Yakima Valley College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Yakima Valley College

Brenda

Yakima Valley College in Grandview is small and very accessible. It is good for anyone that needs that one on one assistance. If you don't want to be far away from home or if you want to work full-time, Yakima Valley College is perfect and works around your schedule. My only concern is I wish the campus was a little bit bigger and offered more classes.

Paola

Yakima Valley College is an okay college with supportive teachers. I only have a few problems, one problem is parking is a hassle to find after 9:30 am which is a bummer considering if you do not have a class before 9:30 parking is really hard to find. Another problem not only I have but many other students I have spoken with have is the financial aid department. They just do not seem as if they are trying and hardly do anything to help the students. they are more of a " oh well we can't do anything but wait so come back next week and we'll maybe have it but who knows" type of department and it upsets a large amount of students attending YVC. Other than that the school has a wide variety of clubs you can join which is nice.

summer

Overall going to school at yakima valley college is pretty great, the people are very nice teachers are almost always avalible and willing to help you out. There are many opportunities to be involved in clubs and student government. I would recommend this school to others because the class size is small so it is more interactive and you get more one on one time.

Jackeline

I like attending YVC. The help the staff gives out is outstanding. Professors are very understandable and helpful. Overall the campus is great, leaders help others when they’re in need. We get updates on activities the campus might have. For it being a community college it’s anazing, especially when you’re on a budget, the tuition fee is not bad.

Gina

I don't like how they are not financially organized. Students are always waiting for financial aid to kick in, or for money to go into the account. But besides that it's a good school, it's not that pricy compared to other schools. I feel like some of the teachers don't care as much. So do and they will really work with you but I feel like some just put all this pressure on you without thinking about the things we have to deal with outside of school, whether its work or caring for your family. Besides that I think its a great college for you to start off with, it gives you experience before going to a university, I just wish they had more bachelor degree options.

Mary

I think that YVCC has great professors and students are usually friendly, but not a college to attend if looking for the traditional college experience. Most students go here around three hours a day and then go to a full time job, making it hard to find students that are there to make friends or be social.

Lyliana

Yakima Valley College is an extremely welcoming campus. Everyone is very open to getting along and showing you around. They have numerous activities going on in the day as well. All the professors and staff are nice and make sure you are doing good in everything you need. They also keep regular class hours and reply to emails fast to answer any questions you might have. Overall awesome experience there.

jennie

The school is located in Yakima, which is not the safest city. There are always police sirens going off (mostly at night). During the day, when classes are going on, the campus is safe to by alone. However at night, it is not the smarted and safest idea to by alone. Always use the buddy system, and if you are using the buddy system, make sure you have a large person with you. Like I said earlier the campus at night time isn't safe. The dorms at the college is not the nicest, and you are not allowed to fry or use oil on the stove top. Though it sucks, the price of the dorms is cheap, it is sort of safe due to security being on campus 24/7. Along with security, the dorms have dorm moms. They are meant to keep trouble out of the dorms. There are a few people in the neighborhoods that like the steal and break into cars, they are there to help prevent that. Living in the dorms isn't bad since there is always something entertaining going on in the dorms. As for the college part, I do not know much about the general school. I am apart of the nursing program at the college which has its own building. The nursing program is incredible. I highly recommend the program to anyone wanting to the a RN program. The instructors are always there for you. On top of that, they will give you their personal number for you to text them questions. The instructors want students to succeed in the program and graduate as a nurse. Overall, the campus is not the greatest, the dorms aren't the nicest, but the nursing program is worth attending the school.

Steven

it is a great 2 year. theres alot of courses to take that you can then transfer to a 4 year to complete. the campus is really nice and clean. their is no fights it is really kicked back and chilled. the resources their for the students are very good.

Abby

It is very close to home and a place that students are able to go while still being in a home town. It is something that is available to everyone around and a good opportunity to take classes when you can. The environment is amazing and something that everyone should take advantage of.

Koto

It is a school that provides quality education for a good price. The professors (most of the time) really care about the students and their success. You will still have to work hard, but the professors are available if needed. The class size is perfect: typically about 25-35. Overall, I really enjoy YVC.

Dallon

It is a very nice school. Admins are very helpful and a safe campus to attend! Every time I’m there, a lot of teachers greet me with a smile and they are always welcoming to there classroom. The walkway to classes are very kept up and it is a very nice college to attend! Roll Yaks!

Kevin

Yakima Valley College is an excellent college for students in the Yakima Valley. YVC offers a top notch education at an affordable price. Students interested in Agriculture, Health Care, Business, Information Technology or completing their Associates Degree should look into this college. As a side-note, just because the the name hasn't been updated everywhere yet, don't let the Community fool you. As of 2016, Yakima Valley College is the official name, and they also offer Bachelors Degrees.

jasmin

I think it's a good school to attend if you want your AA and attempting to transfer to a University. The professors attempt to enrich the class as much as possible each term and make the classes enjoyable even if the subject isn't your cup of tea. They're easy to get along with and overall I enjoyed my experience attending.

Shane

YVC is an amazing college in my opinion. For the cheap tuituion there are so many avalaible services readily avaiable to the students. I do not like the city it is located in but overall, I like the school. I find it easy to focus in classes because they are small and the professors incorporate communication with the students. I would recomend YVC to anybody.

Alexandria

Yakima Valley College has a very aesthetic feel to it. There are sculptures all over the campus that have significant meaning to them, which make you think about different life perceptions. The professors and staff are very friendly, and are helpful most of the time. The athletics at this school are a lot more popular than I have seen at another community college. I am currently staying in the dorm rooms and they are quaint and provide basic everyday life things like air conditioning, running hot water, a functional kitchen, washing/drying units, etc. I would definitely recommend my school to future incoming freshman and would recommend to them to be involved in athletics or various groups on campus, because there are tons of groups to join and get more involved. :)

Courtney

YVC is an alright school. I am mainly attending this college because it is close to home. The staff are kind of hard to get ahold of sometimes. There hours are all over the place. You never know when they will be there. im mainly just there to get my associated and move on to bigger and better things!

Matthew

YVCC is a great way to get your AA out of the way affordably, as I did. They have rebuilt virtually every building in the last 10 years so it’s very nice and modern. They work well with other Universities to set up your transfer AA. They have expanded their online courses offerings and now have a few bachelors programs. I don’t regret my time there at all.

Samuel

Yakima Valley College is overall an amazing school for pursuing a career. It is a great school for academics and student life. I do recommend any student who wants to stay local in the Yakima Valley. It has a great staff, and I met a lot of students who are very helpful, and who love the campus.

Husai

It is a quiet but enjoyable place to be. It's close to my hometown and very affordable. In my opinion it's better to attend here and get the general degree to transfer those credits to a university and focus on your major from there. However, Yakima Valley Community College is a great college and is quickly growing because they are now offering Bachelor degrees to pursue in such as the Bachelor's of Applied Science in Dental Hygiene, Business Management and Information Technology.

Alexandra

My opinion of Yakima valley college is that I like that they have flexible schedules, especially if you have little kids and if you have a job. They offer classes with different time schedules, sometimes there is a class you can't sign up for because it's to early but they have options for later that day.

jo

I really like YVC so far, It's not the biggest college out there but they get the job done. Perfect for knocking out your associates before you travel to a different 4 year. I'm lucky in that my degree has a 4 year program (IT) and the professors have been very helpful with whatever I have needed to work on my schooling. Sports: We have sports but idk what they are really, I think baseball and basketball. Its not really a major focus here as far as I'm aware. Food: A lot to be desired here, they just got a store to buy food at but no fresh food made on campus. Party scene: I don't party but, its Yakima and safe to assume there are people getting fucked up all day.

Elisabeth

Yakima Valley College has given me a great education. I will be graduating in 2020 with my associates degree and I feel like they have prepared me well for my future steps. I am currently a high school student who attends YVC through running stat and I love it so much. High school has never challenged me so when I got the opportunity to attend YVC i jumped on it. I get a great education and am challenged every single day. I would definitely recommend anyone to go to YVC.

ToniLynn

I attended for Running Start and wasn't all that impressed with the instructors. I enjoy well involved the advisors and student council are they are what make this campus so great. The majority of the instructors I feel have lost their interest to teach and are here to collect the paycheck. For example, I had one instructor just come to class and tell us to read the books ourselves and self-teach. I understand as college students we should be able to manage but that to me is just not okay. The school is good and could be great if the instructors were a little more involved with the academics of their students.

Betsaida

I will always treasure Yakima Valley College. YVC allowed me to see what it's like to be a college student before pursing a more prestigious university. Yes, the school can improve in the food and extracurricular activities departments. However, the faculty and resources that YVC provides for students is very thoughtful and effective. I would recommend YVC to anybody within the Yakima valley who wishes to pursue post-secondary education and stay close to home.

JoAnn

The college is conveniently located, meaning any one in the area has the same average travel time to arrive to class. It would be beneficial if they had the funds to have better staffing for more hours for the financial aid office. it is difficult to handle any financial needs due to limited staff and office hours, in comparison with the amount of students in need.

Isiah

my opinion of Yakima valley college is that its a great school for when you're a first-time college student or returning to finish out your desired degree. it is a safe environment I​ can walk around freely on campus to and from classes. the professors are awesome always there when I need them.