Austin, TX
Austin Community College District

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Austin Community College District

Lacy

Making the transition to college life should be exciting: do not stress out. Attending school not too far from home can be very helpful. Choose a school that is in a useful environment for when you do obtain free time, or incase you need a job. Make sure the school you choose offers majors you are intrested in and go for it. Do not slack off: your classes are a lot of your own money. You will need help. Therefore, apply for as many scholarships as you can. Be friendly and ask for help if you need it. Join an organization at your school. Organizations will help you meet people and get involved. Your parents will not be there to guide you. Learn when to stay in and study and when not go out with friends. Last but not least, stay healthy. Do not fall for the freshmen fifteen: continue eat healthy, exercise, and get plenty of sleep. Good Luck!

I wish I would have known more current students attending the school. Knowing other students would have given me confort in the new enviornment, along with useful advice from their past experience at the school.

The cost of attending classes, along with the price of books, can add frustration to attending school.

Sean

As a senior, even though everybody around me was freaking out about colleges and applications and such, I was just trying to focus on passing so I could graduate! I didnt apply to any universities because I had to many other things going on. But my high school was always promoting ACC (the community college) and it was just down the street and so I decided to get maybe a year or 2 done there and then transfer to a big university. Honestly, I think I actually made the right choice in getting my basics out of the way at a community college first because transfer students are usually looked highly upon by big universities and also going to a community college for a little while saves you a LOT of money!

Nobody. It's a community college. Its open to everyone who wants to further their education or even start on it. And if you fit that description, then your always welcome.

Registering for classes and buying textbooks definatly. There is always a rush around those times, and it totally frusterates me cause I have so much to think about but a limited time to get it done and I'm always needing assistance cause half the time I'm not sure what I'm doing and that takes even LONGER.

Jasmine

ACC is very accomodating with multiple class times and several online classes available for all subjects.

The classrooms at ACC are very diverse...you never know what the age group is that will be in your class. They also have a dual credit program where high school students can attend college classes and earn credit for both college and high school.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself, I would tell myself to not be serious when I take classes and not just blow them off because I dont have to worry about being caught roaming the halls and I can sleep in now....I would be sure to tell myself to focus on what I want to do an take classes just for the sake of taking classes make sure they count towards something. I would also tell myself to keep up with the volunteer hours I was doing because it would allow me to be eligable for even more scholarships if I kept it up.

Lynnette

My classmates are a combination of recent high school graduates, dual enrollment students and older students who are updating their education in order to compete more effectively in the modern workplace.

If I could back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to be more focused on my education. The miscellaneous things that were causing distractions are not something that require any attention from me. I would have tried to explain that while studying is important, focusing on being true to who I am is also important, not following others blindly. Of course, I would also mention that financial aid is very important. Researching and applying for various scholarships, loans and grants is also very important and not to leave it to the last minute.

The particular campus that I attend is housed in very old buildings. There is no cold water in the restrooms, only one building has an elevator to get to the higher floors and there are not enough electrical outlets in the classrooms for students who use their computers to take notes during lecture. I think it could be modernized somewhat in order to provide better service to the students needs.

Scott

Austin Community College is a wonderful place for several reasons, 1) So far all of my teachers have been very gracious, yet firm and capable to instruct. 2) Many of the courses offered can be transferred to Texas State and other colleges that a local would be interested in. 3) Although being a community college, it is well respected in my experience as a school and not a joke like other community colleges I have encountered. I am very pleased with where my chips have landed for the meantime.

Easy. "Get started and work your butt off. It's not going to be as easy as you thought." Along with some tips at how to succeed in individual departments of course.

I sincerely wish I had been better prepared for the toughness of being out on one's own and forcing oneself to do what's needed to succeed. I was always a slacker, but I always made straight A's throughout most of my public school career. Suddenly, I was forced to do homework to pass classes and learn the course material on my own. The acclimation was incredibly difficult and I regret being so very ill-prepared.

Jacqueline

Austin Community College is best known for students going to get their basics. ACC is a great way to start off if you aren't sure what you want to major in (not to mention a lot cheaper!)

I would have given myself the advice of starting to take college searching a lot more serious. As content as I am with my decision of getting my basics while staying at home; I think I would have had enjoyed starting everything off right off the bat. Due to our financial situation I would have also liked to have started looking for college scholarships a lot sooner, with more determination.

Micaiah

There are few things that will add to your life experience like going to college. However, you need to ask yourself what college means to you and why you want to go. If the answer to this question involes being pressured into it for one reason or another, I would strongly urge you to take a break from school and revisit the idea when you are ready to make your education your top priority. You do not need to know what you want to be when you grow up before you start taking classes. Do not let the unknown discourage you from continuing your education. Take a few classes that peak your curiosity until you find something that inspires you enough to move forward. Try not to be motivated by what makes more sense, but rather what makes you happy. A degree is a degree and it will look good to prospective employers regardless of the major. You will have a better chance at success in your life if you love what you do, so study something you love and do not let others get you down.

It's hard for me to think of the worst thing about my school, but the thing I have had the hardest time with is the financial aid system. Most of this is actually administered by the department of education, however each school is responsible for their own requirements as well. The way my school handles this department has not made it easy for students to discuss their options for financial aid, nor have they promoted scholarships that are available very well.

If you are attending college because you feel like you have to, you should not go to this or any college or university until you decide you want to be there on your own. If you don't want to be there, you will not get the full experience and education that is offered. If needed, take a break from school and go when you are ready to make it a priority. You will achieve more and be a better student when you want to be there.

Ann

What was unique about Austin Community College that made me choose it was the class sizes. Even though there are many students who want to take classes at Austin Community College the college has not compromised its small class sizes. When walking around campus it feels like a huge college, but when you walk into a small class you know that your going to get the attention you need to learn.

Gosh, it would be very informative and useful if I could go back and give myself advice about college. First, I would tell myself that its not a good idea to take morning classes. Just because high school was structured that way doesnt mean my life has to be. Give yourself time to think in the morning before throwing yourself straight into class. Second, I would tell myself that school should always come before friends, and dont take classes with friends who need to be babysat. Its fun to hang out, but its also fun to finish school so you can get on with your life. Lastly, I would tell myself that its important to continue school. No matter how hard you think life has become, or how hard your classes are, life will always throw you curve balls, you just have to get up and dust yourself off and try again.

The most frustrating thing about Austin Community College is that there are not enough classes for the amount of people who want to take them. The day of registration the systems are overloaded and slow, and the classes are taken up quickly. I wish there were more class options so you dont have to fight the crowds to get the classes you need.

Nicca

My school is crowded, but most classes are kept small.

My school is crowded, but most classes are kept small.

My school has an exceptional photography program. We are taught with the latest technology, and the professors constantly stay abreast of changes in digital photography, as well as the image processing software that is available. I'm confident he program will truly get me ready to go out into the real world and work for myself as a photographer. Other schools I checked out simply did not offer this caliber of education - especially for a community college.

I would tell myself to keep pushing myself to continue my education, and that I would be a happier person by doing so. I would want my high school senior self to know that getting started would be a struggle, but that I could get through it. I would want myself to know about the many opportunities that are presented once I got involved in higher education. Since I am 28 now, I would want my younger self to not wait so long to get started, and to keep searching for the answers about school until I got them. I would tell myself to buckle down and apply for scholarships because I deserve them!

sabrina

Run! Go as fast as you can and enroll. Who am I to tell you this? I am you at thirty. I remember being eighteen and thinking I knew everything. What could college teach me? Life taught me there was more to college than just a piece of paper. College has given me tools that I will take with me beyond graduation. Knowledge is something that can never be taken from you. Allowing your mind to be acquainted to ideas other than your own, opens experiences in life others may never know. Do not be afraid. Life comes at you fast, and sometimes unexpected opportunities arise. One moment, the loss of a job may seem devastating. The next, you realize it is an opportunity to change your destiny. Live your life by the words from Winston Churchill, ?"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved

Anyone wanting to achieve their dream of a college education should attend Austin Community College. Nontraditional, or even students on a budget, can still receive excellent education and be one step closer to a college degree

Understanding that I am not what is considered a ?traditional? student, I brag most about the fact my school wants its students to achieve their dreams. Many schools tend to shy away from helping older or returning students. Austin Community College gave me the tools I needed to reach my goal of becoming a college graduate.

Austin Community College District administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.