Albany State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Albany State University

JaLeesa

It is a pretty decent school. There are some improvements to be made like the community surrounding the school. If there were more stores and restaurants that were accessible that would be good. Another improvement would be finding a place for transfer students to stay instead of putting them with the freshmen. I feel safe on campus and the food here is pretty good too. I would recommend someone to come here.

Charity

I attended the Cordele campus so there really wasn't a lot to do outside of class. If we wanted to be involved in clubs or activities we had to drive to Albany. Most of the teachers were caring, considerate, and gave special attention to the needs of the students.

Naounah

Albany State is a school of great opprtunity and career advancements. If you surround yourself with people that have the same goals as you you are more likely to be successful.There are many things on campus to get involved with such as sports,greek life,and clubs and organizations. There is never a dull moment here on campus ! I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to become a GOLDEN RAM!!

catalina

The time you walk in UAlbany you already feel part of everything. Individuals are treat it with respect. All my professors were interested in being there for us. I made a lot of friends. It seems as I belong there. I am graduating in May with a high GPA and it was possible because everyone care. This university is perfect for anyone eager to learn. You will never get bored. The environment and activities also have five stars!

Charrel

According to the U.S. News and World Report 2018 list, Albany State ranks as the #1 Public HBCU in the state of Georgia. That is no surprise to me because I am well aware and proud of my stellar school. Albany State is not too big, in that all classes are walking distance from the dorms. We recently merged with Darton College which has expanded our school. Despite the merge, classes and amenities on the other campus are still accessible via Albany States very own bus transit, which has stops all throughout both campuses. We have two student centers with nice entertainment areas, an amphitheater where we host events, two gyms for recreation and classes, and we have a new fine arts department with a gallery and music practice studios. We also have writing centers available to assist any student with reviewing assignments. We have study tables in the library every week day, where students can receive peer tutoring. Albany State has several organizations for students to be involved in and a students life office that is willing to allow students to start a new one if necessary. We have several other amenities to offer, but one of the biggest things that Albany State has to offer is family. Those who attend, get involved on campus and seek to meet new people will their and be fulfilled throughout their college career. Albany State Golden Rams Support each other and our school pride is astounding. There are some things that could be improved about our school, but our students and faculty are always working to make these improvements. Students voices can be heard at Albany State because we have town hall meetings regularly and we have a committee in SGA that specifically advocates for the student body’s needs to be met. Albany is located in a small town and to people coming from a big city like Atlanta, it may seem country. However, Albany State has plenty of great quality and things to offer. The college experience here is what you make of it. You get out what you put in. I love my HBCU and would not choose another before it because Albany State is unique and rich in history. So much greatness has come from Albany State and it still is. Our professors and fellow “RamFam” ate supportive. Many students are entrepreneurs, artists, musicians, DJ’s, future nurses, and educators and we build a brand for ourselves and our school that is professional yet full of fun. This is a great school to attend.

Amani

Albany State University is an amazing place to start higher education. Early morning PT, the sky is a beautiful filled with purple, blue and a pinkish color with grayish clouds. As the day begins the campus becomes alive. College students fill the scenery with different attire, attitudes, and ambitions. Albany State environment allows a person to be who they are without fear of judgement. The professors pushes one past the limits of one’s mind; each professor offering something different to be learned. Albany State have many programs to help a student to be successful. The programs I have utilized have been tutoring, the writing lab, my adviser, and the Health Program. The different programs have helped me to prepare for next semester and my upcoming years. The writing lab allows for my papers to be edited and read before turning them into professors. Peer tutoring has allowed me to better my grades through the devotion, patience and time the tutors pour into me. The adviser who was appointed to me is Mrs. Whitley. She has become a mentor, she provide me with different services provided by the school like tutoring. My experience at Albany has been wonderful, the opportunities are endless.

Kiandra

Albany State is a very family oriented campus. There are plenty of people to make you feel welcomed and to answer you questions. There is no room for failure because there are plenty of facilities for tutoring and writing assistance. Lastly, there is plenty of things to do on campus rather it's sitting in the student center, going to a game, or going to a greek show. I recommend Albany who can adapt to the "country" life not having much around and being on campus majority of the time,

Danielle

It’s a great school with a great education program.

Shakira

Albany State University is a great place overall. It is really easy to make friends, but keeping them is the real work. Majority of the professors are really good teachers, but there is always a bad bunch. The food is okay; the campus involvement is okay as well. There is not a lot of Greek life because some of them are suspended and others are not involved on campus. The housing needs a little work because we are overflowed and there is not enough housing for everyone. There are fast food places around the area, a Wal-mart five minutes away, and our second campus is fifteen minutes away with available bus transportation. In contrast, you will have a memorable time in Albany with the parties happening every other week.

Dasia

It’s a good school especially when you make use of the resources that’s available. The house is getting better with all the renovations that’s been happening. Campus food has gotten as well it still need more healthier options but again more improvement. I genuinely like this school and as for a state university it was totally worth it. Sometimes it’s a home away from home but I still come in contact with so many different people.

Chanell

ASU is a small campus. There is not a good variety of things to do outside of campus if you are used to the city. There is always a party going on that people attend. The campus food is good. We have places such as Pizza Hut, Chick-Fil-A, and Subway. Overall it is a good school.

Taelor

Academically Albany State University is an average school. They are known for some of their programs but not all of them. Recently they have expanded their campus and now have a west and east campus. Since they have gone through the expansion I have noticed that they focus more on that then their students.

Yasmine

It's pretty okay once you get used to the small campus and the small city.

Letitia

I loved the school, there is a great atmosphere and environment. I just wish the university was not in the middle of no where. It's very difficult to find a good paying job and fun things to do or places to eat based on the location of the school. Also, the school is very unorganized and move really slow on everything. There are very serious pros and cons to this school. Overall, it is a good school for the right individual.

Rodney

Overall I believe that Albany State is a great University. I would recommend this university but I would also alert people about it's terrible communication and horrible financial aid office. The financial aid office is entirely too unorganized and actually uninterested in what is best for the student. All they care about is money.

Ariana

I love the student life and the people I have met. The campus is isolated from activity areas but the student life makes up for all of it. However, they are slow with handling business and advisors and some professors drag their feet with responding to students outside of the classroom.

Serena

SUNY Albany, or mainly known as UAlbany, is a great place if you are looking to meet interesting people, a variety of over qualified professors, an abundance of extracurricular activities, and a complete college experience. For freshman, there are special communities called living-learning communities where students are grouped with students of the same major. They live together, have similar classes, and an easy way to meet people with similar interest. Depending on your major, most professors have nothing less than a master's or doctorate's degree. They will always try to help you and encourage students to email them whenever they need help. Our extracurricular activities expand from cultural and interest clubs like, the Japanese Student Association and Astronomical Society to athletic clubs such as, Mixed Martial Arts and Rugby.There are always events going on whether its academical or recreational, there is something to please everyone's interest. There are always people to party with on the weekends, though you may find partying with your close friends to be a more humorous event than going to a frat house downtown. Overall, UAlbany has the ability to give each student their own wonderful college experience if the student is willing to seize the opportunity.

Shania

My overall opinion of ASU would be that it's a good school it needed a lot of improvement. There are a lot of issues that are wrong with this school that can easily avoided with better planning. This is the only school that barley gives students scholarships. There are​ more students here who took out loans than students who were given scholarships by the school. The school's actions are not in the best interest of the students which is where they should be.

Damaris

As a student here at Albany State University I can honestly say that it is a great institution! Being that it is an HBCU, the environment is family oriented and has a certain homey feeling. Students here interact on a daily basis with each other, as well as, with faculty making the college lifestyle easier to adjust to and provides a great environment to learn. I would encourage anyone in search of a quality education and worthwhile collegiate experience to attend this institution.

TyQuasha

The Unsinkable Albany State is an HBCU that is very diverse with many nationalities. Albany State University also has outstanding Athletics where about 5 teams have gone to the NCAA Championship including our Softball Team, Baseball Team, Golf Team, Track Team, and our Football Team. If you decide to come to Albany State you will be treated as a family member and we are all one big happy Ramily that looks out for one another. The Albany State Cafe is known for their delicious Omeletes in the morning and wonderful Catfish Friday’s. There’s always a selection wether you are Vegitarian, Lactose intolerance or just looking for a comfort food. When it comes to Wednesday’s the cafe is always packed for Fried Chicken Wednesday and the Lit What’s Up Wednesdays where music is played throughout lunch for the students. All together the Cafe is great!

TRENECIA

ASU is a great school all around, I love everything about it. There is always someone to help you when you need it, we are always there for each other and there is no other school like ASU. Albany is like one big happy family, we feel like we have known each other for years when in reality we only met each other when we got there. The professors are mostly there when ever you need them, even on the weekends they take their time to make sure we are ok. We all support one another in every venture any student may come across. There are always many opportunities to partake in, going around campus. Also there are plenty of activities the goes on around our campus, like things to get the girls together and enjoy themselves, or being around everyone in the school as a whole, we also have thing off campus as well. The campus itself gets better with time and we take care of our campus. Honestly there is just no other place like the Unsinkable Albany State University.

Jayna

It is amazing wouldn't want to go anywhere else. It really has made my freshman year process go by so smoothly. I love how amazing and sweet the teachers are they are always there for me. My classmates are so awesome we are all teammates and we just click very well.

BENEDICTE

it a good university I hardly recommend it to people who are looking for somewhere they will feel safe and a good education. I had a good experience in there everything is not easy as it seemed to be but it comfortable and you can get used to it easily

Myah

I love it. Right now I and student in high school but I really want to come to ASU for college.❤️❤️

Nya

Albany is an overall good school. I always feel safe on campus and the ASU police do a great job with keeping it that way. One thing I love about ASU is the class sizes and the professors. The class sizes are not too big which allows the professor to help me personally with the course.

Catherine

Albany State University is the best HBCU to attend in the world. We're friendly and very homely. You'll feel as if you're at home.

Kharisma

It is a great school

Keenan

It really gives the college life a good and safe meaning.jhvyvyvy7vjvuo7v7yvuvyiv 6ric6cycgv6cuyvcytvctcv7tcyv6v6c7v7tfvvc7vuhv7ycv7tcuyv7ytvycv7gv7yg ycv v yg yg y7 7 uh yc v7tv 7 tv6tv7t 7yv7 ifc ygv jhv ihgvyfvy cyg y yt yg yg y fvuyg yg yf y yg y y v7tv 7y yg yf y t

Brieya

I love my HBCU AAAAAAASUU!! Albany State University is not only an historically black college but its an university thats fit for everyone academically and socially. There are so many organiaztions to get involved with. I am so honored to be enrolled at the Unsinkable Albany State University!! GO RAMS!!

Jacoya

This school is an okay school. I've built a ton of relationships with students and professors and I've learned a lot not only academically but life lessons here also. I've enjoyed my time here and will make sure that one of my kids get this HBCU experience just like I did. I LOVE MY ASU.

Jaden

It is a good school with good education opportunities. Some of the staff could do a little better. The campus is nice as well as the atmosphere. It is a good HBCU. I would recommend other people to come here. I also feel as if the population of the school is becoming bigger.

amya

When imaging college I visualized an experienced I would never forget. I had attended several different college campuses to see which one would spark my interest in going to their institution but not an HBCU. Once I had decided to visit and HBCU Albany State University caught my eye and I knew I must visit. When I had attended campus visitation a quote on the pedestrian walk underpass reeled me in. “A past to Cherish, A future to fulfill”, that quote made me realized I needed to be at a HBCU and Albany State University to be exact. With its rich history and family oriented student body I instantly felt like I was at home right away. With feeling right at home, I felt safe knowing that has ASU the safest campus in Georgia. Knowing that everywhere I look there is assistance makes me feel like I have less worries. I can concentrate more on my academic studies. Friends who have attended or are still attending ASU also gave me great stories about their experiences here. Albany reminds me of my small hometown. Also ASU offers study abroad and that’s something I am interested in later on down the line. Another eye catcher was the many degree options for business, In the process of choosing schools to attend, Albany state stood out to me more than any others. To be so far from home but still in state was a plus. I chose to be away from home so I can teach myself to be independent. Not being so close to home makes it so much harder to just go home every time I need something. Another pro is that ASU is close to Florida, and I love to travel. It’s the perfect weather for me. There are always sunny days and beautiful palm trees. Even though Albany state is far it’s still considered in state. Which means tuition is cheaper for me as Georgia resident. My next choice for schooling was Georgia state university but they wanted me to do summer schooling. I chose not to attend summer school because it wasn’t the right timing for me. Another key point for choosing ASU was that there were no community showers. Personally I prefer the independent showers, only shared with one person. Because I’m a little OCD I feel its fewer germs. I felt more comfortable being able to clean my shower knowing it’s not hundreds of people in that space. Furthermore, I like the spacious dorms. Because I’m so use to having my own room the space makes it easier to cope with a roommate. The process of choosing a roommate was good as well. The portal survey asked in-depth questions about how you like things in your room. And at the end there were matches of who chose answers like my own. The option to write something about you in a paragraph was a bonus. In addition I could bring my car as a freshman, not many schools allow that. As you can see attending Albany state university was a great choice for me. Due to the contributing factors, while there were many options to choose from I picked the best. This bonding experience with everyone for the past two weeks has proven to me that my decision was the correct one. Hopefully choosing ASU will continue to be worthwhile.

Salathiel

I think that Albany State university is an amazing university and the students and teachers are great. I've seen a few disturbing things, but its not on an everyday basis. Most students stay on campus, and from what I've heard things are pretty good. But overall, this campus is just extraordinary.

Darius

Albnay State University offers a huge variety of degrees and programs to accommodate any student. The classrooms are small in size but that makes for bigger conversation. It allows students to get to know other students and their professors. The professors have a lot of work to do, but always try to make themselves available to students so it's almost impossible to fail. They are invested in making sure your education continues smoothly. As for social time, the student center offers a nice place to relax and release stress from classes. In summary, there is a lot to like about Albany State University and little to dislike. I believe anyone would be satisfied after enrolling in Albany State University.

Jada

Dear students, I finally think I have it figured out. You see I’ve spent so much of my time trying to calculate this thing called life out, and I think I have it finally figured it out. It’s nothing that you can’t do, and what I mean by that is just be you. That’s pretty much all you got. Never change for someone, never back down from triumph. Always do it with a smile, because win or no win, you are all you have. Cherish yourself more than the world will, and stand by your word even when you have no one standing with you. I’ve spent practically my whole life caring about what everything and everyone thought of me. After some time, I have grown to know that we all have the same fears and mistakes, that we forget that we are human. There is nothing that we should do to put down one another, but instead lift each other up. That’s what I’ve learned so far in college at Albany State University. With lots of diversity and different types of people on campus, I’ve grown to love everything about it. This school focuses on making sure that everyone has a say. Every student matters here. If you are interested in attending, I highly recommend you do. I would love for everyone to enjoy the experience that I am having so far. Remember that always be you, because Albany values uniqueness here. I hope you got a little taste of what’s in store here at Albany State.

Raygan

As a Move On When Ready student of Crisp County High School, I have been given the opportunity to complete college courses through the Cordele campus of ASU. I have not had particularly good luck with professors this year, but I am grateful that I have had to opportunity to gain experiences of college life, future career opportunities, and also put myself one year ahead in my core studies. I would be so grateful to earn this scholarship so that I can continue my educational pursuit of occupational therapy, and I am grateful for the opportunity to do so.

kyle

Albany State is well developed school. Students and teachers get along and teachers are always available for you. The campus is safe and well protected. The only bad thing about Albany State is the weather. The food is decent enough but something you don't want to eat week to week

Triston

ASU is where potiential is realized. The school is exactly what you make it, whether it's having a fun HBCU experience, or being academically pushed. There's a lot of self motivation that happens on this campus but as I see the school progress I see the school getting its sense of family back and not only with faculty and students but now with students to each other and the community.

Alisha

My school is one of the best HBCU's out there why wouldn't you want to be a Ram!

ayomide

It’s a good place to learn and there are many amazing people who want the best for you

Maxine

Albany State is a family school; we are a Ramily. There's fun, food, and life lessons. Overall college is a growth and you'll always come across ups and downs with every growth whether it be a professor or your roommate. Albany State University allowed me to lose and find myself. With this school, I made the experience my own. It is an amazing one.

jalyn

Albany State University is an okay campus. The people who love it are the people who are involved with the school. On campus organizations are really interested in getting others active with the school. The food isn't all that but that's college for you.

Deandrea

I have enjoyed my experience at albany state university and desire to graduate from there. I have met some of the most amazing people and professors. I wish to continue my education at ASU. This school has allowed me the oppurtunity to succeed and make the best of of college.

Kelshe

I like Albany State University but I also feel that there can be some changes. As far as being safe it can be better. I feel like security only do half of their job unless it’s something really big, news, etc. This University is big when it comes to many things ( family, games, celebrating, voting, etc.) I think they be pushing it at times when it comes to financial situations I don’t think there expensives shouldn’t be so much but aye it is what it is.

Chante

Chante Fountain “I Heart My School” Scholarship Essay Why Attending Albany State University Was the Right Choice for Me Attending "The unsinkable Albany State University" was a great decision. Choosing this college to expand my education hasn't been a letdown. I chose Albany state because it is an overall amazing university. It is an historically black university allowing me to be surrounded by individuals I connect with. This university allows us students to realize our potential and holds many opportunities. Albany State is a small campus allowing us students to feel right at home. Also this campus is surrounded with great professors. There are countless reasons why Albany State University was the right choice for me. Albany State University offers many opportunities. At Albany State University every student’s potential is realized. Students are able to gain skills, qualities, and techniques that can be carried on into the workforce. There are various internships and students are given the opportunity to receive bachelors and master's degrees. Albany state has many amazing things to offer. Albany state university is top ranked Georgia college for nursing, which is my major and is the main reason I chose this college. It is recognized as the #1 public HBCU in Georgia. It is listed as the top school for military and veteran education. Ranked number one for Georgia college offering online programs. And it ranked as the top 30 most affordable graduate accounting programs. Albany state also has a great forensic science program. Albany State's campus provides a very home-like feel. It is a small university, which allowed me to feel right at home. You never have to feel alone at ASU. Albany state has a way of bringing everyone together. There are always fun activities going on around campus you never have to be bored. Albany State is like one big family everyone is extremely welcoming and friendly. Everyone on campus makes sure you don't feel alone and provides you with any help or information you may need. I attended Albany State because I felt like the campus offers amazing and well-rounded professors. The professors take time and makes sure every students understands and learns the material. Not only are the professors extremely helpful, but being that Albany State is a smaller campus I feel that you have more of a connection with the professors. There is an 18:1 student to facility ratio, which isn’t too bad. The instructors here want to see you succeed and see your potential. Attending Albany State University was an overall great choice for me and I do not regret making this decision. This campus holds many opportunities and allows me to realize my potential, while providing a small home-like campus, and allows me to be surrounded by great and amazing professors. I'm gaining hands on experience, skills, and qualities I can use for future jobs/careers. Not only am I experiencing all these great things Albany State has to offer, I am being a part of a historical college. I am truly happy with my decision of choosing Albany State University.

Chiagoziem

It is adequate; not necessarily competitive. if you a high achiever you will stand out. like most colleges, there are choices good or bad, but a lot more people tend to make bad ones. stay true to yourself. Their facilities are not state of the art but they satisfy your basic needs.

It is a low cost school in which most professors teach you and are there to help you. The student culture is very individualistic (I guess that the right word). When you’re walking around campus, everybody is focused on themselves and only get together, outside of extracurriculars and classes, to study which is very rare. I am not fond of this culture, but it is better than a party culture in a school. There are positives and negatives in this campus like everything in life.

Charisma

Albany State University is a great place to learn. the teachers are always available to help you succeed. The tutors are always available and give great help as well. I enjoy walking the clean and organized campus for different activities. Albany State University is the best in so many ways.

DeStandreana

I have enjoyed my year at Albany State University. The academic environment for me presented rigor and relevance which enabled me to remain educationally challenged. The college offers a multitude of multicultural activities. The campus is safe.

jamari

It is a really great school the networking here is outstanding! Since we are HBCU typically smaller than other institutions it is feasible to access professors and build a relationship with them. The opportunities and study abroad are easy to obtain and everlasting. Free money and free opportunities that are easily accessible! Because we are a minority school we have a lot of funding for our school for students which is a really great thing because college isn't getting cheaper.