Wellesley, MA
Wellesley College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wellesley College

tara

If I was able to go back in time and give myself advice during my senior year in high school having the knowledge I have now as a college student, I would tell myself that studying is the most critical aspect in recieving a good grade. I would say that staying after class just for a few minuets to have the tecaher clarify any questions you may have will greatly improve your understanding of the subject. Your teacher is there as a resourse to help you, so utilize him/her. Your teachers want you to succeed, so do not be afraid to ask questions and recieve their help. Take organized notes during class so that they are understandable when you review them later on. Do not sit close to your friends beacuse they will distract you and cost you the knowledge of key concepts. By doing these things, you will be able to stay ontop in college and not fall short given the tough curriculum. Last, but not least, be yourself and enjoy the experience.

Krystal

Be strategic in what classes you take, when you take them, and how you take them. Since no one stressed the above statement to me when I was a first year college student, my G.P.A. remains a poor reflection of my academic effort. Working hard is a fraction of the G.P.A. recipe. The other ingredients include the professor, the semester in which a student takes a course, his/her decision to take the class regular grading or pass/fail, and of course personal life issues. Had I been a wise incoming student, I would have gathered a variety of opinions on different professors, taken math and science courses pass/fail (considering that these are not my areas of strength), and probably arranged my schedule differently. I would not encourage myself to be obsessed with the G.P.A., but at the same time remind myself that despite any personal disagreement with the G.P.A. labelling system, it is something that will affect my future.

The class structure is one that offers the best environment for learning. Most of my classes have not exceeded a size of 15 students. This small number allows professors to offer me and the other students personal attention that is not afforded in a larger institution. This individual attention extends outside the classroom; professors are VERY willing to help their students and the small classroom size makes this possible. It is also easier to participate in classroom discussions, which are rarely lecture based. I genuinely feel that my intellectual development has progressed because of the class sizes.

The grade deflation policy is the most frustrating aspect of this institution. The reasoning behind its implentation involves increasing the school's competitiveness. I, however, believe that the policy hinders academic achievement and personal development. For one, the G.P.A is no longer a reflection of a student's effort. Moreover, the manipulated numerical value negatively affects one's chances of attaining specific opportunities that require a certain G.P.A. Secondly, and more importantly, grade deflation stifles one's willingness to work hard since the rewards granted are not merit based.

Cathy

I particularly love the empowering atmosphere provided at Wellesley. Although it is a relatively small college, it simply does not fail in allowing each student to feel that at Wellesley, anything is possible. Being surrounded by curious, passionate, and like-minded individuals has been socially and academically satisfying for me. In addition, the small class sizes allows for professors to develop wonderful relationships with their students, thus leading to stellar recommendations and lifelong friendships. At Wellesley, I am among the best, brightest, and most determined women in the nation, and I cannot imagine myself attending any other college.

I would tell my high school self to reach out in all aspects of the college experience. Whether it be in class, at the campus center, or at orchestra, it is important to extend your connections in every opportunity presented. There are so many individuals at Wellesley who are intelligent and share the same interests. To make the most of the collegiate experience, not only is it important to study hard, it's also important to develop friendships. This is one of the most important aspects of the first few weeks of college. However difficult the task may be because of the overwhelming number of unfamiliar faces, it is entirely feasible. As a transfer student in high school, I was discouraged because of the difficulty in successfully transferring socially into my new educational atmosphere. I felt the same when I first arrived to college, but I now know that everyone felt those exact emotions upon arriving. Therefore, I feel that it would be important to tell my high school self to be as outspoken and as friendly as possible because developing friendships are of paramount importance and reaching out to others is a feat we all must overcome.

One of the best aspects of Wellesley is the strong communal relationship among the student body. This is clearly evident in our use of Big and Little Sisters, whom we keep in touch with throughout the year. In addition, there is an strong alumni network present, which also provides evidence of Wellesley's sense of community. At larger universities, it would be easy to feel lost in such a large student body. However, this is not the case at Wellesley. The friendly atmosphere, sense of community, and dedication to the college post-graduation really draw me to this school.

Vanessa

My classmates are very competitive, studious, and hardworking.

My classmates are very competitive, studious, and hardworking.

As a high school valedictorian I felt the pressure to get accepted into an ivy league school. I blindly applied to five top schools solely based on their rank and never visited the campuses even after I got accepted to them. I could not have made a more wrong choice. Yes, education is the main reason for going to college, yet it is definitely not the only one. Looking back at the college selection process, I wish I had done my research as to what type of environment I would be living in, how the social life was, how happy current students felt at such school, what type of weather would dominate, etc. As I apply now for graduate school, my decision on the schools I apply to will be based on whether they are a right fit for me and not because of their prestigious image. This time around I will visit the campuses, talk to current students , sit in on a class, talk to a professor, have lunch in the dining hall, and explore all the resources available to me. I am very grateful that I have a second chance to learn from my mistakes!

The best thing about Wellesley College is when you are able to say that you are an alum of the college. I say that because during your time at Wellesley you will experience a very demanding, competitive, cut-throat, and depressing environment. Happiness only ensues when you end your time there and are able to say that you are an alum of this prestigious school.

Beilin

Most people know of Wellesley as an elite all-women institution that is academically competitive. Among other college students, Wellesley women are known for being intelligent, aggressive, and fun.

First of all, RELAX! College is as much about personal growth and enjoying the experience as it is about grades and academic prestige. The friends you make in college are the most amazing people you will ever meet and you should not be too stressed out to meet them. Friends will help you through the toughest times, and you will feel rewarded when you help them as well. Second, college is a lot more challenging than you expect. Getting good grades in high school was difficult and arduous, but getting the same grades in college will be next to impossible. Do not worry though! When you push yourself to do your best and set realistic expectations, you will be prouder of a "B-" that you earned than an "A" that was too easy. The most important lesson is how to motivate, discipline, and appreciate yourself. Picking yourself up after a disappointment is one of the hardest things to do; know that you tried as well as you could and keep looking forward. Finally, no mistake can ruin your life. You are the master of your fate: If you flunked one test, try harder on the next one. Live & Be Happy!

I love that Wellesley produces strong women who are dedicated to their dreams and ambitions and are eager to challenge society's expectations of them.

Margarita

i would inform myself that college is a unique experiance and a journey that I have the privlegde of going on in my life. I would also tell myself to work hard but to remember to enjoy myself and leave time to spend with good friends. Furethermore, I shoulf be proud of my accomplishments and always look towards the positive side of every situation because everything in life happens for a reason and every situation turns out to work in your favor in some way or another. Work hard and play ahrd is a good motto to remember while in college. Not everything will be easy though, sometimes you will run into situations that may worry you and cause you pain, but it is important to remember that you will get through these sitations, and these unpleasant situtaions shape you as a person and help you learn from your mistakes.

Sometimes the academic pressure gets frustrating. The work load is intense and although thr classes are very interesting, the academic demands of the school can beocme tedious and stressful.

A person who is not willing to put in work and effort to learn and succeed in school. This school has a rigorous academic program that involves alot of work and preparation .

Judee

If I could go back to when I was a senior I would tell myself to slow down. As a senior I was very focused on getting into a top college/university that I let it take a toll on other areas of my life. I would tell myself to be nicer to those around me. I was always cranky towards my parents, the two people who helped me the most to get into college. I regret that. I would also encourage myself to take that precious time before college to explore a new interest. When I got to college, I discovered that I didn't like to do the extracurriculars that I did in highschool such as, field hockey and student government. I felt sort of lost because I didn't know what made me, me. I think its important that we live in the moment, even as we prepare for what lies ahead.

The best thing about my school are all of the opportunites that are offered to the students. Last year I got to go on a volunteer trip for Habitat for Humanity to New Orleans and it was all paid for by my school. Without the funding, I would never have gotten that opportunity to bond with other students in a new area and in turn learn more about myself. I genuinely feel that my school helps to promote self-growth and achievement amongst its students.

My school is extremely academically competitive and that can be frustruating sometimes. It can be defeating when you think you're doing your best and then you see what other students are accomplishing with internships, job interviews and their GPAs. I always feel like I am being compared to others at my school and it doesn't help to motivate me.

Jermaine

The advice I would give to myself for the transition into college would be to look more into scholarships that I am able to receive and qualify for. Research the College more in depth, rather than just going to a school because it was alway from home. Secondly, I would have been on top of my school work more so I woud have maintain a gpa greater than 3.75. In other words i would have been opened to more scholarships. Thirdly, I would have scheduled more more college visitation and visit with professors and department heads to understand what my school could offer me while matriculating through their program in the Natural Science and Mathematics Deparment. Finally, Ask myself want is it that I want to be and shadowed the fields of interests prior to freshmen year so that by sophmore year I could declare a major.

Shaheen

Wellelsey women are strong independent women who know what they want out of life and are willing to go achieve it. My classmates are very competitive both inside and outside the classroom, but are also very easy to communicate with and always willing to give a helping hand to get some of their classmates through a struggling time. At wellesley your classmates easily transform into a family community, so the constant support system is always behind you, pushing you to strive and achieve your goals in becoming a success.

Standing before myself as a high school senior I would advice myself not to worry so much, to stay focused, but most of all to be outgoing. I would tell my self to take oppertunities as they arise because you don't know when they are going to come around again. I would instruct myself to take full advantage of the resources being offered to me, clubs, services, other students and especially the faculty. I would make sure to tell myself that professors want to help, and that I should email them with questions and talk to them about papers and tests. Going to office hours and talking with someone whose life is revolved around the subject you are learning is one of the easiest ways to learn about that subject. The faculty enjoy teaching you and they love their subject so I would advice myself to use them. Being outgoing says all of this in two simple words. While staying focused and clearing my head of all the bad thoughts about what was to come I think knowing to be outgoing would have been the most useful advice for me to take full advantage of my first semester.

The worst thing about my school is how secluded we are from the rest of the world around us. To know what is going on in the world you have to actively read newspapers and listen to the radio. It's important to stay connected with what is going on in the world due to the constant discussions in the classroom. Actually going in pursuit of the knowledge of other college and news of whats happening today is one of the largest difficulties on campus due to our busy schedules.

My school is everything I could have ever imagined, the best thing that could have happened to me, and offers me every opportunity that I will ever need!

Looking back on my senior year, I wish I had completed more scholarships. By November, I was tired of the college application process and excited by the prospect of being able to "slack off" as a second semester senior. I took classes that I knew would raise my GPA from the trouble I had when I tried to over-achieve during junior year. While I tried hard and excelled in those classes, I didn't really challenge myself. A year of non-challenging classes followed by a summer of laziness was not the best set up for a first semester of college. While it is great to reward yourself for your hard work, it is important to stay busy so as not to lose your work ethic. Junior year I over-booked myself with activities and challenging classes; senior year I took a much easier route. I needed to learn to find a healthy balance not only between easy and hard, but also between work and fun. I had little social life in high school because I was so focused on work. In college, I was so excited for fun and extra-curriculars, that almost neglected school-work.

My college is almost exactly like my high school in many ways, but the main difference is the frequency (or lack there of) of classes in comparison to high school. The one thing I wish I had worked on before college: time management. There are so many opportunities for extra-curricular activities: clubs, jobs, volunteering, sports, support groups, tutoring, societies, and groups for every hobby imaginable. I like to be involved in everything, but I could definitely use a little practice in the time management department. My advice would be to learn to manage time wisely prior to college.

Wellesley College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.