Youngstown State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Youngstown State University

Duyen

Youngstown State University had a great Math department with so many great professors. I’m totally in love with math department at YSU

Meg

YSU is a horrible place! The professors don't care. It's not very safe.

Dwayne

Cool

Maranda

Youngstown State University is a very well developed and well taken care of campus. I've noticed that many people don't give it the credit it deserves due to it's location in the city of Youngstown. Overall, the campus living is great, as well as the food , resources, and most importantly, the education.

Kelly

Youngstown State University is an incredible school as far as I'm concerned. Like any other college or university, it isn't perfect, but a lot of things about are great! There are a lot of dining option on campus including restaurants and the dining hall. YSU even has contracts with off campus locations that are included in the meal plan as well so you aren't paying a whole lote extra for some variety. The dorms are nice and more spacious than any of the universities I visited before enrolling here. Not only that, but I have met some of the best and kindest people here! We come from a wide variety of majors and minors, including the STEM, Arts, Social Sciences, and Business colleges, and the cultural and religious diversity here is incredible! The professors care about the success of their students here, and are willing to bring opportunities to you individually if they think you are a good fit for something. They are willing to meet outside of office hours to help you learn and study material that will be important, too. I think that even a semester on YSU's campus would prove it to anyone looking for an excellent place to get an excellent education.

Briana

Youngstown State is a great school for a great price. There are plenty of undergrad opportunities that you don't find at other big schools. Plus "No" is not a common answer, its more like " how can we do that?" Then the faculty and teacher help you accomplish whatever it is you want to do.

The overall atmosphere at Youngstown is pretty amazing. There are tons of clubs and extracurricular activities for the students to partake in. If there is a club that does not exist, the students have the ability to make it happen. The teachers are generally very passionate about what they do. The food at the dinning halls are not the best, but there are plenty of other options to help make up for it. The students are very diverse, which makes it easy to meet people with different interests and cultures.

Jakob

YSU is a place for students by students. No matter where you go, you can always find help with classes and subjects. Students always volunteer their own time to tutor others. Some teachers are students who graduated recently from YSU which shows that YSU has a great turn-around rate for employment opportunities.

Brea

I love my school. Not everything is perfect, but I don't expect perfection. My professors are great and always willing to help you if/when you need it. Youngstown provides plenty of academic help like Supplemental instruction and tutoring for more help outside of class. I really like how they make sure we get the grades we work for.

Sahana

Your time at YSU is really what you make of it. Students that get involved and make the most of the campus, from the free shows to walks through the art museum, tend to have a better time. My biggest qualm is that it is a commuter school. As an out-of-state student, I don't have the ability to go home on weekends, but many of my friends leave on the weekends, making the campus seem deserted.

Alanis

I love YSU. There are endless opportunities for you to get involved with and so many good people to help you along the way. We have fun events all the time, like Penguin Nights, where everything is themed! We had a Grease theme once and it was spectacular! I love my professors and I think they love me too. College is hard, but YSU makes it worthwhile.

I really like Youngstown State University so far! I've taken part in a lot of events and activities over the years, and the campus is beautiful. The classrooms are nice and my professors have been great so far. I look forward to spending the next three years here!

Briana

Youngstown state is the land of opportunities you just have to take them. Undergrads are very much involved in research for the sciences. The arts are truly fabulous here. And everyone is willing to help one another succeed. Plus anything that helps students succeed is free!

Brianna

YSU is an amazing place to go to college. The faculty, staff, and students are all very friendly and truly want you to succeed. They are pretty good at communication and they strongly encourage students and staff to be involved in the college community. It truly is a family and I am very happy to go here!

I am a Junior at Youngstown State University. I have so far enjoyed being a student here. I do think that YSU needs to update some of the classrooms and the buildings. Some are quite old and I have seen desks and even some door knobs that are broken. I also would like to see YSU hiring advisors for each department. Right now, some of the departments have their professors advising the students, which is good and bad. They know the courses in which they teach, but do not always have the understanding of courses outside of their teaching. Also, the professors and busy and may not be able to fully go through each option with the student being advised. This can make it quite hard when thinking about applying to graduate schools and trying to add in courses to complete prerequisites for another college/university. Overall, I love being a student here and will continue to until I graduate and go to graduate school.

Mikala

I enjoy the students and teachers at Youngstown State Univeristy. Everyone has a purpose for going to school there. There are some very active members at Youngstown State University whether it is a traditional student or non traditional. Over all I enjoy my experience there.

Dwayne

you guys rock

Shilpa

YSU isn't a big place but has many opportunities for ones who wish to grasp it. It's affordable and surprisingly diversified. International Program Office is putting a lot of effort in assisting international students, and I hope to make a lot out of it!

Asia

YSU is such an amazing opportunity for students. It is a nice sized campus, located in downtown Youngstown, Ohio. This one of the most affordable colleges in the area. Campus has many benefits, it's very safe and has so many services. Overall YSU is a great, affordable college.

William

I really enjoy it here, but some improvements could be made. The classes are fitting for my major and I have found most of the professors to be knowledgeable and helpful. There's always something to do, but some parts of campus could use some work, such as the sidewalk on the far side of campus and other minor things of that nature.

Wyatt

Youngstown State University is a great school that, though not far away (at least fro me personally) feels like its own world. I lived on campus my first year and am moving back home for my second year. Whether you live on campus or not, it is easy to feel at home right away at YSU. Whether you're an tech-junkie, musician, (I'm both), or an athlete, there's a place for you here. There are countless opportunities for one to get involved both academically and artificially/musically. The class size is very beneficial for learning the information and the professors are very kind and approachable.

Tylar

I like how many people come to you to help you find your way around campus. I like the dorms they have a lot and there's a lot of people who can share a dorm with you. I like they have a lot of classes offered and they help make sure you have a job before you graduate. I like that they have a lot of food places and there in a safe neighborhood. Plus there the only college close to where I live that has Italian.

I Love it here. The teachers are always available and understanding. I commute to and from Youngstown on a daily basses. The roads are not good but its up to the community to fix that not the school. There is also a really good student services. We stick together and help thous that need it.

Christina

Youngstown State University has its good and its bad sides. It has a very nice and quaint campus. That was my main attraction to this university. Its not too big but not too small. Most people are nice. YSU is a very safe campus because you see police everywhere.

Neil

Youngstown state university is an amazing affordable School. This town was built on so much diversity and culture of the hardworking people of Youngstown. I encourage anyone interested to come down and see what life is like on campus, because it is really something special.

Haley

It is a smaller campus, which makes it easy to get around. There is a large selection of classes that you can choose from. There are also many majors offered. The food and recreation center are the best parts of Youngstown State University. Overall, it's a great university.

Hailee

YSU has a decent campus with many intellectually stimulating professors. The evening, weekend, and online classes are very easy, but not much is academic insight is gained. Students are a mix of traditional and non-traditional students with many commuters.

I've been enrolled for three semesters and it's been an okay experience. The teachers I've had have been nice for the most part, but last semester my Writing 2 instructor had a pretty bad attitude when I asked questions or didn't understand something, and she cancelled class often. It was frustrating in that aspect, plus there is always some type of construction going on so it's annoying to get to the parking deck. On the bright side the campus always has food close and they have numerous student jobs to apply for. There is a really amazing Graphic Design classroom and they have a really great gym on campus too.

kelsey

I really enjoy it here I am glad I came. Here at YSU they have great programs and people are really involved in things, it is a very active community. the education program is great you get so much experience​ here then you would get at any other school.

julie

Youngstown state is an adorable school and a great reputation. Campus is small but is newly rebuilt

I like Youngstown State University. It's not what people say it is. It's a really good school. Most class sizes are not too big, so often you get to know your professor. Many professors make the effort to remember their students. Most are open to having office hours and open to helping you outside of class. There are plenty of ways to get involved in the student life. It's not very difficult to get around campus. Lastly, it is affordable. I am not putting myself in thousands and thousands of dollars in debt like I would have if I went to "bigger" schools around here.

Noah

Although YSU was not my first choice. I've grown to like the campus very much. I enjoy seeing a lot of my high school friends and there is always something to do or get involved with. The staff and professors are always very polite and helpful. Everything is easily accessible.

Khem-Sha

Youngstown State University is the only college I’ve visited that made me feel at home right away. From its friendly advisors to its wide selection of clubs and organizations, YSU is only college I know who truly puts their students first and make us feel as safe and secure as possible. And these are just words from an incoming freshmen.

madison

My overall opinion of Youngstown State University is that it is a well put together college. There are many things close by that make it helpful for students that are living on campus, and i think that is important. For example, there are many different options for food. in addition, there are many places that you can go shopping at if needed. another good thing about ysu's campus is that they stress the point that students should feel safe on campus. ysu makes the students aware of who they can talk to if they need to speak up. youngstown state also does "penguin alert." Penguin alert sends text messages and emails to students if something important needs to be distributed among the students. Personally, i enjoy the fact that campus is close to home for me. I enjoy being able to commute. These are only a few of the many reasons that I like about youngstown state university.

My Youngstown state university experance has been great, my professor are helpful with assignments, my academic advisor helps me make semester schedule, & the campus landscape is beautiful. they have a lot of resources on campus like the center for student progress, the writing centre, and the maag library. The campus has great fast food places like wendys, hot heads, & inner circle to eat at for lunch.

Carter

Its a wonderful university and the college is very for their students. The staff and students were very friendly when I visited and made me feel welcomed and apart of the university.

Neil

I fell in love with this university. I was impressed with the tour. The head of the Criminal Justice program sat down with me and went over the program and showed me around that department. The people on this campus made me feel right at home. I cannot wait to attend this university.

Carrigan

I believe Youngstown State University is a great college. The academics that they provided are very impressive for the size and tuition amount. I am excited to being my freshman year here in 2018, and am looking forward to all the possibilities Youngstown State University has to offer.

Youngstown State University is a very exciting school to attend. There is so much to do there you will be overwhelmed, but in a good way!

Chelsey

I believe that Youngstown State University is a phenomenal place to call home! I am beyond proud to be a penguin! We have Chick Fil A on campus so what more could you want! The staff is always so friendly and the library we have on campus is extraordinary. The Art museums are beautiful.

Paige

I was not impressed with this school. I spent my entire Freshman year in misery. If you didn't find your niche in your major, you had no friends. It was awful! I am transferring out. This school is not worth it if you want the full college experience.

Lawrence

My opinion of Youngstown State University is that it's simply amazing. Everyone is polite, energetic, and unique. A lot of students are involved in various events, there are clubs for just about anything and everything, and everyone at YSU is proud to be there.

Josette

I enjoy my college a lot. There is so much diversity between everyone, and there is a great mix of cultures so everyone can learn from others. Everyone voices their opinions respectfully and discrimination is never used. The atmosphere is great and all of the services provided with our tuition are incredibly helpful and is also something that is very rarely seen in other colleges.

Austin

Youngstown State University is an excellent school with wonderful hospitality. From my first meeting at Experience Y Day, the President greeted our groups and spoke of the safety, academic quality, and numerous involvement opportunities. Youngstown State University is a medium-sized college that lets you define who are by offering leadership and student organizations while balancing challenging and thought-provoking courses to become professionals in the world.

Matthew

When I was first accepted to the school, I had no idea what to expect, and I was beyond terrified, especially being an out-of-state student. But when I first got to the school, my fears immediately left, and I felt like I belonged there on day one of me even being there. The professors really help alleviate whatever stress any student might have, and they show that they are devoted to helping their students succeed, no matter the cost. Some professors are not the greatest, but that's normal since nobody is perfect, but they are still great people. The campus itself is a beautiful place, situated right in the downtown area of the city, and all the students I have met are really devoted to their respective fields of study, and not there just to be there. Overall, a fantastic place.

Jersee

My overall opinion is that YSU is a great, affordable college. YSU is focused on academics and there are plenty of extracurricular activities to partake in. Tuition is reasonable and there are multiple scholarship opportunities that are offered. All of the professors I've had are approachable and care about your education.

Stephen

I believe it is a good college to attend, but I don't feel like part of a community here, I don't think they have a broad enough system, as my major is not there. I feel like it's a place where people go who either do not feel like they can go to a college they want, or that older people attend when they have a family. It is reasonably priced, especially living in the state.

Overall it is a decent school and better than a lot of the other schools in the area. Unfortunately the location is not the best, as there is a high crime rate. The campus is a decent size and the people are nice. The staff is extremely helpful with issues, answering very fast and giving good explanations and solutions,

Anthony

I love the people there, they are so nice and sweet. They always want to help you and make sure you are okay. I love the sports teams and the fans they are so alive. The food here is great I love it. I dont think I can ever get sick of it. It feel like home. I really cant want to go there next year for college.

Niki

At first I was a little shaky about staying so close to home, but now I actually enjoy it. The professors are kind and it is really easy to make friends considering most of them I already knew. Classes are always good and professors are usually relatable as well.