University of Maryland-Baltimore County Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Maryland-Baltimore County

Stefany

The professors are extremely supportive and excellent in their scholarship of profession. I attend the USG campus shady grove For UMBC

Madison

I believe that this will be my final stop after community college. Everyone was amicable! It feels like a home away from home!

Lee Anl

University of Maryland-Baltimore County is a wonderful school if you are a STEM major, the academics are exceptional in focusing on areas of the biological sciences. Although the campus is not as big and it is a commuter school, the sense of community is warm and friendly. The environment is welcoming, the school has a combination of great academics and a good sense of a community.

Peter

UMBC is a wonderful school in a somewhat quiet Baltimore County area. At times we can have fun; however, the students here are also driven to success and the president of UMBC is known to make himself accessible. He roams around the campus and ensures everything is operating as it should be and is a very inspiring individual.

Serena

UMBC is a great school if you want to excel in your academics. There are plenty of opportunities to participate in religious, athletic, political, academic and cultural extra curricular activities. Do not count on UMBC to be a party school; it most definitely is not one. Despite this lack of partying, the students still manage to have fun and be engaged both academically and socially.

aser

UMBC's uniqueness lies in being not unique at all. It is very challenging to earn good grades. Minorities in UMBC are pretty much the majority. There are a lot of interesting clubs and sororities. There are cops everywhere to ensure student's safety.

Milan

Currently I am Aa highschool senior that has came to some of the functions. One of the functions I attended was the Meyerhoff Scholars Weekend. THis was fun, inclussive, and very encourging to new students. From a more day to day aspect, the campus looks very clean and nice. The cafiteria I ate at did not have a ton of variety of food but it was still yummy!

All of the classes are insanely difficult, the on-campus housing is repulsive (and very pricey), the food is usually bad, and the social life is poor. It's very common to be in a class that only gives its students a week between the last normal exam of the semester and the final exam. The professors are tenured and (generally) don't care about the students. There's usually only one professor that teaches certain required courses (like CHEM 101) and usually, those professors are horrible and the administration doesn't listen to students' opinions regarding these professors. UMBC also sneaks a $600.00 charge into tuition fees for their events center. Parking is horrible (there's only one parking garage for 13,000+ students) and if you don't get to campus before 8:00am you have to walk very far to get to class. UMBC is an Ivy League wannabee--the administration is trying to gain the same level of respect as an Ivy League school by making their courses extremely difficult and using their students to get to that point. Bottom line: PLEASE don't make the same mistake I made, go anywhere but here and save yourself from a world of hurt.

I am a transfer student, and so far I love the atmosphere on the main campus. I live 30 miles away and I haven't had the chance to take classes in Catonsville yet, but when that times comes, I will not hesitate to get into different clubs and organizations, socialize with my classmates, go to the games, and so forth. I really love UMBC.

Sarvesh

I appreciate all the opportunities that the University has provided me. All the students and professors are extremely helpful, and are on a lookout for you for your well being. I wasn't doing very well in my other school, but UMBC gave me an opportunity. Now I have excelled in my academic, and will prove that their decision to accept me as a transfer student was wise.

Angelina

UMBC is advertised as an Honors University and boasts its STEM majors with pride. There are many opportunities to get involved in campus and in the community, as there are over 200 clubs and organizations on campus which are showcased every Fall and Spring at the Involvement Fest. The room and board options on campus are lacking and the off campus environment is not the safest, so students are encouraged to live on campus, which is not the most economically friendly for a college student. Overall, the school is pretty good but there are definitely improvements that could be made to make it a better environment to promote student success and happiness.

Tiffany

At the University of Maryland Baltimore County(UMBC), academics are very important. One would probably find more students at the library than at a soccer game. However, sports are on the rise on campus. UMBC is a huge science school, but students in other departments, like the arts and political science, do very well. Overall UMBC is a great school and is very diverse but is not for everyone.

April

UMBC is what you make it. There's plenty of resources and opportunities to get involved. I joined student organizations, worked on campus, and lived on a Living Learning Community floor. It's a small school so you'll see familiar faces a lot, but not so small that I didn't see a new face every day.

Charles

Wonderful University! This college is filled with many opportunities and keeps a close network with the alumni and the teachers. Getting internship/job opportunities is not a problem at all. I already have three internships set up and I'm only a freshman!

Kelly

UMBC earned three stars in my academic and personal experiences because certain academic departments lack in proper classroom instruction and guidance; campus life attempts to be lively but ultimately does not attract students; and campus safety, especially for women, has come to an all time low with its recent controversy with campus police and sexual assault. Overall, this school could use their money more wisely, instead of constructing unnecessary buildings like the Event Center (which still does not accommodate an entire graduating class for convocation like it was supposed to). Support its neglectful academic departments instead of bolstering only STEM majors and fields. Humanities and liberal arts matter too, but the President of UMBC does not seem to care.

Jade

UMBC is a school for those invested in their education, and there are limited opportunities for sports, though our basketball team has been doing well. The introductory classes to a subject tend to be very large, say BIO 101 and the like, but most classes after that vary, anywhere to as small as 15 students, to as large as 200. The majority of students seem to be into STEM, and a lot of the opportunities focus on that. While this is the case, there are quite a few opportunities for other majors as well. They push graduate school, and even higher education. Overall, a good school.

Stephen

UMBC has a very nice and perfect size campus, it's not to big where you feel like you are a tiny person in a big world and it's not to small. The campus has plenty of nature which gives me a fresh breath of fresh air every time I arrive there. The teachers and staff are always nice. You always feel safe on campus. My only complaint is that there is not a lot of places close to the area that you can go to.

Stephen

I like the school. Its a nice split of quiet and lively. The weekends are relaxing and very calm, and the people are campus are very friendly. The campus itself is stunning. I do wish some of the professors would try harder as I do feel some classes do not get the same experience. Some students suffer because of a specific professors teaching style. Regardless, the academics program is still excellent, and we have plenty of extracurriculars. Overall I like the school.

Randy

Feels almost like a community college, plenty to do but you have to want to do it.

Stanley

UMBC is a medium sized public school with a small school feel and a focus on STEM. It's definitely not a party school, but that's not to say it's a dead campus. There's usually something happening on the weekends, whether it be a concert, club-sponsored event, or school hosted one and if you talk to the right people, you can find a party or two. The student body is focused on academics and tends to be more introverted and reserved. People call it a commuter college, but it really only feels that way if the only thing you do is go to class, get your degree and graduate. Overall, UMBC is a great school for academics, but lacks some school spirit and student body participation.

R

It's a great place to get an education.

Madison

I really enjoyed my time at UMBC. I’ll admit that at first I wasn’t thrilled about attending because I’d heard rumors of how the school was rather boring and extremely studious, but I managed to make some of my best friends there. I loved my psychology classes and learned so much. There were number of professors that made me feel excited to learn and I was grateful for that. I was lucky enough to be apart of the UMBC Dance Team my freshman year, but unfortunately I couldn’t continue throughout my entire undergraduate career because the team was rather strict about weight and appearance. Myself and other dance team members were threatened to be sat out of games because our stomachs weren’t as thin as our other teammates. Although I am passionate about dancing, I felt that I couldn’t associate myself with a team that doesn’t value talent over appearance. I was still able to dance at UMBC because they held Zumba classes everyday. A great thing about UMBC is that their class sizes weren’t huge, and there was always opportunity to create study groups. I took classes with many familiar faces throughout my years there so it was easy for us to just get together and study for our exams. For UMBC being such a small university, they did a great job instilling school spirit in its students and holding activities and events people actually wanted to go to. I’m happy with my decision to attend UMBC, and many days I wish I was still enrolled there. I think it’s a great university to attend!

Kimberly

It’s a great school that has all my interests.

Nicole Marie

Having just finished my first year, I'm quite satisfied with the university. It's not too heavy on the party scene, so academics are still prioritized. I'm getting a good education with a wide range of organizations, fraternities/sororities, clubs, sports, and other extracurriculars that all are welcome to.

Mubassira

University of Maryland-Baltimore County is extremely beautiful and vastly filled with opportunities! I’ve applied here so we know it’s for a grand reason. The campus, the atmosphere is lush. I know that it would feel like a dream school to me. There’s a lot of amenities for students!

Elle

I transferred to UMBC from a top tier elite liberal arts college due to a medical emergency. I was looking for an inclusive campus with a reputation for diversity and academics. I found what I was looking for at UMBC. I was immediately drawn into the welcoming campus atmosphere. I thought that I could start fresh there and really be my best person at UMBC. I worked one-on-one with my German and linguistics professor, who later became my lifelong friend. I met bright and motivated students who also went on to be lifelong friends. I immediately joined a living learning community which allowed me to immerse myself in the German language 24/7. The floor shared rooms with other communities - this is a great option if you are interested in an intellectual and fun environment. The people you meet at UMBC tend to study the sciences, and were stunned when I told them I took German. It didn't matter. You will find your niche while you are here. It is true that the campus empties out over the weekends but just make friends with the people who remain in the residences. I went to D.C., Baltimore, and the surrounding area on numerous occasions with friends who had cars. I suffered with Bipolar and found great medical support on campus. It was a life-changer. It comes as no surprise that I went on to get accepted to prestigious programs after graduation. The Shriver Center even connected me with the best internship. What used to be known as a little - known college in Maryland now has international attention as Gates Cambridge and even Rhodes Scholar recipients are being recognized. UMBC is its own university and needs no comparison to College Park. I originally went here for the academics, value, and diversity, and graduated with so much more!

Cheryl

I'm a non-conventional student. So I'm not looking at the dating scene. I've been to a lot of other schools over a very long time. This school has a lot of programs (though not in psychology). The professors are generally lazy and easy. Some departments are troubled, others seem to run smoothly. I've not run into many good professors. Some are friendly and a pleasure to be in their class. But learning is not something the school focuses on. Show up, you're pretty much guaranteed a 3.0. Do ANY work and you'll probably maintain a 3.5 (some professors might try to grade you honestly, but its one in 20 or so). They're rated on how well you do, so there's not a lot of attention paid to actual learning. Just grading (some schools are a bit tougher). There are a good percentage of professors that have no right being on podium. Ask anyone about Slowakowski or Sonnendschein. They're just horrible, and you're guaranteed to have about one of those type per semester. My friends and I struggled to list 3 professors we'd take again. I don't know if there's anything better in higher education right now, but this is really not a stand out. Oh- good example of how they coddle the students. The school only allows papers in "writing intensive classes". Even then, a paper is 10-12 pages max. Students leave this school functionally illiterate. Go ahead, look into their "writing intensive" program. Its ludicrous. The current president is also a bit of an idealistic loony. I've taken the opportunity to meet with him on a couple occasions. His head is in the clouds. Maybe a bit of cognitive decline. He's very suggestible. Always gunning for dollars from any buzz word or fad. It seems that the biology program is pretty good. But its all up to you. Upside down classroom (flipped classroom) one of the president's ideas. Let the students teach themselves. We'll just collect the money! Great idea for a bunch of lazy professors.

Victoria

For what you are paying, UMBC is not worth it. The selection of classes are awful, with many needed classes only being taught by incompetent teachers. The worst part of the school is that they are NOT veteran friendly and are constantly looking at ways to make money off of you. An example, none of your military credits will be applied to your degree. The only positive to going to this school would be that you get free parking (however good luck finding any... you get what you pay for). I would suggest going to a community college before going here. I really don't see the worth in this school and if I could go back in time, I would have chosen differently :(

Mati

UMBC is a wonderful school with a very friendly community environment. There are several ways a student can get involved with campus life and find what truly interests them. The professors provide their students with the help they need to understand the course materials.

Chelece

University of Maryland, Baltimore County(UMBC) is a pretty great institution. It is so diverse and the community is filled with only the nicest and greatest students. The teachers, staff, and faculty are very nice and are genuinely concerned for the success of their students. They provide the best resources for the students. UMBC is an Honors University, so the students are so intelligent and has the potential to make differences in the world. This is seen as students run the 200 plus clubs and organizations for everyone to take part in. There is literally something for every single person. The community is big, but feels so small. It has a homey feel and you feel like you belong. UMBC is the best.

Lucia

This University has a strong academic program in the sciences as well as for engineering. It's a hidden gem that is affordable but is a still great place to attend. It's focus on STEM careers has allowed me to chose this school for my future education. Go retrievers!!

Kaitlyn

I think the University of Maryland-Baltimore County is a great campus where students are not only focused on their academics, but have the opportunity to be involved in recreational activities, sororities/fraternities, clubs, interships and many more.