Brunswick, ME
Bowdoin College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bowdoin College

Nora

Mostly good, overcommitted, preppy people who like to drink, work hard, and don't talk much in class.

Relax. The idea of a "right" college is stupid. There is no way that you will know what college will be right until you go. The process is stupid and not worth getting worked up over.

Quality of life--the food is amazing, the housing is pretty great, the support systems are impressive.

Genna

Bowdoin is known for the strength of its academics and the quality of its alumni. Its acceptance rate is one of the lowest in the country and it is generally presumed that a Bowdoin graduate will be successful after a grueling four years here. Especially in the past few years Bowdoin has been praised for its work in improving campus sustainability as well.

If you or your child can cut it academically at a school, then don't worry about the finances. The price tag of that degree may be high but it's priceless; moreover, you may qualify for a substantial amount of financial aid. Many expensive schools have great financial aid packages and paying for that prestigious education might be easier than you thought. College ought to change how you think and view the world. You might not know it right off, but a good college should not only engage students academically, but challenge them to think about social, ethical, and environmental problems and prepare them to contribute to the outside world. Good education means the lessons of the classroom being more than facts and lasting long after a lecture or discussion has ended and beyond the final exam. You are not gaining just qualification from getting a degree; you are learning how to construct your own world view.

I wish I'd known a bit more about what I wanted to get out of my degree; though it's liberal arts, I find myself wishing I'd taken more focused subjects during the past three years. Generally I felt pretty well-prepared for college, though. Socially I wish I'd known more about how to meet people and be engaging; I was very shy and remain a little shy now, which has kept me from meeting as many people as I otherwise would have at a school this small.

Akira

Apparently my school is known for being small, cold, and good because Joshua Chamberlain went there.

You will get into colleges that are a better match for you. The admissions people seem to actually know their stuff, and will weed out people they think won't like the school. I never though of it that way until college, but it's definitely true.

Ellen

strong academics, friendly students, encouraging professors, and active lifestyle

someone who enjoys outdoor activities, challenging academics, and is not reliant on a city lifestyle

Many prospective college students and their parents approach the college search process in the wrong way. They believe that there is only one "perfect" school for them, they worry more about reputation than fit, and they allow the opinons of those around them to greatly influence their college choice. Choosing a college should be about finding a school that FEELS right, not one that sounds right. Stay overnight with a student you have never met before, and, as you meet their friends and dorm-mates, ask yourself if you could be friends with these people. Because in all honesty, your college experience and future identity are influenced 100 times more by the people you meet and spend time with than the academics you pursue.

Cliff

Whatever you do, do not choose a school solely on its prestiege. Pick the school that you feel the most comfortable at. Visit the schools you are thinking about. Spend a night at the school and if possible try not to set up the overnight with the admissions office because they will set you up with someone who they feel is a great person and is trained in what to tell you. Stay instead with a someone you know will tell you the dirty little secrets of the school. If you are going for a sport, be sure to go to a practice and meet more of the team than just the model student-athleets that the coach wants you to meet. In general dig under the display the admissions office is putting on, and ask the questions that they dont want to answer.

The kids here feel like they are in the real world while Bowdoin is a very protected environment. Most of the students are not fun people and are not welcoming to conservitive views.

Kylie

An academically driven individual who is goal oriented and has high career goals.

Finding the right college is hard, but you have to go with your first instinct. Visit every school you apply to and dont attend one merely because you like its basketball team, or it has a prestegious name. Stay overnight in the dorms, visit the campus, and attend some school year events and classes. I think the most important thing to do is to make sure you communicate with current students, the admissions office will sugar-coat everything, but the students have nothing to lose! It is also important to join clubs and teams as a first year student once you have been enrolled. the more you put yourself out there the more friends you will make and opportunites you willl find.

Reid

I would tell them to visit the college and, if possible, stay for a day or two. The surrounding area of the college can take some getting used to, but if you dismiss a place on its initial appearance or judge it from the start, then you may skip over a place that you would have enjoyed. I came from a conservative family and a high school of jocks, and landed in an extremely liberal campus where academics are the main focus. This happened mainly because I decided to stay at the school with people I knew and get a good feel of how I would fit in. It turns out that I have made my best friends here and would never change my decision. Each individual is different, so I would encourage parents to have as little say in the college decision as possible. My parents helped me to research colleges and brought me anywhere that I showed a significant amount of interest in. Other than that, I made the decision on my own and I couldn't be happier.

The people. From the minute you get here everyone is very helpful and nice. The weekends are also great, although they can get somewhat repetitive. I have definitely made my best friends here. The reputation of the school is up there too.

Someone who is not willing to fully devote themselves to both academics, and extracurricular activities. This place is a waste of your time, and a HUGE amount of money if you don't apply yourself.

My classmates are enthusiastic, intelligent, friendly, active, and liberal. However, they could do a better job at mixing in different social circles.

In the end, it is not the college, but rather, the student, that makes the experience successful. Difficult as it is, it is important to put aside the name of the school, and the GPA/SAT scores of its students. Instead, try to think about what is really the best match for you. A school can have a fantastic reputation, but this doesn't mean it will be the best fit for every student. In the end, a person will be successful if he/she feels connected to the college and its community. Further, regardless of whether or not a student is enrolling in his/her first choice school, or a "safety school," it is absolutely crucial to go in with a good attitude. The student's first year, and even the first few weeks, can make a big impact on the overall experience. Even if you feel that the "college process" has treated you unfairly, once the time comes to enroll, try to put the past aside and take charge of your college experience. It's up to you, and every single college and university can provide a top-notch educational and social experience if you seek it out.

I wish I had known how accepting and friendly the faculty, staff, and students would be. I also wish that I had known it would be pretty small, and not as diverse as it could be.

Lynn

Bowdoin offers a good academic and fun social environment.

Bowdoin offers a good academic and fun social environment.

Make sure to visit every school and apply to enough "safeties." Give yourself as many options (size, atmosphere, etc.) as possible, as you may find what you thought you liked at the beginning of senior is not at all what you'll like, come acceptance time.

Sometimes I feel stuck with my group of friends.

Cameron

Will tell us about the "affluent Bowdoin student" stereotype.

Bowdoin's social scene revolves around campus, so someone who craves the hustle and bustle of the city may be bored here

Who wouldn't fit it here.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Sarah tells us why Bowdoin was her first and only choice.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Loretta tells us why Bowdoin was her first choice.

Liam tells us what stereotypes he heard about Bowdoin before coming here.

Kris tells us what he likes to do in his free time.

Julio tells us what his favorite class and favorite movie is, and what he does in his free time.

John tells us about his favorite movie, favorite class, what he does in his free time and the people at Bowdoin.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Daniel tells us why he chose Bowdoin over Amherst, Middlebury, Princeton and Dartmouth.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Caroline tells us why she chose Bowdoin over Florida colleges.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Anna tells us why she chose Bowdoin over other schools.

Adit tells us about his favorite movie, favorite class, and what he likes to do in his free time.

Describe the dorms.

A walk through freshman dorms halls and a look around a standard freshman double.

Best week of the year!

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Bowdoin baseball game - trees surround everything at Bowdoin.

Describe a typical weekend.

Typical Bowdoin party

Lobsters are synonymous with Maine.

A big part of Bowdoin's draw is its proximity to the ocean.

Driving by the social houses, campus, dorms

When you step off campus what do you see?

Cameron takes a drive through Brunswick

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Students at a party explain why they chose Bowdoin.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Julie tells us why she chose Bowdoin.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Library, study areas, computer lab

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Walk through the Thorne dining hall

Tell us about the food and dining options.

A walk through the Frontier cafe and a view of the dam and bridge

Bowdoin College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.