Get in the Game With Scholarships!
NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUEPittsburg Penguins – Since 1992, The Penguins have awarded over $100,000 in scholarships to deserving high school seniors. Their programs include:
- Inner-City Scholarship: A total of three $1,500 scholarships
- Bob Johnson Memorial Scholarship: One $5,000 scholarship
- Penguins Alumni Association Scholarship: One $2,000 scholarship
- Larry Ashley Memorial Scholarship Program: One $2,500 scholarship
- Trevor Linden Community Spirit Scholarship: Four $2,500 scholarships
- Stan Smyl Scholarship Award: One $3,000 scholarship
- Dennis Kearns Scholarship Award: One $750 scholarship
- Orland Kurtenbach Scholarship Award: One $750 scholarship
- Pat Quinn Scholarship Award: One $750 scholarship
MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALLIn 2007, Major League Baseball Charities, Inc. established the "RBI (Runs Batted In) for RBI (Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities) Scholarship Fund to help provide financial assistance to students participating in the RBI (inner-city) program. As many as 12 scholarships, each valued up to $5,000 (depending on tuition and fees) are available annually. Applicants must be high school seniors or recent graduates, with a grade point average of 2.5 or higher, and must demonstrate leadership abilities through community activities. Minnesota Twins – The Diamond and Dreams Scholarship Program is managed by the Minnesota Twins Community Fund and provides support to the Upper Midwest states and Southwest Florida youth. Up to twenty $2,000 scholarships are awarded annually. To be considered for the program, students must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a U.S. resident, living in one of the following states: Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, or southwest Florida
- Must be a high school senior
- Must have a grade point average of 2.5 or higher
- Must play or volunteer with an organized youth baseball/softball organization
NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATIONMiami Heat – For the past 17 years, the Miami Heat has helped high school seniors in Miami-Dade, Broward or Palm Beach schools by providing the following college scholarships:
- HEAT Scholarship: Two $2,500.00 scholarships
- Dr. Jack Ramsay Scholarship: One $2,500.00 scholarship
- Alec Kessler Student-Athlete Scholarship: One $2,500.00 scholarship
NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUEBaltimore Ravens – Each year, the Ravens award five renewable $5,000 scholarships to area seniors who attend high school in Baltimore City, Baltimore County, or Carroll County. Students are awarded the scholarships based on academic merit and financial need. Carolina Panthers – The Panthers provide two separate scholarship programs for area students.
- Carolina Panthers Scholarship: Two $10,000 scholarships (one male/one female) for student-athletes (North Carolina and South Carolina) who are seeking support for graduate level studies.
- Carolina Panthers Players Sam Mills Memorial Scholarship: Two $5,100 scholarships (one male/one female) for outstanding high school senior student-athletes who reside in either Mecklenburg County, North Carolina or Spartanburg County, South Carolina.