Sam Houston State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Sam Houston State University

Julian

There are only three real things that generate revenue and bring people to Huntsville, Texas. The Sam Houston Museum, featuring more than any non-academic would ever care to know about the town’s hero. Texas State Penitentiary, called the “Walls Unit,” which draws in the families of the incarcerated and provides the city’s public schools with approximately 50% of their student population. And Sam Houston State University, an intellectual island fortress the townsfolk are apt to forget exists any weekend that there isn’t a football game. But the fortress only appears foreboding from the outside. Within is a burgeoning and forever bustling student population and professors who have elected to brave living in the surrounding city for the sake of working there. These professors are Huntsville’s unsung heroes, both dynamic and engaging, Sam’s students invest in their professors, who will stop in the halls or courtyards to talk or bring a regional dish to their class to heighten the experience. But if I had to pick a single local experience to encapsulate and expose the spirit of Sam Houston’s academic community, it is to be found in Texas Review Press, the university’s publishing house. In the spring semester of 2016, Dr. Paul Ruffin passed away, leaving only students and a single alum to run the Press. And yet run it does, competently, efficiently, and quietly. Sam Houston is a place of subtle efficiency, that enables and encourages its students to bring out the best in each other.

Destini

Sam Houston is a very rigorous academic school, but has a fun, exciting social scene! When visiting the University I see that the students take their academics and extracurricular involvements seriously. As well as staff dedicating their time and hard work to their jobs. Anyone on the campus is always willing to help and give guidance to anyone that needs it. I am proud to say that I will be entering my freshman year there in the fall of 2018 and I cannot wait to be a BEARKAT! Woohoo! With this scholarship I can focus more on my education than the financial worries of college. I will use this scholarship to take care of important financial needs such as books, tuition, room and board, or any other fees. Going to college is a dream of mine; the pursuit of higher education is something that I always aimed for since I was in elementary school. I would love to be given the honor and opportunity to accomplish all of my goals with this scholarship. I strongly ask to be considered for your scholarship. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected] Thank you so much for considering me, hope to hear from you soon!

Sara

A place to not only re-invent yourself, but to find yourself and others whom you may at one time have thought impossible to be friends with. There is hardly a dull moment when the academic year gets going and there are plenty of on-campus or off-campus sights to check out while strolling through town. Overall, to me Sam feels kind of like, home away from home.

angelo

i believe to be a great school and hope to graduate from this university with an abundance of skills.

Alejandra

I tremendously enjoyed my time studying at Sam Houston. I completed my bachelor of science degree in criminal justice while I was there and am confident I received an excellent education, as Sam Houston is ranked number three in the world for criminal justice programs. Official school ranking aside, my professors were experienced in the field they taught and always shared their real-life experiences with us to help us learn. They were very accessible and made the classes entertaining. The subject matter is very interesting to me so I actually wanted to go to class and do my homework. I also participated in the Honors College at Sam Houston which served me well by pushing me to complete extra credit work/projects with my professors. Working on these projects enhanced my overall experiences in my classes. I would definitely recommend Sam Houston State University for anyone who is interested in a career in law enforcement.

LaKendra

Sam Houston is an amazing school and it has grown so much since I graduated in 2010. The city of Huntsville is growing rapidly and I would love to be a student now. I have gained lifelong friends from San Houston, even further lifelong family members.

Sheryl

It is a great institution! The main campus in Huntsville, Texas is growing. There are a lot of extracuricular activities to enjoy for those that are interested. The class sizes are smaller and more personal. The professors are helpful and always available. I woukd consider Sam Houston State University to be an overall goid experience.

katelyn

Sam Houston State University is an old campus with multiple old building so there is constant construction as well as not many parking spaces so students are always here early to pay for parking. Although it is old, they are trying to make the buildings better and newer as they built two new buildings already and one is still under construction.

Joshua

Enrolling at Sam Houston State University was by far the best choice I've made this year. The students, professors, and staff are all surrounded by happiness. This feeling is a feeling that you can't find at every college. Being here gives me another home away from home.

Brianna

I love the campus because it's not too big and not too small. There's a really loving community/group if you choose to get involved and actually get to know people. The motto that Sam lives by is, "The measure of a life is its service," and this is something that people take to heart and manifest in their daily lives. Can be a little rocky at times in the semester, but overall I really do love calling Sam my home away from home.

Israel

As a current student at Sam Houston State University, I have enjoyed the time I have spent here very much, even if it has not been a lot. Even with the longer nights during the winter, I feel extremely safe to walk outside my dorm to get a hot chocolate, a snack, or if I need to print something last minute for an assignment. There are emergency posts if you do feel unsafe however, and a special program to be escorted at night if you ever feel unsafe or unsure about walking alone at night. It is also a lot of fun on campus with regular events on campus and outside of campus, usually in downtown Huntsville which is extremely close to the campus. It was such a convenience to be able to walk to go vote in the recent election. But, the campus tends to have a lot of uphill and downhill slopes that sometimes tend to be quite steep. This can be either a good thing or a bad thing, but it does give you killer legs as you’re walking to classes on the regular. This university also has one of the best criminal justice programs not just in Texas, but in the United States of America. However, the university does have other well-established programs for other majors, such as art majors. The university is also good about its tuition, being way less then more popular colleges and universities in the state of Texas, by a large amount. The campus has an average size, but walking to places like the gym, several food places, or classes, doesn’t feel like a huge ordeal.

Alex

I enjoyed the calm atmosphere of the place. The campus is extremely beautiful and provides the eye with plenty of natural beauty to see. The students and staff extremely friendly. The dorms are not that great but they have just recently renovated and built new ones so I am excited about that. I think that overall I will be able to enjoy my college years at such a great university and I know that I will be able to make many new friends. The field in which I wish to pursue is offered and so many other numerous majors. I think I might commit soon.

Daisy

I really enjoy going to Sam Houston! I picked this school specifically because it focuses a lot on Law Enforcement and I want hope to go into this field someday. Sometimes there are times when I become very frustrated because the school charges a lot for parking but they keep most of the parking spots zoned off which makes it difficult to find a spot at all.

Sam Houston State University is a pretty good school overall. I am lucky enough to be a part of the best Theatre Program in the state of Texas and I couldn't ask for more. There are also plenty of employment opportunities on campus if you regularly go after them.

Dennis

I enjoy attending Sam houston State, it’s really and amazing school and they offer a lot of help and opportunities. The professors are willing to be involved with the students to help assure a better learning experience and to make sure the student who is seeking help obtains the help needed.

Derek

The school atmosphere is great and the academics are great. The cafeteria (old main) food could be better but their are many great, local restaurants around the campus. As long as you have a good group of friends and get involved in activities then you'll love Sam Houston. So far all my professors have been good too.

Chelsea

Sam Houston State University is a great choice for those who want to go to a four year university, but don't want to go too far away from home. SHSU has a homey environment that makes it easy to settle down and feel confident that you will succeed. There is nothing sub-par, the professors are amazing, the classes are decently sized, and extra curriculars can be found every where you look.

Edalis

I love Sam Houston we are a very diverse university that involves everyone! Sam Houston loves to include all kinds of individuals no matter how you look or what your race is. There are also over 200 organizations that we can get involved in, there is literally a group for everyone and everything!

Dequashia

Overall Sam Houston is a really good school. The classes and professors are great and I have learned a lot. If you need tutoring, it is always available. You meet plenty of people and build connections. Hard work is required but it is totally worth it in the end.

Daniel

When I attended Sam Houston State University I fell in love with the campus. SHSU is definitely a school people should look into because of how close the community is. the arts program is very beautiful and academics is pretty high up for those competitive students.

Johnesia

It’s a wonderful school and I highly recommend this college especially for criminal justice students. Many were worried about diversity but after my visit I was no longer concerned. The dorms on the other hand can use some work, but then again there’s no place like home.

Xavier

Sam Houston is a great school that prides itself on community service. Be prepared to meet many good people while doing some sort of community service. It's a beautiful campus with a growing community. New facilities are being thought of and added with each year. Huntsville is still a little small with not much to do off campus but with more students comes more fun activities, there's a new bowling alley on campus. Plus the academics are amazing. even though we are top 3 in criminal justice, our other colleges are outstanding as well. We are noted in education and business. Also growing quickly in engineering and arts.

Priscilla

Sam Houston State University is a beautiful campus with a diverse student body. There are many organizations to be involved in. The classes are not too big and the professors really care about their students and want them to succeed. the professors are available to talk to according to their schedule. Sam Houston has amazing school spirit and everyone is always wearing SHSU apparel. Sam Houston State University is a diverse school that offers amazing opportunities to many students. It is an amazing school.

Madison

Sam Houston promotes a safe and inviting environment that makes everyone feel at home! I love the atmosphere and I can’t wait for the additions to be made. With the program I’m in, the campus supports us one hundred percent, a school that supports every last major and makes everyone feel important.

Sydney

It is an amazing school, they try so hard to help the students in any way possible.

Malakia

Sam Houston State University is a learning environment where you can do nothing but grow from the University as a whole. There are many resources available to lend students a helping hand in anything one may need help in which is also easy to access.

Ares-Jean

I love Sam! Its school colors are my favorite colors. Sam Houston it always so pretty outside and the air smells like food and pine. The people on campus are so inviting and sweet. The staff is always there when you need them and very understanding. Sam is also one of the top safest schools. The campus size isn't too big or class size. Sam Houston also has great history on the grounds. Its just a beautiful campus with wonderful people.

Chassity

Sam Houston is a safe and fun college! If I could, I'd push everyone to attend. It's really good for academics, school spirit and good vibes overall. I love my college. I love the environment it gives and also the amount of friendships we have a chance to reach out to. The campus itself is pretty amazing due to the hills and nice nature touch.

Elisia

It honestly depends on how you make of it and the people that you surround yourself with

Nichola

Sam Houston State University is a beautiful college and I am honoured to attend. They are very kind and helpful and the professors are always there for their students. It is a good place to learn and grow. I recommend that any student come here to learn.

Kasey

I feel safe and understood the system after a few days. I have fun when I socialize with the other students, and have enjoyed studying with the other students. Even though this university is near a prison, the security system here has made me feel safe as I travel to each of my different classes around campus

Elisa

My overall experience at Sam Houston State University over the course of the semester has been overall great. The campus is absolutely stunning and the professors are exceptionally well at teaching and making sure the students understand the lectures. If anyone comes to visit the campus, like I did, with an open mind, the campus itself would speak and one will feel like home. I am glad I chose Sam Houston State University.

Tariq

Sam Houston state university is a great school.

Prince

Is a good school that I will recommend for anyone who really wants to learn. Teachers are knowledgeable and students are always ready to help each other. Facilities in the school are phenomenal, new labs which helps makes student life easier when they need to do any research. There are always available when ever you need it .

Courtney

I love Sam Houston! It is an amazing school for Criminal Justice. There are so many resources provided for me, including several help centers and representatives from surrounding police departments. The professors are well-educated and very nice.

Cameron

I believe Sam Houston is a great school with a solid faculty. I rarely have classes where the professors are not willing to help students and I have found staff to be very friendly and helpful. The campus is constantly being modified to create bigger and better classrooms which is great an gives a nice balance of a modern and traditional university. I do believe parking is a huge issue and needs to be considered. There needs to be more places that are free to park, it just feels extremely greedy to make students walk a mile just because they cannot afford a $200 parking pass. Even those paying that much are now finding it difficult because of the new "Pay Per Hour" system.

SHSU is an overall great university. I'm not super involved in the extra-curricular side of things, but I've seen groups around campus having all kinds of fun! The dorm I live in is one of the original dorms from the very beginning so it is a little rough around the edges, but the newer dorms are really nice. Professors so far have been VERY helpful. Always available and really want you to succeed. Check ratemyprofessor before signing up for classes though!

zaniya

It's a pretty decent school.

Alexi

It is an amazing campus with such amazing opportunities for each and every one of their students. They offer so much for everyone and do whatever they can to make students of all races to feel welcome. It’s one big family.

Jacob

It is a great experience and I am looking forward to getting my degree. The people here are very nice and always willing to help. The professors are willing to work with you if you have any issues. Overall I have enjoyed Sam Houston and am looking forward to the years to come

Krista

Personally, I love it. The campus is beautiful, the professors are helpful, and the students are friendly. There are many things to do on campus and to get involved in outside of campus. You will never be bored, for there is always something happening.

Mikayla

I think its a great place to grow your education. The staff and other students are friendly and welcoming. Its like a home away from home and you may not want to leave. There are plenty of fun events to attend and the clubs fit any interest you may have. Also, the party and drinking scene isn't really heard of unless you look for it.

Jordan

I love Sam Houston, this was the best decision that I have made in a long time. My school makes me happy and feel free. I am very focused on my academics and I would not jeopardize my education for anything. my future is very important to me so I always make sure it is my top priority. No matter what is going on in my life at the moment I know what my responsibilities are.

Luis

A university that will impact students such myself in a positive way. The campus is such an amazing experience that you can't miss out. The teacher look very friendly and will help you if you need help in any sort of way. The food is out of this world.

Alexus

This is the third university I have attended and by far my favorite. Everyone you run into is super friendly and very helpful, whether its to help guide you around campus or to ask you how its been. There are also many different activities to keep you involved and everyone is very inviting. I am rather shy and I feel like I fit in here very well. I would strongly recommend this University to anyone!

Aileen

Really amazing school and campus. The classes offered are great and most professors do teach very well. Housing is still being upgraded so there isn’t much to worry about when choosing housing. There is many activities available daily for different organizations or just in general.

Presley

I feel that the school is one that is underestimated. Very active kids and teachers that provide helpful recourse such as tutoring or intriguing class work. There is something for everyone to do whether its a club or class. Various clubs and extra activities and many shops or businesses participate in Sam Houston events. Very active people since every day you will see students either going to class or just relaxing. Such a beautiful campus and town that isn't to big or too small, its just right.

stephanie

I have visited it twice and i absolutely love it. The students and staff are really nice and outgoing , they make sure you have all the information you need and that you don't leave without considering the school. Sam Houston university is my first choice and i hope and pray its my only choice.

Jermany

I think Sam is a great school! Of course it has its flaws, as does every institution. However, I love it. The orgs are great, especially for freshman I strongly recommend you join! The parties are fun, and there’s constantly police patrolling the area. I would refer this school to anyone! I love my PWI!!!

Chase

Very great school. Everyone is super friendly and helpful. There are lots of places to go sit outdoors or indoors to sit and study. There are also places where they make it easier to focus. Many of the places are full of students who I'm sure can help each other work through their classwork together.