New Haven, CT
Yale University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Yale University

Robin

Best thing: The Beautiful Minds and progessive, creative vibe. The can-do attitude. The positivity. The spirit. One thing I'd change: it's a bit of an unreality; sometimes I want to shake these Beautiful Minds into the real world from whence I came. Such is the plight of the international student. School: TOO SMALL in TOO CONFINED A SPACE. "I go to Yale": Really? (Haha yes, really, surprise!) Wow. Most common Campus haunts: Suites, class, fencing room. College town? What college town? New Haven is it's own thing, for sure - I love it. Yale's admin? It tries, props, but no cigar. Recent controversy? Zeta Phi running outside the women's centre screaming "I LOVE YALE SLUTS!" and the ensuing failed lawsuit. Swastikas of packed snow on trees. School pride? Like no other. We heart Yale more than you heart your college and we'll prove it by wearing all the merchandise we can buy. Unusual? The people are STRANGE, but beautiful. BUT STRANGE! One experience I'll always remember? Taking a poor freshman's virginity. Most frequent student complaints? No money, no time, no real life.

Fine, they're pretty in your face, but (as I have discovered) with good reason. Out of place? Erotic minorities, goths, people who've lived in the real world for any period of time, people who are WISE beyond their years, people who are alternative, people from certain super-conservative countries/areas. Yale tilts towards the mainstream, so anything too far removed from that, watch out. 1. Black kids. 2. Internationals. 3. Athletes/Frat boys. 4. College-proud, bland kids with nothing outside their residential college. Most Yale students? Northeast. Financial backgrounds? Upper-middle-class. Politically EVERYTHING? Yes. Centre, with some right inclinations. Bank accounts? No concept of money, yet. Give it time.

Not at all. Maybe for like 0.000000001% of the population. The rest are remarkable normal, all things considered.

Know my name? Yup. Favourite class? ENGL 114, with Alfred Guy. Least favourite: Chinese L1/Introduction to Cog Sci. Students study all the time, are you kidding? Students don't shut up in class. Intellectual conversations? The common Yalie code-switches from brilliant to mindless to brilliant again in the blink of an eye. Competitive? Like their lives depended on it. Although it depends. I try to avoid those types. Unique class? History of Sexuality. My major: UNDECIDED. Professors? Sometimes. Distributional requirements are like parents. You hate them, but actually they make you into a man/woman. Education? I-BANKING or GRAD SCHOOL, take your pic.

ISO!! ISO!!! ISO!!! Dorms open? Depends on the lock (present or absent.) Athletic events? Assez. Guest speakers? Meryl Streep! Theater? Huge. Dating scene: ALL RELATIONSHIPS COME TO YALE TO DIE. Closest friends? Imported together. 2am on a Tuesday? Masturbating. Traditions/events? Casino Night, the Game, COMA, Screws, Safety Dance etc. etc. (look it up) People party? Wed through Sun. Frats? Non-essential, fun times. Last weekend? Got drunk thurs to sun night, got behind in homework, cried. Non-drinking fun? Come to my dorm, baby, FB22E, you'll love it. Off campus? New Haven glory town. Koffee, Toad's.

Yale specifically, I think, has it the least bad, but in general I would say that Ivy kids are typecast as elitist preppy prep-school kids, who wear tweed jackets and vests, with money to burn. They can't hold their alcohol, they're maladjusted and they never, ever, swear ever. They'll all be President some day.

Greg

Some of them are, because this is the reason that most stereotypes begin. However, it completely depends from person to person. There are these types of people, but there are just as many who do not have money, are down to earth, and there are even some conservatives. I think that Yale strikes a great balance here. Other ivies, such as Harvard and Princeton (I have spent significant time at both), I feel are more stuck up and elitist than I typically see in everyday life at Yale.

The great thing about Yale is that there is always something going on. If you want to go out for a drink (or many), you can do that on any night of the week, and more importantly, find other people that want to do the same. However, when you need to buckle down and get schoolwork done, there are always plenty of people doing that as well. I think that this gives students a terrific balance.

Rich, stuck up, extremely liberal.

Lindsay

I think the best thing about Yale is that it definitely is a place for people to discover new things about the world as well as themselves. If I were to change one thing about Yale it would be the security. I have never felt threatened or in danger, however, I know of a ton of incidents that are very unsettling. I think that Yale is just right. When I tell people I go to Yale they usually say things like, "Wow, you must be really smart," or "What were your SAT scores?" I think that the biggest controversy on campus is racial diversity and hate crimes. I, personally, do not see racial diversity as a problem. If anything, I see a lot of self-segregation. I am Chinese-American, but I do not choose my friends based on their ethnicity. I have met people through activities that I enjoy. I am not trying to say that there isn't a problem, but I think that it is sometimes over-exaggerated. I do not think that there is a lot of school pride in the same way that there is at a big football school, but I do believe that most of the students at Yale love this school and love being part of life here.

I think that there is so much diversity at this school. As I stated before, I do think that some groups tend to kind of isolate themselves, which I think is unfortunate. I do not think anyone would really feel completely out of place at Yale. There are so many different kinds of people here, it's just a matter of going out and meeting them.

I do not think that these stereotypes are accurate at all. I think, generally, Yale students do a really good job at balancing their social, academic, and if it applies, athletic lives.

I think that the class sizes here are pretty good. I was surprised, though, because I expected them to be smaller than my classes in high school, but they aren't. I think that there is a wide range, as there would be at any school, of how often students study. I know some people that don't do any work, while others never go out. The nice thing about Yale is that I have not run into anyone who is really competitive. Everyone shares notes and helps each other out whenever possible. I think that Yale's academic requirements are becoming a little too strict. I definitely think that a Yale education is more about learning for the sake of learning. However, the skills that you pick up along the way are extremely useful for any type of work you will encounter after graduation.

The social life at Yale is pretty limited, since we are kind of isolated. Everyone goes to the same clubs, bars, and restaurants. I really like it because I run into people I know from all different types of groups. Yale does a really good job at hosting events for students, which I think a lot of school don't do.

I think that the most obvious stereotype is that all Yale students are really smart. I also think that people view Yale students as the type that just study all the time and don't really go out and have fun. I think most people think of shows like Gilmore Girls and movies like The Skulls when they think about Yale.

Max

Perfect. People are scared that Yale is not safe however every Yalie can tell you that there is no danger if you stay around campus. College pride is huge. The area around the campus is very geared towards the students. Obviously the reputation is huge.

There is a large gay community which was strange for me, being from Switzerland were homosexuality is not widely tolerated. About half of the students seem to be on some sort of scholarship. Most students dress casually (Tshirt,Jeans). Yalies are mostly left and very politically aware.

The stereotypes are accurate even though even the studious people tend to be very outgoing at Yale.

Competition is there but it isn't direct or obnoxious as it was in my high school. The education is not vocational but that is, I believe, better. Professor are easy to contact. Many classes I have taken are very small so Profs know you name.

Athletics events and guest speakers (and theater) are very popular. The dating scene relies heavily on one-night stands which usually spore at some frat. I feel that my girlfriend and I are the only couple in our entryway. Some people party and they do it a lot. Partying starts on Wednesday evening and stretches to Monday morning. Frats and Sororities are a big part of the party scene. I met my best friends in my crew team and in my entryway. Also the European society has been a source of close friendship.

There are two types of students at Yale. The excessive partygoers (mainly athletes and fraternity brothers) and the studious people.

Dawson

The professors are at the forefront of their fields, often have written textbooks for their course or similar courses, are open, dedicated and available. Students have tendency to say one thing and mean another. Readily apparent social hierarchy organized into cliques.

A student who does not overtly express aloofness towards academics (regardless of how studious he actually is) is liable to become a target of his (covertly nerdy) peers.

Rich- yes; white- yes; preppy- many are, but about as many don't give a shit because they don't have to in order to find work

Yale's attention to undergraduate academics is unparalleled. As a freshman I have had a Yale Law professor as my instructor for Intro to Ancient Philosophy, and a sophomore I have had a Fields Medal winner as my instructor for Complex Analysis. The caliber and distinction of Yale's faculty is sufficiently great to justify the cost of tuition.

I love Yale. It's the perfect size (about 5 thousand undergrads and 11 thousand total), and it's made to feel like home with the residential college system (think Hogwarts, except 12 colleges and there's no magic). New Haven is a wonderful city to live in because there are so many cool things to do and see (night clubs, restaurants, parks, museums, etc.), but it is also very close to New York City (easy train-ride away). There are definitely impoverished areas, but these provide great ways to help out and improve the world around you- I love it! When you are on the Yale campus or in New Haven it is great, but when you're somewhere else and somebody asks you where you go to school, I often feel like a tool when I say "Yale". Many people tell strangers that they go to Pierson College, or Calhoun College, etc. - whichever residential college they are in. That way, people don't assume anything about you for going to Yale.

NO! Many people do dress preppy, but 98% of the campus is NOT stuck up, full of ourselves, or assholes.

Classes are wonderful here. Obviously, we're all into learning and smart people, so classes are very engaging and everyone works hard. I know all of my professors, and for many of my classes they will invite the class to dinner at their house or lunch in a dining hall. They make a real effort to get to know you. Also, other students are always happy to have a real intellectual conversation outside of class, and people are really well-read and knowledgeable about the outside world. The work is hard here, but you can challenge yourself as much or as little (to a point) as you want. Some students study all the time, but most of us have a real life and we only study as much as is necessary. I would say 3 hours or so a day is normal, but it may be a little on the low side. Most majors here are not geared towards getting a job because, let's face it, a Yale grad with a history degree is just as good as any student. That being said, classes here are on really cool topics. I have taken "Social Entrepreneurship", "Immunology," "History of Religious Conversion in Medieval Europe", and a lot of other unique classes. Also, it is not uncommon to have a professor who is the world-authority on the topic he/she is teaching. My math professor this semester literally wrote the textbook, and this is pretty common here!

That we are very preppy and stuck up. It's also commonly thought that we're full of ourselves and/or assholes.

Yale University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.