University of Maine Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Maine

Tom

The University of Maine is overall a good university. The on-campus dorms are nice depending on the dorm hall you live in, but it's not the best. The RAs there are nice and encourage you to do well in school. While there is a big party scene at the university it's only there if you look for it. If you go to the University of Maine you won't regret anything it's a good school with nice people.

Theressa

Personally, I have always been extremely fond of the University of Maine. It is at once both large enough to "technically" get lost if you don't know your way, and small enough to retain a small town feel that I have always known and loved. The students take the time to know you and there is not a day that goes by that I don't see someone doing something for someone purely out of the kindness of their own hearts.... or it's just being polite. Eh same thing. The community atmosphere is unlike anything you can find anywhere else. And I am very proud to call myself a Black Bear.

Hattie

I chose the University of Maine without ever visiting and I am completely happy with my choice. There are always going to be issues with any college and UMaine is no different but there is always something to do and new people to meet. This is a great college for people who love the outdoors and if you don't, don't worry, you'll learn to.

Alec

I've known that I would attend UMaine for years. My mom graduated from this school and I have always been a fan of the Men's Ice Hockey team since I was very young. I have enjoyed my 3 years here at UMaine. I have made a lot of close relationships with new friends as well as professors.

Roger

The University of Maine has great programs for all of the majors it offers, great facilities for students. The biggest problem I faced was trying to find something to do in my free time. The University doesn't offer much and when they do not many students don't know about it.

Luke

I think the University of Maine can be a great school for many students. Obviously academics are what you make of them, but the university provides many ways to better yourself as a student. There are almost unlimited resources in the library as well. Also, the university has so many activities available that there is always something to do.

Alex

It's a really nice school, the teachers understand you and everyone is incredibly accepting. It is far more accepting of a community than high school ever was. There are many groups on campus to be able to get involved with, from Greek Life all the way to a Hammock Club! There is something here for everyone to be involved with, even if you think your interests may be a little far fetched.

Thomas

During my four years attending the University of Maine in Orono, I have found no shortage of things to do. Between the presence of Greek life on campus, the rapidly expanding amount of student groups and organizations and academic opportunities, there is always something to do!

It's an okay school, the classes and curriculum are very good and the school spirit is amazing! The spots or spirit days are very great. The offices are horrible though, housing, bursars, financial aid, and even student help are not very helpful. They fight you tooth and claw to get anything done. UMO is a great school if not for the offices that run it.

University Of Maine is a great place to be. The campus is small and easy to navigate around to find your classes. There is always things to do, along with being close to nearby towns for local shopping. Also, security on campus is always around to make you feel safe.

Jasmine

I love attending the University of Maine. Everything from my residence hall, to my classes, to the new people I have met, I love living and learning on campus. There is always help to be found when you are struggling, tutors visit the residence halls weekly if what you are getting from class is not enough. The University of Maine offers a diverse selection of courses, if there is something you want to learn about there is a way to learn about it on campus. Outside of academics the university has a large library, a beautiful student union, two gyms, an astronomy center and so much more. There is always something to do.

The University of Maine is a very tight knit community with so much to do, it's almost overwhelming. The small town of Orono has some dives and bars for nights off; enough for a different restaurant each night of the week. Dining is excellent, food is healthy and tasty. Overall, and very good school.

Katarina

It is fine but generally kinda sucks. You really only come here if you want to skate by and party or become an expert in some science field. The dining halls are sub-par and there are no on-campus restaurants or food services like Starbucks, chipotle, etc. There is hardly any diversity and all there is to do on weekends is get drunk at parties.

Brandon

From visiting the college at accepted students day and freshman orientation, I can say that the school is fantastic. The staff are professional and always around and easily accessible for questions. The students there are bright, cheery, and very welcoming and fun to be around. All in all, it is a great school from what I can see.

It is a good academic institution, but the quality of education depends substantially on the department you are in. The engineering and business schools, for instance, have great professors and there is a variety of possibilities for students to get involved. In departments such as psychology, however, funding is very limited, thus employment opportunities are almost not existent, and the quality of academics could be improved.

Nola

I wouldn’t go anywhere else. It’s an awesome school, nearby, and everyone’s friendly. Almost all of my professors have been really helpful and Ive enjoyed a lot of my classes. I think they could update some of the buildings, seeing as their all old, but other than that, everything is good

Gabrielle

The University of Maine is like its own little community. I felt at home right when I arrived on welcome weekend. Every time I go back home I immediately miss my "home" on campus. There is a little something for everyone on campus. We are just a few minutes from the city. I am so glad I made the choice to go to UMaine.

Sage

I absolutely love it!!!

It has been okay, pretty cold and snowy in the winter. Driving on campus is very bad, lots of potholes and tiny streets. Parking is even worse I think half the school has been ticketed. The place is a ​mess in the winter when it comes to walking to class, snow days do not happen often. It is kinda a big party school

Minea

It’s a great school!

Sam

From Pennsylvania it was a big culture shock. It is a force when you have to go outside in the winter considering when it is 0 degrees out it is considered a nice day. This school attracts many kids from my with advertisement of the vast outdoor activities that can always keep you active. That's a lie. In the winters everyone is stuck inside forming an obscene drug culture. This causes greek life to be a huge part of campus. Although I have many friends in frats I will note that the hazing is out of control. I can see why this school is appealing to people but if you are from out of state you must prepare yourself for the isolation and winters.

Susan

The University of Maine is where I am going to get my first Bachelors of University Studies Degree. Returning to college at age 56 was a little overwhelming but everyone from the janitor to the dean has been eager to help ease me into my new role as a student. The university was founded in 1865, the University of Maine is a land, sea, and space grant institution, and the flagship campus of the University of Maine System. Located in Orono along the banks of the Stillwater River, this vibrant and dynamic university serves Maine, the nation, and the world through its teaching, research, and outreach mission. I drive an hour and 7 minutes each way to attend college and it is worth every second that I spend in the car. I know that I am getting a world-class education from professors that care about me and not just academically. I hold a very high opinion and am proud to be a student in the Life Long Learning program working towards a Bachelor of University Studies. Go Black Bears!

Dana

In my opinion, the University of Maine is a great school. The academic programs are engaging and super interesting. The majority of the professors in the courses I have taken have been extremely motivating and helpful in times of assistance. Of course, every college has professors who students think aren't so great, but at UMaine those are far and few between. Usually the professors will have TAs in their lectures or recitations who provide extra help to those who need it, something I found very helpful during classes. Professors are always available through email and are very flexible in setting up meeting times for extra help or anything else you might need. The on-campus resources are also great, especially the library. I spend so much time in the library because it's a great place to get work done. They provide comfy chairs with swing desks, or regular tables and chairs. They have a great printing room and even a cafe open if you need to get a quick snack or drink! The food is average, but I still find myself at the dining hall every day for the meals I do enjoy eating.

James

My experience at UMaine has been an interesting one. Sometimes it seems like the University cares too much about its students, like a helicopter parent; and other times it seems like they don't care about you at all as long as you're paying the tuition. UMaine should definitely not be compared to other flagship schools like Penn State or Alabama, rather a smaller school like Rowan.

Tommas

If you are a homosexual, bisexual, transvestite, lesbian, this is the place for you. I got my cock sucked by 10 different guys the first week. Eight male teachers invited me over for some weed and mutual masturbation then we both took a shower together.

Aashish

The university is overall a great experience. The people are very nice and professors are always willing to help. Even private tutors are available for students struggling with a subject. College is extremely popular for its engineering field and natural resources field which does not fail to make it mark. I' currently a forestry major in UMaine and it is a great college overall.

Shannon

The University of Maine is a very welcoming community. At freshman orientation, you are greeted with the "Hearty Maine Hello" and are made to feel a part of the student body immediately. Be prepared for a long, cold winter, but that just means more time for skiing! Umaine, in my opinion, is best for natural sciences and engineering.

Jared

I absolutely love this university. I am from Northeast Pensylvania and feel right at home here in Orono, Maine. I love the state school feel, but also the feel of a smaller college. If you are a nature lover this is the place for you! Acadia national park is a forty minute drive from campus, and the skiing opportunities are endless! one thing that is a downside is its Greek life. It is very influential in the social scene of the University. As noted above if your not Greek you're a geek!

Abigayle

I love my program and the professors are amazing but it's incredibly difficult to be an out of state student and you can really care that they only care about the extra money and not us? Additionally, there are no adequate physical or mental health services available on the campus, and throughout the COVID-19 crisis we have scarcely received information from our school, major updates had to be learned from press releases given to local news sources instead of direct communication to the students.

Alyssa

I personally really enjoy UMaine. I’m not in Greek Life, or politically active at all, but I’ve still managed to find people who I can thrive with. Most of the professors are pretty decent, although a vast majority of them haven’t updated their webpages in six years, so it’s difficult to tell when their office hours are if you somehow lost your syllabus. I’d say that the dorms are decently nice. Some buildings are definitely nicer than others (Kennebec is nicer than Somerset and Hart, but not as nice as Colvin or Balentine). The rec center on campus is really nice, and has all new equipment that’s been purchased within the last four years, so that’s excellent. Academics are a really mixed bag, and depend pretty much exclusively on your professor and their personal policy. But, overall, I’d give UMaine a solid 8 out of 10.

The University of Maine at Orono appears to be a very welcoming envrionment where students can live on a beautiful campus, make friends with people from various programs and lifestyles, attend focused and enriching classes, and be provided with an abundance of opportunities in athletics, clubs, study abroad programs, tutor programs, and graduate programs, providing the student with a comprehensive college experience.

Umaine is a great school with diverse education programs and a diverse student body. It’s also located in Orono Maine, which is small enough that you feel safe to walk to your car, but big enough that you can find something to do. It is also located near Bangor which is a small city that’s about a ten minute drive.

Kaitlyn

I enjoy the University of Maine, however, I have struggled to make connections with other students and form relationships. I do not blame that on the school as the University is for academics and future opportunities. I give an overall rating of a four-star because I have enjoyed my time at the University of Maine, so far.

MacKenzie

Overall I love the University of Maine. My experience here over my first year has been amazing from the academics to the intense hockey games. However, safety on campus could be improved. There is little lighting for such a big campus. I love UMaine, and I can't wait to go back again this fall.

Peyton

I love the University of Maine and I couldn't imagine going to school any other place. There are so many different and vast opportunities for anything you can think of. There are clubs for everything, always a teacher or advisor there to help you do what you need, and so many opportunities to meet new people from so many walks of life. Student life is so much fun.