New Haven, CT
Yale University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Yale University

Sejal

College is not a breeze. For the entire second half of high school, most students spend their time counting the days until "I can leave this miserable place!? Senioritis engulfs them. Daydreams about imminent independence distract them. And their focus falters, until it becomes too late. This story describes countless students every year who fail to realize that college is about stretching boundaries, growing potential, extirpating personal vice, and seeking challenge. I commenced college complacent: I was a national Presidential Scholar; I scored a 2400 on the SAT; I was accepted at Yale. I could not be more accomplished, or less worried about my future. But how fatuous I was! My grades suffered and my ambition collapsed. What I would recommend to any incoming college freshmen, therefore, is that they arrive with the robust understanding that they will have to continue to work to earn their admittance. They must discipline themselves to ignore the rich web of stimuli bombarding their impressionable minds. And they must learn to balance work with play, while continuing to play after every storm: brooding over past mistakes will only deepen malaise. Becoming aware of these ideas is the first step to a successful college experience!

Scott

If I were given the opportunity to go back in time and advise myself during my senior year, there is one word that would be repeated over and over: Relax. As understanding and simple as the college application and decision process has become since the dawn of The Internet, email, and websites like Commonapp and Fastweb, there is a certain level of stress that followed me as I was weighing my options, to a point becoming borderline unhealthy. This stress stemmed from a belief that my future's outcome and ultimate direction would be determined by where I spent the next two or four years of my life. Although I still acknowledge that the choices I make affect my future in a very real way, what I have also now chosen to acknowledge is that in the future, I will be just as able to make choices as I am presently able. Sure, every school is different and the "perfect" school might not be the one which I ended up choosing, but I would tell myself to take a moment and simply relax. Life will go on no matter what college I choose and that is a very good thing.

The absolute best thing about Yale is the immense amount of support and encouragement given to students from their peers, as well as their professors, coaches, deans, and other faculty. Yale can come across as a daunting place to begin with, which is why this type of environment is so crucial. As soon as I stepped on campus, I was surrounded with people who truly wanted to help me make the most of my life, and so far, that has been the best thing about Yale.

If there is one thing that all Yale students have in common, it would be energy. I say energy because for some, it comes across in an intense and focused way while in others, energy is felt through their calm and collected lifestyle. The energy a potential Yale student should have encompasses a sense of motivation, confidence, and interest. Without these traits and this kind of energy, the rigors of Yale will seem pointless and tedious, but with this energy, every challenge becomes a medium of joy.

Christina

I would advise myself to relax and not let it all go by too fast. I would try to convince myself that being accepted into social circles is not the most important aspect of being a freshman in college. I would tell myself that this knowledge that is heading my way will be of great importance to me in the not so distant future, and to make sure to cherish it and realize that it leads to my future. If I only knew what I know now then!

My classmates are an amazing, very driven, very diverse group of people from all walks of life who encourage each other to try new things and keep an open mind not just in the classroom, but in the world outside of it as well.

I would tell myself not to worry about what was to come. I worried constantly up until move-in day about how I would start all over in a new place, keep up my grades, and continue my favorite activites such as dancing. As it turns out, making new friends came easily, I did well thanks to the resources provided to me and the study skills I perfected in high school, and I was able to join a dance team. I was well prepared for the transition into college life, but extra advice could never hurt. As a senior, I would tell myself to stay focused and far away from the laziness more commonly known as senioritis. I would tell myself to make a habit of eating breakfast, getting a decent amount of sleep, exercising, going to the library, and getting to know my teachers. I would tell myself to get used to keeping a planner and actually using it so I know when to say no to any of the many things always happening on campus. Above all, I would tell myself to smile, and plan on having the best four years of my life.

The type of person who should attend this school is able to work hard and does not mind reaching out for help to make use of the many resources available to him or her. Yalies are a very genuine community of people who are always busy pursuing their passions and getting involved in the local area, so someone who is willing to step outside of the sheltered walls of the dorms would be perfect. Academics are important, but they are not the only thing that will define the person's time here if they make an effort.

Abiola

You've spent your whole life trying to get out of your comfort zone because you thought it would make you braver, stronger and ambitious. Now, you are faced with the decision to continue down that path or to change directions. My advice in your choice is this: don't be afraid to spend the next four years at a college that doesn't challenge you to try something you don't love. That just means you know what kind of a person you are and what kind of subjects interests you. And that knowledge of yourself is the first step to learning how to do what you love. And that is the point of college.

Someone who doesn't like tradition

Ryan

Shopping period is very unique. It allows is to try out classes before sugning up to take them for the semester.

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there are many things I would tell myself. I think the main thing I would say is to not take yourself too serious, as everyone you meet in the first few weeks of college is making the same transition as you are, and are as nervous as you are as well. Additionally, I would tell myself to beke sure to be invooved in as many different college activities as possible, in order to get a fuller college experience from the get-go. The overall lesson I would want myself to get would be to have fun, and to not be afraid to put myself out there and meet new people and try new things.

Paul

The academics and the architecture. The academics are some of the best in the world, with some of the most passionate and knowledgeable faculty members I have ever met. In addition to the staff, the courses are completely unique and the material is fascinating. Any person interested in any field of study can find more than enough classes to interest him or herself. The architecture ranges from Georgian to Victorian to Gothic and more, and each building has its own incredible history and features. Every student also has dozens of opportunities to work with and meet accomplished alumni.

Let?s not waste time- while in our prime- to give ourself advice. College is coming, our brain is humming and you must ready the dice! The dice for what, you?d like to know? The dice of life, of course! Used correctly (with chance and skill) you?ll have no remorse! Take a chance- roll the dice- no hesitating to try! Combined with thought and common sense few things will go awry. The years behind you were great- family and friends all around, but college is new- as is the place- in which you will soon be found. So many classes to choose from, professors and friends to meet, and ready or not, here it comes- a ton of work to complete! But these aren?t the only things heading your way; the city and campus are, too. Thousands of people, places to go, buildings both old and new! It may be hectic and frightful not knowing what?s to come, but remember yourself and who you are and the beat to your very own drum. College means you own schedule, college means tons of time. So face what you must and you can trust- college will be sublime!

The worst thing about Yale is its location- in New Haven, Connecticut. Connecticut is a beautiful state, as is the city of New Haven, but if anything were wrong with this school it would easily be the location. For most classes students must cross busy city streets, and the city is in a constant state of movement. While this is favored by some, most students would prefer a more secluded and quiet environment. New Haven is a wonderful place, but with the potential dangers of a city it is certainly not the ideal location for a college population.

Christina

Tina, I know it's intimidating. You're about to go to Yale University, where everybody is supposedly smarter than you and very capable of doing important things with their lives. But here's one thing you HAVE to keep in mind from the very start: DON'T COMPARE YOURSELF. Yes, they are all motivated, world-traveled, multi-instrumentalists who have huge accomplishments under their belts, but you need to focus on learning from and with them instead of focusing on your inadequacy. Here's a secret-- everyone tends to think they're inadequate here. But everyone's incredible. Including you. Also, be involved in many different activities, try them out. But DON'T fall in to the typical Yalie trap of overcommitting yourself and then complaining about it. Never feel bad about not being too busy. Value that free time in your schedule, treasure it. Use those hours to go to masters' teas, movie screenings, potluck dinners; don't give in to that pressure to be in charge of everything. Sleep a full eight hours a night, or stay up late with friends. Don't always stay up late with homework. This is a unique place. Live it up.

Anyone who wants to be surrounded by incredibly talented and motivated people. In other words, someone who is not insecure. Someone who wants to be a leader, who isn't afraid of trying new things, and who values diversity and education. Also, someone willing to work hard, and willing to put their creative energy to work.

Anybody who doesn't care, who doesn't really have goals or intend on having them in the near future. They would stick out like a sore thumb. Also, anyone who is generally intolerant of other ways of thinking or being will have a really rough time at Yale.

Casey

I would advise myself to not be so hard on myself during the somewhat difficult transition to college life. I would warn myself that I will meet (and be forced to live with) people with very different values than myself, and urge myself to take it in stride. I would tell myself to put myself out there and try to find my niche during the time in which everyone is looking to make new friends and simultaneously making the huge leap into the unknown. I would also tell myself to select my classes carefully, so that I still have time for extracurricular activities and hanging out with my new classmates and friends. I would also remind myself that Yale University is the goal toward which I had been working for years and that I was about to acheive everything I had ever hoped for. I would tell myself to take a step back and appreciate the satisfied feeling of fulfilling a dream.

Yale is one of the best schools in the country and has terrific professors and students. There is a variety of class sizes and you can always find a good fit.

While the professors are great, the staff that runs the dining halls and cleans the dorms, etc, are extremely lazy and do not care about their jobs. It is really frustrating.

Jourdan

The last years of high school are so laden with concern over standardized tests and GPA, it is easy to forget that the four that lie ahead should be the finest days of your life. They are the days you'll return to in your mind--pleased with the passions you voiced and the challenges you accepted. The only parlous cloud lurking in your sunny horizon is coming down with a case of Expectitis. Expectitis is a spectrum disorder which can result in a mere annoying rash or can, in its most extreme form, be fatal to a college experience. Expect great things from yourself, but not if those expectations are so unreasonable that they keep you locked in a library, away from the diversity of humankind and human thought that brought you to college. You are not your GPA. It is no coincidence that when Presidents and uber-succeeders are asked to recount their happiest moments, they focus on college days which preceded their "success." So, remain interesting, open and inquisitive. Do not hide in the carrels in search of only the holy "A." Let joy and discovery be your expectation during this, the greatest adventure of your life.

Almost everything about Yale is the "best thing" about the school. The arts are rich on campus, and for musicians it is a more varied and opportunity-laden environment than any of the greatest conservatories (and I can say this having attended Juilliard Pre-College). Perhaps the best thing about Yale for most students is the fact that one can be in a freshman course in almost any subject and have a nobel laureate as one's professor. Learning from minds of this magnitude, and having comfortable access to them for after class conversation is a gift.

Yale is the most superb institution of learning I can imagine. If I could change one thing, it would be the number of requirements. Regardless of how many 5s one receives on AP exams, one still must take not only pre-requisites in humanities, social science and science, but also a year of foreign language plus quantitative reasoning courses. This is all wonderful for a true liberal arts education, but makes it tough for those of us who are either double majors or for those with majors outside the science fields who are also on a pre-med track.

Yale University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.