New Haven, CT
Yale University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Yale University

Zenab

I've never seen a place that boasts so many of the world's geniuses in realms ranging from the sciences to the arts. Going to class, you'll walk amongst published poets, renowned mathematicians, and acclaimed singers. Not to mention, they've have created foundations, charities, and community service programs that give back to the WORLD. The talents here are overwhelming, yet you'd never know. Everyone here is so humble. It only inspires you to contribute. Although talents are everywhere, they'll never be to the concentration that it is at Yale, especially with the amount of humility.

Captain of two Varsity teams, Homecoming Princess, and Class President. You must be so proud of yourself. So far, you’ve had the high school career people dream of, a career that dozens of teen movies perpetually mirror to chronicle the “Popular Girl”. But you’re unhappy. You're unsatisfied. You feel something is missing, but you don’t know what. You’re right. Between all of those afterschool meetings and basketball practices, you missed out on you. You did what was expected of you, not what you necessarily wanted to do. Be different this year. Take every idea or interest you’ve ever had and attack it. Try everything until you’ve found something you love. In college, you'll meet people with hobbies they adore and sincere memories to tell. They’ll be more in love with their talents than you’ll ever be with a basketball, all because it was their choice. They did what made them happy, unaffected by others. Senior year, live like them. Don’t act out another teen movie. Write a new script that pleases you and don’t worry. You can erase, cross out, and add as much as you want.

If someone can't handle not being the best at what they do or are interested in, they shouldn't attend Yale. Yale is a place for people to be inspired by the fact that they are no longer number one at everything, like most of us were when we were in high school, and that there is more to learn. The competition at Yale to be the best will eat someone alive if they can't come to terms with the fact that someone just may be better, and that they should applaud and study it, not envy it.

Victor

Acapella and theater are huge. For some reason, Yale has the most talented students in arts. Even if you aren't a part of it, it's wonderful to know such talented students and also to benefit from them enjoying their arts. Also food! It's huge, with amazing dining halls and multitudes of restaurants in New Haven, food is a big one at Yale. Make sure to try New Haven Pizza- amazing.

Professors are friendly, I immediately get back e-mails whenever I have questions. The students are incredibly motivated and it's a GREAT atmosphere to be in. Everyone is excited to be there, to work together, and to accomplish something. It's not competitive, rather it's collaborative. The science department has been making leaps and bounds recently, with incredible funding.

Yale kids are often seen as rich snobby kids who got in with their parents money. Is it true? Not at all- all the people I met here are humble, interesting, and extremely varied. Kids here range from all backgrounds but share a certain bright and enthusiastic vibe.

Danielle

If I could impart one piece of wisdom to incoming college freshman it would be this: far more important than your achievements in school and in life, is learning to welcome failure. Failure means you’ve taken a risk. Failure means you’ve stepped outside you’re comfort zone. If you’re open to its lessons, failure means you are learning, growing, and transforming. College is the perfect opportunity to learn to leap into the unknown. Don’t settle. Refuse to make excuses for yourself. Join the clubs that you have no business being a part of. Take that class with the teacher you’ve heard amazing things about, but that you’re sure you’ll do badly in. Make friends with the person who seems to have least in common with you. Go on the adventure. Don’t just take the French class, find the closest French restaurant and go speak to the chef. Pushing your self-imposed boundaries is the key to self-realization. It’s not something to be taken lightly, or to be put off for when it’s convenient. Fail now. Fail harder. If you do, chances are the rest will take care of itself.

Someone who wants a very broad liberal arts education, wants to work very hard, and is not concerned with career goals at this stage in their education. Someone who has specific extracurricular interests, and/or wants to get involved in lots of different extracurricular activities. Someone who is independent and not afraid of taking risks.

The amazing students who I went to school with - brilliant, kind, multi-faceted people.

Jess

I absolutely LOVE Yale. Juggling everything can be stressful at times, but there isn't anything major I would change about it. The residential college system in particular is great - being in a community of about 500 students makes it easy to make friends, and it means you have at least two professors (your college's Master and Dean) who know your name as soon as you walk onto campus as a freshman. It makes Yale feel much less anonymous than it could otherwise. The other amazing thing about Yale is the other students. My classmates are brilliant, passionate, and interested in everything under the sun, but still manage to have fun and avoid taking themselves too seriously. To be surrounded by such intelligent people is a great experience.

Yalies are really diverse in terms of geography, interests, and religion/ethnicity. There isn't a ton of socioeconomic diversity, though, and everyone is similarly ambitious and hard working. We're also a very liberal campus, though there is a vocal conservative minority. Bear in mind that I'm speaking from the perspective of a white, middle-class student, but I'd say that students generally hang out in diverse groups and get along well.

You can find a group for pretty much anything, and if you can't, you can start one. (My friends and I founded the Yale Jazzercise Association our freshman year.) Theater, a capella, community service, and publications are big on campus. A fair number of students are involved in Greek life, but frats are a bigger deal than sororities, and most frat parties are open to all students. Other than extracurriculars, though, I'd say residential colleges are a huge aspect of social life on campus, since they determine whom you live with and whom you see most often.

Classes vary widely, in terms of quality, teaching style, size, etc. Apart from one or two classes that I found boring and poorly taught, the vast majority of the 20+ courses I've taken at Yale have been great. I'm an Anthropology major, and my favorite courses have been European Literature; Culture, Power, Oil; and Journalism. Apart from our majors, Yale students need to fulfill distribution requirements, which entail two classes each in foreign language, quantitative reasoning, writing, social sciences, humanities and arts, and science. Each course at Yale falls into at least one of those categories, so you always have choices about what to take to fulfill your requirements. So to fulfill my science requirement, for example, I took biological anthropology and an astrophysics course. Overall, while it's possible (at least outside the hard sciences) to get by taking only "gut" courses, most students try to challenge themselves and genuinely enjoy classes. After all, that's why we're here.

Most people probably think of Yalies as the nerdy kids who live for schoolwork and never leave their rooms. While we do take our classes seriously, we put in just as much time and energy - and passion - into our extracurriculars and social lives. We probably pull a few more all nighters than your average college student, but on any given night of the week we can also be found rehearsing for shows, writing articles for publications, going to the gym, blowing off work to hang out with friends, or out partying. "Busy" is probably the only word that could describe ALL Yale students.

analisse

Yale is amazing, at least for me it is. I love Yale because of many aspects and even the city of New Haven itself has become dear to my heart. The reason I initially chose Yale was because it is not a small school <2000 students and it is not a large school >10,000 students. For me at least, it was right in between with about 6,000 students. I wanted a campus where I would be able to see familiar faces as I walked down the block, but not know everyone as I walked down that same block, and that is exactly what I got. Moreover, Yale is in the city of New Haven, which, in my opinion, is an average-sized city. It has all the benefits and downsides to being in a city. Some of the benefits include: night clubs like toads, lots of amazing restaurants, a rich community to get involved in, and so much more. One of the major downsides is the crime, but generally if you have some common sense you'll be fine. Besides, Yale does a fantastic job of having tons of security and security escorts/cars if you need to get around at night. I, nor has anyone I have known in my time at school, ever felt unsafe here. More than anything though, Yale is a school of tradition. The traditions that students take part in here will stay with them forever. I wanted a school that had an amazing academic program, but also a fun social atmosphere as well, and I got the whole package in Yale.

The main stereotype about Yale students is that we are all preppy rich college students with large trust funds. This stereotype, although true in some cases, is not what the average Yale student is really like. Yalies come from completely different socioeconomic, ethnic, and just general life experience backgrounds. Having every single person you meet at Yale be completely different from the next is what makes Yale so great. Everyone here is an expert in some field from drama to chemistry, and it's amazing how much you are able to learn from your peers. Most Yalies are not students going through college in order to inherent their parents empire, Yalies are people that come from everywhere and every walk of life.

Bella

Yale has been a great fit for me. I love the variety of experiences available here that I wouldn't necessarily find anywhere else. There's diversity everywhere - from class sizes, to course topics, to teaching styles, to extracurriculars...even to the students themselves (ethnicity, religion, home country, out-of-the-box abilities). I absolutely love the chaotic harmony of different thoughts, opinions, and backgrounds. The campus is small enough where I will never feel lost in a sea of people, but big enough where I will always discover something new and make new friends. I spent most of my time running around on campus - from Science Hill laboratories, to our dozen coffee shops to meet with friends, to our English department seminar rooms. The change in scenery everywhere I go is wonderful - there are different types of people and thinkers in every niche on campus. To me, the biggest issues on campus have been the Title IX complaints (on sexual harassment) and campus security (New Haven is has often been labeled as one of the most violent cities in the US). Personally, I have been informed enough by administration, student groups, and the police department enough times when incidents have cropped up that I feel pretty safe. These issues shouldn't happen, but they do - and the best way to avoid getting hurt is to stay alert and think smart.

What are your classes like?

Most of the classes here are difficult because of the nature of the students who take them. If the class is an easy course, chances are that there are quite a few over-qualified students who are taking the credit to boost their GPA - which increases the competition. Higher level courses, which are usually restricted to upperclassmen and students who are specifically majoring in that department, are filled with hard-working, competitive students who are taking the class because they have to or because they absolutely love the material. Since Yale requires students to take classes in different subjects (according to their liberal arts education approach), most students will get equal experiences of getting good grades easily and having to struggle to go above the average.

A common trend among students is that we all have the drive to do something great - whether it be a future political leader or simply write the best essay ever. The best part about this motivational energy is that it pushes everyone to strive in their own niches. But the thing is, everyone here is just so different (I guess that's what admissions wanted?). Personally, I love the fact that I can walk into a dining hall and sit next to a stranger with a totally different life story and leave with a new friend. Because the atmosphere here is so academically competitive, students use extracurriculars to handle their stresses in proactive ways. As a result, Yale has a host of incredibly influential student groups, all comprised of leaders and resourceful minds. The student groups here have the power to actively participate in local elections, invite prominent guest speakers for Master's Teas (actors, politicians, writers, etc.) and even create non-profit organizations, among many other things.

Cultural Houses: I spend a lot of my time at the Asian-American Cultural Center, one of Yale's four (soon to be five) cultural houses on campus. The cultural groups here are great - you don't have to be of a certain racial background to participate in any events hosted by the student groups of each house. For example, I've listened to spoken word at the Af-Am (African-American) House and eaten tamales with my friends at La Casa (Latino House). The Game: The annual Yale vs. Harvard football game is probably one of the biggest traditions among the undergrads. It's the one event that brings absolutely everyone together in the biggest display of school pride, ever. The bands and half-time shows are great, and the atmosphere is absolutely fun and crazy in the best of ways. Stay Up Late: Doing homework (lab reports, finishing papers) and just talking to people. Our residential college system is a great way to explore other parts of campus and talk to different groups of people. Student groups and residential colleges also provide study breaks, where you can relax from work and mingle with other people over yummy snacks. Sometimes the best friendships are made when you walk into a common room and just sit down for a two-hour conversation with a then-stranger. The unique stories and experiences of every person on campus are incredible...you just have to take the time to sit down and talk.

Technically, the entire purpose of going to college is for the academics. That being said, the academics at Yale are what you make of it. Science majors are typically more difficult than humanities, but that's the usually trend in any school. However, there are just as many students who struggle in the sciences/spend hours in lab who can bust out an English essay in under an hour...they just choose classes that cater to their own abilities. Yale is quite good at upholding their "liberal arts education" approach to academics. Before declaring his/her major at the end of sophomore year, each undergraduate is required to take a variety of courses in different subjects. Thus, the difficulty of each class depends on the student's personal strengths and experiences. I've had a class with 14 students, and another with 200 students. However, in both classes, the professor knew my name. Office hours and class participation are stressed, and it's definitely an asset. If you choose to never speak with your professor, chances are he/she will never know you - but then you miss out on valuable classroom experiences that could influence your future studies and current course material understanding. The goal here is to learn for the sake of learning. There are many students who do not know what their future jobs will be, but trust that their dedication in their activities at Yale will open doors. Many students who do not necessarily consider jobs go to Teach for America after graduation, or apply for graduate school.

Status: Yale has been stereotyped to have a student population of "preppy, pretentious rich kids." This is absolutely not the case - though there are many affluent students who attend, there is an even greater number of students who are here because they were the hard-working leaders and creative thinkers of their high schools, regardless of financial status. However, the local stores do mostly cater to the prep-style of dress, as some of these stores are established university merchandise sellers. Identity: Out of the "Big Three" Ivy League universities, I've often heard Yale to be the "most liberal", as well as "most gay". With big events like "Sex Week" and an acapella life that is generally more popular than Greek life, this liberal label simply means that Yale allows its students to express themselves and explore their sexual identities in a safe environment. Though the gay pride at Yale is definitely strong, it is not made an issue to make others feel uncomfortable or question their own sexuality. Yale is a place of acceptance, where students can explore and share opinions on all walks of life. Though the system isn't perfect, it's definitely a wonderful place to grow in both knowledge and experience. Academics: There's this myth that only kids who get straight A's in high school get into Yale. Again, this is totally wrong. Though there are certainly a great number of bookworms and excellent test-takers here, there are also students who bring incredible talents to campus - like musicians who've performed in amazing venues, and leaders who helped create non-profit organizations. The true stereotype of Yalies (if there is one) is the same at any competitive college - "dedicated and motivated." Since each student brings their own amazing strengths to the population, every person is pushed to excel in his or her own field.

Josh

I really believe that Yale is the best college I could have gone to. Academically, it's incredible and students have access to great professors and extraordinary resources. In terms of housing, Yale's residential college system provides a family-like, community atmosphere from Day 1 on campus. Socially, Yale is great. People don't take themselves too seriously here and we have a lot of fun.

There are hundreds of student groups at Yale, from a capella to sports, politics to religious groups, cultural houses to frats and sororities. It's really hard to say what the most popular groups are, since there are a lot of varying interests at Yale. Socially, though, every weekend there are plenty of things to do--from suite parties to frat parties, dances to student shows and performances. Frats and sororities are not that big here--they're there if you want it, but I know I'm not in a frat and don't feel inhibited at all in terms of my social life. I'm involved in the Yale College Council [Yale's student government], Yale College Democrats, the Office of Sustainability, and various activities within my residential college, Davenport.

People always ask me if Yale is harder or easier than high school. Answer: it's different. At Yale, we take 4-5 classes on average per semester, which is much less than in high school. We're in class for less time than in high school. But the expectations are different. There is rarely attendance in class - you either go or you don't; the responsibility is yours. While Yale is challenging, I think that every students feels the ability to succeed. There are incredible resources to help each student succeed--from deans to peer advisers to faculty advisers, it's very unlikely you'll fall through the cracks here. Everyone here wants everyone else to succeed, and that provides a great academic environment.

Students at Yale are incredibly diverse and amazingly talented. For example, as a freshman, I lived in a 10-person suite. My roommate was from Shanghai, and we had students of many different races, religions, socioeconomic backgrounds, and interests. Some sing a capella, others are on varsity sport teams, others are involved in politics, others write for the newspaper, others play intramural sports intensely. Diversity is embraced at Yale; students love meeting other students from different backgrounds. It's a very welcoming, warm environment.

NO! Unlike some other similar schools, Yale students work together. There are never any cases of taking out all the books on a subject so your classmates can't. Students hear create study groups, call each other for help on problem sets, and read/edit each other's essays. The academic atmosphere here is very comfortable; it's not cutthroat at all.

Crisol

Crisol, you’re going to college, right? Check this out, here are a few pointers in addition to applying for colleges. First, make sure to get involved and ask questions in your high school’s career center. As well as providing information for future careers, the career center also offers scholarship opportunities, helps with college applications, internship opportunities and answers any other questions you may have. Second, I know you need the financial help and there are many different types of scholarships available to help pay for your tuition, books, supplies and living expenses. Next, always ask questions. Asking questions is an amazing way to gain knowledge of your surroundings, activities that are offered on campus and great way to network. Questions open doors to answers. And the faculty and staff who work on campus are happy to help a college student, if you’re kind and polite. Finally, believe in yourself. This is the most important advice I can give you because when you believe in yourself you surpass limits and overcome challenges far more better than you could imagine.

What I brag about the most is the school spirit and the cohesive group of students and professors at my school. I have had an amazing educational experience with my professors because they're always enthusiastic about their teachings. They come to class ready to excite us with the information they'll provide for the day. And the professors are always willing to help during their office hours. In addition, the students are friendly and enthusiastic about their studies and involved in campus activities where they are able to show their school spirit.

To whom it may concern, My city and school were not on the list, Colorado State University-Pueblo in Pueblo, Colorado. The worst thing about my school is the lack of flexible courses available to students. All my classes have to be taken during the day and are not available to be taken during the evening. This can be a challenge for most students because of family obligations, job schedules and extra curricular activities.

Leonard

I would tell myself to take advantage of all of the resources that the school has to give. Although it is important to keep up with others, I need to focus on myself and my well-being. Choose activities that you love to do--time is scarce so if you don't love the activity then there is no reason for you to be doing it.

Someone who is very passionate about something. Just being smart will not cut it. All of Yale students are extremely passionate about what they want to do and how they want to contribute to society.

My school is one of the most beautiful, challenging, and welcoming schools in the world. Yale has resources so that students can do anything that their heart desires.

Mary

My school is best known for a mainly North East environment. If you are not from the North East then you are an outsider. Everyone parties at the University of Tampa and usually every day of the week. Everyone comes from money.

I would give myself the advice of choosing the right major right away. I changed my major and I wish I would've started out with what I really wanted and would be succesful at because my first semester hurt my GPA which hurts me still today. I would also tell myself to apply for many scholarships in order to not be in massive debt.

A person that is able to handle school and partying and a person that doesn't have financial worries.

Yale University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.