tolerant of other people. When you are in college you are introduced to many different people who come from different backgrounds. Some people are not just mean and disrespectful and you should give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Work harder at not jumping to conclusions and you will save yourself a lot of trouble that way. Don't mistake being a nice person with being a push over, don't allow people to use you. Most importantly do not doubt the fact that you are meant to be a doctor, class will be hard sometimes but you can and will get through it.

estrellita

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, first I would say hi. Then, college isn't like high school, people are different, and willing to work together. You would enjoy, the climate, and the classes, but don't lose your focus. Don't forget that you are there for you education. Don't forget to have some fun in between, either though. You must learn to balance everything, work school, and fun. Remember you are only working there a for a while, your goal is to get to the job you really want. This is important to remember, they do offer tutioring, don't be afraid to ask for help, especially when you need it. Also don't be imtimidated by the work, it's not as bad as you think. One more thing don't slack on looking up scholarships either they help pay for education.

Jazmyn

I would tell myself to focus on school and let m friends go because I will not be in touch with any of them. I would tell myself to start at Los Medanos College and take all the core classes except science. I would tell myself that the boys in my life for the next two years do not matter because they will not be there in the end but still put my all in the relationship to learn the lessons for my future. I will tell myself to continually save money because I will have to provide my own transportation while I am in New Orleans. I will finally tell myself that nobody will love as much as your family and if you find a person that does; take the relationship slowly.

shenequa

Never ever proscrastinate and never live with regrets.