Machias, ME
University of Maine at Machias

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maine at Machias

Massaran

It’s a good school in a nice college town, there are plenty of things to do on and off campus, many of the local shops are open every day. The school has two halls for students to stay in which creates a closer knit community within the school. It does have fewer majors but if you know what you want to do for a major and they have it I would highly recommend them. It’s a smaller school which is easier to navigate.

afadsfsadg

I loved this school until I lived here for a longer period of time. Sexual assault is very common at this school and very seldom are appropriate consequences given. However, people get kicked out for smoking weed in the dorms so you wont have to worry about that!

Kim

Great place to learn.

Great place to learn.

The first thing I'll say is that the food is not good. The "international" section is pretty good sometimes, but everything else's quality is lower than general fast food. The rooms are pretty good on campus, but off campus most people just life at home. Most of the teachers are alright, some aren't that good though. Other than the school, which is on the main road, there are almost no big stores in the town. Also, there's only the main road to find anything.

Rhyanna

I love it here. I honestly would never go to another university, here feels like home and family. I'm learning so much everyday, my professors are wonderful, creative, and innovative. Everyone is open-minded and kind and I really enjoy my time here so far. I'm confident I'll be able to achieve my goal and dreams by completing my education here.

alyssa

I would tell myself to take college classes at the community college in town, instead of taking AP courses. They are more likely to transfer than AP credits and go by your total grade in the class not just the big test at the end of the year. Also to really consider looking for more scholarships because taking out three different loans per year is going to be hard to pay back just for undergrad school. Then there will be more loans for graduate school. Also to pick your major wisely the one I am in now takes 5 years to complete instead of the traditional 4 years. Back to the college classes, they will save you a lot of money in the long run, and will boost up your college application.

Anyone who likes the city shouldn't attend this school. The closest city is Bangor, about two hours away. It is definetly a country setting.

I qualify for work study from the FASFA, but my school does not have enough funding for work study. There are only a handful of students here that actually get work study. There are not many places near the college to get a job with out having a car either.

Mohamedkheir

The university that I'm going to right now helped me in so many way and whenever your having a problem there is always people trying to help you.

The worst thing about my school might be the food sometime because eating the same food over and over can sometime be the worst thing.

I have become friends with great people. The people have been very helpful and supportive there. The facualty in the Education program are great. Being in the classroom has been amazing and I have learned so much from being in the classroom immediately. Most school do not put you into your field right away, but this college did and I think it was an amazing thing to do. I always learn something new in my classes and always teach it to others, it really is a good school.

A person from a big city. The town is very small and there are not many places to shop.

It is close to my hometown. The people are very friendly and the ocean is very beautiful.

Katherine

My school is a small and personal educational community.

My school is a small and personal educational community.

I would tell myself not to worry. Everything works out. The transition is easier than you think, but don't be afraid to get homesick. It will be hard but you can do it. College is fun but you're there for education, not just to have fun. Focus and work hard form the start so you don't have to make up for it later on. The study habits are different than high school. You will make good friends and people will feel like family. It goes by fast so have fun and dont take anything for granted.

I wish i had known how much stuff to bring. I brought way too much! I also wish I knew what I was in for, academically. College is a lot different than high school, especially when it comes to study habits. I wish my high school prepared me better academically for college.

Meghan

My scholl was very hands on in my major (marine biology) with courses starting with the first semester. The other school I looked at did not offer these courses until junior or senior years. I took two field oriented classes first semester and have taken many others since then. It is possible for students to have internships or co-ops in their major after freshman year and some majors require it. The professors took an interest to get to know you right away and there was never the impression of becoming just a number.

I would tell myself to study more and make a plan for productive studying. I was placed on academic probation after my freshman year and reccently got off three semesters later. This was a long process that involved appealing an academic suspension following my second semester or probation. I started college still using my high school study habbits and time limits, which I now know don't lead to success in college courses. Studying sitting on the bed, watching the television, with a roomate in the room may be studying but the material will not be stored properly and are forgotten by the time it is needed again. College courses require many hours of outside reading, reviewing of notes, and studying exams. During my freshman year, I continued to study a for a couple of hours the night before a test and hope to do well. I would do assingments the night before they were due, including a six page paper, even though I had known them about the begining of the semester. I do not regret the choices I made because they have helped mold me into a better student, however it was not the best path to follow.

Our financial aid department is terrible. They have office hours that are very inconvient for students because they are only open 1-5, which is when many students have lab or back to back classes. The business office and financial aid are on separate floors so getting the situation fixed may involve a workout. Organization and lack of communication are major issues. Papers get lost or not sent until it is too late and e-mails are answered when they feel like it. Even if the mistake is theirs, responsibility for the problem will always be placed on the student.

University of Maine at Machias administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.