Austin, TX
Austin Community College District

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Austin Community College District

Marisela
Local Trying-This-School-Thing-Again

Local Trying-This-School-Thing-Again

Austin Community College is definition of diversity! You have everybody across the board attend here. Most students are acquiring their early credits that will transfer into the university of their choice. Then we have the students who had life happen to them and now they're getting back to the roll of things. I really enjoy my time here at ACC. The district has several campuses across the beautiful city of Austin that make it more accessible to students who yearn to enhance themselves.

Jeanne Jacqueline

Follow your heart. I know you think that it's best to follow what everyone says you would do best at, but that isn't what YOU want. You need to think about the classes you love, not the best grades you get. Were you ever happy in those classes? No? What classes make you happy? What classes are you excited to get to, that you rush to? The classes that you study the best for, classes where the homework makes you excited! That is what you should follow. That is what you should study. Like they say: If you love your job, you never work a day in your life. Same with classes: If you love what you study, studying is never a chore. So please, follow your heart, and you will be happy.

I do not have any real complaints about the teachers or the courses at my school. I only have problems with the campuses, and even then only the distances between the parking lot and the buildings. Which is about half a mile to a mile walk from car to building. Other than that I really love my school.

This school is best for people who are not ready(emotionally, physically or financially) for a University or simply do not want to go to a University. But a person who just is not interested in College at all, should not go here. I've seen many people who don't want to attend school, but their parents insist that they do. These people are the ones who never show up to class, and do not care about their grades. This just frustrates the students who really do want to learn, and wastes the teachers time.

Melissa

Top 5 things I would tell my 18-year old self about college: 5. Take classes that are relevant to real life. While Intro to Poetry may be interesting, you would be better served by taking Accounting 101. 4. Get a good degree. You can't go wrong with math and science. Even if you get a liberal arts degree, take math and science core courses to give yourself options later in life. 3. Don't get credit cards. The offers will come flooding in and it seems like free money but it's definitely too good to be true. 2. Be sure to take care of your physical and mental health. Regular exercise will help your body and your brain be in prime condition for learning and thriving. 1. Go to class! This is the most important factor. I didn't realize at the time how important it is to be in class, immersed in the material, taking notes and absorbing information. Many things will sink in even when you are not paying 100% attention.

I wish I had known how hard it would be to remember math skills that I haven't used in years. I wish I would have done more math review using free online resources before starting my classes. I came to this school in order to fulfill prerequisites that I need for a graduate program. I have been out of school for quite a while and am now pursing a masters degree in a field that is more technical than my previous degree.

Ernest

Look dude, High school has been fun hasn't it? My two biggest pieces of advice I can give to you are to be really frugal with all the money you will be receiving and to not slack on your work and stay focused! You're going to be blessed with some good cash from financial aid and from the jobs you're going to have. The best thing you can do is to spend what you need and save as much as you can. Once you transfer its going to give you the leg up you need to get yourself through a long semester. Next thing, and the most important is to focus on those studies. Don't play around and spend long nights procrastinating. Take advantage of all the resources and talk to people. You're going to make some great friends so utilize them. If you don't do this you're going to end up in a situation that will take far longer than what you think to come out of. You're going to have fun because you know how to have fun. Just tone it down just a little bit. Good luck!!

Financial Aid can be a pain to deal with it.

Casey

Enroll in college as soon as possible after graduation from high school, and if enrolling in a community college, make sure the classes that you take are transferable credits. College is as you make it. Go to class, do what you are instructed to do, study, and you'll do just fine. College is mostly about dedication, so dedicate yourself as much as possible. Higher education is the means to having a career that is a love of life; whatever you love to do, try and relate that love to a degree, and you'll be a lot happier in the end. These are all things that I've learned over the years that I know now at the age of 33, with age comes wisdom, but I am satisfied that I'm doing what I'm doing now, because I know that I will be happy with my degree and career choice. This is a statement that I did not make when I obtained my high school diploma and associates degree from Austin Community College.

Austin Community College has prepared me for transfer to Texas State University, which I have applied for the fall of 2015. They work hand in hand with Texas State University by offering an extensive transfer guideline, including courses that fulfill the first two years of classes that transfer to my selected degree: Wildlife Biology.

I wish I would have known about transferring courses before I obtained an associate of applied sciences degree in which 80% of the classes do not transfer to a university.

SHERIKA

ACC IS BEST KNOWN FOR THEIR MANY PROGRAMS THAT THEY OFFER THAT CAN GET YOU WHERE YOU WANT TO BE.

THE ADVICE I WOULD GIVE IS THIS. I KNOW THAT YOU WANT TO FEEL LOVED. I KNOW THAT YOU WANT TO FEEL APPRECIATED. I KNOW THAT YOU WANT TO FEEL THAT WARMTH WHEN SOMEONE THAT LOVES YOU HOLDS YOU TIGHT. BUT DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE PROJECTION OF THE MIRRORS. DON'T LET THE THE FOG CLOUD YOUR JUDGEMENT AND CAUSE YOU TO STUMBLE SO THAT YOU CAN'T MOVE ON TO THAT NEXT LEVEL. DON'T TAKE THE THREE WORD PHARSE, I LOVE YOU, LIGHTLY. IF A MAN TELLS YOU THAT HE LOVES YOU AND BEATS YOU UP. HE DOESN'T LOVE YOU. IF YOU WANT CHILDREN TO HAVE A BETTER LIFE YOU HAVE TO START NOW. DO NOT PLAY AROUND. GO TO SCHOOL. DO NOT STOP. STUDY HARD AND GET YOUR DEGREE SO YOU AND YOUR KIDS DON'T HAVE TO STRUGGLE. YOU WILL FEEL SO MUCH BETTER KNOWING THAT YOU WERE ABLE TO PROVIDE FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. BUT DO ME ONE THING IF YOU DON'T REMEMBER NOTHING ELSE I'VE SAID. ALWAYS REMEMBER NO MATTER WHAT, JESUS IS THE WAY. RUN TO HIM. ASK, SEEK, KNOCK, I LOVE YOU.

NOT ENOUGH SCHOLARSHIPS TO GO AROUND. THERE ARE A LOT OF STUDENTS IN NEED OF AID AND THERE AREN'T ENOUGH SCHOLARSHIPS THAT THE SCHOOL OFFERS TO THOSE IN NEED.

Don't write off the scholars. Don't skip out on taking the SAT. Don't keep that job at Dairy Queen. Don't move to California with that boy. Don't assume you deserve the abuse he put you through. Don't assume you deserve the abuse you've put yourself through. Don't keep biting the hands that try to feed you. Don't assume there's no hope left. Don't disregard your talents. Don't lose sight of the sunrise through the darkness of the night. When you see that sliver of light peeking over the horizon, run for it. Soak yourself in it. Know that you are not alone. Know that you are only as worthless as you think you are. Know that it will get better. Know that you will need to keep working for it to get better. Know that work will be fulfilling; know that your pursuit of knowledge is nothing to be ashamed of. Know that one day soon, you will be full of so much love that you will dedicate your life and your overactive mind to spreading it. Know that it will be okay. Know your own strength.

I wish I had known that I could customize my own transfer-credit plan instead of following their associates' degree plan; I will not be leaving with an associates', as the requirements for transfer are not the same as requirements for graduation.

Elective choices (in my range of interests) are somewhat limited; sometimes, advisors are not as helpful as they could be, and ensuring the classes you need are at a nearby campus can be difficult.

Dennis

poor working class kids who didn't do well in high school. The stereo type is somewhat accurate, Group projects are incredibly difficult when everyone doesn't have the same passion for education and good grades as you do. I don't settle for Bs and Cs and that seems to be the common mindset here, Get a 2.5 and transfer to TSU

My favorite group is the honors program, and working with Dr. David Lauderback. I was able to get an internship with the wendy davis campaign. Nothing is more popular than the other, pick what you like and dig in. Someone will be there with you!

Plenty of lazy and disrespectful. Too many students that don't understand the purpose of a college education and to much complaining. However, i have been in the honors program where the over achievers go, those students are amazing.

Tough and fair. This is not UT or southwestern, but it is an amazing prep for such a university. I suggest getting into the honors program as quickly as possible and taking charge of your college career.

Alona

I would first tell myself to wait on having children, because it made everything much more difficult while trying to raise a toddler in nursing school. I would take advantage of the vocational and technical training offered in highschool in order to get a job while in college. I would tell my seventeen year old self to not focus on the long term goal and set short-terms in order to remain focus and gain small victories along the way. I would say to look at school tuition rates rather than the party factor or what would be the "cool" place to go. Apply for every scholarship you qualify for, and continue searching out and applying fo them as you go along to cut down on student loans. Only borrow, what you need for your tuition, do not accept the refund. Be very frugal while in school. Seek out your own learning opportunities. Try and find a job within your field of study because it will significantly help you when you graduate and are trying to find a job.

I wish I had known how to better manage my finances while in school so that my credit would have been better after I graduated and wanted to buy a house.

The admission process into the nursing program.

Sophie

I have been at ACC for 3.5 years (2 years of dual-credit, and a year and a half of my post-grad) and it has been nothing but a positive experience. ACC is full of wonderful, loving professors and faculty who for the most part, genuinely want you to succeed. I truly feel like I have received a quality education, and I am well prepared to transfer to a 4-year university to finish my undergraduate. This really is a college that wants to help you achieve your goals.

Phi Theta Kappa and Student Government

Austin Community College District administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.