Columbus, OH
Columbus State Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Columbus State Community College

XIAOLU

In my opinion, CSCC is best known for its specialty of teaching languages, especially English for whoever learns it as a second language. To be more specific, I used to scare English writing, for the pressure from over-expectation of superior polishment from high school teachers. Yet, my instructor in CSCC, who tutors me composition, arouses my interest in writing through relaxing ways. For instance, she taught us brainstorming through drawing and talking. Thus when I'm writing an essay now, I feel I'm expressing myself rather than loading some fancy phrases.

If I got the opportunity to go back and stand in front of "me", I would tell her: You will definitely have a share of goals, losses and triumphs before or right in college. Life would get more difficult if you lack of independence. Moreover, without the knowledge of rules, such as the criteria for your college entrance, ahead of time, you would be like a soilder who entered the battle field with ignorance, in wait to get shot. So you should armour yourself ahead of time. In another word, y no matter what catastrophes you ought to be faced with, I shall never give up my hope, given it's the easiest to lose and the hardest to survive without. I have few friends, but all are the good ones. I was forced to delay my college years due to the immigration and financial stuff, but I gained a longer transitional period for me to well-prepare until I could enter my real battle as a stronger warrior. It's my faith that I will never lose again.

Having enrolled in ESL, I wish I could realize my misconception in learning English, especially writing, in order to directly begin my general education courses. I've spent several years busy self-preparing for SAT and TOEFL. I substantially focused on vocabulary, trying to memorize the "big words". However, now I know it incorrect since I overlooked the importance of reading. Reading is the key to open the door of a new way of expression. To read, is to immerse into the vivid English world. Perhaps in this way, I would be more capable and start my favorite major now.

Danielle

A lot of people from my high school looked down on community college because it can be ignorantly stereotyped to have a less academic value compared to a four year university. Therefore, I believe this makes student take less pride in my school. That is definitely something that should be changed.

Someone who shouldn’t attend Columbus State is someone who doesn’t appreciate the financial benefits of community college, that means, trying their best academically with this opportunity.

Abbey

The best thing about my school is the opportunities it provides. First, the tuition is low which gives a lot of low income people, including myself, hope of attending college. Also, transfering to another school is made simpler through the prefered pathways program.

The location is quite a distance away from where i live and it can be difficult to find where you are supposed to be going because of one ways streets and traffic.

Laurie

I would definitely tell my younger self to never give up on education; to go to college. Even though family is important, so is an education that a college can provide. I would emphasize to not wait till future children are out of school to start college. The time is NOW, not later! Lastly, I would tell my younger self that she is not stupid and will do very well in furthering her education. It’s worth the time, effort, and expense. I would tell my younger self she IS worth it!

A person that shouldn't attend this college is one that doesn't want to work for an "A" or "B".

I brag that it is never too late to go to college and I'm living proof.

Jesse

DUDE! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? These kids you're haning out with aren't worth it. Stop cutting class, stop focusing on your work and focus on High School! One day you're going to want to be in the Ohio State marching band and your skill will let you, but you will have to work a full time job because you're living on your own. Get scholarships now so you can afford to go to college! Get your grades together and focus on what you can learn this year! Anything you can learn will save you hundreds of dollars and hours!

The price! With my pel grants I will be able to go get my associates degree without needing to take out any loans! It's truley a godsend

I wish I would have known that they only offer technical degrees in computer science and not a traditional comp sci bachelors degree.

Alexandra

When I was a senior in high school, my life fell apart. My mom lost her job, we were having huge money problems, and I had fallen into a deep depression by the end. If I could go back, I would tell myself that college will be the best thing that I could ask for, and just to not lose hope. The next few months will be rough, but you will pick yourself up. When you get to Saginaw Valley (my first university), go into it with eyes wide open, and take care of yourself. Don't be as judgemental with people (including your roommates), and don't be afraid of classes. You will be a great student, but really consider getting tested for ADD early. It will save you a lot of pain. Be yourself, you will eventually find your group of friends in unexpected places. Great things will happen to you in the next few years. I know things are looking bleak right now. Trust me, I've literally been there. These few years have been hell. But listen to me when I tell you, you will be a stronger person at the other end of this journey.

Its a depressing looking community college, and I'm here only to finish up my gen eds.

The amount of attention professors give each individual student.

Eddie

I would tell myslef this: "Hey, I know you don't have a father figure around, zero friends because you moved, and you are not pushed at all to reach your full potential, but I am here to be that father fugure and tell you that in about 4 years from now, you will be getting A's in Calculus so this 'D 'that you got in geometry does not fit with what I know you are capable of. High-school should be 'easy as cake' for you right now; all you need to do is study. If you don't take my advice, then in 4 years from now you will be acing Calc. and other courses, but unlike the education you are getting now, it will not be free and you will be in thousands of dollars in debt! Be mentally tough and push through the lonliness in order to get scholarship money upon graduation becasue that is the time when the greater lump sums of money are offered towards your education if your gpa is high. Good luck and stay positive!"

I wish I had known what my major was going to be; now I know.

THe most frustrating thing about my school is the fact that advisors are not helpful at all. On many occaisons I have taken courses I didn't need to and as a result, my progress isn't movin at the rate I had hoped for.

Dustin

I would tell myself to get a head start on scholarships and preparation for college. I would tell myself to exercise myself in responsibility and that no one is going to hold my hand like they did in high school. I would emphasize the need to try my hardest to get the best possible grades that I could to pave the way for my future. I would tell myself to think about my future, to really consider where i want to be in the next 5,10,20 years in terms of education and career. I would tell myself to seek out as much advice as possible from academic advisors and teachers in regards to what to do and where to go. Above all, I would remind myself to see college as the privelage that it is; what a blessing it is to have the opportunity and money to get a good education.

My classmates have all been very friendly and helpful. Everyone is polite and accomodating.

Overpriced custom text books. Spent like $160 on a textbook that nobody will buy, not even the campus bookstore. And that was just one example.

Amber

What's so unique about Columbus State is that students can take thier time in planning their future. With this college the advisors can help you plan a path of oppurtunity such as getting a degree there or putting the student on a pathway program. The pathway program is for students that want to transfer to a university after two years. How I can compare this to other schools is, Columbus State is a beginning for the future getting a student ready for making that big step in making a choice in a university.

Columbus State is know for their small classes, the school is not that expensive starting out. The advisors make sure that the student does not take too many classes in the beginning. Starting out they want you to take baby steps which means that students have to take developement classes just to get started then take a step ahead into the harder courses. Columbus State is just know for the laid back campus that is not too busy or too crowded it's a start that students want or need right after high school.

Listen Amber, I know that high school seems hard and nothing is turning out right but that will all change when you go to college. College is so much more than high school, with high school you're treated like a kid but with college you're treated like an adult. College is a stepping stone to the next level of life that is when you get to plan out your future, learning how to balance out finaces. Applying for finacial aid getting tips from adivors on what's the best plan for you. Amber you will be doing a lot on your own because college is giving you the chance to grow and letting go of your hand. I know now that you have to take your time when it comes to college because college is a big responisblilty, knowing what major you want, knowing how long your going to stay in school. Always keep those grades up if not then your going to have to pay for that class. This transition has not been smooth but when the roads bumps start to striaghten out things will go good and the blocks will fall into its proper place.

Jonathan

Dear Jonathan, I know it doesn't seem real now, but soon, and much sooner than you think, your actions today will determine where you will be next year. Your daily grind focuses on preparing your body for the future but you will not be able to use these skills if you loose focus on what counts most. Please give your grades the same intensity you give your opponents on the court. Defend your arguments on your papers, like you defend your home court. Work on Goverment, like you work on your outside shot. Work harder, do more and give it your all both on and off the court. No one will know the great player you are and can be if you don't ever have the opportunity to fulfil your dream. And remember, the game isn't over until the buzzer, so don't quit, give it your all and leave it all on the court. Good luck, Jonathan

I wish I had known that I should have applied myself more in high school to prepare myself academically for college. It's not as if I didn't know, it's just I didn't make academics a priority but focused on sports instead.

The most frustrating thing about Columbus State is also one of the greatest features. There are several campus locations and you must be very careful when making your schedule. Unfortunately, I discovered this the hard way leaving myself 30 minutes to make it across town to a different location.

Columbus State Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.