Xavier University of Louisiana Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Xavier University of Louisiana

Kyle

Xavier does not have the quality of students for social gatherings, but overall, academic achievement us superb. There are plenty of resources to be successful on campus and beyond. Safety is a concern and on-campus housing is terrible. Student organizations are not very loyal.

Trinity

At first, I was nervous to attend, but now I am glad that I did. Yes no lie Xavier University of Louisiana is a hard school to attend but it is worth it This school will break you down to build you back up and you will see why in the future. It is close to my home and is also an HBCU which I wanted to attend. I love coming here.

Hala

This is a great school that will especially prepare you for careers in health sciences and medical school. Even if medical sciences is not your major there are many other degrees offered. The school is located in midtown Louisiana not far from the City Park which is beautiful. It is very easy to get around on the trolley cars. It is small which allows for a close knit community.

De'Ahn

Xavier University of Louisiana, many believe, is solely an institution for those students who see themselves having a medical career, but I feel as though many of the departments are just as equally successful. Though the living conditions and food arrangements could be improved, this is not just a problem for Xavier, but other universities as well. Xavier is a small school so there aren't many relatable experiences as other HBCUs with a larger student population would have, but there is always something to do.

Kerington

Xavier is a great school in my opinion. This school is mainly about academics so I don't recommend this school for anybody looking to party all of the time. There are plenty of things that can be improved at Xavier but this school can still easily make you feel at home. I plan to continue my undergraduate education at Xavier University of Louisiana.

Myeesha

As a current student, I am enjoying my time here at Xavier University. My major is very difficult, but the professors are always there to help. They will not let you fall behind, but you have to be willing to go to the hours for help. There upperclassmen are also very helpful. If the professors aren't helping you understand your information, upperclassmen are quick to help you in your classes. Honestly, Xavier is a big family. We believe that everyone should succeed and no one is left behind.

Aerial

It is a very family friendly school. I feel right at home here. It is so easy to connect with other students who are not commuters. There is always an event going on for the students. I recommend that they build more lamp posts around campus because it does get very dark.

Barry

Its a good school, especially if you are entering the medical field, whether it be a doctor or nursing. It is New Orleans so there is something always going on. They have Madi Grass which is really fun and have all sorts of good eating spots.

Briana

Like many other students, I love my college partly because of its variety in course offerings—the college tries to accommodate different academic interests and create an encouraging environment for pure expansion of knowledge. College excites me partly because of such openness to the giving and taking of knowledge. It is an environment wherein so many interesting speeches and seminars are given simultaneously around campus that I don’t think I have enough time to attend and appreciate them equally. In all seriousness, if you are in college and choose to neglect free speeches, you are not making the best out of your opportunity to access education. They are wonderful not simply because there is no price tag associated with it. They are wonderful because somehow you are exposed to a great thinker and pioneer in whichever field you name it. Sometimes they will be a faculty member of your university. Sometimes they will be esteemed figures whose popularity permeates various institutions and settings. Sometimes they will be someone whose work inspires you greatly and whom you would never expect to approach in vicinity, let alone to pose a question and receive an intelligent, light-shedding response. Sometimes they will be a writer you note from the Internet whose focal point of research sounds engaging enough for you to set aside an hour which you would probably spend procrastinating on schoolwork anyway. Most of the time, you will take away something genuine and valuable and rare.

Haley

The school Xavier University of Louisiana is something I have been looking for, for a long time because it has almost everything I need. The location is everything with the city and the networking. The people here are also the type of people I know for sure I can get along with.

Andrene

Good school. Pricy. Great academics. Campus active.

Rhitney

I am currently a student at this institution and I love it here! I am from Texas so the culture is something to get used to. Staff and upperclassmen students are very welcoming and friendly. I think that there are certain things that this institution can work on but I have nothing negative to say towards Xavier University of Louisiana.

Mia

XULA is a great school for Science majors, especially Pre-Med and Pre-Pharm. If you’re attending for that focus, I completely encourage it. If you’re not, really research and contact people about your preferred program because you want to make sure there’s resources for you here. There are so many opportunities for summer research for science majors, and XULA provides opportunities for all students of any major as well. Besides summer research, there are also many study abroad opportunities for students who are determined to try it. Academically and preparationally, XULA is a great choice depending on what you want to major in. Socially, I give it a 3.5/5.

Alexa

Currently, I am a freshman at Xavier and love it! I am going to admit before coming to XULA I was not excited at all but, as soon as I stepped off the plane in NOLA I was excited. Xavier is extremely respected throughout the city of New Orleans just know if you leave campus wearing XULA attire someone is bound to stop you and talk about how much they love our school. Although bio pre-med is the big major here, other departments have the same success rate. In addition, Xavier is known for being a study school which sounds boring but, the students do a great job at balancing both work and play. The only real complaints from students have to be with housing and food. The caf has a few good meals but everyone comes out for Catfish Friday and the school is starting to get more outside vendors so we can have more options. When it comes to housing there is a visitation and curfew but it's not bad and is pretty reasonable. My only recommendation is don't room random your freshman year. The process to switch roommates is long and tedious. When it comes to being a student at XULA like anything any other school, your success comes down to how much time you dedicate to wanting to be successful. There are many tools on campus to help students succeed there is a whole building on campus called St. Joe's full of student resources. It houses everything from tutors to councilors. All I can say is Xavier is what you make of it and everyone here loves our school. #XU

Skylar

I believe that it is a great school. I am so ready to begin my experience at this school in the fall. It honestly felt so good when I was on campus. Everyone looked so happy and that was a wonderful thing to be able to witness. They have very rigorous academics that prepare you for your future career. They also stop to help you succeed in life in general.

Ania

It costs too much. They add on an interest if you have not yet reached the payment deadline which adds more money that you don't have to pay off. It's upsetting. They make you pay for everything which is hard if you don't have the money. The food in the beginning was good until you found maggots in your pasta. The teachers are easy and helpful and I like the tutoring session,club but I wish Xavier had an area that is open on latenights during the week and weekend where we are protect extend from the rain and outside cold and mesquitos a place to chill

Zoe

Xavier University of Louisiana is one of the most distinctive universities in the field of education. Not only is Xavier an HBCU, but it is also the one and only Black Catholic Institution in America! The values and morals instilled in students are like none other. While this is an HBCU, Xavier makes it their duty to pertain to every culture and race enrolled and even cultures outside of the community. At the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year, the Student Government Association board held an event called, "All Around the World". This was a week long event with a different ethnicity dedicated each day. Food, live music, games, and assemblies were a part of this event to educate students of the Xavier community about different races and how similar and different they are from us. Xavier also doesn't shame those that aren't catholic. In March, Dr. Reynold Verret, the president of the university, marched with students around the neighborhood in hopes to ensure those of the Muslim religion felt safe at the school regardless of the new laws that were almost passed through Congress. Xavier never fails to educate students on culture because they know that life is more to than just being around those so much like you. I appreciate all of the values, morals, and lessons learned here. I wouldn't want to thrive elsewhere!

Naema

Xavier University of Louisiana is a great institution for any student who plans to go into the Biology and Psychology majors. This institution is structured for academics only preparing them for future careers. I loved my experience visiting this Campus!

relaunia

since I have started at Xavier in the summer of 2015, i have learned a lot of topics that will help me better myself. I absolutely love Xavier! The professors are very helpful and they are always available for the students. even though it is expensive but it is very worth it. The resources available for the student are excellent.

Jasmine

The culture of the school is everything! This is the best HBCU in the state of Louisiana!

Xandrea

Xavier's campus is very vibrant on some days and quiet on others, but there's always something happening. Whether it's a big event or small the campus life draws you in and encourages you to be involved. Sice Xavier is an HBCU, some of the buildings are old and it adds a historic feel to the campus itself. The students and staff on Xavier's campus will do they're best to make anyone feel welcome and help whoever needs it.

Korel

It is a nice school and their academics are a thing of beauty, but the boys' dorms are an absolute wreck. I don't mean to speak so impulsively but the proof is in the pudding! For any young men who is interested in Xavier please come take a tour of the university, and if you plan on staying on campus make sure you take a nice long view of the dorms!

Dominique

I think that Xavier University of Louisiana is a phenomenal school that values education. Each and every student that goes there has the same mentality of reaching their dreams, and Xavier does a great job with making everyone's dream come to reality.

Morgan

It's definitely a work in progress. Great for STEM Majors especially biology, chemistry, or the premedical/prepharmacy tracks. Facilities could use improvement. Love the emphasis on community service. Professors are very available and helpful; some are very pretentious however. I wouldn't really recommend the school, but if you're a high school student or a college student who did not do their best academically then it might be a school for you.

Dekea

Xavier university of Louisiana is the best hbcu to attend. On top of being the best hbcu in the country it’s located in the best city it the country NEW ORLEANS! The city of fun, laughter, and music; can’t beat that! People are friendly and kind. Xavier University of Louisiana is a university that brings out the inner you. Totally a “must go” college.

Racquel

I love this University. It is a small home where people of my ethnicity come from a range of backgrounds. I love that we all share a common goal to succeed in life. I chose here because I am one of the few Catholic African Americans in this country. I was highly disappointed when I realized that this university's identity as an HBCU comes before its identity as a Catholic University. I wish there were more Catholic young adults that I could talk about my faith with, because I sometimes get tired of being the only person present to defend my faith.

Monet

Being a transfer student at Xavier University of Louisiana has allowed me to see the university from a different perspective from those students who attended the university all four years. The number of students that attend Xavier is small, thus meaning that your social routine may become familiar or complacent in a short amount of time. However, we are located in New Orleans with walkable distance to multiple streetcars stops allowing one to travel to the city with a chance to meet new people. Many individuals major in the sciences, but all departments are rigorous and require hard work and dedication. There are multiple resources on campus for assistance relating to school as well as self-health. Overall, the university cares about the mental health of students, because they know the difficulty of classes at Xavier and want to see their Xaverities succeed. Sports are limited at Xavier for we do not have a football team, so people invest their time and energy towards the Basketball team. There are not many options for on-campus housing. Xavier has four dormitories with strict rules and curfews. There is only one co-ed dormitory on campus available to upperclassmen. There are houses throughout campus which some decided to rent to Xavier students, and there are also a number of apartments near Xavier. Xavier has the prestigious academics that is needed to be an accomplished young man or women in life. If someone is looking for an enjoyable challenge while learning about a great New Orleans culture, Xavier University of Louisiana is the place to attend.

Zoe

I love the teachers here at Xavier they seem to genuinely care about their student's education. As far as campus life improvements could be made! Dorms need a lot of work, the rules are very strict and it makes many students feel like they are overly controlled. Some of the building on campus are quite old and the affects of Hurricane Katrina are still quite evident. The cafeteria though has made some incredible updates still lacks variety, and hot food is a rarity.

Alexis

Xavier allows a comfortable space for minorities to discuss issues throughout our community, nation and world.

Dominique

I feel that Xavier University of Louisiana properly prepares you for graduate school, or your preferred field you plan on entering after college. Xavier provides a plethora of opportunities to stay involved and enjoy you college experience while staying focused as well. Xavier has many opportunities to get help where help is needed and they treat you like family from the moment you step on campus. I wouldn't trade my HBCU for the world.

Khalil

This is an excellent university and the name alone holds weight within the higher education system. Academics are great but campus life does suffer a bit due to the small campus size and lack of enough housing facilities. If you think your niche is within a small, open campus with very good academic programs and a reputation that looks great on any resume that's in a fun and culture filled city, then XULA is for you.

Maiya

It’s a great school, you just have to remain very focused. It’s very easy to slack off and that is something you don’t want to do at all. Overall I it’s a great school and I would recommend it to anyone especially those wanting to eventually go to medical school or pharmacy school.

Kobie

Xavier University of Louisiana is a great school. Being that it is a private school, it isn't as big of a campus, which is good for students that walk to class. The classrooms do not have as many students as other colleges and universities, so there is better interaction between students and professors. The extra curricular and club activities are stellar. The school also embraces the African American culture, as well we should. I love XULA!

Arieanna

It’s an illustrious university that it’s very good for African American students who want to go into medical school.

kennedy

I have visited several colleges/universities including Xavier University of Louisiana. Based on their statistical data for being the number one university in the country that sends African American students to medical school, I have decided to attend XULA in August 2018. As a premed student, I believe Xavier will be a good match for me to pursue a career as a dermatologist.

Anam

Xavier University of Louisiana is a unique school enriched with all forms of culture. I always feel welcomed by the campus environment, as well as the faculty and students. The faculty truly is one of the best parts about this school. Not only are the class sizes smaller than the average, but because of this, the professors are always aware of who you are. The professors themselves truly strive for their students to succeed and lend their hands out even beyond their office hours. They do their best to help, especially through the rigorous academics. Xavier University of Louisiana also provides a wide variety of subjects, some that I never thought I would have been interested in, let alone minor in them! Xavier University of Louisiana gives room for a student to grow and hands many opportunities; however, the students must go out of their way to seek it at times. The campus life is tranquil, and the students are generally nice. It is more academically focused, so it can feel droll at times, but as someone who prefers academia, this school is great for me.

Delphine

Xavier Louisiana is an amazing school and is unique among its HBCU counterparts. Too further explain, it is the only HBCU that is a Catholic school, produces the most blacks that get accepted into medical school and is 3rd in the nation for producing black pharmacists. Though XULA does not have a football team or marching band and no one really cares about sports, it's an incredible environment for learning, development and growth. The small campus size is great from knowing people, classes are tight-knit and it's extremely easy to access professors outside of class and get help from them. There are also a lot of tutoring centers and mentoring resources to help with one's academia. Overall I think XULA is an exceptional school in the realm of academics, opportunity as well as learning about different cultures.

ryan

I love Xavier! there's intellectual conversation inside and outside of the classroom. you can't escape it lol it's actually pretty awesome. don't get me wrong though, we know how to have fun. I also love the location. the campus is so close to everything, from Walmart to bourbon street. the faculty and staff are really supportive and kind.

Hiden Agenda

Xavier University of Louisiana has made me fall into deep depression. Thankfully for my wholesome friends that I was able to find out of a pool of hoes, potheads, and snobby people that attend the school. The teachers are terrible and quite racist. During one exam a white professor yelled to the students as they were getting to their seats for the exam said were going to start in 3 seconds if you cant count to 3 youre not going to med-school. Which was very inappropriate to say in a high stressed environment. On the first day of my freshmen bio class my professor immediately after his introduction said if you cant pass this class youre not going to medical school. Teachers and faculty are very prepared to say that to students which is unfair. In another instance I have to go to a bio pre med meeting every week , and yet again i here if you dont do a summer program or if you get a C you wont get into med school. And I am very tired of people a the school who preach what students can and wont do. None the less if the school stopped stressing students out, teaching wrong material for the test, maybe their retention rate would be higher. And the graduating class would be much bigger. 28 percent of students graduate on time. And the main ones graduating from the school are ASIANS NOT BLACK PEOPLE. The school is hard and make it impossible for students to succeed. Student wise a lot of the girls tend to have hoe-ish tendencies. This IS NOT A SMOKE FREE CAMPUS! literally people go on the terrace to smoke and there was a big drug bust last year for weed. The food is terrible there was a big out break of maggots in the pasta, there was a cricket in my friends salad, and I myself say a ROACH crawl on the counter and into the granola. Club wise its pretty much SGA but it is a very exclusive club, not very welcoming. And to get any positions, or be an RA, or a tour guide you have to take a course that no one is informed about unless you know the right people because the school NEVER ANNOUNCES ANYTHING thus having the functions boring. Campus police are terrible. The campus is not safe recently there has been a shooting in the area and a stray bullet hit campus. There has been an incident where students had a gun pulled outside a dorm on them , luckily they got away. In response the police said it was probably a joke and a staff member said well you shouldn't have been out this late. There was also an incidence where the a girl was punched in the face by a man, mugged, and had her belongings taken. These are only a few accounts that I am sharing but what can you expect with a raggedy neighborhood in the middle of campus. Everyone paints Xavier as a rainbow but they forget to add the clouds.

Quinton

My overall opinion of Xavier University Of Louisiana is a very good one. Attending Xavier has allowed me to gain perhaps some life long friendships and some extremely great knowledge. From the minute I arrived at Xavier I had a feeling that it was going to be the best decision I made in my entire life.

Gerard

After the first year, I feel there is little help in being able to pay for my tuition and the on-campus tools are more suggestive than actual solutions. The courses and professors for my major are helpful and knowledgable in their fields and have regular office hours. They're willing to work with the students in making sure they pass the course or assist in understanding the lesson. The dorms are clean for the most part but can feel drab and isolating, or too open and crowded. St. Mike's feels like a prison and DP is really quiet in the afternoon but super loud at night. Xavier is a fine school if you can afford it but you should look for more options.

Joshua

Overall, Xavier University of Louisiana proves to be one of the best HBCU's in the country. The students there are motivated to succeed in their classes and are provided many opportunities to do so from the resource centers to supplemental instructors. The classes also still able to challenge Xavier students, providing more proof that Xavier students are provided a rigorous education. On the other hand, people on campus are friendly and rarely seek conflict with others as they are busy with their academics and organizations present on campus. The on-campus housing could be better in terms of providing entertainment areas that foster a sense of community but overall the housing is decent. The only real flaw of the University is the campus food. The Cafe is decent in the morning but a hit or miss later on. I advise people to lower their expectations for campus food. Still, Xavier is a good place.

Zion

Xavier University of Louisiana is ranked #3 among the top HBCUs in the country. I can honestly say that it lives up to its rank. Like every college or university, it has its cons and pros; however, the good aspects of the university outweigh any shortcomings. It is a prestige school will a variety of disciplines in the arts and STEM fields.

Cathy

Xavier is an okay school. The professors are nice and they genuinely want you to succeed. Facilities are okay, but on-campus housing isn’t recommended. Parking is a hassle and sometimes it is difficult to find a parking space, While campus may feel safe, make sure to walk with groups! Better safe than sorry.

Trinity

Xavier is a really good school, but it definitely isn’t for the weak. You really have to buckle down and be on top of your studies but with all the resources it isn’t hard to be successful. The teachers are big helpers and the student life is great. It’s really a fun campus and it’s easy to find your own group of friends but we know how to come together and be lit

JahdeJa

Xavier is a great STEM school especially if you aspire to attend medical school. The small school gives a great family atmosphere. The schools mission is to create a more just and humane society and one can definitely see the school working towards its mission through community service and more. Get involved!

Kenneth

I love their spirit. They bleed black, gold, white, and green there. From my experiences, people are always trying to help each other and always learning new things. They have some of the best professors in the country and are nationally ranked in multiple academic areas. If anyone wants to go to a good school for nursing, engineering, or law that is the place to be.

shaundessy

My goal in life is to become a successful surgeon. From the experience at Xavier University, they will definitely help me achieve my goal. They are very face to face with students and its one big family on campus. Xavier will make not only my dreams come true but also many other future pharmacist, doctors, etc.

celita

My overall opinion on Xavier University of Louisiana is that the education is beyond amazing. I love the campus life. I enjoy the fact that I am in small classes so that I am able to get more one on one attention. I enjoy the extracurricular activities. I like participating in the mentoring and leadership programs that are provided here on campus.

Ian

I attened the university for a pre college residental summer program in 2019. I liked the univeristy very much and I have recently applied to XULA and hopefully I will receive formal admission soon. I look forward to starting my academic career at Xavier!