Sam Houston State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Sam Houston State University

Kismot

I love Sam Houston state university it is a pretty diverse school which value student's opinion, it is very safe and encourage students to get involved not only in academics but also in extracurricular activities like clubs and organizations. its an excellent school for work study.

In my opinion, the overall opinion I have of Sam Houston State University is beyond positive. The entire school has been completely on top of their game and everyone who attends Sam is incredibly nice. I always recommend SHSU when someone asks about a genuine school who cares about the education of its students. Sam Houston State University is everything I've ever dreamed of when's pursing my education and I'm glad I picked this school.

I love my school !!!!

Cicily

I love the idea of attending Sam Houston State University. Everyone I talked to who attended this school, loved it. I went for a visit and the professors were so encouraging and helpful. They spent time answering my questions, and talking with me about what I want to study. The business department is the only one in Texas that offers a double major in banking and finance while only taking an extra two classes. The campus is beautiful as well, with lots of housing options.

I love this school. I came from a big city and this small town college is a great change and I am in love with the campus and the life I have because of this university. The physical campus is beautiful and the atmosphere is very happy and welcoming.

Kimberly

I am a current student at Sam Houston State University and I can say without a doubt that SHSU is a wonderful place to call home. The professor to student ratio is the perfect size, the campus does not make you feel overwhelmed, and everyone at Sam Houston does their best to help you be the best version of yourself. Sam Houston has given me so many opportunities that I would not have had if I had gone to a larger university. I was able to join greek life and take a leadership position, work with the baseball team, hold a part-time job, feed the homeless once a week, attend church bi-weekly, and have a social life all while maintaining a 4.0 GPA. I was so pleased with all of the faculty and professors at Sam Houston. Everyone that I encountered truly wanted to help me and my journey through college. Although the food on campus might not be the best, and Huntsville itself is relatively small; the people themselves are what make Sam Houston one of the best universities in Texas. I am so thankful that I took a chance on Sam Houston and am eternally grateful for the opportunities the school has provided me. Eat 'em up Kats!

Meaghan

My overall opinion of Sam Houston State University is average. Professors are pretty easy to get in contact with. Campus isn’t too small, but it’s also not too big. However, I feel like the on campus housing could be better and more enjoyable. Other than that, I would recommend Sam Houston to someone looking for a good college to attend.

jason

Great school I love it.

Laranza

Sam Houston State University is an overall great school to go to. It has great teachers who are willing to answer any and all questions during class or during their office hours. Sam Houston’s campus is not as big as the other major Universities and everything is easy to get making it great for a student to get used to walking around on campus. Overall Sam Houston is a fantastic school and I would recommend anyone who is looking for a great education and campus life to Sam Houston.

Christen

Overall I really like Sam Houston. It is a medium-sized campus where it is big enough to meet new people often but also small enough to see someone you don't like more often then you would want. I live in the newest dorm and it is the best. We are the only dorm on campus with a full sized fridge and a "walk in" like closet

Rosario

Sam Houston State is not that bad of a school, there are lots of people who are kind but there really isn't much to do around campus. It's in a small city, so not many places to visit. It does have a few options for food other than eating in one of the cafeterias. So that's okay. Overall, the campus is okay.

Kamia

Jenny

Sam Houston State University is a school known for its service. It is a school known for its friendly community. I love the peaceful environment. The courses are extremely hard but it is a great challenge for each of the students. There are so many study groups and tutoring centers provided in order to help get each person through the challenging courses but in order to get to our future we all know we have to put in the work. Sam Houston is a great spirited place and many there can say the same.

Rosa

I love Sam Houston State and love the people here. The campus is beautiful and so are the people. The professors here care so much about their students and make sure they understand the subject and will do everything they can to help them. The music program is phenomenal and there are many amazing musicians here. I love being here everyday!

rachel

Sam houston is a wonderful school. The campus is big enough for a ton of opportunities but small enough to have everything you need with in a mile. The people are great and the educational options are plentiful. The safety is also a huge plus. There are stations around the campus and 24/7 on call officers to escort you if you are feeling unsure.

Gabrielle

Sam Houston State University is amazing. The people are super friendly , and everything you'd need food/fun wise is within close driving distance. SHSU is not overcrowded, nor is it a "ghost town". Sam Houston State provides their students with a comfortable and safe learning environment that allows them to flourish in all areas of their lives. Overall ,this school is the perfect mix of strong academia and awesome social experiences!

Lizbeth

Sam Houston State University is a very diverse school with lots of opportunities to explore new things and meet new people. So far, the campus is great , the staff are very nice and helpful, I love the school spirit and the people. The professors are very intelligent and understandable. Overall it’s a very great school and I enjoyed having the college experience.

Keyera

Sam Houston State University, is a great campus for any student. It's a campus that is open to many culture's and people of different ethnic backgrounds. This campus gives many opportunities to all the students that come there from the visitors, alumni's and to everyone. There athletic facilities, academic centers , are great. Overall I love the college

Michelle

I love my school. The classes and instructors are interesting, and since it's a state school, the tuition is very reasonable. The campus is gorgeous, and although it's not huge, there are plenty of student services, organization, and other activities to get involved in. The university sits in the middle of Huntsville, a small town less than two hours from Houston. Huntsville is truly a college town, and the community is very open and welcoming.

Great school, beautiful campus, awesome professors, staff and students. The environment is great. Focused on academics and also student participation as well as student activities. The school has awesome school spirt and everyone is so friendly. The town is really cute and welcoming.

sterling

It is good at what is does and does not try to act like an arts school. It is a Criminal Justice school and it does it well. There are other things to doon campus but most activities will happen off campus. There isn't much in variety but if you enjoy the City and don't mind the prison being there then it is a great place.

Sophia

Sam Houston State University is such a welcoming place. People are always there to show you the way if you look like you're lost. People are so inviting. Professors are so helpful, no matter your question. If you have a question, you should ask it. If you're sitting alone, someone will invite you to sit with them.

Katherine

It's the size of my pinky and named after an asshole who once made Houston the state capital for his ever-growing ego. What do you think? For 137 years, Sam Houston State University motto, “The Measure of a Life is its Service,” echoes across the Huntsville campus. Of course there is historical roots through the ruins of the original buildings and rubble. Plus, it's right next to death row, A.K.A. Texas State Penitentiary at Huntsville nicknamed "Walls Unit." It is operated by the Correctional Institutions Division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, administered as within Region I. The facility, the oldest Texas state prison, opened in 1849. The unit houses the State of Texas execution chamber. It is the most active execution chamber in the United States, with 548 (as of February 1, 2018) executions since 1982, when the death penalty was reinstated in Texas. Such a wonderful place!

Alexander

I am really proud of this University. I am really looking forward to this university.

delilah

I love my school, I've met some amazing people while there. outside resources are everywhere, I chose the best school. extracurricular are always present and free to do with friends. the campus is always clean and kept together. Organizations offer ways to meet new people and be involved. tutoring outside of class is always to be found. It feels like a real home.

Miguel

I personally have enjoyed my time at Sam Houston State University. The people, including students, professors and other staff, are very friendly and helpful. Professors will do anything they can to help you succeed and counselors give good advice on planning ahead for your career.

dajae

I choose a great school I don’t regret my choice and I am very ready to start my next semester. All I have been telling my mom all summer is I’m ready to go to school I’m ready to see my friends. It’s just the life of freedom and responsibility that you can’t get no where better than at Sam Houston

Ian

Overall, I found Sam Houston State University to be an excellent college for individuals who are interested in pursuing a degree in Criminal Justice. Their other study areas were less impressive, but acceptable for a mid to lower tier institution. Enjoyed my time there.

Daniel

Sam's a GREAT college! Everything is built and tailored around the campus because it's basically a college town. The student life is very active and you'll find a variety of people, clubs, and programs to be apart of and get adjusted with. There's not much to do on the weekends unless you actually plan something.

Precious

As a recent transfer student, I'm adjusting to the setting quite fine. I came from Texas Woman's University and the school was predominantly female with a strong focus on the success of women empowerment in every aspect, which I enjoyed but I wanted to study Psychology at Sam because of their program . When I first walked through the quad on the first day, I saw so much diversity and Greek life, which I really liked because there wasn't a lot of showcases on Texas Woman's Campus, so I was very fortunate that I got to witness that. Transferring to Sam Houston was a great move for me and I'm doing amazing in my program.

Aaron

Here, the rooster crows serve as alarm clocks and compete with student pedestrians on the sidewalks. We know when it is lunch time thanks to the headcount whistle from the nearby prison (though many have learned to simply tune it out). It is beautiful in the fall, with the sun slanting lazily through thickets of leaves, falling in dappled constellations across old Georgian buildings, from which issue the sounds of students and professors wrestling with thorny issues of race, gender, and politics. Wide, sloping green lawns divide the hilly campus into its various sections, and it is pleasure to walk to and fro in this landscape. This pleasure, however, is occasionally marred by protestors from a nearby church who will climb atop parapets and shout in protest of women's rights to their bodies, gays, and sin in general. Yet, there is a pleasingly diverse mix of opinions and people on this campus, for its modest size and rural backdrop. I am an atypical student, in a sense, as I began my undergraduate degree in my late twenties, yet I never felt out of place in this world. I would not have made it to graduation without the ample support of certain faculty members, whose friendship I will always treasure. I really enjoyed my time at Sam Houston State University.

Katelyn

Sam Houston State University is a very beautiful campus. Everyone has that southern friendliness, and that is something I sought out for. I chose this school because it is known for its criminal justice and psychology programs and that it has a small town atmosphere. The classes don't require much, but all of the professors are there to help anytime and tend to be very passionate about what they are teaching. Overall, I'm very glad I chose to attend this school!

Kendall

I just completed my first semester and overall it went really well. The teachers are helpful and hands-on. They help you adapt the material to your learning style. The campus itself is gorgeous and full of amazing people. Students are very active with clubs and events on campus. It's an all around type of university that won't break the bank.

Bianca

Sam Houston is a lively campus with so many educational and extra curricular opportunities. The faculty is very nice and the facilities are great. Students number one priority is education. The staff makes learning challenging yet exciting. This is a great campus and it's a great experience for future students!

Nia

It is a wonderful university and you can tell that the professors really care about the success and future of their students. They are really big on the Arts, Greek life, and sports, and they also have a Gospel choir and a powerlifting team/club which I personally find particularly amazing! Overall, it is a wonderful institution that provides a myriad of opportunities to suit any person's interest.

Chizoma

I'm a transfer student from Texas Woman's University and it took me awhile to adjust to the setting from a majority predominant female college to a diverse college. As a sophomore transfer I really enjoy the student involvement on and off campus. They have many ways of how the student can get involved and also have programs that can help the student assimilate to a new area. One of the ways I felt more comfortable on campus was attending bible studies/services or joining clubs that were intended for my major.

Kennedi

i love it and SHSU has a lot to offer any serious student!!!!! whatever your major is this university has a lot to do around the town, movies, shopping, clubs, campus life, sporting events and there are nearby churches. I visited a few other schools but i settled on SHSU and I'm very happy with my decision to attend Sam Houston. The dorm I've lived in for 2 years has private individual rooms. I share the living room, kitchenette, and bathroom with just 1 other person and I love it. The dining hall has a variety of selections for every meal. Sports events get great attendance and campus life is great.

Jayda

Overall the campus is pretty nice. It's a little scary to go through campus at night. One thing i absolutely hated about the school was their school spirit, there wasn't any. Homecoming weekend was a major bore. But other than that school was pretty amazing.

JiAira

Sam houston is a pretty great school, with really beautiful scenery, and great people. The classes are very easy to follow and there's always great conversation. Most professors are fun, easy to get along with, and most of all understanding. All in all Sam Houston is a great choice especially those looking for a small townbut semi large campus experience.

I think Sam Houston State University is a great school. My mom,aunt and uncle went here and now I am going. I think they have great programs especially for Criminal Justice and Teaching. I like how they help you with anything you need and the professors are willing to help you too!

Annmarie

As a music major, I love my classes and the people I'm surrounded by. The classes are the perfect size, and all of my professors know me. The students take their studies seriously, and the music program is famous for how many great musicians it puts out into the field, whether it's in music education, music therapy, or music performance. It truly is a wonderful atmosphere to be in.

Laurie

I am in an online doctoral degree, but I had a niece go there and she loved it. I am excited to have to opportunity to take classes online and the instructors and director that I met seem amazing and accessible. I would like to do the review again after a semester or two.

Jewel

My overall opinion of Sam Houston State University is that it is an average school that does not have any characteristics that would make it stand out from other universities. The school seemed to have been an affordable institution at one point, but as of late it has been increasing in tuition and it would no longer be advisable for the university to advertise affordable tuition.

Haleigh

Sam Houston State University is a great school. Every school has its flaws but, Sam Houston has different features that make up for the things the lack. This school is composed of over 250 student-led organizations for you to get involved in. Sam Houston is the place where everybody can be somebody.

haeli

I absolutely love Sam Houtson state, Esoecially because it is such a close knit campus. When I went to orientation I halready had an idea set in my mind that I wouldn't like it. But as soon as I set foot on campus, it felt normal and real. Every other college I had looked at felt overwhelming. This one stuck and I am so glad that I will be attending in the fall.

Sam Houston is a good school. It gets the job done. The organizations on campus that I have found so far have been welcoming and helpful. They allow me to further education outside of the classroom and outside of my major. The students are great at encouraging each other to achieve their goals. The teachers encourage you to come to their office hours and seek help from them and from the services on campus to better your education.

Aleisha

Sam Houston will feel like home, the people, the teachers, you feel the true spirit of the school!

Patience

I very much enjoy myself here at Sam Houston State. With this being my first long-short term experience away from home, I can say that I am glad I picked this campus. I feel safe when I walk to where I need to be and I know that the people her aren't too threatening. The classes here are a generally nice size. I haven't encountered a class too big; However, some professors are a bit much and unnecessary.

Sapphire

Sam Houston State University is a college of excessive Greek life but a lack of energy , individuals aren’t truly proud to be attending or energized when walking the campus in my opinion . I have yet to see an individual on campus extremely enthused at being there other than the mascot or a mascot . Their academics are commendable.