Yale University

« See more reviews of Yale University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

There are two primary Yale stereotypes, depending on who the audience holding the bias is. The first is the Yale stereotype to people who didn't go to Ivy league schools, but who have heard of Yale. They think Yalies are stuck up, holier than thou, and are always looking for a way to make them feel stupider. Preemptively, they will go out of their way to make you look stupid first, and then point out that it sure was dumb of a YALIE to do something so boneheaded! The caveat of course is that this is probably true for kids who went to Harvard, Princeton, or any other Ivy league school in the country. The second Yale stereotype is the one held by students/alums from other Ivy league schools. To them, the Yalies are the mopey, artsy, emo Ivy leaguers, the ones who love movies without strong linear narratives, performance art and experimenting with homosexuality.

I think that the most obvious stereotype is that all Yale students are really smart. I also think that people view Yale students as the type that just study all the time and don't really go out and have fun. I think most people think of shows like Gilmore Girls and movies like The Skulls when they think about Yale.

Yale specifically, I think, has it the least bad, but in general I would say that Ivy kids are typecast as elitist preppy prep-school kids, who wear tweed jackets and vests, with money to burn. They can't hold their alcohol, they're maladjusted and they never, ever, swear ever. They'll all be President some day.

Some "stereotypes" I heard before coming here billed Yale as a four-year daycare for stupid children of the super wealthy and well-connected. Full of braindead legacies and hyper-competitive prep school graduates; soulless overachievers.

Yalies are stereotyped as pompous people who think they're better than everyone else. Popped -collar prep school graduates who got in because their fathers donated buildings or were famous.

Yale students are nerds. There is a split between academic culture and athletic culture. Yale students are pretentious. Yale students are obsessed with academics.

Yalies are known to be more easygoing and artistic than other Ivy League students, but still extremely intelligent, motivated, and passionate.

Some stereotypes are that Yale students are very smart, ambitious, and that some are pretentious or snobby.

A Yale student talks about some Yale stereotypes and his experience at the school.

I think the main stereotype about Yale as that we’re these elitist bluebloods.