Cleveland, OH
Cleveland Institute of Art

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Cleveland Institute of Art

Amber

The Cleveland Institute of Art is great for building connections and being surrounded by creative people. Not only does it encourage creativity and hard work, but offers accessibility to many events and activities to pursue them. There are plenty of opportunities to join groups of people and meet students outside of your class. While I can agree than the school overall is overpriced, it’s well worth going.

Daniel

The teachers are amazing! They have high standards for the students. We have four 5 hour long studio classes with a two hour break halfway through. All freshmen take the same set of classes to put everyone on an even playing field and build a solid foundation. To get into your major, students must apply and interview with the head major teachers to get a spot in the applied major. There are very limited spots, so there is a lot of competition to make sure you get in. The facilities are also great. There's a wood shop, metal shop, sound room, library- pretty much anything dealing with art is there. The other students are all pretty easy to get along with, and sophomore-seniors are very helpful on giving tips and advice for when you apply into your major. However, there are some down sides to all of this. On the business side, the school seems to readily accept more people than they can fit into some majors. My class is currently the largest freshman class this school has had with around 200-250 people. The most popular majors (Animation, Illustration, Game Design, and Industrial design) each only have 10-13 spots open for next year. I'm trying to get into animation, along with at least 100 other students. This has had two negative effects on me; it raises stress on me to devote all my time into trying to make sure I have a shot at getting into my major with the fear of failure looming over (which you must be prepared to do in this environment), and makes me somewhat hesitant to interact with other freshmen because I don't know if I'll see them next year if they or I don't get into our major. I'd rather avoid the additional heartbreak. Overall, the school is excellent academically, but very daunting and dangerous on the business side. If you focus on your foundation year work and do all the work plus more on your free time you have a shot at making it. Unfortunately, there's just not enough rooms and teachers for the amount of students they accept.

Ricardo

I feel that this school is very top notch, and is a brilliant stepping stone for young artists to make their mark, overall. The facilities are well maintained, and there is plenty of equipment for the students and staff to use for their artwork. In addition, there are plenty gallery and exhibition opportunities for students to take advantage of. However, that is only from an objective standpoint. Subjectively, the experience has not been so good. Being a private institution, the tuition has been exponentially high, and it increases every year. Now that I'm in my final year, I've been feeling very uneasy about paying for the expenses. Also, on a personal level, I have not been able to make friends or professional connections. It might just be me, or I am not fit to be an artist. Whatever the case may be, I will finish my final year despite those challenges.

Dejah

While my school does go to great lengths to make sure the students are well equipped to do what their hearts desire, there is not much teaching happening between student and teacher in many majors. It is almost as if they expect incoming students to have a grasp of the fundamentals of design and an understanding of many different mediums and techniques when they are, more often than not, coming out of high school. My overall opinion is that the school is much too focused on the monetary benefits of running a college rather than the academic well being of the students they accept.

I've learned so much in such a short period of time. The faculty is very friendly and open to having intellectual conversations outside of the classroom or just meeting up to offer advice on projects. The studio spaces are nice and the fabrication studios offer students the tools and materials needed to experiment with a wide variety of art forms.

D'Nae

So far this school has been great. My only complaints is that it can be a bit disorganized from time to time to a point that a whole class of students are confused as to their next steps. However, the school makes up for it by having the most available staff to help and advise the students. They are heavily dependent on students helping students but its never a problem to speak to someone else. It is a really great school and I have been challenged a great amount in the year I've been there. There are plenty of opportunities for one to learn themselves and explore their surroundings.

Victoria

The Cleveland Institute of Art has a diverse range of different creative studies with a small community of local artists and designers working together to help provide a thorough and unique educational experience.

Stop putting off your applications and giving your parents attitude, because even though they may be nagging and annoying you, they have a point: being aggressive and responsive about your education is crucial. You might think you're just going to be drawing and having fun doing what you love (which is true to a point) but you will be trained to work hard and effeciently, which is no joke. Make friends, be social and don't be afraid; everyone here is as weirded out as you are, so just express that, because the people you meet here will be long-lasting bonds and potential professional relationships. Don't sell yourself short: be aware of your skills and make sure othere of aware of them as well. Lastly and most importantly: your first few critiques are going to suck, but that's ok. Suck it up, because you need to learn to accept criticism with a grain of salt and push yourself to make your work phenomenal. It's better if people have something to say about your work than nothing at all.

Someone who wants a lot to do with sports/frats/sororities. You shouldn't attend this school if you think 'art school' is going to be easy.

loc

Look both ways before crossing the road. I would tell myself this because there were so many opportunities surrounding me but i was completely unaware of them. Research should have been done to seek and understand these valuable opportunities such as post-secondary class while in highschool, immense amounts of available scholarships, and focus on what you know youre good at which is art. Art is something i was good at and also felt good about because it made me feel like i was in control. Coupling that talent with an industry of interest early on would have saved me three years of time focusing on an uninspired major. Art was not just something done to pass the time. It was a genetic gift passed from my father. After focusing my priorities in life, taking advantage of my gift and making it applicable to the current world is the best thing i can do for myself. By doing so, happiness is surely to follow.

Its very art focused so it helps to motivate and keep you motivated.

The surrounding environment is not too safe. so stay on campus or travel in groups

Victoria

Producing highly effective and trained individuals in visual arts from all majors, especially Industrial Design, Interior Design, Biomedical Illustration, and T.I.M.E. Digital Arts. The school is affiliated with Case Western Reserve in recent decade(s), and has professors that are active artists (Julian Stanczak and the late Viktor Schreckengost to name some former professors).

Even though I'm only half way through the foundation year at The C.I.A., I have already discovered so much about myself in such a short amount of time. The foundations department here really focuses on building strength in areas that all students at the school will need to succeed, but the intimate and small classroom structure really helps each individual grow and improve in their own way. I for sure though I was going to apply to Biomedical Illustration, but through the elective classes that they make available to freshman and the projects that the foundations classes have, I've discovered new interests and passions. Now I love design, and making three-dimensional objects, when I hadn't had much experience with that before I started foundations here at The C.I.A. Also, the specificity of the majors at the school keep the individual surrounded by those who are also passionate about art, which is vital: a big part of visual art is the social experience, and without other people, you can't grasp that important part.

Anyone without an imagination. To be a little less broad, someone who shouldn't attend this school is someone who doesn't love art, and doesn't love working on it all the time, eating, sleeping, breathing it.

Cleveland Institute of Art administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.