Brunswick, ME
Bowdoin College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bowdoin College

Kathryn

The classes are fantastic; the professors amazing. They care about their students and get to know them on an individual basis. It's awesome. The small class size makes all of that possible. The weather sucks, though and the apathetic student body leaves much to be desired. Most people, outside of academia, have not heard of Bowdoin, so if you're superficial and looking for an ego-trip whenever you mention the name of your college, Bowdoin is not for you. Brunswick is decent-lots of restaurants and small, independent shops. And Freeport (outlet capital of the USA, well maybe Maine) is just 15 minutes away. Bowdoin administrators aren't great. Their lack of attention to student issues and opinions is rather startling, but for the most part, they'll leave you alone as long as you're not tarnishing Bowdoin's pristine image. The most recent controversy was a hazing "scandal." Someone found some pictures from 2004 (good forbid) of the sailing team dressed inappropriately and the administration freaked out. The ironic thing, of course, was that this was hardly hazing. The school got so upset about a costume party, while the X-C team was forcing freshmen to swallow live fishes. There's a lot of school pride if school prides means blacking out at Bowdoin-Colby hockey games. But seriously, our two biggest rivals are Bates and Colby, which is sort of lame because all of the students there wish they could have gotten into Bowdoin.

There's a lot of forced diversity, here. Admissions keeps bragging about how many more minorities they admit each year, but what they don't tell you is that black kids mostly hang out with black kids; Asians with Asians, etc. Most people are white, preppy, upper-middle class, New Englanders so if you're looking for an edgy experience, I'd look elsewhere. We're a liberal bunch, but I'm not sure if that's because people actually have convictions or because it's trendy to be a young liberal. As far as cliques go: Jocks, Stoners, Preppy sluts, Edgy (rich girls from NYC who think they're edgy because they're from NYC) sluts, Chem-free geeks, Hot Asians, Over-achieving Asians, Feminists who think they're feminists because they have sex like guys do (often and without emotion), Outdoorsy People.

Yes, not only are there alcoholic jocks from New England prep schools but also there are alcoholic jocks from midwestern and southern prep schools. There's certainly an abundance of rich, preppy girls from the New England area. I think the fact that the bookstore immediately sold out of $100 Vineyard Vine tote bags says a lot about the female population here...

Professors, as I said above, are awesome. All of the good ones know your name. I've loved all of my classes here. Honestly. It's a pleasure to go to class and I've improved so much here as a writer and thinker. It's all about learning and thinking and developing ideas here. Professors are highly approachable-they want you to succeed and will help you if you want to be helped. Students are fairly studious; it really varies of course. There's definitely an intellectual clique, but they're so full of themselves that it's off-putting for all of us humble scholars. Students are not competitive with each other, but I think most of us work hard for ourselves. The academic requirements are great, but they're improving every year-I think the professors are finally realizing how unreasonable some of them are.

Most people play some kind of sport and everyone's on the College Dems' mailing list. Social Houses make up the social scene for freshmen and desperate sophomores. The dating scene does not exist. The hook-up scene is prevalent. A lot of people get really close with their freshman floor. Super snacks is the alcohol free weekend alternate. There are occasionally some mediocre plays and performances and the various a cappella groups are quite good.

Alcoholic jocks from New England Schools. Preppy, rich girls who got in through connections.

Kyle

The faculty recently voted to end our credit/d/fail options on distribution requirements; this decision outraged many student. The student government is currently addressing the problem.

Students wear whatever they feel like. Most of the time, I see students in sweat pants and t-shirts. LGBT are well supported on campus and there are plenty of ways to get involved in educating other students and community members. Students come from a wide range of socio-economic backgrounds.

We recently eliminated loans-- Bowdoin is taking huge steps to ensure the future of low-income and minority students' presence on campus.

Bowdoin should have no stereotypes attached to it. There is no typical Bowdoin and there is no atypical Bowdoin student-- we're all very different, but we all have similar goals. Everyone is very friendly.

Professors are incredible! They're all very flexible; they all know you by name; and they're all more than willing to help you, in any way possible. Students at Bowdoin are not openly competitive, though it is quite apparent that many students (especially those aspiring to gain medical school admission) are "closet" competitors. Academics at Bowdoin are very rigorous. Some students do well, most students struggle, and a small percent of students fail and are asked to leave the college (for a semester or more)

A large percentage of student play sports but most students do not watch sports. Are last pep rally was lackluster at best. Typical weekends at Bowdoin include going to social houses (Bowdoin's version of frat/sor. houses) for different social activities and dancing at the pub. Several groups also perform throughout the weekends. Students have a lot of homework during the weekends, however, Bowdoin the majority of students have the "work hard-play hard" mentality.

That most students are stuck up and/or rich.

Charlie

Want to see Bowdoin pride? Come to the Colby-Bowdoin hockey game.

Want to see Bowdoin pride? Come to the Colby-Bowdoin hockey game.

We all are over-achievers for the most part. Despite appearances, the interersts and passions of each student are really diverse. The intense athlete may also love to play scrabble, and the student body president may want to be a model.

I was in the largest class Bowdoin offers my freshman fall (87). The professor knew all of our names by the second week. She still remembers them. The professors at Bowdoin are incredibly approcahable. It's great to just go and talk with them about course work or random topics, like the elections.

Everyone at Bowdoin does too many activities to count, and looks like they walked out of a j-crew cataloge. They're all the same.

Perry

Bowdoin is an amazing school; it was my top choice and I am so lucky to be here. I think what I love most is that everyone wants to be here and takes advantage of all the opportunities Bowdoin has to offer. There is a lot of school spirit and an intimate community feel. I also love that Bowdoin is not one kind of school; it excells equally in many different areas: academics, athletics, arts, community service, etc. There is so much to do!

Personally, I think Bowdoin is a very welcoming campus and that all students feel comfortable and included. I can't say I'm the best person to make that sort of judgment though, as I am a pretty typical student from New England. I think what is interesting about the diversity is not the statistics about race, religion, geography, etc., but rather the diversity of the student as a person. A hockey player can be a neuroscience major or sinc in an a capella group. The same girls who love the art history library will be cheering on the basketball team later in the weekend. Big huge burly football players will found groups based around raising awareness of sexual violence on campus. It is not only where a student is from, or what ethnicity he is, but the different niches that he fills that makes him interesting. Everyone at Bowdoin interacts with each other, and that was one of the most pleasantly surprising things I found freshman year.

The academics are great; classes are small and professors definitely know your names. My classes have all been small and discussion based. Academics are obviously the center of the school, so intellectual conversations carry over from class into the dorms and dinner. My favorite classes so far have been Modern Art and 20th Century Hispanic Literature. I meet with my professors regularly outside class and they are always helpful and engaging. I think Bowdoin's academic requirements are good; we are at a liberal arts school and should be exposed to different disciplines. Without the art requirement, I never would have taken art history, fallen in love with it, and declared it my major. I can't say I was as thrilled about my math requirement, but it was very painless. Because professors know students so well, it is easy to talk with them about plans for a major: studying abroad and transferring credits, getting into a class without a prerequisite, etc. Professors want to help you.

I don't know of any stereotypes really. I guess all I hear is that it's a very good school and the students are all very smart and engaged.

Athletics are probably the most popular form of extracurriculars at Bowdoin. Many students play intramural or club level sports, or if nothing else will watch the varsity teams. Guest speakers are also very popular; every Friday from 12:30-1:30 is Common Hour when we have a guest speaker and everyone can go after they have lunch. Greek life isn't as prevalent as it is on other campuses. Bowdoin abolished fraternities in 1997 and replaced them with "college houses." I am an RA in one of the college houses, and while it has been rowdy and challenging (we've been on probation twice), it has been a rewarding experience. Although students drink on the weekends, it's easy not to drink, but still have a good time.

Bowdoin College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.