Peoria, IL
Bradley University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bradley University

This school isn't too small but for the amount of greek life it is way too small. Greek life overwhelms the entire school. The city sucks, it doesn't offer anything to draw students too it. When people hear that i go to bradley, most of them are overly impressed because they think you have to be really smart to go to bradley which is not the case. I spend most of my time in the dorms or quad. The biggest and most recent controversy is the death of two bradley students under the influence of alcohol. School pride is decent, but nothing like a state school. Bradley isn't really unique or interesting. There are some cool people but you have to find them. I think this school is extremely clicky and divided. There are also a lot of rich snobs that attend the school. I think the school would be perfect if there were no frats or sororities.

The classes are generally small except for some large gen ed. classes that everyone has to take. These classes usually top out at 100 tops.

I don't know what the stereotypes about bradley are. But bradley I think is known for being "clickey".

Ryan

I like the size of Bradley. It's small, but not tiny. It's big enough that if you end up switching your major, there's a good chance that you'll be able to find the one that you want. It's small enough that you have the chance to know your teachers well, if you choose to. There are also opportunities for things like research that I know would not be available to undergraduate students at a larger school. The administration at Bradley seems somewhat disconnected from the student body. Students at Bradley are pretty apathetic. There isn't much school pride. The campus isn't great. It feels like everywhere you go you end up walking through a parking lot. The dorms are pretty small and dingy, too. I've seen much nicer dorms at other schools. Some of the academic buildings are very nice, but others need renovation, which some will get during the current construction on campus. There aren't a lot of places to "hang out" on campus. The student center is pretty pathetic. The part of Peoria where Bradley is located is pretty sketchy. I often do not feel safe on or around campus. There's not a whole lot to do in Peoria or on campus. A lot of people end up drinking most weekends because there's nothing else to do.

Most Bradley students are from either the Chicago area, small Illinois towns, or the St. Louis area. There are a few students who come from further away. There are a LOT of comuter students. Racial groups mix little on Bradley campus. White students are definitely a large majority. Minority students have many exclusive groups (clubs and Greek organizations). I feel like they get a lot of unfair special treatment and do not mix with white students by choice. Bradley students come from a lot of different financial backgrounds due to Bradley's generous financial aid department. Most students are not very politically active. The student body as a whole is pretty apathetic.

No. Bradley offers a lot of financial aid, in my case making in more affordable than a state school. Bradley students come from all different financial backgrounds.

My favorite thing about Bradley is the Chemistry department. Every single teacher in that department knows my name. They really go out of their way to help you out and really care about how you're doing, both as a student and as a person. I missed a week of school last semester because I was sick. The week I came back I couldn't make it through a day without a faculty member stopping me in the hallway to ask me how I was feeling. The teachers post office hours, but most of them are willing to see you any time they're not busy. They'll sit and help you, many of them for as long as it takes for you to understand the material. The Chemistry department also offers opportunities to gain very valuable research experience. I've gotten to know my research advisor well and gained an idea of what research as a graduate student will be like. Earlier classes are taught in big lecuture halls, but upper level classes are small. Even though the classes taught in a lecture hall were big, I never felt like a teacher didn't have time to answer my questions out of class. Most of my negative experiences with a class at Bradley have been in the general education courses. Many of them are poorly taught and I gained little knowledge that will ever prove useful.

There is pretty much a group on campus for anything you could imagine. If what you're looking for isn't there, it's not unheard of for students to create new groups. I met my closest friends in the dorms and in groups that I'm involved in. People drink a lot on Bradley's campus because there's not a whole lot else to do.

The only stereotype I can think of is that we're all rich because we go to a private school.

Dale

I love the feel of the campus. It's not huge and it's not tiny. The walk to class in the morning is so short that no matter where you live on campus you can leave within 10 minutes of when your class starts. People are always impressed when you say you go to Bradley. When I wear my Bradley sweatshirt at home, people will actually stop me in the grocery store to talk about the school.

LGBT students are very underrepresented, but I haven't witnessed any violence or even hatred towards the few I know. As for race, there are few Hispanics and few Asians, a good number of African Americans who all seem to stick together all the time, and the majority of the campus is white. Almost everyone at Bradley is from the Chicago area. St. Louis is also represented. The rest of mostly from small farm towns throughout Illinois and other neighboring states. The clothes worn to class vary by major. In humanity or science classes wearing pajamas is not uncommon, especially around tests. On the business side of campus, people try to dress nicer.

Underage drinking will probably become more and more difficult since the tickets are extremely expensive in Peoria and the new president is starting a new set of rules about drinking that are very strict. I personally think it's a little too strong. They're just going to force kids to hide their drinking more, and when they do it's going to be more and more irresponsible. Overall, I love Bradley. It's a great school and a great place to spend your college years.

No, though a large portion of Bradley students are on the wealthier side.

Bradley is a good academic school. Some majors are harder than others, but a lot of them try to make sure you have a well-rounded education. I'm a Health Science major, and I was required to have a minor or other concentration, plus I had to take a business class, a teaching class, and a human relationships development class, and two of the three dealt with those issues from a healthcare point of view 100% of the time.

I am in APO or Alpha Phi Omega, which is a co-ed service fraternity. We participate in and hold many service events every semester, but we also hold leadership events and several friendship events every semester. One example of this is an IDP, or Instant Date Party. Everyone in APO is invited to go somewhere after chapter for free and they can bring a date. You don't know it's going to happen until chapter is over and it is announced. If I'm up at 2 am on a weeknight, I'm usually studying. Or talking to my friends who are also up "studying".

People in Peoria think Bradley students are all rich snobs who call Daddy whenever they need money.

Jill

Bradley consists of about 5,000 undergraduates and I believe it's the perfect size. I didn't want to attend a big school but also wanted a school that had enough people with which to interact and share interests. It is an upstanding school that offers a lot of academic choices as well as extracurriculars. The choices are amazing. The campus is small and very pretty - I like the scenery and the grounds are kept very well.

Most of Bradley is white and is from the suburbs of Chicago. The other two major groups of people tend to be African Americans and Middle Easterners. From what I've come across, the three major groupings of people don't tend to interact unless it's for a class project. Bradley doesn't seem to be too religious or too political. Most of the students come from middle to upper middle class families, which shouldn't be surprising due to the tuition costs.

I love Bradley. I had some problems Freshman year - questioning if I made the right choice about Bradley as opposed to a school closer to home. I've since learned that that's pretty typical thinking for Freshmans. Since then, I've come to love Bradley. It's an amazing school with great teachers and awesome academics. The only thing that bothers me about Bradley is its location - Peoria. I absolutely hate Peoria. It's a run down town with a downtown in which I don't feel safe.

From what I've come across, yes. Com majors seem to have it pretty easy and Greek life is everywhere and sometimes it bothers people like me who are not interested in that sort of lifestyle.

I love the class sizes. I've been in classes of close to 70 and had a class of 6, including myself. The size of the class really depends on the type of class it is. Gen Eds are typically bigger classes and classes focused on your major and higher level classes tend to get rather small. Most of my teachers would remember me if I approached them and said hi, semesters after having them. I try to make it a point to talk one on one with my teachers at the beginning of the semester and I have no problems asking them for help in any way. Teachers are extremely understanding in all situations and teachers, in general, are extremely fair.

The first one that comes to mind is that Com majors don't do much of anything. The population of Greeks on campus is high and everywhere you look, there's Greek events/people.

Paul

I think Bradley is the perfect size. Students have the ability to become the type of adults they want to grow into. The kind of people that go to Bradley are very nice, but alcohol is still a problem. Alcohol is just a problem every where.

Don't really care about anything unless it effects them directly.

Bradley is a great school, but the decision making is leaving out the freedom of choice. We don't need faculty to make decisions for us.

You do not have to be really smart to come here, but you have to work hard.

Getting killed by the Illinois police.

Small School Jewish School Rich School Engineer School Bad sports team No school spirit boring too many drinking tickets ghost town on the weekends

Small class size is beneficial. Peoria is pretty boring unless you're 21. None of the dorms are very impressive. I recommend living at home or off-campus.

The student body can be classified into two groups: students in a sorority/frat and students who aren't.

Because Bradley is a smaller university there may only be one professor who teaches a class so if you have a problem with them, you're pretty much screwed. There are a lot of required general education classes but Bradley is good about transferring them in from community colleges.

Lee

Bradley has a relatively small campus and is located in Peoria, Illinois. You can probably walk from one end of the campus to the other in about 10 minutes. Some dont like the small college feel, but I find it rather calming. Being a commuter is definitely not any fun, since parking spots typically fill up after 9AM and stay full until about 5PM. With the recent amount of construction happening, its even harder to find a legitimate parking space.

I have no real ties to any government or religious groups. Most students wear casual clothing to class with the exception being the students that work. Most students come from wealthy backgrounds.

Disregard anything about how campus life and drinking can be negatively portrayed. A few accidents have occurred at Bradley University that have resulted in the deaths of two students. This is becoming more of a political move rather than a safety move. Students at every college will party and when alcohol is involved accidents can happen. Since Bradley is located in Peoria and is very close to some large attractions, it is just more likely that accidents will occur. Know your limits but dont be too scared to go have some fun.

Yes and no, while Bradley does have a strong engineering background, the college offers many majors. Every person is unique and no matter what you major in you will be surrounded by people you like.

Every single professor I have had has known my name. Even professors that teach in lecture halls. I will probably keep fairly close contact with some of my professors after I graduate. Depending on the classroom and the course, most students participate in classroom discussion. And after class, nearly all students can talk with one another. Most of my classes require a good amount of studying to maintain good grades. In all honesty I would say I havent had to study for one or two classes. All students are very competitive and any way you can set yourself apart is helpful.

There are some active fraternities and sororities at Bradley that all contribute to society in one way or another. Many of my friends are fraternity members and there seems to be no grudges between them. I spend much of my time at home being a commuting student, but I will occasionally spend time with my friends from Bradley outside of class. We have gone to bars, out to eat, played paintball, hit the driving range and more.

One fairly common stereotype is that the college is just for engineering. There are thousands of stereotypes about engineers.

Allison

they are somewhat true, but not totally. There are a lot of stupid, snobby kids, but there are a ton of cool people around as well. There may not be a lot to do in Peoria, but the University has a lot to offer.

Bradley provides a great academic environment. While there are a few classes that are conducted in lecture halls which may have over 100 people in them, the majority of classes have around 20 students. As move into the 300 and 400 level classes they become more seminar style- having closer to 10 students. This enables professors to give individual attention to the students. People at Bradley study as much as they want to. You can usually get by without it, but if you want to do well then you need to work hard. Class participation is encouraged and sometimes will affect your grade. The Department of International Studies is fairly small. The professors are incredibly smart and very friendly. It is easy to build a relationship in which you are on a first name basis with them. You can be as involved in the major as you want to be. Some people just go to classes, others hang out in the main department office and chat with one another and the professors about school and the world and fun random things. There is always coffee available in the IS office.

The students are rich kids from the Chicago suburbs and St. Louis and many of them probably aren't as smart as their grades show. Many people think that Bradley is a small school in a small town without much to offer.

The best thing about Bradley is the family-like atmosphere. It's not too big and not too small. I really got to know all of my professors and especially my adviser. He worked hard for me to help me get where I wanted to go, but I also had to work hard to get there. Classes are often difficult, but if you fight through it your professors will notice, because they actually know you. They had you in class and often take the time to actually learn your name and understand your goals. Many students do complain about Peoria, but that's only because they didn't give it a chance. Coming from the shadow of Chicago, Peoria can seem kind of podunk, but that's really not the case. The night-life is fun, there are several movie theaters, lots of shopping, many restaurants, a symphony, a ballet, and a fun downtown area with a beautiful river front. There's a large park close to campus. People who say there's nothing to do just don't look.

Bradley's a fairly diverse place, but the majority of students are from the Chicago-land area or the Peoria area. I've met tons of different people. There are all kinds at Bradley, you just have to go seek them out.

I love my time at BU and wouldn't hand back a moment of it!

Bradley's definitely a family-like atmosphere. I graduated in May 2008 and I loved it there, especially this aspect. Bradley is in a questionable neighborhood, but that just means that if you use your head, you'll be fine. I was always responsible and never had any problems. The students are often apathetic or feel powerless to change their world, but not everybody.

Bradley is extremely well known for its Engineering. A Bradley engineer is really sought after. I roomed with 3 female engineers and each had jobs in the works before the start of 2nd semester. I learned something important in every one of my classes. One I really enjoyed outside my major was Japan:Religion and Culture. The professor is amazing, and he is so interested in student learning. He insisted upon learning all of our names and talking to all of us. He made a class about Japan so interesting. I would have loved to take his trip to China for his Chinese religions class. I studied within the biology department with intent to attend medical school, which I am. My faculty all knew me, regardless of whether I had actually taken a class with them. The Biology faculty are truly interested in student success. My adviser told me when I left that he expected to hear from me. Not only to check in, but also to give him suggestions for improving the curriculum. If that's not interest in student success, I don't know what is.

Bradley's social scene mostly revolves around the Greek system. 1 in 3 students on campus is part of it, but that doesn't mean you need to go Greek to make friends. I chose not to join a house, and ended up having plenty of fun on campus. I was never into drinking, which meant I had to find other things to do. Just recently, Bradley's president presented a new Alcohol plan, which will provide things for students to do other than drinking. On the weekends, you can see a movie for a $1, those are fun. During the winter months, Bradley men's Basketball is king. If you like basketball, Bradley's the place to be. 2 years ago they went to the NCAA sweet sixteen. Last year they played in the NIT and this year in the CBI, making it to the championship series. If you like soccer, these games are awesome. Our soccer team made it to the Elite Eight this year. If you love sports, Bradley will help you out!

Family-like campus In a scary neighborhood Students are apathetic

Bradley University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.