New York, NY
Yeshiva University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Yeshiva University

Noa

It's an overall great school. Serious academics, great teachers, nice size student body. The only thing I would warn applying students to be aware of is the requirement to take 3 Jewish classes per semester for the first six semesters (unless you went to seminary which will reduce the number​ of semesters required.) It definitely provides a great opportunity to learn Torah and there is a great variety of high-level classes, it just might be frustrating to someone who wants to focus primarily and efficiently on their major.

Oshrat

Yeshiva University is an absolutely wonderful place to be. The faculty is dedicated, educated, and respectful of the students. The Dean of Wurzweiler, where I am a student, is exceptionally kind and accomodating. The academics are taken seriously and I am being provided with an education that is worth the money.

Rebecca

The school is the type that if you are an unserious student before, you will be made to be serious with your studies at all cost. The Professors make sure that every student participate in class by asking and answering questions in the topics being taught. They know each of their students by name.

Dylan

i would say to not wait and hold off collage. you can do what ever you want to even if it's not in the field that you are expecting it to be in trust me you will love the field your about to go on to a journy that will be as wild as you can make it

mariya

As a high school senior, I put myself under a tremendous amount of pressure to focus solely on my academics. If I could go back in time and give myself advice, it would be to enjoy my life on a day to day basis and to have more fun. I was too busy focusing on my schoolwork instead of enjoying my youth. I focused on my academic transition to college, but not my social one. I should have learned how to balance both of these aspects in high school. The truth is, this advice still applies to me today and I should take advantage of it while I am still young!

Eliana

Yeshiva University is a small Jewish liberal arts college located in New York City. Its aim is to provide a strong Jewish and secular education by integrating Jewish and secular classes into one curriculum. While the college emphasizes the importance of academics it also offers an array of extra-curricular activities. Yeshiva University’s size, in terms of its student body and faculty, impacts positively and negatively upon many facets of the college. On the one hand, a smaller student body means smaller classes and teacher student ratio, allowing for students to generate a relationship with their professors, helping to advance their academic careers. On the other hand, however, the small student body may negatively impact a student who is not attending the college “plugged in” to a social group. This college is divided into cliques that makes it difficult for students to experience different types of people and further makes the college feel insular and disconnected. The relatively small college size further negatively impacts the college from offering a diverse array of courses. This could be frustrating to a student not yet clear on where they are going as it precludes a healthy sampling of different spheres of interest. Moreover, the student body’s size and the college’s Jewish curriculum does not allow for a diverse student body which prevents students from experiencing a full multicultural world. Yeshiva University is unique in that it is a liberal arts college that boasts of a dual curriculum. Students are required to complete a certain amount of Jewish and secular classes and requirement classes from a liberal arts perspective, graduating with an Associate in Jewish studies and Bachelors in the student’s major. Although this dual curriculum provides a broad and comprehensive education it is, at times, a source of irritation among students. In order to complete both the dual curriculum requirements and the, liberal arts general requirements many students take six to seven classes per semester creating a heavy workload and a grueling finals schedule. Although small in size, Yeshiva University does offer a wide range of extra-curricular activities. The university offers a variety of clubs and lectures in which students can choose to partake. Additionally, the school takes advantage of its prime location, New York City, by offering tickets to many cultural institutions, such as museums; concert halls and theaters in order to broaden the minds of its student body. Lastly, Yeshiva University’s location provides some pluses and minuses. The college is split into two campuses, a women’s campus in mid-town Manhattan and a men’s campus situated in Washington Heights in upper Manhattan. Living in a city setting is enjoyable and exciting as students can encounter many new, cultural events and expand their minds with different experiences. However, it also has it downsides. The women’s campus does not have a campus grounds. Rather, the streets of New York City connect the various school and dorm buildings It would be nice during the term to be able to lounge outside on campus grounds, but this is not an option at the women’s campus. Although the men’s campus does boast a more traditional campus it is still located in New York City and, as such, its campus grounds is not too impressive nor does it contain a nature setting.

Overall the academics at Yeshiva University are pretty average. Some of the classes are more intense and are thought provoking. However, most of the classes are average and do not require student's uttermost efforts.

Many of the students are a part of the different sports teams offered at Yeshiva University.

Many of the students here at Stern College come from a Jewish religious background. Therefore, there is not a diverse student population. Students who are not affiliated with Judaism would feel uncomfortable at Yeshiva University as part of its curriculum are Jewish studies. Many students dress up when they come to class which does cause a bit of pressure among the less fashionable students. Furthermore, there are many cliques among students which can be difficult if you do not know anyone as most students will not make an effort to get to know others outside their clique. Part of the student body is politically aware and are predominantly center.

I like YU, I didn't know much about the school before I came here, but you pick everything up quickly. The best thing about Stern is that everybody is genuinely nice. Whether it be a teacher, dean, or a student everyone on campus is very helpful. Stern is also in midtown Manhattan and has a lovely campus that is in walking distance to most of the city's subways and buses. YU also a shuttle between its buildings and the other campuses. Stern is very small and everyone knows everyone. This doesn't change based on if you went to Israel or not (I personally did not). The majors here all have great classes and if you can't find exactly what you're looking for then you can create a shaped major. You can also take classes at other schools like FIT. Having two cafeterias is one of the best things Stern has. I am a vegetarian and having a solely dairy caf is wonderful, I also hear the meat caf is great! All the staff at YU is wonderful and personable. Most administration will remember your name after meeting with you once. I don't think you could get things like that at different schools.

There are clubs on campus for pretty much whatever you can think of! And if it doesn't exist? You can create it. Everyone ends up having a friend or two on student council and they can answer all your questions about joining a club or creating one. The administration is always open to new clubs. There is a club for whatever nationality you are (French, Russian, Israel, Spanish..it goes on) or for whatever political association you decide to make (the people running them will also help you choose if you'd like to, you also don't have to have a political affiliation to join the political clubs). As for the dorms, they are cool. The RA's are always awesome! The main dorm is full of life and good times. I personally never keep my door locked and people come visit as they please. The RA's and housing administration are amazing people and make dorm living a great experience. I personally "pot lucked" my roommates my freshman year and they are now my best friends in the world. If roommate living isn't for you Stern also has single room dorming. All dorms except the single rooms have private bathrooms. As for sports (I personally don't play any) Stern and YU both have a ton of teams. Sports range from fencing to baseball to volleyball and basketball. From what I hear the teams are quite good. I've been to a basketball game and the crowd is loud and always cheering for their team. I've been to many different shabbatons on campus and they are always packed with fun and good times. The food is wonderful and the people are always friendly. They are generally student run so they know what you want in a shabbaton.

All of the classes are small, even the lectures. At least they are small to me, I came from a public school. Regular classes don't usually exceed 20 and lectures don't normally go over 30. All the teachers are personable and helpful. They are usually available after class or have office hours. I found over four years that every teacher knows my name and remembers it even if I only took one of their classes. If you are having trouble in a class the teacher is more than happy to help you. I am personally a History major so I know the teachers pretty well and I obviously have a few favorites and some I'd rather avoid. There is one teacher who teaches about the 1960's and she is amazing because she was actually there. I find her to be the most fascinating woman I have ever learned from. Nobody here complains about their major because the faculty is all great. I came into this school with a very limited background in Judaic Studies and they have a program here for that where your first year of Judaic classes are structured for you to help ease you into everything. The teachers for this program are all amazing and soon turn into family.

There is a stereotype of a Stern girl at Yeshiva. This is not necessarily a bad thing and it doesn't fit everyone in the school. Stern girls are, for the most part, the nicest and most helpful people I've ever met. I don't fit the stereotype because I didn't grow up religious. You can also spot a Stern girl anywhere...something about the skirt she's wearing will tell you. The general stereotype of a Stern girl is that they "grew up under a rock." This is mildly true...you can find out by person by talking to them and you'll know. This is not to say that it is true to everyone!

Yonatan

Yeshiva University is a place for Jewish individuals to go to in order to further their secular education while at the same time still maintaining adherence to studying Jewish law and other Judaic Studies topics such as Bible.

Attending college has been undoubtably the most valuable experience I have ever had. After high school, I left to study abroad for a year to discover who I was and what I wanted out of life. Upon returning, I attended Yeshiva University for 4 years, and graduated with well beyond the required 128 credits. I majored in Psychology, allowing me greater insight into the human mind, and allowing me understand why I do what I do. My studies have allowed my to advance my knowledge of Psychology, and I am currently in the process of applying to graduate programs where I hope to attain either a PhD or PsyD in Clinical Psychology and one day have a private practice where I can provide therapy for adolescents and children who need it. Without an undergraduate degree, I never would have been able to immerse myself in the world of Psychology research. I have worked since my undergraduate experience as a Research Assistant for over three years now, and am currently listed as an author on a research paper in preparation for submission to a Psychology journal.

The type of individual who likes to be engaged both Judaically and Secularly and who wants to attend an all-boys college.

My college experience is better than I ever expected it to be. Yeshiva University provides the perfect balance of everything. Academically it is very challenging but they always provide activities to alleviate the stress level through out the semester, especially during crunch time. The student life is always happening and they constantly ask for feedback of ways to improve. Professors are very approachable and they have the best interest of each of their students. The social life is amazing and emails are sent out all the time informing the students of the events taking place and providing ways for students to get involved in the school. They provide shuttle services until all hours of the night and the security is 24 hours a day. Each day I realize that I made the right choice by attending Yeshiva University and I could not have asked for a better college experience.

The worst thing about the school would be that there is a lot of work and alot of activities that are offered and it is sometimes tricky to balance the two as well the competitiveness in the classes is very high.

IT IS AMAZING!! The professors are so amazing, always available and around to speak to, yet they are very fair and never give special treatment to a student. They are there beyond office hours always willing to talk and reexplain what they said in the lecture. They are down to earth and have the perfect balance of authority and friendship/friendliness.

Daniel

Anyone. Outgoing, shy, there are kids of all shapes and sizes here. Their are really nice kind kids that go here, they can connect with any kind of person. Mostly, someone who wants to stay connected with life's purpose, while creating a prosporous one for himself.

"Time is precious, so grab it. Make a list of what you want in life." I felt 22 was an eternity away when I was 18. I would tell myself to "use time, not waste it." When I think of all the time I wasted on TV and my computer. It's ridiculous. I felt there was always extra time to finish my work. I can't believe how many events and get togethers I missed because I didn't take care of my work that I had countless opportunities to finish. Instead of making new friends, going out, I was cramming. I would say, "Daniel do your work first, make set times for it, truly prioritize, and then have fun." I would say "go out, see the unknown, the adventure, look at it, hang out with it." I held tight onto my comfortable bubble, now I've become used to it. Now I have to get a job and start my life. Playtime is over. I would tell myself " you are constrained by nothing, go out of your bubble to anywhere, you can do it. You only go to college once, use it fully, or forever wonder what if. "

Honestly it's the food. They really don't give us enough for growing adults. Furthermore, it's not the most healthiest selection either. If there are people who want to stay healthy, I might need to shop somewhere else. They also don't have alot of variety and some of the food is extremely weird. Someone must've been drinking or smoking a lot when they came up with the menu.

Yeshiva University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.