Archbold, OH
Northwest State Community College

1 Rating

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northwest State Community College

It is a very nice community college. They offer lots of outside help, and care a lot about their students academic success. There doesn't seem to be a lot to participate in outside of class, but that's alright because a lot of students use this college as a stepping stone to a bigger college.

Greg
Diamond in the Rough

Diamond in the Rough

Northwest State Community College is a small 2-year college in Archbold, Ohio. Corn fields and long county roads are abundant and you'll frequently see students in full camouflage attending class. It's a very serene location, as you'll find with most colleges in rural settings. The college has over 5,000 students whom are pursuing 2 year degrees or certificates, though not enough students attend in order to house a sports team. There's no football, basketball, nor soccer. There's not even a baseball team, for a college located in the middle of an area that is hometown to almost a dozen current MLB players. But, what Northwest State is lacking in extra curricular activities, it makes up for in the quality of the education being given by the staff and had by every student. Not only is the building a diamond in the rough, it's occupants are as well. If any prospective student walks through the doors, and are willing to work for it, they will gain a great education at a manageable price. The main focus of Northwest State's curriculum is job preparedness for graduating sophomores. As a result, students attending Northwest State with the intention of furthering their education may feel as if they were forced to take unnecessary coursework while working towards their respective degrees. I, for one, feel as if some of the required coursework towards my Associate of Arts degree is delaying the fulfillment of my ultimate goal, acquiring my Bachelor's Degree in English from Ohio Northern University. But, with all bias aside, and speaking as a former and current member of the adult workforce in agriculture, manufacturing, and customer service, I can proudly say that I was able to be an integral part of every company to which I've been employed based, in part, on my education from Northwest State.

If i could give myself advice, i'd tell myself to make sure i'm ready. If possible, take college courses while your still in High School so you can be more prepared in what to expect and you already have a good start on college. Dont slack off your last year of high school just because your finally going to get out of there after 4 long years because your going to wish you hadn't. It's time to grow up and be an adult. Instructors aren't going to treat you like you in high school anymore, they are going to expect alot more out of you than what your teachers in high school did. Try to overcome your shyness and make friends when you in college. They will help you along the way.

You need to work at a fast pace and make sure you get everything done on time and listen to the instructor while they are lecturing and giving out instructions to class, taking notes will help. Dont feel dumb about asking questions, there is no dumb questions. Be on time and ready for class. Try not to miss any classes, and if so make sure you get notes from someone on what you missed the day you were absent. Also, let your teacher know before hand if you aren't going to be in class.

The worst thing about my school is some teachers don't help you out as much as others do. They might just think everyone learns the same or they think everyone is learning fine because no one is asking questions, but they need to encourage everyone to ask them.

Lavada

If i were to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would have told myself to apply myself into school more. As a high school senior I had already been accepted into a 4-year college and I thought that I could just 'skate' through the year. I would tell myself to really focus on what I want to accomplish with my future and if things do not happen the way I had planned not to be disappointed because this is life and plans change. I would tell myself that I wasnt actually going to be attending college that fall because life had other plans for me and a son would be born to me the next spring and that it would take 8 years after high school graduation before I would actually have that opportunity to attend college. I would tell me that it is very scary since it is a long time out of the classroom but it is something that I would value very much and would take very seriously.

The best thing about my school is that willingness of the staff to work with their students and prospective students. The faculty was hands on and very eager to assist me in my decision to enroll in courses and they have helped me set goals for myself that will help me achieve the degre that is best suited for me.

NW State is an ideal school for any student. It is a great start for those that are going to further their degree after the two years because it allows the student courses that are cheaper in a community college than at a university. It is also a perfect choice for those with children like myself because the school offers night and weekend classes.

Augustin

Northwest State Community College is a great learning environment for any student willing to commute to class every day. The school is located in a middle ground between three small towns which gives a variety of housing options for students. The majority of students enrolled at my college have lived in the area and are earning their associates degree before transfering to a larger college for their bachelor's degree. This makes for some clicks, but overall any one group will talk to other groups and no one is excluded. Northwest State is overall a welcoming and wholesome college.

If I could give my self advice as a high school senior, I would reassure my concerns about the college I had chosen. I would say that a community college is a great way to start the college adventure. It is great in the fact that most people are very nice and helpful, and that they will work with you if you work with them. A community college is also great because it gives you a better chance to win some scholarships from the school because not as many students are enrolled there. This will reduce the college debt for after you are finished. I would also reassure my self that making friends will not be a problem, and that they will stick with me forever. Sure there will be some jerks, but they will soon pass and ethical people will take their place as my good friends. In short, I would tell myself that the college I have chosen is of excellent quality not because of the good food or the kind people in admissions. It is because of the amazing teachers who help with anything and the good friends that come with a good learning environment.

There is no one person who should not attend Northwest State. If a student is scared of living by them selves, they don't need to worry. There are lots of students who could use another person to help pay their rent. If driving is and issue, the student can carpool with someone who is living close to where they are living. There are also carpool sign up sheets posted all over the campus to help students find other students to ride with. Of all the students I have talked to at Northwest State, no one has been dissatisfied.

kelly

Northwest State is an affordable college that caters to the busy schedules of the working student and offers a bit of everything for all types of students.

To be a successful student in college takes a few things. Be serious about the learning process. Complete all assignments on time, read assigned material, and start each semester with a positive attitude. Get a planner that you can organize your thoughts, assignments, due dates, test dates, and personal commitments. Study the learned material in small increments every day, never cram for a test. Take time for yourself to relax and unwind. If you do not do well on a test, it may be that you studied hard, just not in the most effective way. Make an appointment with your instructor if you are having difficuly with a course. The instructor can offer ideas on how to be successful in his/her course.

The best thing about my school is the fact that we have almost a 100% pass rate on the NClexs. If you can make it through the RN cirriculm with a 78% or better, you are well prepared to sit your boards after graduation.

Diksha

Since this scholarship does not include any place for Indian students, I would advice myself to be a part of the US university so that I atleast come into the 'deserving' category, since it seems impossible to reach out to any scholarship sponsor (inspite of being a deserving student, who desperately needs financial help for her education!).

Northwest State Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.