The University of Tennessee-Knoxville Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Trey

My overall opinion is that we have a beautiful campus, and good professors, but it is easy to feel unimportant at a school this big. It occasionally feels like my opinions don't matter at all. I do like the sports culture though. Neyland Stadium is the best.

Sofia

I love it so much and would recommend others to apply or visit the university!

Cecilia

At UT, we are extremely hospitable and open to diversity. As far as academics are concerned, some classes don't result in really learning much. Alcohol and drugs are generally easily accessible. Rapes have been a concern a couple of weeks ago, but things seem to be more under control now.

Caroline

I absolutely LOVE the University of Tennessee! I'm so glad I chose to attend this school, because I honestly can't see myself anywhere else. The entire community is incredibly friendly and welcoming, and there is always something to do. UT students are so diverse and that's what makes it such a special place to be.

It is overall a good university but has room for some improvements in areas such as academics and support for the students with regards to displaying a sense of sincerity and caring. This is especially evident for the incoming freshman who are very scared and unaware of the campus culture and facility wise.

Christopher

Overall, it's a pretty nice campus. I came in desperately desiring to go out of state just because I was eager to get out of the South and live in a big city. Tennessee, while still in the Bible Belt doesn't feel like a "Southern" school. As for the city life, the city of Knoxville (and the surrounding cities too) revolve around the Volunteers. There are definitely fun things to do outside of campus like go to West Town Mall or Market Square, but if you're like me and don't have a car on campus you can find a lot to do on campus such as but not limited to: Intramural sports, going to the studio and making music/films, working out in the newly refurbished TRECS (campus rec center), and just going around campus on a walk. The cafeteria food is EXCELLENT at Stokely but 9/10 they're busy so be prepared for that. PCB has recently stepped their game up so don't be discouraged from going there. I personally recommend Southern Kitchen though. It's in the deep inside of east side of campus but it's definitely worth the walk. The restaurants are great too but dining dollars go fast so be wary of how you spend them. As for classes, I can't complain. I'm a freshman so I don't have too much experience but the teachers so far are more than fair and are definitely accessible if you really need them for anything. Overall, I'm really glad I chose to come here. It's not perfect but it's helping me make some incredible lifetime memories.

Hailee

I believe that The University of Tennessee-Knoxville is a great institution that places its priority on academic success for its students. There are an extensive amount of resources available to undergraduates as well as graduates about tutoring, scholarships, and more, which makes me feel overall confident in my choice to enroll here.

Summer

I love the school and the campus and am proud to call it my home for the next 4 years. I have met and talked to many current students and have been on many tours and I know that it is a safe environment, one which parents will be fine knowing that their children are safe.

UTK is an interesting school. It's portrayed as the classic University experience, especially because it is one of the biggest, most well known Universities in the state of Tennessee. If you're searching for the classic University experience, look no further. Up here we love our football and wearing that amazingly horrible bright orange in support. The campus is quite large and very amazing. There is the old part of campus, The Hill, which is beautiful and provides the true "wow, I'm a college student" feeling and then there are the new parts of campus that are insanely beautiful! If you're interested in Greek life we have plenty of options for you! However, if you're searching for more than the classic experience of football, Greek life, and, let's face it, partying a lot UTK is also the place for you! The Volunteer experience is so much more than just football and parties, it's a place where the future leaders and great minds come to meet. If you're interested in student government, we have it! If you're looking for a group to call your family, oh my goodness we have it! There are so many amazing organizations and clubs to join. I personally was so frightened of not finding a place to fit in, and within the first semester I found it! I play for the women's rugby team, I have job that's located on campus, and I have amazing friends. All in all, whatever you're searching for, I can almost guarantee you have a home up here on Rocky Top.

Meer

It's a great school - if you conform to their political message. If you're anything right of Al Gore, you're gonna get singled out and ostracised. I accidentally made a political comment two years ago, something that was pretty neutral even, about how letting in refugees may not be safe and no one in my major talks to me any more. The comment somehow spread, and even some of my professors are very curt or even rude to me because of my views. If you are politically neutral, right-leaning, or even a rational lefty, find another college. It's all "libtards" here, and they don't like being challenged! Great for sports, frats/sorors, and parties. Awful place to get an unbaised, fact-based edu.

Anna

The University of Tennessee is an excellent environment to be a part of. At this school there is a wide variety of clubs for students to join, teachers are always accessible through email, and everyone is very friendly. Overall the University of Tennessee is amazing and I would not think of going to any other school.

Bailee

The university of Tennessee is my home away from home. I'm so blessed to have the opportunity of attending school as great as this. Each day is surreal as there's always something going on around campus and there's always people around who care about you no matter the situation. Game days are immaculate and overwhelming but definitely the best experience of a lifetime. I wouldn't trade attending the school of my dreams for anything.

Coming to UTK as an out of state student makes it difficult to make friends. Unless you are part of a society/fraternity it makes it difficult to meet people. Although I do not wish to be around student who drink/drugs, so it makes it hard to find friends. Although joining clubs and organizations you meet a lot of people who share the same interests. There are a lot of academic choices and ways to explore your options. Also there is always some one who you can talk to about a specific degree and career.

Ty

I am eager to peruse an education at UTK in the area of engineering. The Tickle College is Engineering at UTK sets the bar high. I like the class sizes for the most part but when they are rally large, we can have mini group lectures to ensure that we are all grasping the concepts. Safety is pretty good and I feel safe.

The University of Tennessee offers opportunities for students at every corner. If students seek out help and talk to professors they are bound to get answers and/or research gigs. The campus offers tutoring and help at convenient hours to help students academically. If the student works hard and applies themselves they will get far in their academics. Needless to say the hours spent studying will be long and cumbersome, they always pay off considering the courses require thorough dedication.

hayden

This time last year, I had huge expectations of what life was going to be like as a freshman at UT. I can honestly say that all of those expectations were exceeded. I loved all my classes and professors. You always hear college professors are not like your high school teachers. They do not care if you are there or not. That is completely not true at UT. They were all so available, helpful, and encouraging. From the minute I stepped on campus, it felt like home. It is true what you read in the brochures or see in the videos. Everyone at UT is happy and friendly, and filled with the volunteer spirit. I am so grateful I chose UT.

The University of Tennessee, although not my first choice, quickly became my home away from home. There are always events going on, important people that you have the opportunity to meet, and support from faculty that goes a long way around exam time. There is a niche for everyone here, which exemplifies its growing diversity. I love being a Tennessee Vol!

Kylie

My experience at the University of Tennessee has been amazing for my first year of college. I came from Illinois to Tennessee for a knew experience that would further my education and give me memories that will last a life time. I am just finishing my first semester and I already have both of those things. I am so grateful to have all of the opportunities that my University gave to me because it has shaped who I am and will continue to shape me. It is very expensive for me to attend due to the fact that I am not a Tennessee resident, but I am doing the best I can to keep attending UT because it really is my home. I was told that wearing the power "T" will represent home and it truly does. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

Lyric

There are many great things to do on campus, as well as off, but because our campus is so big, everything comes to us. There's no need to leave campus! The dorms are a bit dated, but with the constant construction going on, you'll find somewhere you love.

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville is a good college with a lot of opportunities. However, the services and facilities provided are not worth the $31,000 you have to pay as a student for a year. The area surrounding the university is nice especially downtown but the fort is an area to avoid unless you are with a group. There is also a lot of construction going on that does not seem to benefit the student body as a whole such as the construction on roads and finding a parking space for both commuters and non-commuters is almost impossible during the week.

Dylan

I am personally not a huge fan of The University of Tennessee. My dissatisfaction probably stems from the fact that academic challenges and discussion are incredibly rare on campus. Although I definitely came to college to learn, I don't seem to be able to do much of that outside of class. I have met several students similar to myself in that we were all very competitive students in high school and feel like we are settling for The University of Tennessee. The only reason most of us came here are because of the financial aid that was offered was better than the other universities that are academically better. Something that most students learn fast is that here at UT, football definitely comes first. UT is a fine school for anyone who enjoys partying and social aspects, but if you want true academic rigor and respect from anyone else, UT is not the the university for you.

John

The University of Tennessee is a great school. The academic facilities are great. The professors are usually accessible and knowledgeable. There are lots of ways to get involved​ with things on campus even if you are not in a sorority or fraternity. I am confident that I am receiving a quality education.

Thomas

There is a huge emphasis on football, so if you hate the sport as a whole then don't come here. There's also a fairly large academic audienece, and you'll be able to find a club for pretty much any interest you have. Overall, the school is great, but would be better if it wasn't so money-grubbing.

Madison

The University of Tennessee is a large and diverse campus. There is always an opportunity to get involved on campus whether it is greek-life, art, music, sports, or almost anything you can think of. UT challenges its students academically and pushes them to do their best.

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville is a great school for students who take their studies seriously but also want a school that's lively and fun. The professors and University take a student's academic studies very seriously. The University also offers a variety of programs, clubs, and organizations for the students to chose.

Parker

I chose UT to attend next fall mainly because of who will be my peers and support system. It passes as a great school but why I chose it over other schools is to be a part of the college ministry my church sponsors in Knoxville. There are concerns I have that my classes will be taught by teaching assistants

If you are interested in a SEC school with lots of school spirit and plenty of activities to get involved in then this is the school for you. The University of Tennessee Knoxville is a beautiful campus that is only in the midst of getting even more beautiful. With the new student union about to open up and the new dorms that are being planned to be built, the school is about to get even bigger and more beautiful. There are plenty of clubs and activities for you to get involved in (including Greek life!), and the football season is to die for. The students bleed orange and white. Go Vols!

Allison

UTK is a generally clean and bright campus with an overwhelming amount of opportunities and a lot of construction. It's a Research 1 school, which means if you are interested in academic research this is the place to be. It's a huge place, but finding your niche usually happens in the first semester.

Sydney

Overall, I have nothing to complain about. I truly believe that this is the time of my life. Everyone on campus at UTK is very friendly, involved, and inclusive. In fact, just last week we had an International Fair where countries had their own booth. It was amazing. My professors are always available to me and encourage us to come to their office hours. I have had such a positive experience in Knoxville.

Andrew

I love the University of Tennessee. There are many opportunities for extra curricular activities and there is a great learning environment. So far all of my professors are readily available for assistance. It a a large campus but fells like a family community.

It is a very diverse school with thousands of opportunities to be involved and succeed. The school is student friendly and is very well-rounded. The professors are experienced and offer office hours to help any student in need. Although there may be partying on the sidelines, it is never really discussed as an issue at the University.

The University of Tennessee is an overall great place to pursue a higher level education. The professors, staff, and students are some of the most welcoming people I have ever met. There is always something going on, so there is never a dull moment. I have made many friends and am very content with my decision to attend this fine institution. I am glad to call Rocky Top home for the next three years.

Haley

I think that The University of Tennessee-Knoxville is okay. The on campus housing is not very nice, they have uncovered a mold problem this year. The education is good if you do your research beforehand and use the app Rate My Professor. The University should provide more opportunities to get involved other than Greek life. It is very expensive; therefore, not all can afford to participate.

Brianna

I love UTK so much, it has so much to offer and I always want to participate because there is tons to do. It's big, but not too big. I'm never late to class because all of the educational buildings are in fair distance to each other. The sports atmosphere her is crazy being am SEC school and it is so much fun.

Allysa

I never immersed myself in the college experience. I lived as home to save money and kept to myself outside of class. However there were a few professors I did enjoy and felt as though they genuinely cared about our education. The best experience I had was at the football games. It's an amazing culture and so much fun to be involved with!

Nathaniel

UT for the most part is a wonderful school, but there are a lot of things on campus that can be worked upon. While there's a lot of diversity on campus not too many people in the administration stand up for it and realize it themselves. Last year there was an Nazi party speaker on campus and administration did nothing about it. While it stands for freedom of speech, this type of speech can absolutely be banned on campus.

Jacqueline

I love my school! The atmosphere is so welcoming. Many people are involved in Greek life but you don't have to join in order to feel involved on campus. The teachers are great and so friendly. They always let you know their office hours and if they make any changes. I strongly agree that they are trying to help me succeed and present many opportunities for their kids. My dorm is spectacular and very new. My roommate and I control our own thermostat and have our own bathroom. People come and clean the bathroom once a week and replenish our toilet paper and trash bags, one less expense. RA's make you feel so welcome on campus and they are like the big sibling you need once you move away from home. They always have social activities planned at least twice a month to get you involved. Sometimes it's movie night and other times it is going to a fitness class. Overall, I love UT and can't wait to complete my college education here.

Hanna

The academics are vigorous, and I have loved my professors. The campus is beautiful and spacious, and there are an abundance of extracurricular activities and adventures. The dorms and food are also great, but alcohol, drugs, and safety on campus are still a concern.

Joshua

I have really enjoyed my first year at the University of Tennessee. The sports environment is amazing which is great because I am a sports management major and we have one of the best programs in the nation. You get a lot of hands on experience and the faculty in the sports management department are accessible and will help you the best they can.

Lauryn

I love the University! I come from pretty far away and I have been able to get involved and join lots of organizations. I have been able to make great relationships with my peers and professors. Professors do genuinely care about the students which are​ really nice considering high school told us that they wouldn't. I am very happy with my choice at UT.

Annette

The University of Tennessee at Knoxville is one of the best schools in Tennessee. Of course, we have competition such as; ETSU, MTSU, UT-C, Vanderbilt and more. The University of Tennessee is at the top of the food chain though. The campus life here is amazing. Everyone talks to everyone and it is a very social campus. On our pedestrian walkway we there are always events happening. Just in this first semester, we have had international festival and an Arab festival. There are obviously plenty more to come. Honestly, the dorm life is a struggle sometimes, but it gives you the college experience. The professors are perfect. They know how to make the lecture fun while you still learn a lot. Going from high school teachers to college professors is obviously a hard transition, but the professors here made it easy. There are a lot of students here who participate in the sorority and fraternity life. It is a big part of this school. Football is also a HUGE deal here. Every Saturday when there is a home game you will not see a single color other than orange on campus. All in all the University of Tennessee should be ranked in the top 50 best schools in the nation.

Dagmawit

UTK is a great school because of its resources and the many options that it provides for students. However, it is still trying to move past its homophobic environment. There are people who are always ready to listen to you and counselors who are always available to listen to you. The career development and student success centers help students find work-studies, free tutors, and help you find work during and after your time at UTK. The many programs and internships available are the reason why it is such a great place for opportunity.

Brianna

I love it here! This was my top choice and I love my professors! They are always there to help and UT offers plenty of resources outside and inside of class such as office hours, tutoring in many places, and the teachers will stay after to talk to you about concerns you may have. The food is OK, I wish it was better, but they offer pretty good meal plans. The Walmart is literally a block from my dorm and I have the time of my life with my friends here at UT! I recommend UT to anyone who is a Vols fan because the football games are AMAZING!!!!

Scarlett

The University of Tennessee is not only a fresh start for me, but it is a safe place. Ever since I was a kid I have been going to UTK for events and games with my family. Each visit is unique and never like the last. The constant theme people share is their love for the big orange country. Coming from out of state, a big plus for me is that I don’t know anyone there. My whole life has been in a small suburb just outside of Louisville, Kentucky where everyone knows everyone. Being able to go away for a weekend is a wonderful escape. Walking through stores like VolShop I have held pleasant conversations with complete strangers, a rare occurrence for a Louisvillian. Granted I have yet to take classes, I have had the pleasure of meeting faculty and staff. The Dean of Communications (Michael Wirth), Head of Undergraduate of Admissions (D’Aloisio Fabrizio), and Clayton Alexander (Associate Director, Regional Freshman Recruitment). My overall opinion of The University of Tennessee is that it is a campus committed to helping students find their best version of themselves. They want each day to be different and special for every individual on campus. No matter what time of day it is I have always felt safe. There are light posts following sidewalks to school buildings and dorms, as well as safety posts if there is any cumbersome situation. The life of campus is held by the students, we decide what situations and people to associate ourselves with and every action has a reaction to it. At the end of the day, not every student attending this university would agree with my opinion. Some might not like campus life or classes. I recognize that since I have yet to attend in the fall, my opinion could change as well. But I am open minded to keeping a positive outlook on my college choice.

When I first began applying to colleges, I was actually scared to apply to the University of Tennessee: Knoxville. Growing up not far from the school’s campus in a nearby city, I knew that the school campus was large and that football was a major focus of the school. Despite my fears of ever getting lost on such a large campus, I applied to the university and it has been one of the best decisions I have made. Although the campus is large, I have yet to get lost. The campus also has emergency call posts set up all over campus which makes me feel much safer when I have to walk to my car after taking an evening class. When it comes to dining, the food choices are great! There is definitely a variety of food choices that are offered, although I do wish there were healthier food options and dining available on campus. Most of the professors are available to help outside of class time, which leads to better success (at least for me personally). The University of Tennessee may receive the most recognition for its sports, especially football, yet there is so much more that it offers besides sports that are worth speaking about. It is a place to let your voice be heard, but more importantly it is a place of diversity. Walking around campus, you can meet so many people from so many different places in the world and learn about their cultures. Beyond that, the thing I love most about the university is that they prepare you for your future career by opening doors for experiences and opportunities relevant to your career field. There are always opportunities to volunteer, join a club or society, study abroad, or even participate in an internship, and they make sure that everyone has the chance to be informed about those opportunities. They genuinely care about preparing students for their future careers, and work to make sure students get the experiences they need before ever applying for their dream job, and that is what is worth speaking about when talking about the University of Tennessee: Knoxville.

I love going to college here. There are so many friendly people and opportunities to get involved, and they aren't hard to find. We love our Vols and gameday is a big deal for basketball or football, but academics are taken seriously and the library is always open and ready to be utilized. There is something on this campus for everyone no matter who you are.

Caleigh

The University of Tennessee has a very beautiful campus. The people are extremely friendly and very helpful too. The staff and advisers made the process easy, as well as understandable. There are so many activities to do and clubs too join. I do not believe boredom will ever be a problem. I am excited to start college there in the fall.

Dontavious

I love it here! I am an out of state student and I have found it very easy to adapt to the environment. The academic culture at UT is very inviting and the class sizes make it easy to learn. The staff really take pride in ensuring they meet any needs that the students may have.

The University of Tennessee needs a lot of development within the administration. The current administration cares a lot about what the state legislation wants and ignores the voices of the students on campus - especially minorities. Students are not able to be taken seriously and their voices are always overshadowed by those in power.

Jesus

The University of Tennessee is overall an excellent school and I'm glad I chose to attend this University. The atmosphere here is welcoming and comfortable especially in the beginning of the school year. The campus is very pretty and has several resources. With new buildings like the new student union, the university has included fun and intellectual resources for students.