Can International Students Get Scholarships?
Many non-U.S. citizens and U.S. nationals may be eligible to receive federal aid. For instance, if you hold a green card, yes you can fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may also be an eligible non-citizen if you:
- Have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94)
- Hold a T-nonimmigrant status
- Are a “battered immigrant qualified alien”
- Are a citizen of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Republic of Palau
It is a good idea to check with your college or career school’s financial aid office though. Most states and colleges rely on the FAFSA to determine whether you are eligible for aid. But each may have their own rules and processes.
Can non-citizens get financial aid for college?
If you don’t meet any of the above criteria, there may be some scholarships and other aid you can get. To figure this out you might:
- Check with your country’s embassy or with a consulate here in the U.S.
- Look for a government office in your country that may offer aid
- Ask the college or career school you plan to attend whether they offer scholarships for international students
To start your search, here are some upcoming scholarships for international students. Find out how to apply!
- Athletic Scholarships
- College-Specific Scholarships
- Company-Sponsored Scholarships
- Grants for College
- Merit-Based Scholarships
- Minority Scholarships
- Our Scholarships
- Scholarship Contests & Sweepstakes
- Scholarships by Major
- Scholarships by State
- Scholarships by Type
- Scholarships for Graduate Students
- Scholarships for High School Students
- Scholarships for Undergraduate Students
- Weird Scholarships
- $1,500 - I Have a Dream Scholarship
- $10,000 - Unigo $10K Scholarship
- $1,500 - Sweet and Simple Scholarship
- $2,500 - Superpower Scholarship
- $3,000 - All About Education Scholarship
- $1,500 - Fifth Month Scholarship
- $1,500 - Do-Over Scholarship
- $1,500 - Flavor of the Month Scholarship
- $1,500 - Make Me Laugh Scholarship
- $1,500 - Shout It Out Scholarship
- $2,000 - Zombie Apocalypse Scholarship
- $5,000 - Education Matters Scholarship
- $1,500 - Top Ten List Scholarship