Grants for College

Millions of scholarships, personalized results. Sign up and get matched to scholarships that are perfect for you. Start Your Search

What are Grants for College?

College grants are a kind of financial aid that you don't need to pay back. You might use a grant to pay for tuition, books, housing and other school expenses.

Like a scholarship, grants for college are free money that you can use to fund your education. Unlike student loans which you have to reimburse, you only pay back a grant under a few conditions. For instance, if you withdraw early from a program or change your enrollment status.

What are the differences between grants and scholarships?

Both scholarships and grants are forms of gift aid. This means, it is money you can use for college that you do not need to earn or repay. Either a grant or a scholarship may help you answer the question “how can I pay for college without going into debt?” But the terms are not interchangeable.

Grants are usually awarded based on student financial needs. Popular grants that college students apply for are available through:

  • Federal government
  • State/local governments
  • Colleges, universities, career schools

Scholarships are usually awarded based on student merit. Things like academic, athletic or artistic talents. Many scholarships are available through:

  • Private or community foundations
  • Philanthropists
  • Unions
  • Non-profit and for-profit corporations.

Who Can Get Grants for College?

The number of students attending 4-year colleges and receiving aid is on the rise.

At last count, the federal government awarded $30 billion dollars in need-based grants. Recent figures show that 63.3% of college undergraduates receive grants. The average amount of grant money received by a college student is $7,400.

Eligibility to receive a grant for college tuition varies. But to qualify for federal student aid one needs to meet a few basic requirements. These are:

  • Show financial need
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau)
  • Be registered with Selective Service
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress in college or career school
  • Sign the FAFSA, committing to the terms
  • Show you are qualified to obtain a college or career school education (E.g. show your GED or high school diploma)

Types of College Grants for Students

Grants for college are more often need-based but some are merit-based too. These grants may have a performance indicator. This might mean you need to maintain your GPA at certain level.

Merit-based grants often factor in an applicant’s grades, commitment to community service and leadership. Instead of your family income. Receiving one might add some prestige to your college transcripts. Your home state may have a variety of grants like this.

Federal grants that pay for college

The U.S. Department of Education (ED) offers a range of federal grants. These need-based grant programs provide free college money. They are usually for students attending four-year colleges or universities, community colleges, and career schools. The amount of money each person receives may depend on:

  • Your financial need (EFC)
  • Cost of attending the college of your choice
  • Enrollment status (full- or part-time)
  • Length of Enrollment (full- or partial-year)

The EFC is your Expected Family Contribution. In other words, what you can afford to pay for college. State grants may boost your college fund too. This can help if your EFC is low, and your federal financial aid doesn’t cover your tuition.

To come to a number, an EFC asks for several things. Your family's taxed and untaxed income, assets, and benefits. Benefits include unemployment or Social Security. It might also factor in in the size of your family and if more than one person will be attending college in the same year.

The four main types of federal grants that provide funds for college are:

  1. Federal Pell Grant. A grant usually awarded to undergraduate students so have not yet earned a degree
  2. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). A grant some schools take part in that assist low income undergraduate students
  3. Teach Grant. A grant that helps pay for college if you plan to become a teacher in a high-need or low-income area
  4. Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants. A grant for children of a parent/guardian who died in service in Iraq or Afghanistan

How do I apply for free grants to pay for college?

When looking for federal grants to pay for college, there are some steps to take:

  1. Fill out the FAFSA. Both federal and state governments give out college grants. To find out if you qualify and to become eligible, you need to fill out a standard form. This form is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The results allow colleges to figure out how much financial aid you qualify for. When filling it out, you’ll need your family’s tax returns, so plan ahead.
  2. Submit the FAFSA on time. One needs to file the FAFSA on or ahead of the June 30 deadline. But many states and colleges have earlier deadlines for financial aid. You can find your state’s deadline on the Federal Student Aid website. Check with your college to take note of theirs too. To remain eligible, every year you attend school, you’ll need to fill out a FAFSA, so mark your calendar.
  3. Wait for your financial aid letter. After you fill out your FAFSA and submit it on time, you wait for a financial aid award letter. These come from the colleges that accepted you. This award letter will tell you if you are eligible for any college grants or other financial aid. Like scholarships, work-study, and federal student loans. You may accept all the aid offered to you but do not have to. In fact, it is a good idea to understand what the terms are so there are no surprises.

What other grants can I apply for?

Some organizations and corporations also sponsor grants. These grants often reward students who excel in high school and plan to study in a specific field. They may line up with colleges that have these programs. Or, allow a student to use the money at the college of their choice. Free college grant money may be available if you fall into one or more of the following categories too:

  • Women. One example is the Career Development Grant. It is available through the American Association of University Women Educational Foundation (AAAUW)
  • Minority groups. One example is the Wisconsin Minority Undergraduate Retention Grant. It is available through the State of Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board
  • Foster care youth. One example is the VA Tuition Grant for Foster Care Children. It is available through the State Council for Higher Education for Virginia
  • State Grants that Pay for College

    The Department of Education in your state may help you find grants to help you pay for college. Most states offer need-based college grants in amounts determined by your FAFSA. You may need to maintain a GPA, be a resident and/or pursue specific majors.

    Top Grants for College for 2019 and 2020

    In addition to federal grants for college, many grants may be available within your home state. Here are the top grants that may help you pay for your college education in 2019 and 2020.

Explore America Travel Scholarship

HI USA's Explore America scholarships assist travelers financially by help launching their travel careers. To qualify for travel awards, applicants must meet the following requirements: -Be 18 - 30 years of age -Be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident (possess a green card) or DACA recipient -Demonstrate financial need by meeting at least one of the following criteria: -Current Pell Grant recipient -2019 income level that does not exceed 300% of the 2019 Federal Poverty Guidelines. ...

Total: $1000 Awards:  1
Deadline:  March 1

AANP Grants and Education Advancement Scholarships

This scholarship is available for registered nurses and nurse practitioners who are returning to school to pursue a graduate degree in nursing. Applicants must be members of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP).

Total: $2500 Awards:  5
Deadline:  March 18

Fleet Reserve Association Education Foundation Scholarship

The Fleet Reserve Association Education Foundation Scholarship is available for U.S. citizens and be full-time students at an accredited college and university in the United States.

Total: $5000 Awards:  10
Deadline:  April 15

VFW's "Sport Clips Help A Hero Scholarship"

The VFW's "Sport Clips Help A Hero Scholarship" is available for Student Veterans of America and Sport Clips Haircuts to provide the assistance they need.

Total: $5000 Awards:  10
Deadline:  April 30

NY Part-time TAP Program

This award is available to New York resident undergraduate students who are enrolled part-time at an eligible postsecondary institution in New York. Students must demonstrate financial need and must meet the income and asset limits set by the NY State commission.

Total: $4735 Awards:  1000
Deadline:  June 30

Federal Pell Grant

A Federal Pell Grant is a source of financial aid. Usually, to receive a Pell Grant, you must be an undergraduate who has not yet earned a bachelor’s, graduate or professional degree. Unlike a loan, you do not have to repay it as long as you meet the conditions. These include withdrawing from your program early. Also, if you switch from full to part-time study, it may affect your grant amount. Receiving outside grants and scholarships that lessen your need for aid is another reason.

Total: $6195 Awards:  100
Deadline:  June 30

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

An FSEOG Grant is a type of needs-based federal aid but works differently from the Pell Grant. FSEOG funds issued from the government go to schools that take part in the program. No more FSEOG awards can be made for a year once the school uses all the funds. Eligible students receive their grant money once per term. The school may issue credit to the student’s account and/or pay them directly.

Total: $4000 Awards:  4000
Deadline:  June 30

National Science Foundation, Research Experiences for Undergraduates

The Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) is available for undergraduate students who are conducting research in areas of study funded by the National Science Foundation.

Total: $5000 Awards:  50
Deadline:  August 26

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

Each year you must provide ED’s TEACH Grant servicer, FedLoan Servicing, with (1) documentation showing that you have completed a full school year of qualifying teaching service. Or (2) a certification that you intend to satisfy the terms and conditions of your TEACH Grant service obligation. Teaching or certification of intent documents must be submitted to FedLoan Servicing by an annual certification date.

Total: $4000 Awards:  10
Deadline:  October 31

Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty

Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty is available for “regular” MGIB while on active duty, VA can pay you whichever is less: The monthly rate based on tuition and fees for your course(s); or your maximum monthly MGIB rate (basic rate plus any increases you may qualify for).Benefits are generally payable for ten years following your release from honorable active service.Rates for benefits vary.

Total: $24000 Awards:  10

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants

This award is for U.S. students who are currently enrolled at an accredited postsecondary institution in the U.S. The student must a dependent of a member of the Armed Forces who died as a result of performing military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after Sept. 11, 2001, and who is not receiving a Pell Grant.

Total: $5550 Awards:  1000

Troops to Teachers

The Troops to Teachers Grant is available for Former and retired members of the Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard, Reserve components and National Guard may be eligible.

Total: $10000 Awards:  10