Yale University

« See more reviews of Yale University

If you know right now that you definitely, absolutely want a job in a field other than science, finance or academics I would recommend you go someplace cheaper with a more proactive real-world-oriented approach to your chosen field. If you are a film major at Yale, you'll become great at writing about and tearing apart films, but you'll barely get your hands on a camera, and you won't get credit for working on film sets over the summer. Living in New York now and trying to work in Television, I can tell you that had I gone to Syracuse I would be much more competitive in the marketplace, and also I'd run into many more of my school's alums in job interviews and production meetings. Of course, none of this is true if your mom, dad or favorite uncle is already well established in the industry.

There are a couple small things that make life here very wonderful when I'm simply walking down the street. To begin with, I here foreign languages every day, just in conversation on the street. Some of them I can identify; others are more unusual. Also, the people of New Haven are vocal and interactive. They will encourage you if you're going for a run, chat with you in Rite Aid, and blast music from their cars. I feel a sense of familiarity in the Yalie conversations I overhear on the street. The expressions, mannerisms, tone, and even content of what I overhear is strangely often what I would myself express, or what my good friends express. This is weird in a place as diverse as Yale, but I guess it's just a sign that we've developed a culture.

I can't say enough wonderful things about Yale. It is a BEAUTIFUL campus. Even in the dead of winter, when the amazing Northeast colors have died out and before the blooms of spring, Yale is still gorgeous due to the architecture. Sterling Memorial Library is a house of worship- worship of learning. Both Sterling Memorial Library and Payne Whitney Gymnasium resemble cathedrals. The residential colleges are very beautiful inside and out - no hard concrete interiors and bunk-beds for Yale! Most rooms have hardwood floors and fireplaces. But the sense of community and Yale spirit that overflows every corner of campus is the true beauty of this university.

There are strong presence of peer pressure to retain the tradition of excellence for which the school and its students have always been known. Thus, there are absolutely no necessity for the school and the administration to launch any form of programs to encourage or push the students to excell in any other way. The self-motivation of each individual student and the students' deep and intrinsic sensitiveness toward the perspectives of others regarding themselves allows for an almost perpetual positive feedback cycle in which to be left behind is destined to be simply equated with failure and laziness.

I've never seen a place that boasts so many of the world's geniuses in realms ranging from the sciences to the arts. Going to class, you'll walk amongst published poets, renowned mathematicians, and acclaimed singers. Not to mention, they've have created foundations, charities, and community service programs that give back to the WORLD. The talents here are overwhelming, yet you'd never know. Everyone here is so humble. It only inspires you to contribute. Although talents are everywhere, they'll never be to the concentration that it is at Yale, especially with the amount of humility.

Rooming here is amazing. I'm a freshman and I have a single- and a ton of other freshmen can say the same. A lot depends on which residential college you're in (I'm lucky and happen to be in the best one, Jonathan Edwards), but overall rooming here is great. Also, they don't care if you violate the rules. I have a pet hedgehog in my room in a giant cage above my bed- I was here when the room inspector came and he didn't give it a second look.

The inner passion and love of life that all Yalies seem to have is unparallelled anywhere else. Everyone here is also so multifaceted and interesting that you never cease to be amazed. The girl you're meeting up with for drinks with a Bio and Art double major after her a cappella concert is strangely not exceptional.

If you are motivated and assertive and have a strong personality, Yale is a good place to go. It is not a good place to go if you're a wallflower, it is not a good place to go if you aren't willing to put yourself out there, and it is not a place to go if you're looking for a simple, fun, relaxing time in college.

Yale is unique in that it embodies the ideals and practices of a liberal arts education, including an emphasis on foreign languages and study abroad, while still offering first-class education and research opportunities/resources in the sciences.

The Residential College system makes the university much more comfortable. Yale is dividedd into 12 residential colleges, which are very close, I like sharing the dining hall with the same people.