Peoria, IL
Bradley University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bradley University

Christina

After spending a year at Bradley I honestly could not see myself anywhere else. The campus is the prefect size. I would say there is a 7 minute maximum walk of getting to any class, and in the winter with the snow the small campus is a blessing!! The quad is awesome too, especially when it's nice out!! laying outside and playing catch or frisbee is the best. Also conveniently located across the street in Campus Town are a variety of places to eat of which the majority accept 'quick cash' which is on your id card. Campus Town also has a Blockbuster, CVS, Save-a-lot (which is a great cheap place for generic groceries,) Starbucks, Sallys Beauty Supply store, and a Salon and Tanning. Jimmy Johns, Papa Johns and McDonalds are all within walking distance as well. Outside campus, the city of Peoria has much to offer. Peoria is the second largest city in the state of Illinois. With a car there is plenty to do. It offers 2 malls, one indoor and a brand new outdoor mall. There are numerous Wal-marts and Buffalo Wild Wings and Culvers. There a many options when you are looking to catch a flick at the show. The riverfront is awesome too, there's plenty of good eats down there. Also downtown is fun, mostly if you're 21 though. The bars are all located downtown and it's only a 5 minute drive down Main street. When I'm on campus, i'm usually in my dorm. Living in the dorms was so fun!! If the weather is nice though there is no question you will find me outside on the quad somewhere.

Bradley has a great student body!!! We are diverse and yet accepting of eachother. Freshman year was great because I had met so many different people. At Bradley we have a wide variety of people, Whites, Blacks, Mexicans, Peurto Ricans, Asians, Indians, Arabians, Polish, Hawaiians, Catholics, Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists and so on. I had never been exposed to this much diversity in a school setting before and I had a blast getting to learn about new cultures and religions. I truly believe that anyone could come to Bradley and find their place within. Bradley students are your typical students. We are lazy and the majority of us dress like bums to class on a daily basis. Although you will see many of the upper classmen in suits and ties for interships and jobs, the nursing students in scrubs, on Tuesday many of the sororities and fraternities are required to dress up in buisness attire, and you can always tell a Bradley athlete because they are usualy wearing either Red or Grey. Over the past year I've come to find that the majority of students that attend bradley come from 3 major areas including Chicago, St. Louis, and The Quad cities (near Iowa). But Bradley is not limited to these areas. I've met people from Puerto Rico, California, Hawaii, Texas, New York, Minnesota, Michigan, Tennesse, Alaska, and plenty of other states. I would say Bradley students are politically aware. Where you find educated people, I believe you find people that know about politics. I wouldn't say if Bradley sways a certain way on the political spectrum, but you will find that politics is always a topic of dicussion. I believe that Bradley is a great school today, and I am excited for its future as well. Our Student Senate is doing an awesome job on improving the campus. I've already seen a few changes including the remodeling of lounges and the replacment and addition of campus lighting and I have heard of future plans for a new student center and have taken numerous surveys on what the school can do to better it for students.

Overall I love Bradley to death. I'm so happy with my decision to come here although as far as academics for my freshman year I wish I would have had a little better guidance and not taken on such a load. If there is one things to really complain about, its TAP. A.k.a. the Task Force. The task force are state police whose only joy in life is to screw you. They have certains dates that they notify the school that they will be in town but they also may show up randomly whenever they please. When you hear they're in town, the best choice is to hit up blockbuster and just stay in. Sometime they are undercover sometimes not. They look for parties or drive around and look for drunk drivers and I've also heard of them stopping kids on the street. They are looking for those underage drinkers. And if you've had but a sip, they will slap you with a $425 drinking ticket. Yea thanks. And even if you have not had a sip of anything alcoholic, but are in the presence as a minor, you do run the risk of a premicise ticket which I believe is somewhere in the 200's. I know they are out to protect us and are technically looking out for our best interests, but really, it's a little rediculous. The Bradley University police do a fine job of this. One other thing I would like to mention is safety. This year I have never felt threatened or unsafe while walking anywhere on campus or even across to campus town. Police are constantly patrolling on bike or in cars. Bradley also has the blue emergency poles which are easy to spot and i've seen them in action. The University police are quick to respond. Also with the new lighting project taking place, the lighting at night is way better than before which really makes me feel better about walking home late when it's dark from the library or a friends. In the begining of the year the freshman are given whistles in case of emergency, and I took the extra step and bought myself a pepper spray for my key chain. College was a big adjustment, but Peoria and Bradley are now my home.

Over the course of freshman year I did meet quiet a few people to whom money was no object. But I also met many that were at Bradley because of scholarships they had recieved and without these scholarships would not be able to attend the university because of financial restrictions. Bradley has a very diverse community of students and many organizations and clubs that support the different groups on campus. As far as being snotty, you'll find those kind of people no matter where you are.

Academics... Well, last I heard Bradley ranks number 6 in top schools in the mid-west. This doesn't surprise me. I could ham it up, but i'm not going to lie. Bradley was HARD!!!!!!! Not just hard, REALLY hard. I busted my ass and barely managed C's. It's the complete and polar opposite of anything that my highschool was. Things are not handed to you on a silver platter. In highschool, your teachers have degrees in education, they know how to teach. In college, you're teachers have masters and doctorates in their fields of study, they have probably never taken an education course in their life. This holds true for many colleges and universities. The reality is, in college you will have to teach yourself. I learned this after first semester, unfortunately. I did have a few good professors, but I also had some of the worst. My Biology classes have been the largest with I would say a maximum of about 80 people. You will find that your general education classes are the largest because everyone is required to take them at some point. In my other classes though, my teachers do know my name, and that is partly because of class participation. As far as studying at Bradley, it's a wise choice. Although you may not always want to, when you are just sitting around watching TV or something, just keep in mind there is probably something that you could be studying for. Bradley is a very competitive school, a minimum GPA of a 2.0 is required by the University, and for specific departments such as nursing or business or engineering these usually have their own specific GPA requirments that tend to be above a 2.0. You may be thinking to yourself that a 2.0 is easy, not so much. My freshman year I took 17 credit hours and ended up with a 2.43. I graduated with a 3.5 from highschool and 26 on my ACT. A 2.43 for me was a shock. If I have any advice it's to never take more than 16 credit hours your freshman year and to take as many of your general education classes at a community college. Coming into school I thought I would be fine with 17 credit hours, but it was just too much. And what really brought my GPA down was general education courses that I did not do well in. If you take them at a community college they do not affect your GPA at Bradley, and they will generally cost you around a quarter of what you would pay at Bradley.

Bradley has a million different groups/clubs/organizations, I really think there is something for everyone. Bradley is a Basketball school. Mens Basketball is what draws alot of attention to the school in the first place. Also Mens soccer in the fall is popular. Sadly, we do not have a football team. Living in the dorms at Bradley was a great time. Dorms alternate guy/girl by floor, and it's the best. Generally people prop their doors open with bricks when they're home and not busy, it's just a fun atmosphere. Greek life is a HUGE part of the university. Bradley has a total of 7 sororities and 15 fraternities. Joining my sorority is how i met some of my closest friends at school. I would say that the majority of the partying does happen, but is not limited to, the fraternities. You can usually walk in to one and find something going on. Although the dorms are dry, there have been quiet a few parties in select rooms. Also like I mentioned earlier, downtown is a great place to go to the bars, or farmington road as well. People party all days of the week. It just depends on what their schedule allows. And of course thrusday, fridays and saturdays are the big days for drinking. Recently there are things that Bradley has come up with as an alternative for drinking of the weekends. They offer new movies for a dollar in the theatre and I believe they are starting a late night club, alcohol free of course.

Because we are a small (roughly 6,000 undergrads) private school we tend to get the snotty, rich, white kid stereotype.

This school isn't too small but for the amount of greek life it is way too small. Greek life overwhelms the entire school. The city sucks, it doesn't offer anything to draw students too it. When people hear that i go to bradley, most of them are overly impressed because they think you have to be really smart to go to bradley which is not the case. I spend most of my time in the dorms or quad. The biggest and most recent controversy is the death of two bradley students under the influence of alcohol. School pride is decent, but nothing like a state school. Bradley isn't really unique or interesting. There are some cool people but you have to find them. I think this school is extremely clicky and divided. There are also a lot of rich snobs that attend the school. I think the school would be perfect if there were no frats or sororities.

The classes are generally small except for some large gen ed. classes that everyone has to take. These classes usually top out at 100 tops.

I don't know what the stereotypes about bradley are. But bradley I think is known for being "clickey".

Ryan

I like the size of Bradley. It's small, but not tiny. It's big enough that if you end up switching your major, there's a good chance that you'll be able to find the one that you want. It's small enough that you have the chance to know your teachers well, if you choose to. There are also opportunities for things like research that I know would not be available to undergraduate students at a larger school. The administration at Bradley seems somewhat disconnected from the student body. Students at Bradley are pretty apathetic. There isn't much school pride. The campus isn't great. It feels like everywhere you go you end up walking through a parking lot. The dorms are pretty small and dingy, too. I've seen much nicer dorms at other schools. Some of the academic buildings are very nice, but others need renovation, which some will get during the current construction on campus. There aren't a lot of places to "hang out" on campus. The student center is pretty pathetic. The part of Peoria where Bradley is located is pretty sketchy. I often do not feel safe on or around campus. There's not a whole lot to do in Peoria or on campus. A lot of people end up drinking most weekends because there's nothing else to do.

Most Bradley students are from either the Chicago area, small Illinois towns, or the St. Louis area. There are a few students who come from further away. There are a LOT of comuter students. Racial groups mix little on Bradley campus. White students are definitely a large majority. Minority students have many exclusive groups (clubs and Greek organizations). I feel like they get a lot of unfair special treatment and do not mix with white students by choice. Bradley students come from a lot of different financial backgrounds due to Bradley's generous financial aid department. Most students are not very politically active. The student body as a whole is pretty apathetic.

No. Bradley offers a lot of financial aid, in my case making in more affordable than a state school. Bradley students come from all different financial backgrounds.

My favorite thing about Bradley is the Chemistry department. Every single teacher in that department knows my name. They really go out of their way to help you out and really care about how you're doing, both as a student and as a person. I missed a week of school last semester because I was sick. The week I came back I couldn't make it through a day without a faculty member stopping me in the hallway to ask me how I was feeling. The teachers post office hours, but most of them are willing to see you any time they're not busy. They'll sit and help you, many of them for as long as it takes for you to understand the material. The Chemistry department also offers opportunities to gain very valuable research experience. I've gotten to know my research advisor well and gained an idea of what research as a graduate student will be like. Earlier classes are taught in big lecuture halls, but upper level classes are small. Even though the classes taught in a lecture hall were big, I never felt like a teacher didn't have time to answer my questions out of class. Most of my negative experiences with a class at Bradley have been in the general education courses. Many of them are poorly taught and I gained little knowledge that will ever prove useful.

There is pretty much a group on campus for anything you could imagine. If what you're looking for isn't there, it's not unheard of for students to create new groups. I met my closest friends in the dorms and in groups that I'm involved in. People drink a lot on Bradley's campus because there's not a whole lot else to do.

The only stereotype I can think of is that we're all rich because we go to a private school.

Dale

I love the feel of the campus. It's not huge and it's not tiny. The walk to class in the morning is so short that no matter where you live on campus you can leave within 10 minutes of when your class starts. People are always impressed when you say you go to Bradley. When I wear my Bradley sweatshirt at home, people will actually stop me in the grocery store to talk about the school.

LGBT students are very underrepresented, but I haven't witnessed any violence or even hatred towards the few I know. As for race, there are few Hispanics and few Asians, a good number of African Americans who all seem to stick together all the time, and the majority of the campus is white. Almost everyone at Bradley is from the Chicago area. St. Louis is also represented. The rest of mostly from small farm towns throughout Illinois and other neighboring states. The clothes worn to class vary by major. In humanity or science classes wearing pajamas is not uncommon, especially around tests. On the business side of campus, people try to dress nicer.

Underage drinking will probably become more and more difficult since the tickets are extremely expensive in Peoria and the new president is starting a new set of rules about drinking that are very strict. I personally think it's a little too strong. They're just going to force kids to hide their drinking more, and when they do it's going to be more and more irresponsible. Overall, I love Bradley. It's a great school and a great place to spend your college years.

No, though a large portion of Bradley students are on the wealthier side.

Bradley is a good academic school. Some majors are harder than others, but a lot of them try to make sure you have a well-rounded education. I'm a Health Science major, and I was required to have a minor or other concentration, plus I had to take a business class, a teaching class, and a human relationships development class, and two of the three dealt with those issues from a healthcare point of view 100% of the time.

I am in APO or Alpha Phi Omega, which is a co-ed service fraternity. We participate in and hold many service events every semester, but we also hold leadership events and several friendship events every semester. One example of this is an IDP, or Instant Date Party. Everyone in APO is invited to go somewhere after chapter for free and they can bring a date. You don't know it's going to happen until chapter is over and it is announced. If I'm up at 2 am on a weeknight, I'm usually studying. Or talking to my friends who are also up "studying".

People in Peoria think Bradley students are all rich snobs who call Daddy whenever they need money.

Jill

Bradley consists of about 5,000 undergraduates and I believe it's the perfect size. I didn't want to attend a big school but also wanted a school that had enough people with which to interact and share interests. It is an upstanding school that offers a lot of academic choices as well as extracurriculars. The choices are amazing. The campus is small and very pretty - I like the scenery and the grounds are kept very well.

Most of Bradley is white and is from the suburbs of Chicago. The other two major groups of people tend to be African Americans and Middle Easterners. From what I've come across, the three major groupings of people don't tend to interact unless it's for a class project. Bradley doesn't seem to be too religious or too political. Most of the students come from middle to upper middle class families, which shouldn't be surprising due to the tuition costs.

I love Bradley. I had some problems Freshman year - questioning if I made the right choice about Bradley as opposed to a school closer to home. I've since learned that that's pretty typical thinking for Freshmans. Since then, I've come to love Bradley. It's an amazing school with great teachers and awesome academics. The only thing that bothers me about Bradley is its location - Peoria. I absolutely hate Peoria. It's a run down town with a downtown in which I don't feel safe.

From what I've come across, yes. Com majors seem to have it pretty easy and Greek life is everywhere and sometimes it bothers people like me who are not interested in that sort of lifestyle.

I love the class sizes. I've been in classes of close to 70 and had a class of 6, including myself. The size of the class really depends on the type of class it is. Gen Eds are typically bigger classes and classes focused on your major and higher level classes tend to get rather small. Most of my teachers would remember me if I approached them and said hi, semesters after having them. I try to make it a point to talk one on one with my teachers at the beginning of the semester and I have no problems asking them for help in any way. Teachers are extremely understanding in all situations and teachers, in general, are extremely fair.

The first one that comes to mind is that Com majors don't do much of anything. The population of Greeks on campus is high and everywhere you look, there's Greek events/people.

Paul

I think Bradley is the perfect size. Students have the ability to become the type of adults they want to grow into. The kind of people that go to Bradley are very nice, but alcohol is still a problem. Alcohol is just a problem every where.

Don't really care about anything unless it effects them directly.

Bradley is a great school, but the decision making is leaving out the freedom of choice. We don't need faculty to make decisions for us.

You do not have to be really smart to come here, but you have to work hard.

Getting killed by the Illinois police.

Small School Jewish School Rich School Engineer School Bad sports team No school spirit boring too many drinking tickets ghost town on the weekends

Small class size is beneficial. Peoria is pretty boring unless you're 21. None of the dorms are very impressive. I recommend living at home or off-campus.

The student body can be classified into two groups: students in a sorority/frat and students who aren't.

Because Bradley is a smaller university there may only be one professor who teaches a class so if you have a problem with them, you're pretty much screwed. There are a lot of required general education classes but Bradley is good about transferring them in from community colleges.

Lee

Bradley has a relatively small campus and is located in Peoria, Illinois. You can probably walk from one end of the campus to the other in about 10 minutes. Some dont like the small college feel, but I find it rather calming. Being a commuter is definitely not any fun, since parking spots typically fill up after 9AM and stay full until about 5PM. With the recent amount of construction happening, its even harder to find a legitimate parking space.

I have no real ties to any government or religious groups. Most students wear casual clothing to class with the exception being the students that work. Most students come from wealthy backgrounds.

Disregard anything about how campus life and drinking can be negatively portrayed. A few accidents have occurred at Bradley University that have resulted in the deaths of two students. This is becoming more of a political move rather than a safety move. Students at every college will party and when alcohol is involved accidents can happen. Since Bradley is located in Peoria and is very close to some large attractions, it is just more likely that accidents will occur. Know your limits but dont be too scared to go have some fun.

Yes and no, while Bradley does have a strong engineering background, the college offers many majors. Every person is unique and no matter what you major in you will be surrounded by people you like.

Every single professor I have had has known my name. Even professors that teach in lecture halls. I will probably keep fairly close contact with some of my professors after I graduate. Depending on the classroom and the course, most students participate in classroom discussion. And after class, nearly all students can talk with one another. Most of my classes require a good amount of studying to maintain good grades. In all honesty I would say I havent had to study for one or two classes. All students are very competitive and any way you can set yourself apart is helpful.

There are some active fraternities and sororities at Bradley that all contribute to society in one way or another. Many of my friends are fraternity members and there seems to be no grudges between them. I spend much of my time at home being a commuting student, but I will occasionally spend time with my friends from Bradley outside of class. We have gone to bars, out to eat, played paintball, hit the driving range and more.

One fairly common stereotype is that the college is just for engineering. There are thousands of stereotypes about engineers.

Bradley University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.