Alabama GI Dependents' Educational Benefit Program

Application Information

Already signed up? Log in

Amount Awarded


Awarded By

Alabama State Department of Veterans Affairs

Award Amount

Recipients are entitled with up to five standard academic years or part-time equivalent at any Alabama state-supported institution of higher learning or a prescribed course of study at any Alabama state-supported technical school without payment of any tuition, required textbooks or instructional fees. A spouse or un-remarried widow (er) of a veteran who is rated 20 - 90% due to service-connected disabilities are only entitled to three standard academic years without payment of tuition, required textbooks and instructional fees or a prescribed technical course not to exceed 18 months of training.


All eligible students will be considered.

Additional Information

Military Service: The veteran must have honorably served at least 90 days of continuous active federal military service during wartime, or honorably discharged by reason of service-connected disability after serving less than 90 days of continuous active federal military service during wartime. The ADVA will recognize the following periods of wartime service: April 6, 1917 - November 11, 1918 (World War I); December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946 (World War II); June 27, 1950 - January 31, 1955 (Korean War); February 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War); August 2, 1990 - Today (Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Iraqi Freedom/Enduring Freedom-Afghanistan) Disability Requirements: The veteran must be rated 20% or more due to service-connected disabilities or have held the qualifying rating at the time of death, a former prisoner of war (POW), declared missing in action (MIA), died as the result of a service-connected disability, or died while on active military service in the line of duty. Residency Requirements: The veteran must have been a permanent civilian resident of the State of Alabama for at least one year immediately prior to (a) the initial entry into active military service or (b) any subsequent period of military service in which a break (1 year or more) in service occurred and the Alabama civilian residency was established. Permanently service-connected veterans rated at 100% who did not enter service from Alabama, may qualify after establishing at least five years of permanent residency in Alabama prior to filing of an application or immediately prior to death, if deceased.

Deadline Info

Applications are available from any Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs Office. The Alabama Department of Veterans’ Affairs maintains an office in each county of our state. These offices are locate ... sign up for full scholarship deadline information.

Save time. Fill out your Scholarship Match profile to get personalized scholarship results.

Give me my personalized results