University of Utah Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Utah

Sadie

I am about to go into the University of Utah and am extremely excited for the campus life. My housing is beautiful and very well kept. Overall I am excited to be going to college in the Fall of 2019. Some concerns I have include the size of the campus as I have been there a couple of times and seems rather easy to get lost on. I am as well taking my emotional support animal on campus and I seem to be rather concerned about walking him at night on the size of the campus, as I can get lost rather easily.

I have so far, enjoyed my experience at the University of Utah. I have made new friends and have been provided with numerous student organizations. I was given a helping hand because of this 1st generation program I have been apart of which is called Beacon scholars. This program has provided me with everything I will or would need for college I have a huge support system within the program. This program is the reason why I feel like I belong at the university despite being a person of color who is also a 1st generation student.

I love the University of Utah. It's a place where I go because I feel like I learn so much and I'm surrounded by people that take their education seriously. I feel like there when I'm in need whether it be academically, financially, or socially, there's always someone who can help me. There's so many clubs and associations to be apart of and many opportunities to make great friends. It has a great atmosphere overall and I think everyone that goes there will love it.

I love the University of Utah! It is an R1 research institution with award winning, passionate professors. There are so many opportunities regardless your major, interests, or background. This university has something for everyone; I'm so happy to be learning at this diverse, caring school.

Serenity

The University of Utah is the best decision I ever made! The teachers really care about you understanding the material, the students are friendly, the school itself offers so many opportunities for studying or having fun. This school is created for any type of student and is willing to help you with anything. Go Utes!

Subin

I love the cultural and academic diversity and opportunities that is offered to the students of the U of U. There are a lot of great extracurricular program and academic programs where students and faculty staff members are usually all so inclusive and kind. As an international student, I love the diversity that I am in and where I do not feel discriminated and left alone.

Katarina

The University of Utah is a place to fill your bucket up with a little bit of everything. The academic programs are phenomenal, with educated professors who are passionate about learning and you. The campus has five hospitals and twelve community clinics allowing every medical student to soak up every opportunity for more learning. The school is a part of the PAC12 hosting packed football games, once causing a small earthquake to register. Don’t forget to attend the intense women’s gymnastics meets as they have qualified for 43-straight national championships. Chapel Glen housed the Olympic Athletes in 2002 and is now part of the many on-campus housing residences. The campus is just minutes away from downtown Salt Lake, a thriving city with tall buildings, great restaurants, and walking trails. Only a few minutes’ drive down the hill is the state capital. Within an hour there are at least seven world class ski resorts. So within one’s stay attending the University of Utah, they can experience it all.

Sam

The University of Utah (The U) is by far the best higher learning institution I have ever visited and that is why I attend. The U offers what other schools do not. At the U, you can pick your class size. If you want to be in a large class (300+ people), you just have to register. If you want a smaller class with more one-on-one learning with the professor, you can apply to the Honors College (which is a really easy program to be admitted to). Honors classes max out at 30 students, allowing for more personalized learning. At the U, there is a massive campaign to support persons of all genders, ages, races, ethnicities, religions, and any other characteristic used by the modern world to define or limit people. There are signs everywhere stating that, "Hate has no place here, U belong." As for campus life, it is an amazing group of people to live and work with. Students at the U support each other. Business and engineering students work together on projects, and humanities and health students conduct research side-by-side. No one at the U is shunned or looked down on, because we at the U see what others do not. We see that everyone has something they can contribute and that everyone deserves a place. The U is the place to be. They accept all scholarships and give out plenty themselves. The staff are there for the students, not the pay or the recognition. Professors are more than willing to work with students who need help in subject, or to meet as an advisor. As for the registration process, it couldn't be easier. All you have to do is click on your class. That's it. Registration opens far in advance for the coming semesters and students have plenty of time and classes to choose from. The scheduler can even create your schedule for you and allows you to add breaks, work times, and other out of school activities, so you can do all that you want to. The U is the school you want to go to.

Jordan

I love the U. I would tell anyone considering it to go there. It is not as social as some other universities as many students commute, but it is a large campus and if you make an effort to get involved you will have a social life. I have loved ninety-five percent of my classes and professors.

Jasmine

The research programs and infrastructure on campus are commendable. However, it seems that the impressive, large campus overshadows the disproportionate academic-to-financial ratio and support for students. With high tuition fees that go towards maintenance of buildings rather than investment in quality courses across ALL disciplines, it seems as if the school is more interested in appearances than putting the needs of the student, or daresay, the customer first. Every year there is some announcement of a building expansion or demolition, and simultaneously we hear cuts in student resources and programming. It is a business disguised as an educational institution. The building space is not fully utilized, and it is not necessary for my learning to take place in a state-of-the-art building. As school is transitioning to an online, omnipresent sphere and the surge of student debt is crippling bright minds, it is time the University of Utah re-evaluates its priorities.

Thomas

The University of Utah is a great place to be, beautiful campus and plus it's a school on the rise. They are building more new buildings, the 2017 freshmen class was there biggest they've ever had, and so much more. If you love sports the sports scene here is great with "The MUSS" or the Mighty Utah Student Section. Football games are sold out and its a great atmosphere. The professors are great and try and help you get te best grade you can achieve with set office hours if you need extra help. I've enjoyed my first year here so far, and looking forward to the rest of my time here!

Jonathan

The University of Utah is an amazing school. It is super lgbt+ friendly, and the administration has done everything in their power to make queer students feel at home. The school is located in a great location surrounded by health foods stores and indie record shops, plus there is a great independent restaurant scene on and off of campus. My professors have all been super accessible, and in the classes I've taken they have always been more than willing to meet with me outside of class, go over the coursework, and ensure that the material has been completely absorbed by all of the students.

Ashlie

The U of U is one of the most expensive schools in Utah but they do offer the most extensive, variety of opportunity around. There a clubs and activities for everyone, many I didn't even know existed and this is all to make everyone feel the unity that the U provides.

Krystyn

I have been to a couple of other colleges, and the University of Utah is definitely my favorite. I actually love going to classes and this school makes me want to get involved more. It's beautiful scenery and you get great exercise walking from class to class. The teachers are amazing, and everyone is really helpful. I usually dread going to school and classes, but this school has seriously made me love school and actually want to be there more!

Hunter

The U of U is a super solid school. It is easily the best academic value in the state - the U is a nationally recognized school and for that quality, tuition is relatively affordable. The large student body size of 30,000 students makes for larger classes, but most focused and upper division classes are smaller, about 20 or 25 students. Academics are great, professors are nice, students are smart and friendly, you're right by the mountains and tons of recreation opportunities, and Utah is beautiful! You won't be disappointed.

JESSICA

I love this school! The ease of being able to take courses online since I work full time is extremely helpful! I do wish they had more evening courses available for those who do work. I also appreciate they have extension classes throughout the Salt Lake valley, so those who don't want to commute, have the option to do so. I live in the married and family student housing. It is not ideal, but it is much cheaper than off-campus housing.

Mayela

It's a good university. There is a lot of flexibility with classes, lots of free resources for when you need some extra help, and the staff is very helpful. However, the shuttles provided on campus never run on schedule and are completely unreliable.

Jack

I love the University of Utah, it allows me to be successful in my personal academics all while doing sport, club, organization, recreation and more simultaneously. Nothing is ever forced upon you at the university but there is so much encouragement and opportunity not only through the faculty but by other students as well. people are always trying to get you to not only try new things but pursue your skills to your best ability.

Bailey

I recently transfered to the University of Utah and ever since being here I have met so many people, have gotten involved in many extracurricular activities, and absolutely fallen in love with the University. There is so many things to do on campus. There is also a bunch of free food if you know where to look and as a college student free food is the best food.

Maegan

I love it here! I've met so many new, creative, and fun people. My classes are fascinating, and I can't wait to see where my classes take me. Even though there was some major issues getting my dorm, the people working here tried their best, and I did end up in a pretty nice room. It's not perfect, things rarely are, but it's my home now. I can't imagine going anywhere else

Peter

I think it's a great place to go learn and explore for the major of your choice. There's a ton of opportunity as a student if you're hardworking and motivated. I think that the school does a good job of maintaining a safe environment, letting students express and enjoy themselves at the same time. It's a good school for anyone really and the price isn't jaw-dropping either.

Madison

Great School, many of the classes I was in were the same size as my high school classes. There are ALWAYS places to get help with any subject you are studying! Most professors cared about you and the grades you got and they were all more than will to help you out and be fair.

Alexsis

My overall opinion on the University of Utah is that it is a very good school. There are a lot of extracurricular activities and different clubs on campus that anyone can join. There are different fun sports and anyone can sign up for. For me, I am Native American and when I started school there were booths outside the main building and there was a Native American club and I didn't know that. So learning that they have so many opportunities to get involved for any student that attends the University of Utah it's a great feeling. Also the staff and the professors are amazing they are so nice and fun to talk to and they will make time for you and help you out with assignments.

Jocelynne

I have loved the experience of being here at the University of Utah for the few short years that I have been here. The atmosphere here on campus is overall great. There is a variety of people from different backgrounds, adding a unique touch to the campus. There is lots of "school spirit" especially when it comes to game days. Classes are great and so are the professors. Also lots of school/work opportunities.

Shelly

The University of Utah has everything I want as a incoming student. The people are nice, there are many different activites going on that I could join, and the professors seem kike they want to help you. The culture there is comforting and friendly. I’m excited to go to the college after graduating soon.

alana

The University of Utah is a wonderful place, inside and outside the classroom. It is located in a beautiful state with a great group of people. This college offers an endless number of majors and minors and is sure to please just about everyone, that is unless you are a BYU fan!

Brandon

The University of Utah is an incredible university to attend. Throughout my life, I have looked at many schools both inside as well as outside of Utah. However, none of them come close to this fantastic beauty. The atmosphere is almost incomparable as I travel from building to building. Not only that, the students and professors are all joyful and passionate. Personally, I have only come as a visitor multiple times, yet I always find myself surrounded by the nicest people I have ever met. Aside from the people, the facilities that the school offers is quite insane. Their food court, dorms, and public bathrooms are all cleaned regularly and ensure safety within them. Because of that, the entire campus literally looks like a brand new toy ready to be played with. On another note, their classes are highly sophisticated and are taught in comprehensive manner. I have stepped into good amount of classes before and the students are consistently silent to learn the material. Also, the professors teach remarkably well and describe the concepts in such a way that something complex like the application of derivatives to say, a cylindrical tank, can be understood by a highschool student such as myself. Last but certainly not least, the campus life is like none other. Normal colleges have quite insane get-togethers by including activities such as drinking or drugs, but the University of Utah is much different. They value their body and mind, so they have fun while thinking of what can happen down the line. For example, I attended a party that just a simple Mario Party showdown, but I had the time of my life. My friends were so competitive and the stakes were so high I could not handle the pressure. Anyways, what I am saying is that this place can turn anything into something fun and enjoyable. All in all, I hope to one day attend the University of Utah to have many great experiences in the future.

Eric

The price of tuition is low compared to other universities, but I really wish the tuition didn't rise by 4.6% every year. I think they need more options for food on campus and at better prices. The college is located near downtown Salt Lake City which is nice since this puts it closer to public transportation. The campus is covered with trees and lawn that always appears very nice.

Aria

I am very interested and excited to attend this university. It is a beautiful campus with wonderful facilities. I enjoyed the student life that I experienced and look forward to meeting new people here. There are many opportunities and experiences to be had here.

Cindy

The University of Utah is located at the base of the Wasatch mountain range, surrounded by beautiful scenery. The sport scene is large and thriving on campus, with football and gymnastics being prominent. This is a fun and thriving campus with a good balance for learning, fun, and relaxing.

skye

I love the University of Utah! I think it is a great school! There is always something to do whether it be joinig the MUSS, participating in all the different clubs, or even just going to the different events around campus. The University of Utah is

Madison

Overall, the University of Utah meets the expectations I came in with. Class sizes are quite small, professors are open and willing to help, and the facilities are great from what I've seen. It's a big campus, so be prepared to walk, but there are also a lot of opportunities to take the bus lines, etc. where you need to go.

Brittney

I love the University of Utah. It has quickly become a second home. Everyone is so friendly, and it is common to talk to new people everyday. The professors are great. There are so many ways to feel involved on campus-it's also a beautiful city! I recommend the University of Utah to anyone wanting to study in Utah, or anyone that wants to do research and meaningful projects. In my first year I created my own capstone with funding!

This is an amazing school with countless opportunities both academically and socially to excel. I am very proud to attend the University of Utah and I know that my time here will prepare me for furthering my education and for my future career. I will wear my red and black with pride as I yell out, "We'll fight for dear old crimson for a Utah Fan am I!"

Nathaniel

The University of Utah is a great school. If students are willing to put in the time and effort into a class, the professors are willing to go the extra mile and help out the student. The community is very welcoming towards people of differing beliefs and values, which results in a student body where people actually care about each other.

Paige

I love this school and am so glad I chose to go here! When I first toured the school I knew it was the place I wanted to go because it had such a great, welcoming environment. The student body was super friendly, they had lots of activities and events to keep everyone involved, and made sure they catered to everybody's needs.

Siha

The University of Utah is a wonderful school full of equal opportunity in regards to higher education. The professors are always available and truly care about their students' education. There are many clubs and activities for students to partake in.

Savannah

I loved being at the U. It's situated on the East side of a wonderful city, just far enough up the hill to be its own entity but still close enough to experience all the perks of urban life. The academics are always forward thinking and working toward progress. Campus is always evolving for the better to include new buildings and programs that bring in superior students. The arts are well respected, and athletics are celebrated. It's the whole package.

Nicolaus

Some teachers are helpful, but I have taken courses from professors who are insultingly rude to students or use their course to force students to buy the professors' books. The campus is beautiful and contains great facilities. UTA Trax allows for easy transportation to, from, and across campus as well. Over, it is the best college in Utah, but below average compared to schools such as UCLA.

I think it's a great diverse culture with lots of opportunities to expand and grow in your academics, social life, maturity, and life experience. Students are given many options as far as career choices go with a wide variety of options for choosing a major, as well as incredible academic advisors to help you plan your schedule in the most efficient and effective way for you to accomplish your goals while studying at the U of U.

Mykayla

I love the University of Utah because of how inclusive it is to people regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation. There are so many international students which is amazing because it shows that people from other countries feel comfortable enough to come to the University of Utah. The teachers are all working hard to make sure their students do their best and succeed in college. The University of Utah has so many resources for students to take advantage of to expand their opportunities and to succeed in not only college, but career life after college.

Seth

It's a good school to go to overall. Game days are always fun and there is always something fun to do at the game. I enjoy going to the classes that are required for my program and also enjoy the professors that teach those classes. The general education classes are a little harder because the class size is so big and the professors don't seem to have enough time to get through the lessons, and as a result, it is hard to understand the material. The students are great! As a part of the Athletic Training program I have made friends and met people that will be able to help me through my entire career. The program classes are great becuase I have gotten to know the professors and those that are in charge, they take the time out of their day to make sure that I am going succeed in the classes that I am taking. I have also gotten real world experiences that are great looking to the future. The University of Utah is a great school and is one that I would tell anyone to go to if they can afford the tuition. The down side to the program that I am in is that the only help for my schooling is FASFA. The program doesn't offer to help financially but they require that I "volunteer" for them at least 40 hours a week with different sports and after I pass the 40 hours they told me that I wasn't allowed to record those hours in the log, but with all of the hours that I work for them I cannot afford to have a job and the program is an extra $1000 on top of the tuition that I already pay.

Tammy

Of the six courses I have taken so far, three undergrad and three graduate level, there have only been two that I was disappointed in the instructor. One was an undergrad and the other a graduate level course. In both cases, I felt the instructors were unorganized and the class not very coherent. However, the other four were great experiences with very well qualified instructors who actually knew how to teach and made it an engaging experience and a fun learning environment. There will always be some professors who are not that great anywhere you go, but to have 66% of my experience extremely positive outweighs the not as positive experiences.

I love the University of Utah. It is an amazing place to be. The beauty surrounding the campus is breathtaking. All of the facilities are very well kept and extremely nice. There are so many resources here to get help in any way possible. People are very friendly and it feels like home. There's no place else I'd rather be. GO UTES!

abigail

It is an amazing school, with countless things to do and get involved in. The school is massive, almost a mile long I believe. There is a resource for your needs around every corner and people to help you find said resources. Everyone is friendly, but you do have to put an effort in to making new friends and pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone to enter the social scene.

Daniel

It's a great school for the most part. The professors have been great to work with, the academics are challenging but fulfilling, and there is a strong loyal culture to the school. The staff are willing to work with you, but there are a lot of loop holes and the staff aren't reliable to have the student's best interest in mind. Universities are about making money, not just providing education, and the U isn't any different.

Marissa

The school is very safe but Salt Lake City is different story. It is easy to make friends and get involved in any interest you wish to explore. The teachers are great, except for the chemistry department, and it's easy to get help if needed. I believe I made the right choice by going to the U of U.

Crystal

The diversity at the University of Utah is much better compared to other Utah schools I have seen, but that doesn't mean it is the best yet. One of the worst things about the school is parking. There is constant construction that is going on that blocks off some of the student parking lots, limiting the amount of available lots there are. Additionally, it seems the school sells more permits than they have available parking spaces so it leads to everyone to fight for spots (students, professors, workers, etc.).

Grace

The University of Utah is a huge commuter school. For this reason, parking can be a negative experience; however, the school gives students free train passes and does what it can to promote sustainable living with other options like buses and shuttles. The school has something for anyone and there is usually resources to open more clubs if you don't see what you like. Overall, the U is a great institution and has great connections and quality opportunities to students that take their education seriously.

I LOVE the University of Utah. Wouldn't change my choice for anything. PAC-12 quality education and athletics. Tons of amazing opportunities on campus and off campus. So many resources for students. Definitely the best school in the state. So many different environments on campus, so you can find the one that you fit in best. Everyone is friendly. Go Utes!