Yale University

« See more reviews of Yale University

To make the most of what Yale has to offer--or even just to survive its running-on-all-engines atmosphere--you must be driven, highly intelligent, and ready to work really, really hard. You should be passionate about learning and about life. You should be excited to meet people from wildly different backgrounds, all with something interesting to share, and all above-average in some unique way. While everyone at Yale is very smart, and while some students are downright brilliant, it's not a school for "mere" braniacs. Talent and creative energy are musts!

The type of person who should attend this school is able to work hard and does not mind reaching out for help to make use of the many resources available to him or her. Yalies are a very genuine community of people who are always busy pursuing their passions and getting involved in the local area, so someone who is willing to step outside of the sheltered walls of the dorms would be perfect. Academics are important, but they are not the only thing that will define the person's time here if they make an effort.

If there is one thing that all Yale students have in common, it would be energy. I say energy because for some, it comes across in an intense and focused way while in others, energy is felt through their calm and collected lifestyle. The energy a potential Yale student should have encompasses a sense of motivation, confidence, and interest. Without these traits and this kind of energy, the rigors of Yale will seem pointless and tedious, but with this energy, every challenge becomes a medium of joy.

A confident person should come here. Someone who's very privileged and sure of himself (yes, it's easier for men I'd say). 'Loners' and people who are likely to be 'outsiders' based on racial, religious, socioeconomic background, or psychological conditions will have a more difficult time 'fitting in'. People who are too radical may also find it hard to be accepted among peers. A person who likes to party and drink and is laid back but intellectual enough will have a great time at Yale.

Curious people. Yale is a great place to explore academically, socially, extra-curricularly. It's a playground for your passions, whatever they are. So, if you're highly-focused on a professional career, or one particular talent, Yale will be a waste of your time and theirs. The people who get the most out of this school are active, engaged minds that crave challenge and variation. We're intellectual explorers not book-worms. If that's you, you'll do well here.

The kind of person who should attend this school is one with a backbone. You have to be ready to be stripped of everything and rebuilt into a Yalie. It is sometimes stressful, but I feel like it's worth it. Yale is the Ivy for the normal kids who just happen to be extremely smart. The school provides things a kid would want while grooming us to be extraordinary.

Someone who wants a very broad liberal arts education, wants to work very hard, and is not concerned with career goals at this stage in their education. Someone who has specific extracurricular interests, and/or wants to get involved in lots of different extracurricular activities. Someone who is independent and not afraid of taking risks.

Anyone who wants to be surrounded by incredibly talented and motivated people. In other words, someone who is not insecure. Someone who wants to be a leader, who isn't afraid of trying new things, and who values diversity and education. Also, someone willing to work hard, and willing to put their creative energy to work.

Someone who is very passionate about something. Just being smart will not cut it. All of Yale students are extremely passionate about what they want to do and how they want to contribute to society.

People who are willing to deal with the fact that they won't be the smartest person on campus anymore, but are okay with that in light of the incredible atmosphere and learning opportunities.