Brunswick, ME
Bowdoin College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bowdoin College

Cameron

Bowdoin is a place where people are generally really nice. Nice is definately the word. Sometimes I wish there were a little more 'alternative' people at Bowdoin, most people are quite middle of the road: nice, but a little boring. But, we are always finding new people we didn't know existed. You need to work at widening your circle, its easy to end up hanging out with the same 8 or so people for 4 years. The campus itself IS small, but there's a lot to do. Every weekend I have a reason to stay on campus. If you DO want to get off its pretty easy but you need to be on top of your shit: there's shuttles that can take you into Portland (about 1/2 and hour) and a bus that leaves from the hockey rink. I really like town: there's not much there but theres pretty much everything I need and I like Brunswick townies: you can just hang out in a store and talk to the owner if you would want to. Plus, the weather get gross sometimes and so you're glad its small and you dont have to go far to get to the supermarket or wherever. Even though I think more than half bowdoin kids do a sport, there's not that much school pride, people don't get psyched for much except the hockey team. People don't really go to games that often, thought we did get a pep band last year.

Statistically there's not that much diversity at Bowdoin: racial, economical, sexual. But that's not to say the campus is devoid of different kinds of people. I have met all sorts of people at Bowdoin from a wide variety of backgrounds, and I'm still meeting different people. I think because bowdoin is so small you're most likely to actually meet some people who in a larger setting you might never get an oppurtunity to talk to.

By and large, I think yes. Bowdoin kids on the whole are smart, really active, and have some form of dirty hippie within them. Our Sustainable Bowdoin and Outing club are really active on campus. As for preppy, I've gone to prep school, and I definately can see a carry over into Bowdoin, but there are plenty of people who are not preppy, who are not from rich suburbs. You do have to like nature to go here, the harsh weather in the winter and the pretty bucolic surroundings have been known to drive some city kids a little crazy.

Academics at Bowdoin are challenging but generally very good. Sometimes you are going to get a crappy professor who is not clear or who is himself not very interested in the topic: like my general chem class. Honestly, my experience with intro and general classes in the science department have not been that great: the classes are big, the teachers are uninterested, and the material I pretty much have to teach myself. BUT there are some great classes too. Every art class I've taken here has been awesome; the art department is my favorite (to be fair, also the department I've had the most contact with), they're all approachable and awesome. I am a Visual arts and Neuroscience double major, which normally raises some eyebrows. The Neuroscience department is not really a solid entity- its kindof stretched between bio and psych, but the classes are fantastic. Right now I'm in a class called Behavioral Neuroscience, where we are doing behavioral and anatomical experiments with goldfish. We design the experiments as a group, and the subject matter is what our professor actually does his research on. Class size on the whole is pretty small, about 15 I think, and how much you work for them varies A LOT. There are some classes I don't think I EVER work for and some that have me working on things every night. Professors, though, are always really willing to help, they always have office hours, can meet up, check their email excessively and are pretty flexible.

Bowdoin is small, but there's a pretty diverse social scene. There's keg parties with so many people you can't breathe, there's wine and cheese parties, dinner parties, dance parties; I met one of my best friends here at a Contra Dance.

I think the Bowdoin stereotype is the crunchy granola preppy; from a well off suburb, but environmentally aware, and very sporty

Kelly

Bowdoin has an ideal student body population. It's just less than 2000 which at times may seem too small, but I am constantly meeting new people. It's nice to walk to class on any given day and say hello to a bunch of people along the way. Bowdoin's size is also its downfall at times when personal information gets around rapidly. Its degree of separation probably lies within two people. The best thing at Bowdoin is probably the student life in general, such as dining services, the dorms, and the amount of activity on the weekends. When I mention Bowdoin's name, people generally are hearing it for the first time, which is unfortunate because its a great school. The great thing is that those who do know Bowdoin love it. School pride at Bowdoin is dead; I blame it on the lack of a good football team. We're a D3 school so our athletics department, which generally is at the center of fostering school pride, isn't the greatest. One of the most recent controversies on campus involved the school's Credit/D/Fail option. Great schools such as Brown University provide this option for its students to venture into unknown realms of academia, unfortunately at Bowdoin we can neither use this option in pursuit of our major or in our distribution requirements. This new policy renders the Credit/D/Fail option useless. Brunswick is a quite town full of senior citizens... not the most exciting place. However, it is a pleasant atmosphere, full of cafes and ethnic cuisines. The school has a decent amount of options every weekend so the surrounding town isn't too much of a concern.

I am a Mexican girl from Hawaii and I feel very comfortable at Bowdoin. At times it is a bit difficult to see yourself as equal to your peers when you are constantly battling with the Bursar's Office (where the tuition gets settled). Students here definitely divide along racial lines. Maine is not a diverse state and so the diversity here at Bowdoin is generally imported which can make some students feel out of place. There's a lot discussion surrounding these issues and Bowdoin has made a lot of advances to ease this division. For example, Bowdoin just irradicated student loans which will bring a new wave of students to campus; the middle class and hopefully these students will help to break some of these economic class divisions.

I think college in general is not what I expected, and that's to say nothing against Bowdoin. I think Bowdoin is great, but there's a trend of relativism spreading around colleges and its a bit sad to see Bowdoin as a victim. I am enjoying my time here and I would recommend this school to any of my friends. My college experience thus far has been full of a growth both academic and personal that I have Bowdoin to thank for.

For the most part, yes. Almost all student are of some combination of this list.

My favorite class has been with Professor Morgan in Constitutional Law. He has amazing credentials and expertise in this area of law. In class he is quite entertaining and efficient in his lectures. I never thought I could be this interested in law until this class. I study every night for hours; Bowdoin keeps me academically challenged at all times. The thing that most surprised me was the lack of intellectual conversations outside of the classroom. I believe that this is a result of students being too strenuous on ‘political correctness’, and too damn liberal to be interested in getting another perspective. I myself am a moderate and I feel ostracized for it, I cannot imagine how conservatives must feel. Sadly, there’s even a lack of dialogue within the classrooms. I just joined a club, the Peucinian Society, and this has been the first time that I have encountered genuine intellectual discourse amongst my peers. Students are not competitive here which is great. There's a bunch of peer support and motivation that comes from within instead of pressured by peers. I am a double major in Government and Economics with a minor in Asian Studies. Government is Bowdoin's most pursued major and is full of outstanding professors. The economics department desperately needs more professors because the student demand is overwhelming, or at least has been during my time here. The Japanese curriculum is unbelievable here; there are so many venues of support stretching from weekly Japanese Table dinners and movie showings, to an annual fair with bates and Colby and Conversation Clinics. The academic requirements are very reflective of Bowdoin’s values. Students generally complete them without knowing it; this goes to show how easy they are to fulfill.

Students complain a lot about the lack of innovative weekend activities; social houses dominate the party atmosphere at Bowdoin, which is good because it gets freshman involved and welcomed into campus life, but its poor because the parties are a repeat every year. The dating scene is non-existant here at Bowdoin. Intimate interactions are reduced to weekend hook-ups and there isn't much legitimacy to any of these student relationships. Bowdoin students have 3-day weekends; not many students have classes on Fridays which is great because it's a day to run errands, meet with professors, and go to club meetings. There's a great deal of chem-free (the Bowdoin term for non-drinkers) events on campus; weekly movie showing and parties in the chem-free social house.

The stereotypical Bowdoin student is a white, upper class, boarding/prep school educated, New Englander, who cares dearly about the environment and other humanitarian issues, but will not hesitate to shop at Wal-Mart.

Brittney

Bowdoin's size is often a topic of discussion. Most of the time, the small student body is one of the best things about Bowdoin, it's always easy to find someone you know, classes are small, and professors are very accessible. Brunswick, Maine, is not the best of college towns, cafes close on Sundays, and most stores close early. Downtown Brunswick, aside from these complaints, is generally a nice place. Despite the small town, Bowdoin is not as isolated as one might think. Freeport, Maine is only 15 minutes away, and it's only 30 minutes to Portland.

Bowdoin is definitely attempting to address the issue of lacking diversity on campus. Most students tend to be of upper socio-economic classes. Bowdoin only gives scholarships based on need, so this issue is also being addressed by the college.

There are many students that do fit this stereotype, but this stereotype certainly does not fit the entire campus. Bowdoin is trying to increase diversity and I think that each class is moving a little bit away from this stereotype.

The small size at Bowdoin allows for small classes. The largest classes on campus are generally introductory courses of 50 students, and even in these classes, most professors will make an effort to learn the names of all the students. Professors are also generally very accessible outside of class. The government department is very strong at Bowdoin. It is also one of the most popular majors. The professors are very intelligent and helpful outside of class.

Athletics are very important at Bowdoin, and many students play on sports teams. Hockey games, especially Bowdoin vs. Colby are widely attended by the campus. Bowdoin students are also very friendly. Many students will leave the doors in their dorms open (this changes a little once students move into upper-classmen dorms) On the weekends, drinking is a big activity, and while there is are the options of "chem-free" dorms and an affiliated social house, there are not as many options for students who do not wish to drink on the weekends.

I think there is a stereotype that all Bowdoin students come from New England prep-schools and live just outside of Boston.

Susie

What most attracted me to Bowdoin was the friendly atmosphere that I found there. Bowdoin is a very small school, so you tend to run into someone who you know, no matter where you go on campus. Brunswick is also a great college town. It has a lot of cheap, homey restaurants and stores are within walking distance from campus. One of the most exciting events on campus is the Bowdoin-Colby ice hockey game. The risers are full and students have so much excitement and pride for their men's ice hockey team. One of my favorite things about Bowdoin is the attention that professors can give to their students. Not only are there world-class professors at Bowdoin, but they actually care about their students and encourage them to come to their office hours. The faculty is very welcoming and open to students' ideas. One thing that I would probably change about Bowdoin is the degree of drinking that happens. The college is relatively permissive of drinking, which makes a campus phenomenon that is sort of hard to get away from.

The Bowdoin campus is diverse, though it wouldn't look it, because students tends to separate into groups. There is tolerance for all different groups on campus, but this doesn't necessarily mean that they intermix. The Asian American students tend to be friends, the African American students tend to be friends and the white students tend to be friends and thus the dining hall can often seem a little segregated (though not on purpose). Most students come from the New England area. A lot of the students are also very rich, which was sort of difficult for me, coming from a more middle class background. Often the students are either rich or on a lot of financial aid, but there aren't that many students in the middle. Students are very politically aware and tend to be predominantly left. Bowdoin students are very aware of their future and being planning when they're still in college.

Bowdoin is great. I love it here and am glad that I chose to go here. Make sure you think twice about the location, if you tend to prefer for urban or even suburban areas. Though I'm often overwhelmed by the amount of drinking that goes on on campus I have met some really close friends here and am proud to say that I go to Bowdoin.

Though a lot of students fit the description of the preppy private-school kid, not all of the Bowdoin a like this. Bowdoin students have very diverse interests and styles. It certainly fits the stereotype of a heavy drinking school, however. Though there are plenty of chem-free students, a lot of students party every day of the weekend.

The academics are great at Bowdoin. I'm double majoring with one major in a very large department and one major in a very small department, so the size of my classes has ranged from 4 to 100. Both classes were good experiences for the me, though the smaller the class the more individual attention each student gets. Students are very intellectually curious and tend to be academically driven, but I wouldn't say that there is much competition among the students themselves. Grades aren't shared openly. The introductory classes are good, but the best classes are once to get up to the 200 and 300 level classes and professors teach in their are of study. Professors are so welcoming. I go to a language table every week and have developing relationships with all of the professors in my department of study. They are also open to enabling students to do what they want to do.

Athletes are very close to their team and tend to hang out together when they're not at practice or playing games. The most popular events on campus are acappella concerts and student-produced plays, though students will also show up for many of the common hour events, where the college brings prominent speakers to campus on Fridays. There is almost always an academic event or a speaker on campus, though participation at these events isn't always that high. Students are very open and many of them will leave their doors open during the day, especially in the freshmen dorms. A lot of students complain about the dating scene at Bowdoin, because either you don't have a boyfriend or you spend all your time with your boyfriend. There isn't much casual dating. Drinking is huge on campus and often quite hard to avoid if you want to go out on a weekend.

Bowdoin is stereotyped to be a very preppy school with a large number of students who went to private school. It is also typically though of as a school with a lot of drinking.

Reese

For me, Bowdoin college is the perfect size- just large enough to not have to see everyone everyday, but a small tight knit community. In this sort of setting, it is easy to find friends to hang with. Coming from a small town, this was a great transition. As for the town of Brunswick, where the college is placed, its a little dull for my liking, but pretty nice for the most part. The restaurants are amazing! I usually spend most of my time on campus, but this changes as you get older/ have a car!

Here at Bowdoin, at least from my perspective, most people don't flaunt their financial backgrounds, though there is MUCH money...its a $43,000/yr school, what do you expect? People may wear some high couture, but don't outright say "I'm rich, envy me". Its pretty chillax.

NO, granted there are rich students here, it doesn't really show...everyone is pretty chillax. Here, everyone is pretty much on the same level, no matter what socio-economic status.

The academics at Bowdoin are rigorous and time management is a must, but overall its great. For the most part, classes are small so knowing your professors is almost guaranteed. Outside of the classroom setting, information learned in class is usually carried out in normal conversation.

Bowdoin is a binge school, meaning that students prefer alcohol to other substances, though I have seen both on campus. Weekends usually start on Thursdays because Friday courses are rare (unless you're a science major). There are no frats or sororities here, but a college house system in which everyone on campus is included, which I think is SO much better. If you don't drink, there are plenty of things to do, like go to SUPERSNAX, eat out, go galactic bowling, watch movies or play guitar hero! The majority of freshman go to social house parties on the weekends, even if they don't drink because there is NOTHING else to do or they want a random hookup (Bowdoin is infamous for these), but as you get older, you learn that the partying at Bowdoin is weak and being with close friends is much more fun. During the week, its all about schoolwork and stress, but the weekend is a definite way to release.

They are rich arrogant and stuck up students.

Tristan

The small classes are an enormous advantage. My professors are more like friends than teachers; not only do they care about what you are learning academically, but also what you learn from and about life. The friendships that are built living closely with your classmates are strong and make it always enjoyable to be on campus.

The student body is diverse and widely talented. I am continually impressed by how many different things people do on campus. For the most part students care a lot about each other and are always looking out for each other. Students are not very competitive and usually open-minded.

Although the winters can be incredibly cold, the professors and students here are incredibly warm and support. I have many deep friendships that I have formed here that will last a lifetime.

As a liberal arts college Bowdoin provides a great range of subjects with professors that are always well qualified. Seminar courses have been my favorites over the past few years in terms of gaining a deep understanding of the material and forming friendships with all of my classes. Bowdoin prepares students for more than getting a job by helping to form an intelligent way of viewing the world and life.

The beauty about a small school like Bowdoin is that there is room to get involved in many things. Many of my friends participate in theater and sports, study math and art. There are organizations for everything and if there isn't an organization for something you're interested in a friendly student board will help you make it happen.

The winters are cold and we spend all of our time inside and studying.

Kelly

Socially speaking Bowdoin is great on the weekend because the people are great on the weekend. That said, it is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who can't do without a clubbing/bar nightlife. Portland does get some good music from time to time, though, and there's an incredible variety of cultural opportunities that come with being at a college that's as distinguished in the realm of academia as Bowdoin is.

Again, the people are great, and thus the nightlife is more than sufficient for those who get off on friends and community. That's important in the cold months of the Maine winter (though in all fairness the fall and the last month of school are beautiful), and is something that has more than anything made Bowdoin my home.

I think that pretty much says it. I could go on about any of a number of things, but these are the attributes that have made Bowdoin not just an awesome place to be, but also my home.

Of the sixteen classes I have taken or am taking, ten have been in the 12 or fewer seminar size range, and many have been even smaller than that, and when the professors are as amazing (as in approachable, awesome human beings) as they are at Bowdoin, this makes for a pretty sweet academic experience.

Again, the kids are great, and thus the social life is great. It's definitely a school that's into organizations, whether that's varsity athletics, the Outing Club, Club Sports, Activist/Political organizations, and I think it's a significantly more rewarding place socially if you're the type of person that gets into these kinds of activities. I started rowing last year, and not only are we a small, intimate program comprised of fun kids with whom I always have a great time, we are also dedicated, and quite competitive for such a small program.

That we're pretty tough, since it's cold up here.

That we're pretty tough since it's cold.

Mary

I don't think the undergraduate experience gets any richer than it is at Bowdoin. Like any other school, Bowdoin has its shortcomings, but it is really top-notch in most regards. When current students look at the now 18 percent admission rate, many of them will say that they shouldn't have gotten in, or they don't know how they made the cut. But students don't end up here because they aced the SAT or took 13 AP courses in high school. While students are very smart, I think they're here because they're incredibly interesting and passionate.

When I tell my friends at other colleges that I drop in my professors' office hours just to say hello and have a conversation, they usually can't relate. Almost every student has at least one professor that they have a personal relationship with (and in many cases, consider a hero of sorts). Professors are brilliant and engaging in class, and they seem to be excited to help students on a one-on-one basis outside of class as well. They challenge you on an individual level, which makes you take a bit more pride in your work.

One fairly accurate generalization of Bowdoin students is that they are smart and driven, but not too stressed out or competitive. Most students here seem to be really passionate about what they're studying and eager to discuss what they're learning about with their classmates. I don't get the sense that people try to "out-work" one another. People work hard for themselves and their professors. Because you get to know some of your professors pretty well (and respect them a great deal), you feel like you are letting them down if you turn in anything less than your best work.

Alison

The campus is AMAZING - food, housing, facilites, college houses- it is really really catered nicely to students. Maine is BEAUTIFUL. We're kind of an obscure school- for being one of the top 10 colleges in the country, I wish that we were better known. I spend most of my time on campus, but the town of Brunswick is really great, and easy to walk to. People do tend to have a lot of pride for Bowdoin, although occassionaly I get the feeling that people see the student body as just a bunch of ivy-league rejects, which dissappoints me because Bowdoin was my top choice. There aren't too many complaints, and when there are it seems easy to get access to the appropriate people to voice them.

There is a WIDE variety of types of people here- I think that there is definitely a group for everyone here. I like to say that most Bowdoin students are "very mainstream with a few quirks". Most people are pretty friendly, and mix with diverse people. I get the sense that the vast majority of people here are very well off economically. If there is one thing that I don't like about the student body, it is that too many kids have the prep-school (wealthy) mentality, and there is pressure to fit in with that.

Bowdoin is amazing for the type of person that is ambitious and smart but wants to be in a fairly relaxed environment. You feel very valued as an individual going to this school!!

Yeah, kind of. Definitely a lot of prep school kids who (more or less) payed their way here. A LOT of athletes. also a lot of really outdoorsy people. Basically the only thing to do on weekends is drink, and during the week everyone is really focused on school work- kind of bipolar.

Most of my professors have been incredible! They always know everyone's name, even in a 50 person class, which has been my largest so far. Students for the most part are interested and engaged in class. I like that we can take classes on obscure topics (I took "Religiosities of South Asia" my freshman year and loved it). Students are competitive with themselves (always striving to get good grades), but not usually with each other, which I really appreciate.

Social houses are THE BEST!! They bring the best of Fraternities/Sororities without the exclusiveness/danger. There are tons of organizations to get invovled with, and it's easy to start your own. Since we have such a good relationship with the town of Brunswick, it's also really easy to get involved in the community. Because it's so small, the dating scene is a little bit weird, because you're always dating someone who dated someone else who you knew, but you get used to it. There are tons of lectures/concerts/sports/other events to go to on a consistent basis. Most dorms have friendly atmospheres. Mostly on the weekends it's drinking, although there is never any peer pressure to drink. There is a fairly large chem free contingent that does stuff.

That it's filled with elite prep school jocks. Also, there is a reputation for a big hippie crowd. Another stereotype is that we have the work hard, play hard ethic.

Harper

Bowdoin is hands down the most amazing place ever. I was totally one of those people who disliked highschool and never put much thought into school spirit. This all changed when I got to Bowdoin. The place and the people are so incredible that you can't help but be proud of it. The people here love to be active. The gym is a campus hotspot while others swear it off prefering the ample outdoors activities that surround the campus. Even in the dead of our intense Maine winters we make the most of it. Its an incredible college experience.

While Bowdoin students are incredibly diverse with respect to their interests, they are not particularly diverse when it comes to race, sexual orientation or socio-economic issues. That being said, everyone is really interested in increasing the diversity on campus. No one would feel out of place here as everyone is so welcoming but many of the students here are wealthy easterners. This shouldn't scare anyone as anyone who breaks this mold is a hot commodity and source of interest.

Not at all. There are definitly a lot of different types of people at Bowdoin. Many are incredibly preppy and these tend to overshadow the granola types here. No matter how you would define yourself though, you will be able to find you niche.

Academics here are definitly challenging. We have a lot of work and everyone here is definitly intelligent. At the same time, it appears that many of the Bowdoin students were once overacheivers in highschool but now want a little more time to figure things out in college. Professors are generally amazing and the small class sizes really allow you to get to know them and seek and help that you may need.

So many activities! You can really find whatever you are interested in here which is surprising for such a small school. If by chance what you want isn't here they encourage the development of new groups. Its kind of easy to get over your head however as there are so many enthusiastic people and groups that can suck you in. In terms of on campus activities there are plenty. Although we are in Maine there is no shortage of things to do on the weekend. You can pretty much find whatever your looking for. Parties are ample and rarely exclusive at all. The Social House system really helps get things going for the Underclassman The College also does a great job of bringing in speakers to keep us intellectually stimualted as well and often times there are so many great discussions on each night that its hard to choose.

That Bowdoin is a big hippie school where everyone eats granola and skis in Maine.

Bowdoin College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.