Are there Esports Scholarships for Gamers?
If your team sport is video games, you may qualify for an esports scholarship. Esports scholarships are merit-based awards for people who play electronic sports. Like other sports, esports players compete with other teams. While on a virtual playing field, they have coaches, teammates and spectators.
This takes a high level of skill that many varsity programs seek. Above all since the global esports market raked in 1.1 billion in 2020 according to research by Newzoo. As a result, many colleges award scholarships to field esports teams. These tend to be for gamers who excel in specific games.
Different Types of Esports Games
According to Next College Student Athlete (NCSA), there are gaming scholarships for a wide range of popular titles.
- Multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA): League of Legends (LoL), Defense of the Ancients (DOTA) 2, Heroes of the Storm, Smite
- First person shooter: Overwatch, Fortnite, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO), PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG), Paladins
- Collectible card game: Hearthstone
- Real-time strategy: StarCraft II
- Sports games: Rocket League, FIFA, Madden
- Fighting games: Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat
How to Get an Esports Scholarship?
To score an esports scholarship you may need to meet two sets of criteria. The first criteria is gaming and the second is academic.
About talent, the first thing to do is to wow college esports coaches and recruiters. Many gamers do this by creating an esports highlight video with clips from their best game. They may also need to “try out” for a team.
There are also academic standards to meet. These vary by college and tend to may mean having certain SAT/ACT scores and a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
Why Consider Applying for a Scholarship?
An esports scholarship may be useful if your goal is to pursue a four year degree. Many awards are partial and pay from $500 to $8,000 per year. But others are more generous and offer a full tuition or full ride scholarship.
A full ride scholarship may be worth $17,237 at a public college. That’s the total cost of tuition, fees, room and board according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Once you graduate, there are many possible paths to pursue. Esports marketing managers tend to need a bachelor’s degree, so this may be a potential career path.
List of Esports Scholarships
Check out our list of esports scholarships below.
- Athletic Scholarships
- College-Specific Scholarships
- Company-Sponsored Scholarships
- Grants for College
- Merit-Based Scholarships
- Military Scholarships
- Minority Scholarships
- Our Scholarships
- Religious Scholarships
- Scholarship Contests & Sweepstakes
- Scholarships by Major
- Scholarships by State
- Scholarships by Type
- Scholarships for Graduate Students
- Scholarships for High School Students
- Scholarships for Undergraduate Students
- Weird Scholarships
- $1,500 - I Have a Dream Scholarship
- $10,000 - Unigo $10K Scholarship
- $1,500 - Sweet and Simple Scholarship
- $2,500 - Superpower Scholarship
- $3,000 - All About Education Scholarship
- $1,500 - Fifth Month Scholarship
- $1,500 - Do-Over Scholarship
- $1,500 - Flavor of the Month Scholarship
- $1,500 - Make Me Laugh Scholarship
- $1,500 - Shout It Out Scholarship
- $2,000 - Zombie Apocalypse Scholarship
- $5,000 - Education Matters Scholarship
- $1,500 - Top Ten List Scholarship