Sam Houston State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Sam Houston State University

Madison

I am an incoming freshman for the fall of 2019. I have toured the campus and have interacted with staff and students. I thoroughly enjoyed what I experienced. The campus was beautiful and clean. The students were friendly and welcoming. The staff was kind and helpful. I have heard many great things from others, too.

Brittny

It’s a great school! It is on the smaller spectrum of a campus but definitely not too small. It makes classes very intimate and professors very approachable. It feels like home!

Sophia

I had to transfer schools because SHSU lacked the resources to expand on Computer Science. The school overall is good, and it is definitely affordable in comparison to most other universities, but Sam Houston State only specializes in a few big colleges when it comes to internships, general resources, and overall staff members that can help you in depth. In most STEM degree plans (other than Forensic Chemistry), you'd be lucky if you could take more than one time slot for a course, or even if said course was offered every semester. I still found a great community, and thought the campus itself was great, but if you're not in Criminal Justice, College of Business, or Education, I'd recommend looking into other schools.

I am a current student in the Criminal Justice college and my husband is an alumni. We both love our experiences at SHSU. I loved living in a small town. The professors are great, its reasonably priced, and has lots of programs to offer. I plan on continuing at Sam Houston for my Masters degree in Clinical Psychology.

Anahi

It’s a cheap school and it is a nice campus. The professors are nice and helpful. There’s also scholarship opportunities, which help out a lot. The school isn’t overwhelmingly big, it’s a good size. They also encourage students to take part in school activities.

Sydney

I love Sam Houston, it is the perfect size university for anyone who does not want to go straight into a big campus. The campus is very beautiful and friendly. The professors are very helpful, even outside of office hours. I feel that Sam Houston will properly prepare me for Veterinary school!

Taliah

Sam is a good school, however housing should be better than what it is.

Moriah

Sam Houston State University has qualified and dedicated professors, faculty, and staff. The professors make themselves available to students during and outside of office hours. Professors are eager to be used as references for graduating students. The teacher to student ratio is effective. The campus is full of foliage and has many different species of plant life. Some of the buildings are being updated or built from the ground up. The campus is ever-growing to keep up with the wants and needs of its students.

Allisen

It's a pretty great school that has a little bit of everything for everyone. The facilities, like our rec center are very nice. There are many activities throughout the week that allow students be be more involved and have fun.

Kirsten

I have just recently started attending Sam Houston, but I have visited a couple of friends throughout the years. The campus is nice, and I have not had a bad experience while there. The campus has recently done some remodeling that looks very nice and welcoming. Overall, I would say that this campus is pretty awesome and inviting. School Spirit is at a very high level, which is always fun. Professors are nice and seem pretty caring, which is not always the case.

Brisa

As a student at Sam, the college experience has been amazing! My first few weeks at Sam were a little confusing and even tiring as the campus was vast and had slopping terrain, but after my first semester ended I came to love the campus life. The students and teachers also made an impression on me as they demonstrated so much pride of their university.

Alexis

The school has a lot of friendly people. Climbing up the hills to get to certain classes in the heat is TERRIBLE! The food here is alright. The housing that I am currently living in is small, and you can practically hear anyones conversation. The professors seem really nice so far.

Alessandra

Sam Houston is a very diverse community. Ive always felt welcomed and wanted. The campus and staff as a whole are great, they are very informative and welcoming. Beautiful campus with an amazing community who only have good things to share about the university. This truly is a great school

RayJaa

Being given an opportunity to have a higher education anywhere is such a huge blessing! But given the opportunity to go to your dream school, something you’ll never forget. Sam Houston State University is such an amazing school with such an amazing opportunity to be successful, you just have to apply yourself I would not pick any other school to attention!

Nathan

The campus is beautiful. As a student in the Honors College program at SHSU, I get first pick of classes, smaller class sizes, a special dorm house, and a special community of honors students. Even if you're not in the Honors program, you still get to enjoy amazing subrural scenery with all of the comforts of urban life, great classes, a great community, and fun events and extracurriculars.

Sabrina

I think Sam Houston State University is a school where you get what you pay for. Many of the teachers care about you and how you are doing in the class; however, teachers that teach the basic classes do not care about your learning - they don't even teach in class - it's just babbling information at you. Many of the dorms on campus are outdated and small. In my dorm, you have to double dry your clothes because the dryers are as old as dinosaurs. Also, they have some dumb decoration rules an example they don't allow twinkle lights but you can have a lamp.

Alexis

Sam Houston State University is a wonderful school with an eccentric atmosphere. Walking around on campus visiting the different buildings and dorms was such a positive experience. There were people at every corner helping to guide the way and answer any questions. Everyone was super friendly and supportive in every aspect. I loved visiting and it isn’t too far away from home which is also something I love, considering how homesick I get sometimes. My parents love it and they feel very content with me wanting to go there.

Beatriz

I think Sam Houston State University is a beautiful school, and this is exactly where I want to receive my education. The history of this campus is so amazing that I want it to steer my future, and that's amazing. I can't wait until I attend this university in the fall.

Aracely

My overall opinion on Sam Houston State University is extremely incredible! I’ve learned many different things being at this school from education to society and it absolutely astonished me how socially diverse this university is. There are constant different opportunities that one can receive and it is amazing to be able to have help and advice available to you regardless the situation.

Madeline

Sam Houston is the place to be for anything related to forensic science, criminal justice, or anyting else law enforcement related. There are other fields of study there that excell such as kinesiology and teaching. The people there are extremely helpful. I have made lots of friends and can't wait to make more in such an amazing environment.

Kenlly

I like Sam Houston, it's a good school. Very good standards for the area I want to study. I like how it's not too big of a school but not too small. Its very safe and welcoming. The class sizes arent to big compared to other colleges. My cousin is currently enrolled there and he really loves it, I t think once I am officially taking classes I will feel the same.