Howard University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Howard University

Nia

My overall opinion of Howard University is I feel like it is an amazing school. It is my dream school and I feel that it is everything I want in a college. It is extremely diverse and that is one of things I look for in a school. It has lots of culture and lots of great opportunities. The campus and the overall feeling of the university is something that cannot be matched.

Aria

Howard University, otherwise known as the Mecca is a utopian society for black people. Prior to attending Howard a big concern of mine was fitting in because I was coming from a predominantly white high school. When I stepped on campus I realized that this perception of a singular type of black person was a myth. There are various unique black people that go to Howard that come from across the globe. This diversity that Howard has contributes to the excellent learning curriculum that Howard has established. This melting pot of black people can be visualized in October during Homecoming. Homecoming is when various beautiful, black people gather to celebrate and appreciate this amazing institution. Additionally, Howard has produced distinguished alumni including Supreme Court justice Thurgood Marshall, and civil rights activist and politician Elijah Cummings. Of course students are extremely proud of the alumni, Chadwick Boseman for his recent star role in Black Panther. Students look up to each and every alumni that has passed through Howard, and aspire to be just as successful. Unfortunately, there are downsides to every university, and it would be unjust for me not to address the issues within the university. Howard University’s administration can be difficult, which has led to the term of the “Howard run around.” Students can spend a full day running around to have an issue addressed, which could be extremely stressful, but this builds character. Your problems in life are not going to be fixed immediately, and you may need to be aggressive at times in your life if you want to see something change. The “Howard run around” builds determined students who are willing to work hard to achieve greatness in this world. Students who attend Howard have a desire to become successful in life whether it be in journalism, film production, or law. In the process of making these dreams a reality, black people uplift each other which is unique and powerful. Ultimately, Howard made me realize the power and beauty in being black.

FO

The illustrious Howard University, also known as the Mecca, has influenced my growth and individuality in more ways than one. Being a student at Howard University means that you will face issues with financial aid, and with bursar, and with housing, and maybe even with meal plans. Howard, although, is a community. It is not just a regular community; it is a community filled with intellectual, bright, beautiful, black students from all over the world. The culture, the blackness, being able to look around and see people who look like you and can relate to you. That experience is like no other.

I love this schools campus, at the heart of Washington D.C it is very easy to get politically active on the campus. It is a wonderful school with students that are very intelligent, hard-working, and competitive. Wonderful school and I can't wait to attend!

Yasmean

The historical value placed on Howard University is what makes the school thrive. The professors, the atmosphere of the classroom, it all bleeds with African-American culture. Because of this, their is a warm feeling of unity felt by all, embedded in the school.

charlise

I think it is a very sophisticated school and has a lot of opportunities. If you want to be part of a sorority there are alot. It is part of the howard "religion" i guess you can say. Right in the heart of DC. A lot of nearby sights to go see. The campus is very open and beautiful.

JoyLynn

Howard University is beautiful campus and oasis in the Washington D.C. area. Students here are very motivated and consistently make the choice to better their future. If anyone on campus ever feels the need for a change in scenery, it is very easy to go into the city and enjoy coast affordable activities. This si a great place to network and build towards your future goals. Overall, Howard is an amazing place to plan and take action for your academic career.

Denise

The Administration is anti-student. Students are constantly at risk of being suspended or expelled.

Shalani

Howard University was my first option for a college, i chose this HBCU since my mum is an alumni of this university. Since cold remember she pushed me through those doors, trying to get me to see the beauty in the place she used to call home. I did see it i strive to follow and surpass her footsteps.

Denaldo

Howard University is a complex culture of a mixture of several black diaspora groups from all over the world. The main reason to go to Howard is for the black education, empowerment, and cultural inclusion. However, Howard is also a great place for academics, sports, and the arts. Really anything you could want to do in college is offered by Howard. Great students, great teachers, and a warm community. Only thing plaguing Howard is a lack of government and private funding, and a slight problem with transparency with students from the administration. Overall though it is top 10 schools in America to me.

Sterling

The illustrious Howard University is and will forever be an amazing school, however, no school is perfect. Upon arrival to Howard there were some major issues with on campus housing, as well as financial issues. Within the few months that I have been here and seen things grow, some much change has been implemented and campus life is already improving. Administration is actually taking the time to hear its students and faculty out; trying to integrate our ideas into the university to figure out what is best for everyone, as a whole, and this is happening slowly, but surely. We attend school in the nation's capital, it 's only fitting that we protest and demand for change to happen on our campus, especially since it's our home for the next four years. I am proud to call myself a Bison and can't wait to be a part of the change that future Howard University Bison will experience.

Avery

Howard is a place that is built on black excellence. The connections that one can make by attending school at this are endless. The social and academic life that students live is one of the best experiences that someone could have. The admin are lazy and can be rude sometimes, but once you learn how to manage the Howard run around, you will do great things.

Kenthia

gvvgvgv

J'Lynn

Howard University has given me the opportunity to advance and further my education in an prestigious setting. Although this campus has it's flaws, I will work to be the change that I want to see. I am honored to be a Bison and I hope to continue my education here.

Ebone

I love it here! Wouldn’t want to go anywhere else! So much history here including all the famous people who have come out of this university. From the culture to the people, Howard is definitely a great place to be. Everyday is a learning experience. I’m proud to say that I go to Howard University!!!

Nikia

I genuinely enjoy attending this university. Although there are countless things to fix, I would not trade my HBCU experience for the world and feel I would not be happier elsewhere. As an incoming freshman, I had a slight idea of what to expect because my aunt is an alumna of my school, however, you do not really understand until you see for yourself. I suggest everyone have the HBCU experience at least once, and Howard is, in my opinion, the best place to do so.

Loranna

Howard offers three highly selective honors programs for its most high-achieving undergraduate students: the College of Arts & Sciences Honors Program, the Executive Leadership Honors Program in the School of Business, and the Annenberg Honors Program in the School of Communications. Good school.lots of history.good school for a quality education.lots of info.lots to learn here.i would recommend this school. Howard is with out doubt one of the jewels of Washington DC. Howard is a historical university that has educated some of the most successful Black Americans in the country. The campus is wonderful.

Lyric

Howard University is known as many things. It is the Mecca for one. The most popular of HBCUs. But why? Is it because of our notable alumni? Is it because of its students' determination and stride for a better life and representation of Black people all over the world? Perhaps a combination of the two. Students still apply and attend this "prestigious" university every single year knowing about the problems that its current students face every year. The administration at Howard works extremely slow and mostly shoos away students looking for help to fix whatever issue they may be having. Financial aid at this university is truly a mess and is a constant work in progress. They are good for losing your paperwork, or taking away money, grants or scholarships that were given to you prior because they have somehow found some reason for you to no longer deserve it. The administration does a poor job at distributing and publicizing important deadline dates for its students to take care of business, and students often times end up leaving the university to pursue their education elsewhere because Howard failed to uplift them. I've had my run-ins with admin many times, and many times ending with me leaving in tears. We are paying entirely too much money for the facilities to still be run down, administration to be treating students poorly, and for the food to not be that great and have inconvenient dining hours for students. I love Howard because of the people who care about the students and because of the drive of students. The music program is phenomenal and is filled with such talent and expertise and I am glad to be apart of it besides all of the chaos that I have to deal with everyday. If it weren't for the music department and the amazing souls I have met through it, I may have transferred by now, because money is scarce. I hope that my class will progress Howard's conditions and make it better for the next group of students who are ready to start their college careers.

Courtney

My opinion on Howard University is that it’s a very excellent school. You can tell that the students there always excel and do great in anything they do. The students are also very helpful and very friendly. The campus is extremely big and there’s so many activities you can do around the school when students don’t have class. The events at Howard are even bigger. Howard always show out when they have homecoming, important speakers, music festivals and more. Howard will make you feel very comfortable and secure. There’s so many options you can major in at that school. If there’s a major that they don’t have, you can choose the alternative to go to another school and make up your own major and still get college credits from Howard. The opportunities you can receive at Howard are endless! You can even study abroad and go on a couple of free vacations at Howard based upon what you major in and how long you’ve been there. I would definitely consider going to Howard without a doubt. Howard is known for having great academics, a great law and medicine program, and more.

Sasha

I love the school and look forward to attending Fall 2020

Zionna

I expected it to be much more welcoming and have a much newer feel and for the staff to be more professional. Everything is a secret here and the people that are supposed to help you don’t want to. However, there are a couple people who are very loving and make you feel at home.

Charity

My overall opinion of Howard University is that being a HBCU the student bring the culture to the campus. There are many artistic minds around campus that help it thrive and catch the attention of others. There are also those who are very bright individuals and flourish in their academics which helps improves Howard's academics and set a good reputation for them. Although not every dorm is up to date the older it is the more the students living in it can build a sisterhood or brotherhood. Being an open campus the staff takes necessary precaution to inform the students on what to do during certain situations and provides a list of contacts that can help in extreme situations.

Jayden

Howard University is my dream school and I would not want to be anywhere else. However there is some downfalls to it. The math department is trash and there are a lot of professors who have been there for a long time and have tenor so they feel as though they can do what they want. The student life is great and there is always something to do on campus or in DC.

Skylar

Howard is the real HU. It is the number one HBCU and the 8th best college in the country. What more can I say. H.U.---You Know!

Janee

My overall opinion of Howard University is that it is a very positive environment, it facilitates many meaningful conversations, and there is always something going on outside of the classrooms. While there are some issues that could be helped, if you take advantage of your time here, you can definitely be successful in your career path.