Ashland, OH
Ashland University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Ashland University

Tricia

If I could go back and talk to my high-school senior self, I would tell myself to consider my options very carefully. I didn't look around hard enough for a college. I only applied to Ashland University, and once I got accpeted, I never looked back. Now, a year later, I have completed one year of college, which is tremendous and fulfillling, but I am also transferring. I cannot guarantee that I would've changed my mind if I had looked around, but I just wish I would've given myself the chance. Another piece of advice that I would give myself is that, no matter what, chase your dreams. My ultimate dreams got put on the backburner for a while because I went for a career that has the possibility of being more lucrative, but something I've realized is that my dreams will always be there in the back of my mind. And I don't want it to be five years down the road and I'm regretting the choices that I've made. So I've learned to always go for my dreams because I will thank myself in the long run.

The best thing about Ashland University is that the classes are all pretty small in size (15-30 people) and therefore everyone gets a chance to become involved in class discussions. Also because of the small class sizes, the professors are more apt to treat everyone like an individual and give everyone the help and attention they deserve.

Clarissa

During my senior year I was very idealistic about college. I was recruited to play softball and I did not have to worry too much about how my college was going to be paid. I also had my parents to rely on to help with any additional expenses. My dad, in particular, did quite a bit to help me realize my dream of playing college sports. Little did I know I would suffer a career ending injury and return home. Without the financial help of the athletic scholarship I am now finding that paying for college is not as simple a possibility as it once was. The injury I sustained matured me in many respects. My priorities have changed so quickly and I realize how much I want a college education and the amount of work it will take to get it. I am determined and willing to do the work. I have gotten a part time job to help pay for expenses. My advice. Life is much more real than the insulated world of high school. Listen to the adults. Listen to your parents. Growing up does not have to be painful. I do not have all the answers.

Shelby

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about college I would first of all tell myself to pick a college that makes me feel right at home. That is exactly how I feel at Ashland and I would not change my choice of college for anything. Second, I would tell myself to spend as much time with my family and friends as possible. Once I got to school, I missed all of them so much. I wish I would have done more with them during my last year in high school and during the summer. Finally, I would tell myself to not be afraid. I was so scared to leave the comfort of my home and my friends and family. I didn't know who my new friends were going to be and I wasn't even sure if I remembered how to make new friends! I was scared that I would get lost on campus and not understand my classes. As I got adjusted and used to campus life, I realized that I had be scared for no reason. So I would for sure tell my self not to be afraid and to stay strong.

I wish that I would have known how the registration process for classes worked before I came to this school. It is not a bad system but it is a little stressful for freshmen as we schedule very last. The enrollment into Ashland grows every year but the classes as still capped at a small number, which makes it harder to get the classes you want/need when you want/need them. Granted, this will get better as I get older but it was a very stressful experience and I wish I would have been aware of it.

Someone who is looking for a big, huge campus experience should not attend this school. Ashland's campus is pretty small as it takes about ten minutes to walk from one side to the other. If you like big lecture classes, this is not the school for you either. All of Ashland's classes have between ten and twenty five students in them.

Kara

Ashland University is very well-known for it's Education programs. All my life, I've heard that as a future teacher, schools will be looking for Ashland and Kent graduates, because of their great Education programs. Unfortunately, it is also well-known for it's high tuition costs.

Out of my college experience, I am learning how to be a better teacher, and I am meeting many great people. I am building new connections with teaching professors that will help me become what I need to be to be successful in the classroom. Ashland University has many kind, useful people that have been helping me through my financial struggles and any other issues. I am learning different teaching strategies that I would have never thought of before, and loving this campus more everyday!

I wish I would have known how hard it was to get scholarhips and loans. I love Ashland University, and I do not want to leave campus. However, if I can't find any extra money, I will be another person to leave the campus.

Kristin

I would not trade my experience at Ashland University for anything. My time at Ashland has helped shaped me into the professional, intelligent, and career seeking person that I am today. I not only received a great education at Ashland, but I also acquired "real life" experience through internships/ student teaching/ and a number of volunteer opportunities. Throughout my four years I took part in a number of social "campus bonding" events and even though we were a very small school, you could feel the school pride run through our campus. Ashland's moto was "Accent on the Individual" and that is exactly what I felt like each and every day that I was on campus.. I have earned a great education, life long friends, and professional experience from AU. I have taken everything that I gained from AU and I apply it to my professional life each and every day. Without going to AU I would not have gained the extensive amount of knowledge of my field. AU opened my eyes to the many career options available to me and helped me to decide to further my academic career by attending Graduate School to persue my teaching licensure.

The food and the campus itself were the best parts about Ashland. I made a lot of great friends and will continue to keep in contact with a lot of my professors!

I do not brag about anything from my time at Ashland besides the fact that the whole student body had a great bond. The teachers cared about the students and the class sizes were awesome! I loved the food too.. nationally ranked!

Amber

I considered a total of 7 schools - 6 smaller, private universities, and 1 lager, public university. Ashland falls into the first category, and I found it far superior to the other 5 that I looked at for a number of reasons. It really does give a high level of personal attention. Ashland had a very friendly atmosphere. Even as a freshman, I am involved in a lot of different activities, both professional and social. Ashland has the best Recreation Center that I had seen. And, as an added bonus, has some of the best food in the country!

Everyone goes to college seeking a good education; one thinks of professors and exams. While my education is of great importance, it is not the only thing that I have gotten from my college experience. I have also gained new skills, a support system, and truly, a second home. I work as a student caller for the Admissions Office. Through this job, I have gained the skill of comfortably talking on the phone to someone I don't know. Independence is another skill I have gained. I do everything for myself at college - no one is going to do it for me. These are just two of many important skills I have learned that I will use for the rest of my life. In college, I have also gained a support system. In the organizations I am involved in, I know people in each one whom I can count on to help me out. My professors and advisor also provide assistance. I have made new friends, who are always there for me. These people are the reason why I consider college to be my second home. Together, these things are what have made my college experience so very valuable.

Ashland University is the school for you if: -You want a school that's small, but not too small. -You want to be involved starting your freshman year - whether it's in sports, clubs, religious groups, or Greek life. -You want personal attention from your professors. -You want to go to a school with a friendly atmosphere. -You want leadership and professional opportunities, starting your freshman year.

My college experience has been a trying time, but also a time full of learning and expansion. This is the first time I haven't lived without parental supervision, so everything is done according to my morals and goals. I no longer depend on my parents to wake me up in the morning or give me day-to-day advice. This has made me a more independent and focused person. There is no one forcing me to go to class every day; I do everything under my own free will. As my first year is passing along, I am slowly molding myself into the person that I want to be when I graduate college. I am so thankful for the opportunity to attend a wonderful college that makes such an accent on the individual.

After high school, I thought that cliques were over, but what I didn't realize was they are going to be a piece of society for the rest of my life. I expected to come here and meet everyone who had an open mind to new people and experiences. However, I have found that that is often not the case. The school is wonderful, but it is small enough that cliques are still very dominant.

Ashland's athletics and academics are both rigorous programs. Our division II teams are some of the top ranked teams and over 50% of the students attending Ashland participate in some kind of sport. Ashland is also well known for their teaching program, so prospective teachers will receive a top notch education degree that will be highly renowned throughout Ohio.

Lindsey

Ashland University is a place that focuses on the indivdual. Professors work hard to teach their students information that will help them in the future. Ashland Universtiy tries to make each student feel at home by getting students involved more on campus.

My classmates are nice, friendly, and outgoing.

My college experience has been filled excitement and new discoveries. I feel that I have been able to learn things from a variety of different subjects which as an idividual has helped in me discover new and intresting things about myself. By going to college I feel that I have opened myself up to more possibilities for a better career in the future. College allowed me to find an inturnship which allowed me to gain work experience that I would have not been able to experience without it. Attending College is valuable because it allows me to further my knowledge in a subject that I love which opens up endless possibilities in getting a job doing what I love.

Jalessa

Based off of my first semester in college I've gotten a sence of responsibilty, and community. I've learned that you cant blame the world or others for your own mistakes. you have to learn how to take defeat and turn it into a success. As far as community goes, it is true that its not what you know its who you know. Ashland is a community full of networks that can get you where your going. The network will get you through the door but thats where one has to be responsible enough to know that their actions reflect themselves and also reflects those who recommended them. Ashland is valuable to attend because you learn more than just academics. There are life lessons and experiences that will serve as an aid no matter where life takes you.

I wish I would have known that in order to get a triple door room it goes by class status instead of first come first serve. i also wish i knew that when making class schedules for the semesters that it also is done by class status so as a freshman it is a big possibility that you'll get locked out of a class you wanted to take, but there are waiting list so there is the chance that you can still get into the class.

how expensive books are and how the bookstore will only give you like two dollars for a book you spent over 100 or more dollars on. and i think our dorms can be a little bit bigger.

Jake

It is smaller than most colleges and it makes it easier to go around, and compared to other schools I considered, their programs seemed to fit my interests and getting to classes is much easier because every building is no farther than a four-minute walk.

Although I have only been in college for a year, my college experience has been quite valuable. I attend Ashland University and my major is Commercial Art. So far, I believe I have been taught some very useful techniques when it comes to drawing. My artistic abilities from high school have definitely evolved and now I draw much differently. I have learned various methods of drawing, detailing, and how to make my objects more realistic. I am on my way to becoming a better artist, and I am starting to pay much better attention to detail. The career field I want to get into is graphic design, but starting off with the essential art methods and trying to master them is going to serve me very well as a graphic designer. College has also given me the opportunity to meet peers in my field and be able to work successfully as a team with them. College has given me a lot of experience, and I plan to use this experience to the best of my ability in the future.

The best thing about my school is that it is small and it makes it easy to get around. It beats living on a larger campus because some buildings could be even farther away than 10 minutes. Here, everything is close together, making it very easy to get around.

Ashland University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.